Víctor Andrade
Mexico
León de los Aldama
Guanajuato
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Choosing the next Geek of the Week was surely a hard task, i looked and found a geek that since begging catch my eye, mainly for his avatar (mindblow)

but enough talk from me, is time for he to give us some words:

Quote:
Hi everyone, I’m Jim!

Thanks to Victor for passing along the nomination to be this week’s RPGG GotW. I’m honored!

I’m from Northeast Ohio, land of lush river valleys, soaring glacial cliffs, deep forests, and really, really good beer. Seriously, first off, no one believes me when I talk about how lovely, gorgeous, memorable, and unique NE Ohio’s landscape is--I mean, the rest of the state is mostly flat, boring farmland... Secondly, the beer. Oh man, the beer. What, with Fat Head’s, Market Garden, Thirsty Dog, and my favorite local brewery, Platform, we’ve got it made here in regards to fabulous libations. But, oh, enough about where I live. You’re here to read about who I am and what I like to play!

Unlike many RPG Geeks-of-the-Week, I am not a life-long RPG player.

(I’ll pause here to allow a communal gasp)

I’ve been enjoying role-playing games since early 2016. To be honest, my gaming history features role-playing games towards the tail-end of many, many years immersed in other genres. Let me tell you a little story...

My gaming saga began in the early 1990s in my parents’ basement. My dad has worked in Information Technology since the 1970s, so our basement always resembled a museum of PC computing more than anything else. Ancient data towers, monitors, keyboards, and mountains of floppy discs and CDs lined the shelves, covered the desks, and sat on the floor. It was here that I cut my teeth on gaming, primarily because of the heritage of my older brother. See, I’m a child of the 1990s and 2000s, but my brother is twelve years my senior, meaning that I looked up to him in every way, including a desire to emulate his past-times as my own. This meant that I spent many hours before and after school, as well as long Saturday afternoons, huddled in the cold basement, plugging away at old DOS and Windows 3.1 games. From the great adventures of Ultima, Day of the Tentacle, and Full Throttle, to the puzzles of Zork, Myst, and Star Control II, to the strategy of Heroes of Might and Magic, Warcraft, and Alpha Centauri, I was enthralled. In fact, I still say my favorite game of all time is none other than the original 1993 DOS game, Master of Orion.

I recall the first time I visited Orion and met the Guardian, I leapt out of my chair in shock!

So, my adolescence was peppered with these wonderful video games, played mostly on an old PC, and you know what? Something about the richness of these older designs really stuck with me. The narrative and evolving drama of the smaller story moments and decisions continued to captivate me for years. However, as I grew up, I had less time for video games, and especially when I went off to college, I shifted gears in a big way to board games. I’d say I’m still a board gamer first and foremost, as I tend to spend most of my leisure time playing games with my wife, friends, and family. I enjoy mechanisms, puzzles, and optimization, but I also seek out strong narrative and great highs and lows here (even in many Eurogames!). Some “hybrid games” (blending both the systems-heavy nuance of Eurogames and unchained drama of Ameritrash titles), such as Blood Rage, Eclipse, and Merchants & Marauders, are pinnacle designs in my opinion, as they draw from a long heritage of strategy and emergent narrative and put them together in a great way (and, well, would you look at that? Eclipse is basically Master of Orion: The Board Game…). Looking across the table into the eyes of my backstabbing sister, striking a deal with my nephews to conspire with me against their father, or simply watching as my in-game decisions for my clergymen slowly construct a sprawling, magnificent diocese on the table are all wonderful moments that I recall with fondness. Sitting (or standing!) around a table pushing cubes and blowing stuff up with family and peers is, I think, objectively richer and more enjoyable than sitting at a PC and going on some adventure by myself, but there is a time and place for both of them.

No starbases were harmed in the production of this picture.

Through all of these years spent enjoying both of these types of games, I continued to find within me a growing love for personality in gaming. Here’s the funny part--growing up with great video games and board games, I simply never knew anyone who played role-playing games. Yep, that’s right. I participated in a public school Boy Scout troop, did arts and music lessons with another group, went to church with lots of kids my age, was a part of a large homeschool co-op, and later went to a private high school with yet another group of peers, and NONE of them played role-playing games. The few who’d even heard of them (I count myself in this group) were mostly from families who thought Dungeons & Dragons and Magic: The Gathering were both the same thing, EEEEVIILLLLLL... (clearly none of us even knew MtG was, ahem, not an RPG!).

Fast forward to early 2015. I’m a husband, father, and active member in my place of worship, Redeemer Church. I play lots of weekly board games with family and friends from church. I occasionally tool around on my laptop firing up old games I still love, and spend oodles of time on BGG. Then I start poking around RPGG because, you know, it’s a close neighbor to my favorite online community. I download a few pdfs of rules and begin to let the gears turn in my head. Now here are some games with serious personality… I began reading sourcebooks and rulesets and one-shot pdfs voraciously, even though I’d yet to play anything related to them. Nearly a full year goes by and at one of my every-so-often overnight board game nights with friends, one of them, Jason, suggests we play D&D 5e as a quick adventure between bigger games. A few of us agreed and we planned ahead for a good two-hour mini-adventure. It was a BLAST. Absolutely hilarious and tons of fun. I played “Chet,” the meathead bro-ham Human Fighter, along with three other players and Jason as DM. So fun! I knew that we were not going to play this sort of thing often in person, so I started looking for other ways to play... that’s when I became an addict, ladies and gentlemen, an addict of Play-by-Forum...

Quote:
Quote:
Dolus wrote:
Many of us had our minds blown when we discovered just how big the board game hobby is and what kind of games there were. Jim had his mind blown when he started playing RPGs, and has since jumped off the deep end to play more.

What started as a test of “how to make a character sheet” (in RPGG Geeklist format) turned into my first PbF character, Ashurban. Well, that campaign ran for a few months, but petered out when the DM had to call it quits for personal reasons. However, by that point, the PbF bug had bitten me… badly… and I found the RPGG Custom Setting, The Hourglass Realm. I whipped up Wanda, the Halfling Rogue, in April 2016, and the rest is history. RPG is a blast, even if I’m doing it online. In fact, after several additional face-to-face games, I think I actually prefer PbF, primarily because a lot of rich, thoughtful prose and amazing character immersion comes out of it given the delay in posting, even if players are still posting multiple times a day. Another awesome side-effect of PbF, in my experience, are the OOC threads that accompany live games. Goodness, how I’ve laughed and smiled over and over again at the wit and good community cheer to be had in these threads (especially this one and this one [note the 150+ pages in the latter!]). It’s awesome. If RPGG exists for no other reason, it’s the marvelous community that has developed here over the years. I’m honored to be a part of it!

As of writing this, I have ten D&D 5e PbF characters active with a few others waiting in the wings, and just started branching out into other one-shot RPGs like The Extraordinary Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Everyone is John, and Atop a Lonely Tower. I’d really like to try several others, like Honey Heist, Fiasco, Dread, Dog Eat Dog, and (especially!) The Quiet Year.

Shout out to all of the wonderful DMs who have helped me learn how to play the games I love!

Michael Dursch
United States
Farmersville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only known as
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Be to be- Be to or To be- that is be question. [thread=2215651]
mbmbmbmbmb
George P.E., PMP, DM
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Hourglass Realm D&D 5e Play by Forum (PbF) Campaign DM (we'd love to have you join us!)
badge
U.S.S. Tautog (SSN 639) doing an emergency blow with me on it (see profile for details)
mbmbmbmbmb

Jason Panella
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Scott Morris
South Korea
Yeonsu-gu
Incheon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason Maynard
United States
Clawson
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Joseph Shufelt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

