Subject: The only game master screen you will ever need rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
One year of Daily Dad Jokes ends this month!
badge
Three conspiracy theorists walk into a bar You can't tell me that's just a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
The only game master screen you will ever need.

In my many years of playing role playing games, I have bought my share of game master screens. The quality of the game master aids on the screens has varied from product to product. Seldom did I find them to meet my specific needs. I rarely used the data or tables provided on the screen. Worse, the occasional screen was printed with erroneous data.

As I game master I typically play only Dungeons and Dragons, but I have dabbled in other role-playing games also. I have found no shortage of game master screens for these other games, but I balk at purchasing game screens for all these different games.

I’ve experimented with a variety of customizable game master screens to allow me to select and use reference tables I found useful for the various games systems, none of the experiments were very elegant.

When I saw this product in my friendly local game store, it seemed to be the perfect answer to my needs. I was taken aback by the price and was a little disappointed in the color selection available, but I decided to take the plunge and purchase the product.

I printed up a copy of Fitz’s DM Screen for my D&D game and searched for a suitable picture to use for my four-panel artwork to face the players.
After several sessions with the new screen, I am convinced I will never go back to a RPG system specific game master screen again. This is the only screen I will ever need.

Three thumbsup and Three thumbsdown

thumbsup Durable vinyl screen. This is not a flimsy screen. The vinyl is thick, the screen is heavy and sturdy, and it will withstand years of use. It will not be ruined if liquid is spilled on it. Easy to clean. Wet erase markers do not stain and is easy to wipe clean from screen. It does not tip over easily.

thumbsup Slots on both sides of the 4 panels for custom content. This allows the game master to insert their own reference data (for any game) on the game master side. This also enables the screen to be used for any and all games. The panels on the player facing side can hold custom artwork, game maps, or other player aids. The ink on the cardstock did not stick to the inside of the vinyl after being left inside the insert panels for over a month.

thumbsup It comes in both landscape and portrait configurations to suit game master preference. There is also a mini format version.

thumbsdown Pricey. It costs double or triple your typical game master screen.

thumbsdown No content. Considering the price, you are still left with developing the material to meet your game mastering needs. Some inserts are available on their website, but I did not think them useful. Some user developed content is also available on the website to share with others, but as of this review, the selection is meager and I found it no more useful that the company provided content.

thumbsdown Snug insert panels. The thickness of the vinyl and the quality of the construction makes for a durable product, it also makes for snug insert panels. Inserting sheets of paper is no easy task. The company recommends using card stock for inserts, which makes inserting material much easier but not effortless. Removing the inserts requires opening the screen to loosen the outside sleeves but still requires reaching inside the sleeve with thumb and index finger, sometimes causing the vinyl to stretch or bubble temporarily. Repeated changing of material risks warping the vinyl.

For experienced game masters who know what type of reference materials they want and produced their own, this screen is for them.

For game masters who run games for a variety of different game systems, this screen is for them.

Rating

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Taber
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my RPG blog at http://www.usandacat.com/thelair!
badge
Work hard, play hard!
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to ask a question. I have the PEG screen and like it but don't love it. On that screen you have to cut off the edges of an 8.5"x11" piece of paper to use it as a screen insert.

Do you have to cut off an 8.5"x11" sheet to insert it into the screen?

Here is a link to my site. I have inserts that I did for in the file downloads section. Gosh I think I did ones for Hero, Savage Worlds, Hero Kids, Fate, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Three conspiracy theorists walk into a bar You can't tell me that's just a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
There was no trimming required for the standard 8.5" x 11" paper. A4 paper will require some trimming.

As a result of accommodating the standard paper size, the screen is larger than the other game specific game screens produced by the publishing companies.

The mini-screen fit 4"x6" index cards for those who set their printers up for that paper size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mickey Bitsko
Australia
Spit Bay Camp
Heard Island
flag msg tools
designer
Twenty-five hours a day...
badge
Twenty-five, Twenty-five!
mbmbmbmbmb
Does it seem durable enough to last for years?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bitsko wrote:
Does it seem durable enough to last for years?
As I said in my review, it will last for years. The typical game master screen, made with cardboard paper, would be easy to tear, especially on the hinges where it is essentially paper.

The heavy duty vinyl of TWGS makes for a stronger hinge material. Actually, the hinges are four layers of vinyl -- the front and back colored vinyl, and the front and back clear vinyl.

The ONLY part that had me concerned was the center hinge where it appears that the screen was made in left and right sections and then "welded" together. I've seen this construction before of vinyl material (like notebooks and presentation folders). It creates a flap that sometimes does not lay flat and starts to catch on things. It is a weak point that eventually creates a tear in the vinyl. But this weld line is sealed over by the two layers of clear vinyl. Only a small portion of the top weld line is exposed. It is a very small flap, but it is the one place I will monitor over the years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Taber
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my RPG blog at http://www.usandacat.com/thelair!
badge
Work hard, play hard!
mbmbmbmbmb
What great replies! Great review and awesome zoom up pic!

FYI. I have TWO PEG landscape screens. One is completely pulling apart. The other is barely hanging in there...I think I might look for one of these...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls