The Hotness
Games|People|Company
Legacy of Dragonholt
The Orc in the Well
Waterdeep: Dragon Heist
Fate Accelerated
Delta Green
The Savage World of My Little Pony (4th Edition)
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Princes of the Apocalypse
Tales from the Loop
Legend of the Five Rings Roleplaying – Beginner Game
Keeper Rulebook
Cthulhu Confidential Core Rulebook
Adventurer's Vault 2
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Core Set
Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition
Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Blades in the Dark
The Monster Alphabet
The GameMaster's Apprentice
Storm King's Thunder
The 7th Edition Guide to Cthulhu Invictus
Harlem Unbound
Overlight Rulebook
Ironsworn
Original Adventures Reincarnated #1: Into the Borderlands
Sigmata: This Signal Kills Fascists
Trick or Treat
Star Wars Roleplaying Game: Saga Edition
RuneQuest (2nd Edition)
Dogs in the Vineyard
Hardwired: The Sourcebook
Ghostbusters
Mythic Game Master Emulator
X2: Castle Amber (Château d'Amberville)
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook
The Great Pendragon Campaign
Book 1: The War-Torn Kingdom
Heart of Ice
GURPS Low-Tech Companion 3: Daily Life and Economics
Dungeon World Roleplaying Game
Suns of Fortune
Lords of Nal Hutta
Coriolis Quickstart Set
My Little Pony: Tails of Equestria, The Storytelling Game
Genesys Core Rulebook
The Death Knight's Squire: A 5E Solo Gamebook
Kids on Bikes
Masks of Nyarlathotep (5th edition)
Legend of the Five Rings RPG: Core Rulebook
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
290 Posts
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [12] | 

Adventures in Middle-earth Player's Guide» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Adventures in Middle Earth PbF OOC Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe D
United States
Detroit
Michigan
flag msg tools
For the Emperor!
badge
No world shall be beyond my rule; no enemy shall be beyond my wrath.
mbmbmbmbmb
otha62 wrote:
badgermaniac wrote:
vilainn6 wrote:
What about the heirbloom of the hobbit was stolen by another criminal who is my long time nemesis but I never was able to catch him because lack of proofs. Taking advantage of my departure to track the hobbit, he engineer a plan to accuse me of being in league with the hobbit.

When I finally catch my quarry with the help of the beorning (being two warden, He could have wanted to help me) and Mitch's elf, I try to bring him back to Bree. We were intercepted by other men wanting to capture me. The hobbit save us both and now we are in exile in a foreign land, trying to restore our innoncense, catch the real culprit, and return the jewel to the hobbit.

More good stuff here. The issue I am having is that the returning the jewel can't be the main story line. It has to be a intro story line that gets the characters to the here and now. However, it has to be something that can be abandoned (for now) to fit into the planned story line or the other characters and their agenda.

Can we work this more as a backstory that built connections but has more or less been resolved? Again, I like the approach that what started as a more or less petty disagreement has built into something more, which brings you to the here and now.

An idea popped into my head after reading this...say Alex's heirloom is stolen by his nemesis. This nemesis frames the hobbit for the crime and then skedaddles to the east. The hobbit goes after him trying to clear his name...but Alex's character thinks the hobbit has ran off with his heirloom and tracks him. Just as he catches up to and confronts the hobbit, they're set upon by Orcs (or some such) near the house of Beorn...these are Orcs that the Beornings (including the Beorning warden and the younger elf) have been hunting. They are saved from a grisly ending, in particular by the Beorning warden...when they finally talk, the hobbit explains and shows that he doesn't have the heirloom, but's trying to clear his name by going after the nemesis dude.

The Beorning warden tells them he knows a skilled tracker that might help them; he introduces him to the young elf who, since the Orc hunt is over, agrees to track their target for a while since he's heading east to Laketown any way. He tracks the guy down, but leaves the bree man and hobbit to handle the situation and bids them farewell. They confront, fight, and kill the man...they retrieve the heirloom but the man's dying words haunt them both as he reveals he's an agent of Shadow and implies that the Bree man's father was also (might not be true)...since they determined the nemesis was headed to Laketown, they decide to head there as well, to both clear the Bree man's father as well as trying to keep their homeland safe from Shadow...

Just an idea; feel free to use, embellish, or discard any or all of it...

Nicely done Mitch!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK. Here is what I have (short versions):

Mitch: Elf wanderer in search of missing girl following trail to LT.

Joe: Elf warrior (Mitch's brother), but the warrior who wants to find girl, but more committed to his duty. On assignment to LT but may stray.

Gunky: Barding trying to live up to family name; assigned by Bard to LT to assist Joe.

Adam: Beorning warden-suspects like of elf disappearance to the Shadow; also saved Bree-man and hobbit from potential Shadow agents near Beorn's land, strengthening his resolve.

John: hobbit treasure hunter falsely accused flees to LT to clear name

Alex: Bree-land bounder chasing down John, before realizing theft not what he believed.

Everyone can write up full backgrounds when they start completing their character.

When ready, you can head to our Roll20 page where blank character sheets are waiting for you. Let me know when you have signed in (as well as what your Roll20 username is if it is not obvious) and I will give you control over your sheet. You can then work on the sheet online. I have not used Roll20 for the AIME version of 5e, but have used it quite a bit so if you are struggling, just let me know and I can assist. If you want to post your entire character in this thread as John did, I would be happy to input the info onto the page. (In fact, I am going to start on John's just to see if there is anything I need to watch out for.)

We will discuss whether you want me to keep this updated or whether you want to do it (but later).

I know some of you have rolled already for basic attributes, but if you have not, you can roll in this thread. Or, you may use the standard point buy system.

Other rolls required should also go in this thread.

Here it the link to our Roll20 game.

https://app.roll20.net/join/2359437/9R3j-g

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe D
United States
Detroit
Michigan
flag msg tools
For the Emperor!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joe d. is my username
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Paul,

My username is otha62@yahoo.com and my Display Name is Mitch W. Is that all you need? First time using Roll20 so if you need anything else, gimme a holler...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those that are new, equipment can be dragged over from the 5e SRD which is under the "i" (information) menu. Big help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mitch and Joe are ready to go.

John, you have been assigned to your character page, though most is done already based on what you had in your draft. You will certainly need to write up your background.

To save time, you can certainly cut and paste items from this thread when writing things up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
You and me...We're in this together now...None of them can stop us now...We will make it through somehow
mbmbmb
Hey Paul. I'm logged into roll20 as Evan S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
esirof wrote:
Hey Paul. I'm logged into roll20 as Evan S.

Your sheet has been assigned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
badgermaniac wrote:

John, you have been assigned to your character page, though most is done already based on what you had in your draft. You will certainly need to write up your background.

To save time, you can certainly cut and paste items from this thread when writing things up.

Thanks...maybe I'm missing something but how do I access the character sheet? I can't seem to find it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex VIlle
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My user name is Alex V.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam H
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine is Adam H.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
otha62 wrote:
badgermaniac wrote:

Thanks...maybe I'm missing something but how do I access the character sheet? I can't seem to find it...

My bad....did not make them visible to the players. Should be fixed now. Go to the right hand side and look for the newspaper/journal icon.

Everyone has been assigned a character sheet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adam....you may already know this and just not be done yet, but don't forget the bio page. This includes your physical description. I cut and pasted your background from the bio page. I would also like you to add a paragraph about the incidents that built your connections to some of the other characters.

Otherwise, looks good.

One thing I did notice is that it looks like you did everything manually. For the sake of the others, let me explain a short cut.

Let's say you possess a shortsword. If you go to the SRD under the "I (information)" menu, you can do a search for shortsword. Just click and drag it into your inventory and all the associated data (weight, type of weapon, damage, etc.) are automatically entered, not only in your inventory, but also your attack space.

The attack space should never have to be filled out by you. The program handles everything (to hit, damage, etc.) automatically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I noticed is the the AIME has different armor names than standard 5e.

So, when looking for your armor to drag into your inventory, here is the translation. You will need to use the 5e equivalent. Note that when you do this, your AC is figured automatically.

Leather jerkin = Leather
Leather corslet = Studded Leather
Hide = Hide
Corslet of Mail = Chain Shirt
Scale Hauberk = Scale Mail
Ring-Mail = Ring Mail
Heavy Mail = Chain Mail
Shield = Shield

There is no equivalent in 5e for the Great Shield, so if you happen to have one, just choose a regular shield and then let me know and I will make the adjustments (as it is somewhat tricky to explain.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your avatar is a picture that represents your character. This is different than your token, which is used on a battlemap during combat.

I will assign everyone a default token, though feel free to change it if you don't like it. I prefer the top down tokens, but it really doesn't matter if there is something else you would like to use.