N/A
Quiz: 2 truths 1 lie
1. lets play 2 truths 1 lie!
statement 1 I nearly died by sliding down a crumbling hillside in the Badlands and caught myself with ragged fingers in the dirt, my feet hanging over a seemingly-bottomless pit as I stopped.
statement 2 I stole the majority of the cash from the offering plate at church when no one was looking after a service to buy loads of Pokemon booster packs, wherein I found a holographic Kangashkan.
statement 3 I narrowly avoided getting involved in a fight in Algeria while visiting there on a student trip just as the Arab Spring was staring to affect North Africa.
2. lets play 2 truths 1 lie!
statement 1 I nearly died by sliding down a crumbling hillside in the Badlands and caught myself with ragged fingers in the dirt, my feet hanging over a seemingly-bottomless pit as I stopped.
statement 2 I stole the majority of the cash from the offering plate at church when no one was looking after a service to buy loads of Pokemon booster packs, wherein I found a holographic Kangashkan.
statement 3 I narrowly avoided getting involved in a fight in Algeria while visiting there on a student trip just as the Arab Spring was staring to affect North Africa.
    20 answers
Quiz created by Zelguedez

now is time to celebrate Jim's RPG Geek of the Week, i hope i did not mess the quiz

now some questions from me!
d10-1 tell me about your best character
d10-2 there are some genre of RPG that you strongly like or dislike?
d10-3 sword or mace?
d10-4 there are some RPG that has catched your eye lately?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much, Victor!

It looks like the formatting was lost due to unknown reasons. For restored links in the primary post above, GO HERE.

I'll answer all questions and post more content in this official thread!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bokser
Israel
Pardes Hanna
flag msg tools
designer
Guess What?
badge
You Rock.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Jim! Well deserved!
I hope I get to take part in a PbF campaign with you sooner rather than later, I'm sure I'll enjoy it.
Enjoy your week in the spotlight! Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Robben
Belgium
Antwerp
Antwerp
flag msg tools
And here...
badge
I should really add something smart and sparkly here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Jim, enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sören Kohlmeyer
Germany
Halle (Westfalen)
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
2007 - 2013
badge
You'll always stay the cat on my shoulder!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mighty Gratz Jim !

d10-1 Do you use music while roleplaying ?
d10-2A If yes, just as play-along in the background or selected especially for the scene ?
d10-2B If no, why not ?
d10-3 When it comes to game prep, what do you prefer: Some keywords for every scene/npc/whatever or a whole paragraph of information ?
d10-4 Open or concealed dice rolls ?
d10-5 Urban or rural ?
d10-6 Cat or dog ?
d10-7 How many dice do you own ?
d10-8 What sport do you take exercises in ?
d10-9 Did you try Play by Video (PbV, Hangouts...) ?
d10-0 What's your favorite LEGO theme ?

And in memoriam to Steven Heinrich some more questions:
d10-1d10-1 Do you dance ?
d10-1d10-2 Do you dance like nobodies watching ?
d10-1d10-3 What type of music do you listen to ?
d10-1d10-4 What's your favorite group ?
d10-1d10-5 What's your favorite song ?

Have an awesome week !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mixu Lauronen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The revolution lasted six minutes and covered one hundred and twelve meters.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Jim! Here are my customary twour questions:
1 What game is your most pleasant surprise? Why?
1 What game is your biggest disappointment? Why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
A hearty congratulations to you Jim!
Have a great week!

How would you feel if I don't ask a question?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul T
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
https://www.youtube.com/c/Catweazle00
badge
CatWeazle
mbmbmbmbmb

Congratulations Jim!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Gambetti
Italy
Bolzano
flag msg tools
designer
And plastic for the Plastic Throne!
badge
No! This is not a board game, but Stanislao Moulinsky in one of his best disguises!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Jim, enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Zelguedez wrote:
d10-1 tell me about your best character
This is a hard one! Three come to mind, but in terms of sheer enjoyability-to-time, I have to go with Bungle the Determined, my random-rolled Goliath Wizard with a staggeringly-low Intelligence score who died while trying to relieve himself in an outhouse (a quick read in three pages until death! --> LINK)

Zelguedez wrote:
d10-2 there are some genre of RPG that you strongly like or dislike?
I think I've not played broadly enough to say this with authority, but I'm pretty disinterested in government/political RPGs (not for RSP reasons, but I think it would be too heady to get into well... and I'd end up just RPing characters from The West Wing!).

