The Hotness
Games|People|Company
Legacy of Dragonholt
The Starship From Hell
Realms of Terrinoth
Swordthrust
The One Ring: Adventures over the Edge of the Wild
Fate Core System
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
The End of the World: Wrath of the Gods
Wet Hot American Summer: Fantasy Camp
Being a role-playing game on the topic of the High-Flying adventures of Beatrice Henrietta Bristol-Smythe, DBE, daring Aviatrix and accomplished Exploratrix, and her Gentleman Companion, who for a Modest Fee, accompanies Beatrice ... [truncated]
The Final Bug
Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game
Mutant: Year Zero Core Book
Lone Wolf Adventure Game
Starfinder Core Rulebook
Starfinder Pact Worlds
Dark Terrors
Ruins of Matolo: Discovery
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay
Middle-earth Role Playing (1st Edition)
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game
Star Trek: The Role Playing Game Second Edition
Doctor Who: Adventures in Time and Space – The Roleplaying Game (10th Doctor)
Cthulhu Britannica: Avalon: The County of Somerset
Mini Six Bare Bones Edition
Numenera
Horror on the Orient Express (2nd Edition)
Strategy Guide
Out of the Abyss
Leagues of Gothic Horror
Tales from the Yawning Portal
Tales from the Loop
Adventures in Reasoning: Communal Inquiry through Fantasy Role-Play
FateShoe
Players Handbook (AD&D 1e)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles & Other Strangeness
One of the Living
AMBER Diceless Role-Playing
Omlevex
Road Hogs
Savage Worlds Explorer's Edition
Old World Bestiary
Dread
Chivalry & Sorcery: Warfare & Wizardry in the Feudal Age
Thieves' World
Paranoia (Mongoose Edition)
Book 38: Vault of the Vampire
Adventure 09: Nomads of the World-Ocean
My Life with Master
The Zantabulous Zorcerer of Zo
Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
255 Posts
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [11] | 

Adventures in Middle-earth Player's Guide» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Adventures in Middle Earth PbF OOC Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I also liked the tie in for our Beorning. Helping to save an innocent AND having it possibly linked to the evil of the Shadow would be very in-character.

We still need a connection between the two elves + Beorning and the hobbit + man of Bree.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, guys.

Since I'm guessing it's been a couple of years or so since they've been apart, maybe the older brother is in such good standing with the army that he'd been given leave at the behest of his father to search out his lost brother...he could've gotten word of the younger's whereabouts from Adam's character on a chance meeting in Mirkwood (with Adam's character possibly mistaking him for his younger brother)...and the army gave him permission as long as he completed a minor diplomatic duty while on leave, consulting on city defenses with their Laketown allies. That would also tie both elves to Adam's character...and when they meet in Mirkwood, that could maybe be done up to reflect your idea of the Beorning rescuing an innocent...

Just rambling a bit...I know Joe probably has some good ideas as he came up with the love triangle idea that got me going to begin with...

As far as the Bree man and hobbit, my character could've met the Bree man west of Mirkwood and helped him track the hobbit he was searching for...or he could've met the both of them on the road to Laketown...

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam H
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
badgermaniac wrote:
I also liked the tie in for our Beorning. Helping to save an innocent AND having it possibly linked to the evil of the Shadow would be very in-character.

We still need a connection between the two elves + Beorning and the hobbit + man of Bree.


Maybe the same orcs who took the elf maiden also took the hobbit's/bree man's treasure?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
otha62 wrote:
Thanks, guys.

Since I'm guessing it's been a couple of years or so since they've been apart, maybe the older brother is in such good standing with the army that he'd been given leave at the behest of his father to search out his lost brother...he could've gotten word of the younger's whereabouts from Adam's character on a chance meeting in Mirkwood (with Adam's character possibly mistaking him for his younger brother)...and the army gave him permission as long as he completed a minor diplomatic duty to work while on leave, consulting on city defenses with their Laketown allies. That would also tie both elves to Adam's character...and when they meet in Mirkwood, that could maybe be done up to reflect your idea of the Beornings rescuing an innocent...

Just rambling a bit...I know Joe probably has some good ideas as he came up with the love triangle idea that got me going to begin with...

As far as the Bree man and hobbit, my character could've met the Bree man west of Mirkwood and helped him track the hobbit he was searching for...or he could've met the both of them on the road to Laketown...


Maybe he volunteered to be stationed at Laketown as an envoy from Mirkwood (and hopes to quietly investigate the disappearance on the side?)

After reading your idea again though, I like of like your take better.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
badgermaniac wrote:
otha62 wrote:
Thanks, guys.

Since I'm guessing it's been a couple of years or so since they've been apart, maybe the older brother is in such good standing with the army that he'd been given leave at the behest of his father to search out his lost brother...he could've gotten word of the younger's whereabouts from Adam's character on a chance meeting in Mirkwood (with Adam's character possibly mistaking him for his younger brother)...and the army gave him permission as long as he completed a minor diplomatic duty to work while on leave, consulting on city defenses with their Laketown allies. That would also tie both elves to Adam's character...and when they meet in Mirkwood, that could maybe be done up to reflect your idea of the Beornings rescuing an innocent...

Just rambling a bit...I know Joe probably has some good ideas as he came up with the love triangle idea that got me going to begin with...

As far as the Bree man and hobbit, my character could've met the Bree man west of Mirkwood and helped him track the hobbit he was searching for...or he could've met the both of them on the road to Laketown...


Maybe he volunteered to be stationed at Laketown as an envoy from Mirkwood (and hopes to quietly investigate the disappearance on the side?)


That's good...I like that even better...
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's talk more about the hobbit/Bree man situation. As I think I noted earlier, what I would like to focus on is not that something was missing, but via this chance encounter, both men (or women) have discovered something that binds their purpose.

I really like the "stole the wrong thing...being pursued" start, but think it needs to evolve beyond that. I think it would be cool if both of them were thrown into adventure beyond what was anticipated; your classic hero's journey stuff. It needs to be something that truly binds them despite their rough start.

How about the hobbit, looking for an heirloom, steals whatever it is. Maybe the Bree-man DID have the hobbit's heirloom, but did not realize that a superior had stolen it to acquire it? Maybe introduce a family stain/disloyalty or something that the man from Bree winds up having to make amends for? What if the deceased father of the man from Bree was actually a secretive operative of the Shadow (or has the appearance of working for them)?

The hobbit flees, unable to return to the Shire, stowing away on a trade caravan to Lake-Town. As the Bree-man pursues, the hobbit saves his life somehow or comes to his aid, which opens up their dialogue. The hobbit and man from Bree now have a common goal. The man from Bree wants to clear his father's name (or discover the truth). The hobbit, alarmed at the presence of a Shadow operative in the Shire, realizes that danger is near and wishes to do what he can to protect his homeland.

This would also connect them with the other three, who are eager to investigate for possible related reasons.

Again, just throwing out ideas. I would like feedback from Alex and John (though anyone can throw out ideas of course.)
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex VIlle
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What about the heirbloom of the hobbit was stolen by another criminal who is my long time nemesis but I never was able to catch him because lack of proofs. Taking advantage of my departure to track the hobbit, he engineer a plan to accuse me of being in league with the hobbit.

When I finally catch my quarry with the help of the beorning (being two warden, He could have wanted to help me) and Mitch's elf, I try to bring him back to Bree. We were intercepted by other men wanting to capture me. The hobbit save us both and now we are in exile in a foreign land, trying to restore our innoncense, catch the real culprit, and return the jewel to the hobbit.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Hi all -
Paul graciously invited me to introduce myself to you all as it looks like a some of the group haven't shown up. I'm very excited to take part.

He mentioned a need for a local Barding and I'm happy to take on the role. I'm thinking a descendant of Bard the Bowman from a part of the family that never really fit in as part of the local nobility of the line. Has the name but is more of a regular working stiff. Maybe has a bit of a chip on his shoulder but balanced by a bit of bravado. Probably a slight, social drinking problem. You know, likeable loud guy buying rounds after a hard days work as a...hmm, blacksmith? Builder? Cooper? I'll have to think.

I skimmed the thread above...I think one of you guys was also considering Barding? If so, we can develop a family connection there? If not, maybe a more business-related connection, brought on board for certain skills.