I will assign your default token after you have completed much of your character sheet. I do this so I can see your primary weapon for the avatar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crimson Fox
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
unsubbing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex VIlle
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Money 5d6 = (4 + 5 + 5 + 2 + 4) = 20

I hope we won't use the variant encumbrance rules or I start encumbred already

My character sheet is complete. I will add a name and a background tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1114816. vilainn6
  • 5d6 =
  • (4 + 5 + 5 + 2 + 4) =
  • Money
  • Wed Jul 5, 2017 2:25 am
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vilainn6 wrote:
vilainn6 previously rolled 5d6 = (4 + 5 + 5 + 2 + 4) = 20 (Money)

I hope we won't use the variant encumbrance rules or I start encumbred already :D

Reminder that you have a second page (the bio page) of which some parts need to be complete.

In your inventory, what is the travel gear that is listed at 49 pounds? That is what is throwing your encumberance off. I tweaked it a bit by itemizing them and I am not coming close to 49.

Reminder for when you do your background....since you chose the Driven From Home/Infamous background, that should definitely be included.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex VIlle
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
badgermaniac wrote:
vilainn6 wrote:

I hope we won't use the variant encumbrance rules or I start encumbred already

In your inventory, what is the travel gear that is listed at 49 pounds? That is what is throwing your encumberance off. I tweaked it a bit by itemizing them and I am not coming close to 49.

From the book p.48:

Bonus Equipment: A fur-lined travelling cloak, travelling gear for the current season, a bedroll, a backpack or saddlebags, comfortable boots, 5d6 silver pennies, plus choose any two: a staff or cudgel, a dwarf-made set of cooking pans, a lucky ring of ancient design, a letter from your family, a spare pair of walking boots, an extra travelling cloak.

p.154:

Spring and Summer Travelling Gear includes appropriate garb, backpack, blanket, mess kit, a flask of oil, a pouch, 50’ hempen rope, 5 torches, a waterskin and a whetstone. With rations, this gear weighs 49 lb. and if purchased, would cost around 9s
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have most of my history/bio done...will need to tie in my background to it but haven't nailed which background I'm running with quite yet...

Got a good bit done on my character sheet...need to add my background there as well...and nail my equipment and purchases down. Are we allowed to sell some of the starting equipment back for half price?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
You and me...We're in this together now...None of them can stop us now...We will make it through somehow
mbmbmb
Just checking in after a busy 24hours or so around the 4th. I've been working on a build for my Barding Finn son of Finnius and I'll plug away during breaks at work today. I hope to post something for you to comment on by tonight.

I'm a little torn on class. Being in the watch it would seem a Warrior Knight is the obvious choice. But I wonder if a Warden build, maybe Herald, offers a more nuanced path for developing this young character and having him come into his own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vilainn6 wrote:
badgermaniac wrote:
vilainn6 wrote:

I hope we won't use the variant encumbrance rules or I start encumbred already :D

From the book p.48:

Bonus Equipment: A fur-lined travelling cloak, travelling gear for the current season, a bedroll, a backpack or saddlebags, comfortable boots, 5d6 silver pennies, plus choose any two: a staff or cudgel, a dwarf-made set of cooking pans, a lucky ring of ancient design, a letter from your family, a spare pair of walking boots, an extra travelling cloak.

p.154:

Spring and Summer Travelling Gear includes appropriate garb, backpack, blanket, mess kit, a flask of oil, a pouch, 50’ hempen rope, 5 torches, a waterskin and a whetstone. With rations, this gear weighs 49 lb. and if purchased, would cost around 9s

Awesome. Thanks. For those that are at that stage, I added those specific items to your inventory.

I find it interesting that if you carry your standard equipment, many characters are already encumbered. I use the encumbrance rules, but only loosely. If you become Heavily Encumbered, we will make some adjustments. Otherwise, you are fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe D
United States
Detroit
Michigan
flag msg tools
For the Emperor!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't really do much at work (a few quick logins and posts like this I can do, but that's about it) and I'm taking my Dad out for his birthday tonight. But I should be able to work on my character tomorrow evening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
esirof wrote:
Just checking in after a busy 24hours or so around the 4th. I've been working on a build for my Barding Finn son of Finnius and I'll plug away during breaks at work today. I hope to post something for you to comment on by tonight.

I'm a little torn on class. Being in the watch it would seem a Warrior Knight is the obvious choice. But I wonder if a Warden build, maybe Herald, offers a more nuanced path for developing this young character and having him come into his own.

We do have two wardens already. No rule against having three, but sometimes that variety adds something to the game. I think you could justify anything for your character. Even something like a scholar could fit if you wanted to think of him as being thrown into the watch based on his lineage, while not really fitting in as a warrior. Bottom line...play what inspires you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magellan1 wrote:
I can't really do much at work (a few quick logins and posts like this I can do, but that's about it) and I'm taking my Dad out for his birthday tonight. But I should be able to work on my character tomorrow evening.

No hurry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [12] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.