Zelguedez wrote:
d10-3 sword or mace?
Mace, for sure. WHACK!

Zelguedez wrote:
d10-4 there are some RPG that has catched your eye lately?
I'd really like to play The Quiet Year.

fastfox wrote:
d10-1 Do you use music while roleplaying ?
Not in face-to-face games, but I usually have something playing when I PbF.

fastfox wrote:
d10-2A If yes, just as play-along in the background or selected especially for the scene ?
I actually go to great lengths to create specific thematic soundtracks for board games (see my Spotify Playlists) but not for RPG.

fastfox wrote:
d10-2B If no, why not ?
I have so many different games going across so many different themes, it would be too tricky to swap music for each one online!

fastfox wrote:
d10-3 When it comes to game prep, what do you prefer: Some keywords for every scene/npc/whatever or a whole paragraph of information ?
Keywords. Let me make it up on the fly!

fastfox wrote:
d10-4 Open or concealed dice rolls ?
Open!

fastfox wrote:
d10-5 Urban or rural ?
Rural.

fastfox wrote:
d10-6 Cat or dog ?
Cats forever. Just say "NO!" to dogs.

fastfox wrote:
d10-7 How many dice do you own ?
A good Crown Royale bag-full.

fastfox wrote:
d10-8 What sport do you take exercises in ?
N/A

fastfox wrote:
d10-9 Did you try Play by Video (PbV, Hangouts...) ?
Not PbV, though it would be fun. I typically PbF all the time because I can do so without much upkeep.

fastfox wrote:
d10-0 What's your favorite LEGO theme ?
LEGO City.

fastfox wrote:
d10-1d10-1 Do you dance ?
Yes! From the patented "white male dad point" to "I think I can swing my hips really well" moves.

fastfox wrote:
d10-1d10-2 Do you dance like nobodies watching ?
Always.

fastfox wrote:
d10-1d10-3 What type of music do you listen to ?
A lot of classical music, mostly. Modern music favorites are Andrew Bird, LL Cool J, and Wolfmother.

fastfox wrote:
d10-1d10-4 What's your favorite group ?
If I had to pick only one, it's definitely Andrew Bird.

fastfox wrote:
d10-1d10-5 What's your favorite song ?
A tough one, to be sure...

In terms of "what puts a smile on my face without fail," I'll go with "Blueberry Yum Yum" by Ludacris.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mixula wrote:
1 What game is your most pleasant surprise? Why?
Honestly, I just have to go with Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition. I never thought I'd ever get into it, having looked at the series from a distance for decades. That said, I really enjoy it both for it's strong emphasis on character development and the real ease in combat and interactions within the story. It's far easier to play than I always assumed.

Mixula wrote:
1 What game is your biggest disappointment? Why?
Okay, so I played Everyone is John with my GameChatLeague and had a lot of fun, but I totally misunderstood how to play well. Obviously, it's a game about being riotous and silly, so it's not a big deal, but I pushed far too hard in the beginning to get my objective and then ran out of steam instantly.

chadnorth wrote:
How would you feel if I don't ask a question?
"I feel happy of myself."

Withywindle wrote:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
No one expects the Spanish penguin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations on RPG GotW! You definitely deserve it.

I feel honored just to have my quote up there. I definitely think RPGs and of our good times in the DnD Hourglass Campaign whenever I see your avatar.

What is an RPG game or system you want to try out that you haven't had a chance to play yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dolus wrote:
Congratulations on RPG GotW! You definitely deserve it.

I feel honored just to have my quote up there. I definitely think RPGs and of our good times in the DnD Hourglass Campaign whenever I see your avatar.