I grabbed the ME player's handbook and will look a bit more at character development during the weekend. Anyway, looking forward to working on this with you all.



6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
esirof wrote:
Hi all -
Paul graciously invited me to introduce myself to you all as it looks like a some of the group haven't shown up. I'm very excited to take part.

He mentioned a need for a local Barding and I'm happy to take on the role. I'm thinking a descendant of Bard the Bowman...


Welcome aboard!

While you have a great idea for a character, you might want to check with Paul about his descent. I could be wrong, but I think at the time of the AiME RPG, only a few years have passed since the death of Smaug and Bard is King of Dale; his only descendants would be his children.

Your character could still be related though; I'm sure Paul will pipe in and let you know for sure as I could be wrong...
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe D
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
esirof wrote:
Hi all -
Paul graciously invited me to introduce myself to you all as it looks like a some of the group haven't shown up. I'm very excited to take part.

He mentioned a need for a local Barding and I'm happy to take on the role. I'm thinking a descendant of Bard the Bowman from a part of the family that never really fit in as part of the local nobility of the line. Has the name but is more of a regular working stiff. Maybe has a bit of a chip on his shoulder but balanced by a bit of bravado. Probably a slight, social drinking problem. You know, likeable loud guy buying rounds after a hard days work as a...hmm, blacksmith? Builder? Cooper? I'll have to think.

I skimmed the thread above...I think one of you guys was also considering Barding? If so, we can develop a family connection there? If not, maybe a more business-related connection, brought on board for certain skills.

I grabbed the ME player's handbook and will look a bit more at character development during the weekend. Anyway, looking forward to working on this with you all.



Hello and welcome!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
otha62 wrote:
I could be wrong, but I think at the time of the AiME RPG, only a few years have passed since the death of Smaug and Bard is King of Dale; his only descendants would be his children.


Ah...yeah...it would probably help for me to read the thread (like Paul's first post) before posting. I was just excited to jump in.

Anyway, that's no problem. Could be part of the wider family (a nephew or something?) who has watched Bard's rise, but is off on the periphery. Maybe trading on the family relation for a bit of personal notoriety without, you know, having done anything to earn it. He'll still be a social drunk ;-) But now, maybe even somewhat against his will, he has a chance to earn the name.

Anyone, glad to be here and looking forward to chatting.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
otha62 wrote:
esirof wrote:
Hi all -
Paul graciously invited me to introduce myself to you all as it looks like a some of the group haven't shown up. I'm very excited to take part.

He mentioned a need for a local Barding and I'm happy to take on the role. I'm thinking a descendant of Bard the Bowman...


Welcome aboard!

While you have a great idea for a character, you might want to check with Paul about his descent. I could be wrong, but I think at the time of the AiME RPG, only a few years have passed since the death of Smaug and Bard is King of Dale; his only descendants would be his children.

Your character could still be related though; I'm sure Paul will pipe in and let you know for sure as I could be wrong...


Nobody else will have a Barding, so Gunky would be it.

Correct on the timeline. He could be related, but not a descendant. Otherwise, I like the start. No need to really be too specific on why he is in Laketown...maybe a merchant or running errands or whatever. However, we will need to build a connection with the group in some way.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
esirof wrote:
otha62 wrote:
I could be wrong, but I think at the time of the AiME RPG, only a few years have passed since the death of Smaug and Bard is King of Dale; his only descendants would be his children.


Ah...yeah...it would probably help for me to read the thread (like Paul's first post) before posting. I was just excited to jump in.

Anyway, that's no problem. Could be part of the wider family (a nephew or something?) who has watched Bard's rise, but is off on the periphery. Maybe trading on the family relation for a bit of personal notoriety without, you know, having done anything to earn it. He'll still be a social drunk ;-) But now, maybe even somewhat against his will, he has a chance to earn the name.

Anyone, glad to be here and looking forward to chatting.


