Scarlet Heroes
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
The End of the World: Revolt of the Machines
The Armitage Files
Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition
Horror Companion Explorer's Edition
Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game
Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game
Horror on the Orient Express (2nd Edition)
Woodland Warriors Complete
Arcana Rising
Cepheus Engine System Reference Document
Tales from the Loop
Adventures in the Human Sphere
Myranische Formeln
H1: Keep on the Shadowfell
Deities & Demigods
Thieves' World
Dungeons & Dragons Set 1: Basic Rules
Dungeons & Dragons Set 2: Expert Rules
Mythic Game Master Emulator
GAZ2: The Emirates of Ylaruam
GAZ1: The Grand Duchy of Karameikos
Dungeons & Dragons Set 5: Immortals Rules
The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game, Volume 1: Your Story
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Chronicles of Arax: Solo Adventure Game
Stars Without Number: Core Edition
Dungeons: A Solo Adventure Game
Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
Forgive Us
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Spellbook Cards: Arcane
Spellbook Cards: Cleric
Alone Against the Flames
Blades in the Dark
Curse of Strahd
Star Trek Adventures Core Book
Albino Peacock
King Arthur Pendragon (Edition 5.2)
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
232 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] | 

Adventures in Middle-earth Player's Guide» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Adventures in Middle Earth PbF OOC Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Make sure you subscribe to this thread. I will be posting link to the IC thread when we are ready to get started. If you are new to PbF games, make sure to thumb each post as you read it so I know who has read what.

For starters, I would like to get started in character creation. One thing I would like to try is to come up with character concepts and relationships before we start generating stats, choosing features, etc. I always find it a bit odd to start an adventure with 5 or 6 random characters who have no real reason for being where they are, let alone going off on an adventure together.

So, I wold like to build those character stories first before then figuring out the game mechanics. In particular, I would like you to build connections with the other players. Not everyone needs to know everyone else, but I would expect some prior relationships.

The setting is Laketown, about five years after the defeat of Smaug, the dragon, at the Lonely Mountain. The dwarves have continued to rebuild their fortress in the mountain. Dale is in the process of being rebuilt under the leadership of Bard the Bowman (newly elected leader). Trade has become more and more common, both with the reclusive elves of Mirkwood (who even have their own quarter within town), as well as other surrounding areas, resulting in Laketown becoming gradually more cosmopolitan.

So, who are you, why are you here, and what your potential connections to others. No cultures or classes are strictly off limits, but players should be willing to bend towards what makes story sense, so I may encourage players away from some directions if I subjectively don't feel they fit the group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe D
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I am playing a Dunedain Wanderer (kinda Aragorn-esque character) in my other AiME game, so I know I DON'T want to play that style character in this game.

I'm thinking possibly a Mirkwood Elf or Man of Gondor, maybe a Hobbit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam H
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess for me it would depend on what pre-gens are available since I am new to AiME. Is there a place online I can find them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FoggyPlanet wrote:
I guess for me it would depend on what pre-gens are available since I am new to AiME. Is there a place online I can find them?

http://cubicle7.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/AME-Pregens...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex VIlle
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a Barding knight in mind or perhaps a Bree-lander bounder if I find a reason to have him travel to the Wilderland.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe D
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure where to find them, but I believe the pregens are;
barding warrior
beorning warden
dwarf of the lonely mountain treasure hunter
elf of mirkwood scholar
hobbit of the shire wanderer
woodmen of wilderland slayer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As people start throwing out general concepts, anyone may chime in with brainstorming of how to connect one character to another, even if it isn't your own. The more ideas the better. With 6 players, there can be connections on various levels (ie. you might be related to one player and an employee of another).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll probably run with either an Elf or perhaps a Dunedain...still working on the class...kind of partial to bows and scouting...

Joe, our characters interact well in the other thread, so maybe we could work out a connection when we come up with our characters...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam H
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
badgermaniac wrote:
FoggyPlanet wrote:

http://cubicle7.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/AME-Pregens...

From the pre-gens, the Beorning Warden looks fun. But I could also do the Barding Warrior if that would fit better with the group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing that would benefit the group is a variety of classes. Warriors are great, but having a counselor or treasure hunter or healer or scholar or whatever would be very useful.

If we end up with a mercenary band of warriors, we can go with that too, but just throwing it out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Riston
United States
Greenbelt
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm leaning towards a hobbit treasure hunter, but I could be convinced to play an elf wanderer if that fits the party's needs more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex VIlle
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ristonj wrote:
I'm leaning towards a hobbit treasure hunter, but I could be convinced to play an elf wanderer if that fits the party's needs more.

If you play a hobbit treasure hunter, my man of Bree can have pursued you to the Wilderland because you stole something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vilainn6 wrote:
ristonj wrote:

If you play a hobbit treasure hunter, my man of Bree can have pursued you to the Wilderland because you stole something.

FYI, a hobbit would need a very strong backstory to be in Laketown at this time (since it is very far from home), so something like this would be a start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Riston
United States
Greenbelt
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vilainn6 wrote:
ristonj wrote:

Ok that sounds good. Hmmm...maybe I ran up a bar tab that was too high to be ignored any longer? Or I stole something personal of yours, Alex? Maybe I cheated you in a game of cards?

I could have hidden among some merchants (or followed them) that were headed up to Laketown. My character wouldn't have known exactly where they were going, but figured it was better than being around an angry Bree man!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Riston
United States
Greenbelt
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ristonj wrote:
vilainn6 wrote:
ristonj wrote:

Ok that sounds good. Hmmm...maybe I ran up a bar tab that was too high to be ignored any longer? Or I stole something personal of yours, Alex? Maybe I cheated you in a game of cards?

I could have hidden among some merchants (or followed them) that were headed up to Laketown. My character wouldn't have known exactly where they were going, but figured it was better than being around an angry Bree man!

And on the way in the caravan I meet another character or two, or maybe in a town the caravan stops by on the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ristonj wrote:
vilainn6 wrote:
ristonj wrote:

Key question to answer is why you did not return to the Shire from Bree?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Riston
United States
Greenbelt
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
badgermaniac wrote:

Key question to answer is why you did not return to the Shire from Bree?

Two reasons: 1. I figured out what I'm after. I lost an emerald ring that is a family heirloom. My family is upset with me for losing it, so I am out looking for it. I don't want to return home until I found it.

2. I thought the man in Bree had it, so I broke into his house to take it. Not only did I not find the ring, but he has been chasing me ever since. I can't return to the Shire because the man will know where both I and my family live, and that's not acceptable to me. Plus he's a lot bigger than I am, and I don't think I could take him in a fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
otha62 wrote:
I'll probably run with either an Elf or perhaps a Dunedain...still working on the class...kind of partial to bows and scouting...

Joe, our characters interact well in the other thread, so maybe we could work out a connection when we come up with our characters...

Joe and Mitch...let's have both of you go with Mirkwood elves that are related or connected in some way. Bond could be very tight or even adversarial (to a point).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
badgermaniac wrote:
otha62 wrote:

Joe and Mitch...let's have both of you go with Mirkwood elves that are related or connected in some way. Bond could be very tight or even adversarial (to a point).

Sounds good to me, if it's OK by Joe...I'll work on an Elven Warrior or Wanderer...

I know we're not focused on stats just now but, for reference, will we be going with the standard array?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
otha62 wrote:
badgermaniac wrote:
otha62 wrote:

Sounds good to me, if it's OK by Joe...I'll work on an Elven Warrior or Wanderer...

I know we're not focused on stats just now but, for reference, will we be going with the standard array?

I usually give players the option of standard array or rolling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe D
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
otha62 wrote:

Sounds good Mitch. I was actually going to suggest the same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe D
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
otha62 wrote:
badgermaniac wrote:
otha62 wrote:

Sounds good to me as well. Since I'm a wanderer in the other game, I'd prefer to be a different class.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magellan1 wrote:
otha62 wrote:
badgermaniac wrote:
otha62 wrote:

Sounds good to me as well. Since I'm a wanderer in the other game, I'd prefer to be a different class.

No worries, pick whatever class you want and we can build off that. I don't mind doing the Wanderer as the party doesn't have one as yet...they're pretty versatile and are very useful during the traveling portions of the adventure...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex VIlle
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ristonj wrote:
vilainn6 wrote:
ristonj wrote:

Now we need a reason to work in the same group. Perhaps the accusations were wrong and you were innocent. I could have decided to help you find another emerald to replace the one you lost as an excuse to see more of the world.

4d6l = (3 + 4 + 1 + 5) = 12
4d6l = (2 + 4 + 5 + 6) = 15
4d6l = (5 + 2 + 6 + 2) = 13
4d6l = (1 + 3 + 3 + 3) = 9
4d6l = (2 + 4 + 6 + 6) = 16
4d6l = (1 + 6 + 2 + 6) = 14
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1112524. vilainn6
  • 4d6l =
  • (3 + 4 + 1 + 5) =
  • Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:08 pm
  • [+]
  • 1112525. vilainn6
  • 4d6l =
  • (2 + 4 + 5 + 6) =
  • Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:09 pm
  • [+]
  • 1112526. vilainn6
  • 4d6l =
  • (5 + 2 + 6 + 2) =
  • [+]
  • 1112529. vilainn6
  • 4d6l =
  • (1 + 3 + 3 + 3) =
  • [+]
  • 1112530. vilainn6
  • 4d6l =
  • (2 + 4 + 6 + 6) =
  • [+]
  • 1112531. vilainn6
  • 4d6l =
  • (1 + 6 + 2 + 6) =
  • Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:10 pm
John Riston
United States
Greenbelt
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or you caught up with me. I told you it was a case of mistaken identity. I apologized profusely and you took pity on my story of the emerald. I promised you a reward if you helped me find it.

The trail of the missing ring led us to Laketown. That brings us to today. Does that work?

4d6l = (6 + 5 + 4 + 1) = 15
4d6l = (5 + 5 + 3 + 3) = 13
4d6l = (4 + 6 + 6 + 5) = 17
4d6l = (3 + 5 + 5 + 4) = 14
4d6l = (2 + 5 + 6 + 5) = 16
4d6l = (3 + 6 + 3 + 4) = 13

Well, I think I just used all my karma for the entire adventure right here!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1112722. ristonj
  • 4d6l =
  • (6 + 5 + 4 + 1) =
  • Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:48 pm
  • [+]
  • 1112723. ristonj
  • 4d6l =
  • (5 + 5 + 3 + 3) =
  • [+]
  • 1112724. ristonj
  • 4d6l =
  • (4 + 6 + 6 + 5) =
  • [+]
  • 1112725. ristonj
  • 4d6l =
  • (3 + 5 + 5 + 4) =
  • [+]
  • 1112726. ristonj
  • 4d6l =
  • (2 + 5 + 6 + 5) =
  • [+]
  • 1112727. ristonj
  • 4d6l =
  • (3 + 6 + 3 + 4) =
  • Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:49 pm
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.