What is an RPG game or system you want to try out that you haven't had a chance to play yet?
Thanks, Travis! Perhaps I'll run into Jaque Aminon in Hourglass again someday... whistle

As for a one-shot game, I'm always itching for sillyness, so something like Fiasco, Cheat Your Own Adventure, Lasers & Feelings, or SKEW all look like a lot of fun to try. Oh, and DREAD. I'd like to try DREAD for sure.

In terms of a bigger system, hmm... something very non-D&D, I think, so perhaps Call of Cthulhu or Spycraft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I might be up for a one-shot silly adventure sometime. I'm unfamiliar with all of those except Fiasco. Cheat Your Own Adventure sounds appealing to me. I'll try to read up on those. Maybe after July, I'll be up for playing in one with you.

On to another question. What sort of die systems have you played and what is your opinion of each? Which do you prefer? (e.g. d20 system like D&D, d6 or 2d6 systems, I don't actually know the names of these different systems as I mostly have just played D&D)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience is still fairly limited here. I've played a few one-shots that are simple enough to run around 1d6 or 2d6, but beyond that I've played only D&D 5e and Star Wars Saga (d20 with extras) and Star Wars Edge of the Empire (custom dice).

I'm really quite enamored with the dice in Edge of the Empire. I think I'd end up buying a set just to roll on a table without purpose, though the larger game is quite fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Congrats! Even though I couldn't figure out correctly which ones were the lie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoffreyB wrote:
Congrats! Even though I couldn't figure out correctly which ones were the lie.
devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Holcomb
United States
Cadott
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Playing D&D 5e, The One Ring
badge
Running Traveller (M2e)
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Jim! Thanks for telling us your story. Enjoy your week!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti / Leonie
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Jim!

d10-1 What is your favourite colour when playing a boardgame?
d10-2 Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter?
d10-3 Do you play an instrument? If yes, which one and for how long already?
d10-4 Having fun?
d10-5 What would have been your name if it wasn't the name you have?
d10-6 What is your favourite snack?
d10-7 What is your favourite day of the week?
d10-8 What is your favourite time of day?
d10-9 What character would you be in a Star Trek setting?
d10-1d10-0 What makes you "tick" (inspires you, why do you get up in the morning)?
d10-1d10-1 What is your life-long dream?
d10-1d10-2 What is your favourite RPG race/class?
d10-1d10-3 If you could go back in time - where and when would you go?
d10-1d10-4 Could you enlighten us about your avatar?
d10-1d10-5 Where does your username come from?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Narl wrote:
d10-1 What is your favourite colour when playing a boardgame?
Per my profile:

corn I PLAY WITH YELLOW corn

corncorncorn YELLOW OR BUST corncorncorn

Narl wrote:
d10-2 Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter?
Autumn, no question. Great weather, all clouds and no sun, drizzle, lots of coats... yum.
Narl wrote:
d10-3 Do you play an instrument? If yes, which one and for how long already?
No, but I am a very proficient whistler. My mother once told me I learned to whistle before I learned to speak.

Narl wrote:
d10-4 Having fun?
All day, every day!

Narl wrote:
d10-5 What would have been your name if it wasn't the name you have?

Narl wrote:
d10-6 What is your favourite snack?
Very likely extra-salty tortilla chips and spicy/sweet guacamole.

Narl wrote:
d10-7 What is your favourite day of the week?
Sunday.

Narl wrote:
d10-8 What is your favourite time of day?
8:00 PM or so, as that's when my wife and I can reliably hang out together post-bedtime for the kiddos.

Narl wrote:
d10-9 What character would you be in a Star Trek setting?
My wife tells me I am just a human version of Elim Garak, so I would pick him 100%. From Cardassia with love/manipulation.

Narl wrote:
d10-1d10-0 What makes you "tick" (inspires you, why do you get up in the morning)?
Jesus Christ and his sacrifice on my behalf, without whom I would have no escape from the existential malaise of unresolvable sin.