We already have a fair amount of family disfunction, so I kind of like the angle of someone who is fiercely loyal to Bard, perhaps to a fault. H I think this would tie in well with what you have above....maybe he is a bit obnoxious or pompous about it and isn't terribly self-aware. Maybe it is an internal thing for him. I like the idea that he is maybe a distant cousin or something and very young and has not grown into realizing that his actions speak louder than his words.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crimson Fox
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Magellan1 wrote:
I'm not sure where to find them, but I believe the pregens are;
barding warrior
beorning warden
dwarf of the lonely mountain treasure hunter
elf of mirkwood scholar
hobbit of the shire wanderer
woodmen of wilderland slayer


i'll be beorning warden then done and done
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crimson Fox
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
badgermaniac wrote:
otha62 wrote:
So,I'll be a Mirkwood Elf Wanderer...

Starting money roll: otha62 previously rolled 3d6 = (5 + 2 + 3) = 10

From our starting equipment. Can we sell the stuff we don't want/need at half price?

Also, for my Known Lands feature...are there specific areas you'd like me to either concentrate on or avoid or shall I just wing it?

Working on my background...once I get a feel for Joe's character, and he for mine, we'll work on the connection...

And Adam, since I'm a Wanderer, we could probably work up a connection to whatever pregen you decide on...

Is the
Crimson Fox
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
still planning on joining us?


I would focus on the areas surrounding Mirkwood.

Before we get too deep, we need to build that connection first. Then, we need to connect you two with the others.

I have not heard anything from CrimsonFox, but I have another player waiting in the wings.


ive been busy with holiday stuff and didn't notice this started. DId you replace me already?
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex VIlle
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CrimsonFox wrote:
badgermaniac wrote:
otha62 wrote:
So,I'll be a Mirkwood Elf Wanderer...

Starting money roll: otha62 previously rolled 3d6 = (5 + 2 + 3) = 10

From our starting equipment. Can we sell the stuff we don't want/need at half price?

Also, for my Known Lands feature...are there specific areas you'd like me to either concentrate on or avoid or shall I just wing it?

Working on my background...once I get a feel for Joe's character, and he for mine, we'll work on the connection...

And Adam, since I'm a Wanderer, we could probably work up a connection to whatever pregen you decide on...

Is the
Crimson Fox
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
still planning on joining us?


I would focus on the areas surrounding Mirkwood.

Before we get too deep, we need to build that connection first. Then, we need to connect you two with the others.

I have not heard anything from CrimsonFox, but I have another player waiting in the wings.


ive been busy with holiday stuff and didn't notice this started. DId you replace me already?


I think so. Gunky wasn't in the initial recruitment thread.
6 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CrimsonFox wrote:
badgermaniac wrote:
otha62 wrote:
So,I'll be a Mirkwood Elf Wanderer...

Starting money roll: otha62 previously rolled 3d6 = (5 + 2 + 3) = 10

From our starting equipment. Can we sell the stuff we don't want/need at half price?

Also, for my Known Lands feature...are there specific areas you'd like me to either concentrate on or avoid or shall I just wing it?

Working on my background...once I get a feel for Joe's character, and he for mine, we'll work on the connection...

And Adam, since I'm a Wanderer, we could probably work up a connection to whatever pregen you decide on...

Is the
Crimson Fox
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
still planning on joining us?


I would focus on the areas surrounding Mirkwood.

Before we get too deep, we need to build that connection first. Then, we need to connect you two with the others.

I have not heard anything from CrimsonFox, but I have another player waiting in the wings.


ive been busy with holiday stuff and didn't notice this started. DId you replace me already?


Sorry to say yes. We had to move on when you didn't make your way over here. Sorry....maybe next time.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
badgermaniac wrote:
esirof wrote:
otha62 wrote:
I could be wrong, but I think at the time of the AiME RPG, only a few years have passed since the death of Smaug and Bard is King of Dale; his only descendants would be his children.


Ah...yeah...it would probably help for me to read the thread (like Paul's first post) before posting. I was just excited to jump in.

Anyway, that's no problem. Could be part of the wider family (a nephew or something?) who has watched Bard's rise, but is off on the periphery. Maybe trading on the family relation for a bit of personal notoriety without, you know, having done anything to earn it. He'll still be a social drunk ;-) But now, maybe even somewhat against his will, he has a chance to earn the name.

Anyone, glad to be here and looking forward to chatting.


We already have a fair amount of family disfunction, so I kind of like the angle of someone who is fiercely loyal to Bard, perhaps to a fault. H I think this would tie in well with what you have above....maybe he is a bit obnoxious or pompous about it and isn't terribly self-aware. Maybe it is an internal thing for him. I like the idea that he is maybe a distant cousin or something and very young and has not grown into realizing that his actions speak louder than his words.


That works--ties with the idea of him wanting to prove himself/earn the Barding name. He covers inexperience with bluster and bravado (you know, your basic early twenty-something male :-) ).

Thinking a bit more about who he is, I need to spend a bit of time with the player's guide, but I think it would make sense for him to have tried to model himself on Bard the Bowman, but he is not the same. He needs to find and have his own strengths. I think he'd certainly aspire to the city watch, but maybe he's a disappointingly poor shot (something that would undoubtedly irk him to no end).

His tie in to the group...I can see either of the background branches you have developed so far arriving at Laketown and seeking out a local for information/resources/help from someone influential. The name alone might make them think he has something to offer and, of course, he'd be happy to oblige if only to make himself feel important. He could have been compelled for political reasons to help the group looking for the elf. Or he might have been assigned to look into the arrival of the possible hobbit thief and thief-taker on his tale.

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
esirof wrote:
badgermaniac wrote:
esirof wrote:
otha62 wrote:
I could be wrong, but I think at the time of the AiME RPG, only a few years have passed since the death of Smaug and Bard is King of Dale; his only descendants would be his children.


Ah...yeah...it would probably help for me to read the thread (like Paul's first post) before posting. I was just excited to jump in.

Anyway, that's no problem. Could be part of the wider family (a nephew or something?) who has watched Bard's rise, but is off on the periphery. Maybe trading on the family relation for a bit of personal notoriety without, you know, having done anything to earn it. He'll still be a social drunk ;-) But now, maybe even somewhat against his will, he has a chance to earn the name.

Anyone, glad to be here and looking forward to chatting.


We already have a fair amount of family disfunction, so I kind of like the angle of someone who is fiercely loyal to Bard, perhaps to a fault. H I think this would tie in well with what you have above....maybe he is a bit obnoxious or pompous about it and isn't terribly self-aware. Maybe it is an internal thing for him. I like the idea that he is maybe a distant cousin or something and very young and has not grown into realizing that his actions speak louder than his words.


That works--ties with the idea of him wanting to prove himself/earn the Barding name. He covers inexperience with bluster and bravado (you know, your basic early twenty-something male :-) ).

Thinking a bit more about who he is, I need to spend a bit of time with the player's guide, but I think it would make sense for him to have tried to model himself on Bard the Bowman, but he is not the same. He needs to find and have his own strengths. I think he'd certainly aspire to the city watch, but maybe he's a disappointingly poor shot (something that would undoubtedly irk him to no end).

His tie in to the group...I can see either of the background branches you have developed so far arriving at Laketown and seeking out a local for information/resources/help from someone influential. The name alone might make them think he has something to offer and, of course, he'd be happy to oblige if only to make himself feel important. He could have been compelled for political reasons to help the group looking for the elf. Or he might have been assigned to look into the arrival of the possible hobbit thief and thief-taker on his tale.



It could also be something as simple as Bard sending him over to Laketown to assist the party. Maybe the Elf Warrior, as envoy, has brought the situation up to Bard. However, maybe Bard has his plate full and doesn't want to deal with something relatively trivial, so he sends over his self-important cousin as a way to get him out of his hair.

I like characters like this as they have so much potential for growth, which is very fitting with Tolkien's characters. Growing into a hero can be a lot more fun than starting out as a hero.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
badgermaniac wrote:
esirof wrote:
badgermaniac wrote:
esirof wrote:
otha62 wrote:
I could be wrong, but I think at the time of the AiME RPG, only a few years have passed since the death of Smaug and Bard is King of Dale; his only descendants would be his children.


Ah...yeah...it would probably help for me to read the thread (like Paul's first post) before posting. I was just excited to jump in.

Anyway, that's no problem. Could be part of the wider family (a nephew or something?) who has watched Bard's rise, but is off on the periphery. Maybe trading on the family relation for a bit of personal notoriety without, you know, having done anything to earn it. He'll still be a social drunk ;-) But now, maybe even somewhat against his will, he has a chance to earn the name.

Anyone, glad to be here and looking forward to chatting.


We already have a fair amount of family disfunction, so I kind of like the angle of someone who is fiercely loyal to Bard, perhaps to a fault. H I think this would tie in well with what you have above....maybe he is a bit obnoxious or pompous about it and isn't terribly self-aware. Maybe it is an internal thing for him. I like the idea that he is maybe a distant cousin or something and very young and has not grown into realizing that his actions speak louder than his words.


That works--ties with the idea of him wanting to prove himself/earn the Barding name. He covers inexperience with bluster and bravado (you know, your basic early twenty-something male :-) ).

Thinking a bit more about who he is, I need to spend a bit of time with the player's guide, but I think it would make sense for him to have tried to model himself on Bard the Bowman, but he is not the same. He needs to find and have his own strengths. I think he'd certainly aspire to the city watch, but maybe he's a disappointingly poor shot (something that would undoubtedly irk him to no end).

His tie in to the group...I can see either of the background branches you have developed so far arriving at Laketown and seeking out a local for information/resources/help from someone influential. The name alone might make them think he has something to offer and, of course, he'd be happy to oblige if only to make himself feel important. He could have been compelled for political reasons to help the group looking for the elf. Or he might have been assigned to look into the arrival of the possible hobbit thief and thief-taker on his tale.



It could also be something as simple as Bard sending him over to Laketown to assist the party. Maybe the Elf Warrior, as envoy, has brought the situation up to Bard. However, maybe Bard has his plate full and doesn't want to deal with something relatively trivial, so he sends over his self-important cousin as a way to get him out of his hair.

I like characters like this as they have so much potential for growth, which is very fitting with Tolkien's characters. Growing into a hero can be a lot more fun than starting out as a hero.


I think we are on the same page!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
badgermaniac wrote:

It could also be something as simple as Bard sending him over to Laketown to assist the party. Maybe the Elf Warrior, as envoy, has brought the situation up to Bard. However, maybe Bard has his plate full and doesn't want to deal with something relatively trivial, so he sends over his self-important cousin as a way to get him out of his hair.

I like characters like this as they have so much potential for growth, which is very fitting with Tolkien's characters. Growing into a hero can be a lot more fun than starting out as a hero.

That sounds really good...
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
vilainn6 wrote:
What about the heirbloom of the hobbit was stolen by another criminal who is my long time nemesis but I never was able to catch him because lack of proofs. Taking advantage of my departure to track the hobbit, he engineer a plan to accuse me of being in league with the hobbit.

When I finally catch my quarry with the help of the beorning (being two warden, He could have wanted to help me) and Mitch's elf, I try to bring him back to Bree. We were intercepted by other men wanting to capture me. The hobbit save us both and now we are in exile in a foreign land, trying to restore our innoncense, catch the real culprit, and return the jewel to the hobbit.


More good stuff here. The issue I am having is that the returning the jewel can't be the main story line. It has to be a intro story line that gets the characters to the here and now. However, it has to be something that can be abandoned (for now) to fit into the planned story line or the other characters and their agenda.

Can we work this more as a backstory that built connections but has more or less been resolved? Again, I like the approach that what started as a more or less petty disagreement has built into something more, which brings you to the here and now.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
badgermaniac wrote:
vilainn6 wrote:
What about the heirbloom of the hobbit was stolen by another criminal who is my long time nemesis but I never was able to catch him because lack of proofs. Taking advantage of my departure to track the hobbit, he engineer a plan to accuse me of being in league with the hobbit.

When I finally catch my quarry with the help of the beorning (being two warden, He could have wanted to help me) and Mitch's elf, I try to bring him back to Bree. We were intercepted by other men wanting to capture me. The hobbit save us both and now we are in exile in a foreign land, trying to restore our innoncense, catch the real culprit, and return the jewel to the hobbit.


More good stuff here. The issue I am having is that the returning the jewel can't be the main story line. It has to be a intro story line that gets the characters to the here and now. However, it has to be something that can be abandoned (for now) to fit into the planned story line or the other characters and their agenda.

Can we work this more as a backstory that built connections but has more or less been resolved? Again, I like the approach that what started as a more or less petty disagreement has built into something more, which brings you to the here and now.

An idea popped into my head after reading this...say Alex's heirloom is stolen by his nemesis. This nemesis frames the hobbit for the crime and then skedaddles to the east. The hobbit goes after him trying to clear his name...but Alex's character thinks the hobbit has ran off with his heirloom and tracks him. Just as he catches up to and confronts the hobbit, they're set upon by Orcs (or some such) near the house of Beorn...these are Orcs that the Beornings (including the Beorning warden and the younger elf) have been hunting. They are saved from a grisly ending, in particular by the Beorning warden...when they finally talk, the hobbit explains and shows that he doesn't have the heirloom, but's trying to clear his name by going after the nemesis dude.

The Beorning warden tells them he knows a skilled tracker that might help them; he introduces him to the young elf who, since the Orc hunt is over, agrees to track their target for a while since he's heading east to Laketown any way. He tracks the guy down, but leaves the bree man and hobbit to handle the situation and bids them farewell. They confront, fight, and kill the man...they retrieve the heirloom but the man's dying words haunt them both as he reveals he's an agent of Shadow and implies that the Bree man's father was also (might not be true)...since they determined the nemesis was headed to Laketown, they decide to head there as well, to both clear the Bree man's father as well as trying to keep their homeland safe from Shadow...

Just an idea; feel free to use, embellish, or discard any or all of it...
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
otha62 wrote:
badgermaniac wrote:
vilainn6 wrote:
What about the heirbloom of the hobbit was stolen by another criminal who is my long time nemesis but I never was able to catch him because lack of proofs. Taking advantage of my departure to track the hobbit, he engineer a plan to accuse me of being in league with the hobbit.

When I finally catch my quarry with the help of the beorning (being two warden, He could have wanted to help me) and Mitch's elf, I try to bring him back to Bree. We were intercepted by other men wanting to capture me. The hobbit save us both and now we are in exile in a foreign land, trying to restore our innoncense, catch the real culprit, and return the jewel to the hobbit.


More good stuff here. The issue I am having is that the returning the jewel can't be the main story line. It has to be a intro story line that gets the characters to the here and now. However, it has to be something that can be abandoned (for now) to fit into the planned story line or the other characters and their agenda.

Can we work this more as a backstory that built connections but has more or less been resolved? Again, I like the approach that what started as a more or less petty disagreement has built into something more, which brings you to the here and now.

An idea popped into my head after reading this...say Alex's heirloom is stolen by his nemesis. This nemesis frames the hobbit for the crime and then skedaddles to the east. The hobbit goes after him trying to clear his name...but Alex's character thinks the hobbit has ran off with his heirloom and tracks him. Just as he catches up to and confronts the hobbit, they're set upon by Orcs (or some such) near the house of Beorn...these are Orcs that the Beornings (including the Beorning warden and the younger elf) have been hunting. They are saved from a grisly ending, in particular by the Beorning warden...when they finally talk, the hobbit explains and shows that he doesn't have the heirloom, but's trying to clear his name by going after the nemesis dude.

The Beorning warden tells them he knows a skilled tracker that might help them; he introduces him to the young elf who, since the Orc hunt is over, agrees to track their target for a while since he's heading east to Laketown any way. He tracks the guy down, but leaves the bree man and hobbit to handle the situation and bids them farewell. They confront, fight, and kill the man...they retrieve the heirloom but the man's dying words haunt them both as he reveals he's an agent of Shadow and implies that the Bree man's father was also (might not be true)...since they determined the nemesis was headed to Laketown, they decide to head there as well, to both clear the Bree man's father as well as trying to keep their homeland safe from Shadow...

Just an idea; feel free to use, embellish, or discard any or all of it...


Bingo. You tied that up masterfully.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to step out, but later today, I will give an update, but I think we are close to tying up the connections/backgrounds.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [11] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.