Narl wrote:
d10-1d10-1 What is your life-long dream?
To be a dad. Oh, look! I made it!

Narl wrote:
d10-1d10-2 What is your favourite RPG race/class?
I love Warlocks. I think the whole concept of a back-door deal with a patron provides such interesting opportunities for great story-telling.

Narl wrote:
d10-1d10-3 If you could go back in time - where and when would you go?
I would go back to witness the first time someone either baked a cake or dropped a pretzel into boiling lye. Often culinary innovation captures my daydreaming more than anything else.

Narl wrote:
d10-1d10-4 Could you enlighten us about your avatar?
My current avatar is Dr. Jimes Tooper from Tim & Eric's "Universe" clip.

Narl wrote:
d10-1d10-5 Where does your username come from?
When I was a boy scout, we would always "circle up" and depart with a formal valediction:

"And now, may the great master of all true scouts be with us until we meet again."

It's a fairly vacuous and generic blessing of sorts, and we often rushed through it. As a result, the grammar began to shift, like so:

"Annowme, the great master of all true scouts, be with us until we meet again."

Basically, "Annowme" ended up as a sort of totemic figure to us, mostly in jest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
One Squirrel to rule them all, One Squirrel to find them, One Squirrel to bring them all and in the darkness TPK them.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Jim on being Geek of the Week

d10-1 Bucket of dice or minimal dice?

d10-2 What is your most used RPG book?

d10-3 What is your most prized RPG possession?

d10-4 If you could visit any RPG world for real which would it be?

d10-5 If you could own for real one item off one of your player character's character Sheets, what would it be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugavine wrote:
d10-1 Bucket of dice or minimal dice?
Minimal dice, without a doubt. I enjoy dice very much, but I am often crippled by the tyranny of options. The fewer options, the better!

Ugavine wrote:
d10-2 What is your most used RPG book?
Definitely the D&D 5e Player Hand Book.

Ugavine wrote:
d10-3 What is your most prized RPG possession?
This geeklist.

Ugavine wrote:
d10-4 If you could visit any RPG world for real which would it be?
The wacky fey-infested forest where one of my threads, "Olo's Lament," is taking place

Ugavine wrote:
d10-5 If you could own for real one item off one of your player character's character Sheets, what would it be?
Howlin' Jimmy's magical flaming top-hat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking purely on the mechanics, what has been your favorite resolution system?

If you consider how the mechanics intersect with setting/theme, does the answer change?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have any desire to DM any campaigns? If so, what ideas do you have?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
captainraffi wrote:
Speaking purely on the mechanics, what has been your favorite resolution system?
My knee-jerk answer is the Edge of the Empire dice duel, of sorts, though I have not had enough experience with it to say I've got it down pat by any means. I enjoy the narrative gravity of those dice in terms of not just pass/fail or really good/really bad but "oh, then THIS happens."

captainraffi wrote:
If you consider how the mechanics intersect with setting/theme, does the answer change?
Absolutely. Without a doubt, the Wild Magic Table for Sorcerers in 5e is hilarious. The whole class archetype is built around playing dice with the whole universe, as it were, so while there is actually a great deal of control in the class, the crux of it circles around the 1d100 table of possible results. In my campaign with said character, "Howlin' Jimmy" (the Jazz-loving-voodoo-man-turned-Half-Drow-Wild-Mage [see gif above]), the peak moments in his actions involved him randomly generating ethereal prog rock playing around him from another plane (let's call it... Birmingham) while summoning a unicorn and turning into a sheep. For a simple (albeit massive) die roll, that perfectly encapsulates the awesome madness of the character.

Dolus wrote:
Do you have any desire to DM any campaigns? If so, what ideas do you have?
Yes! Very much so! I'm starting with a one-shot of Lasers & Feelings with local friends via PbF nicknamed "That Snow Moon." The OOC thread is here if you'd like to follow along in the background.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |