World of Gor: Gorean Roleplaying World Encyclopaedia
These Weird Breads Are Sad
The Solo Investigator's Handbook
Wollstonecraft The Role-Playing Game
Maze of the Blue Medusa
The Two-Headed Serpent
Slaves of the Machine God
The Forsaken Kingdom of Fungithrill
Dungeons & Dragons Basic Set (Second Edition)
Labyrinth Lord
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook
Apocalypse World
Microscope
Vornheim: The Complete City Kit
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Monster Manual (D&D 5e)
Kids on Bikes: Deluxe Edition
Forbidden Lands Core Boxed Set
Passion Guides My Hand
Book 01: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain
The Flood
Warhammer Adventure
B1: In Search of the Unknown
Masks of Nyarlathotep (3rd & 4th edition)
The Deryni Adventure Game
Eyes Only
B10: Night's Dark Terror
Deadlands
The Great Pendragon Campaign
T1: The Village of Hommlet
Forgotten Realms Campaign Set
Book 1: The War-Torn Kingdom
Faction Guide
Swords & Wizardry Complete Rulebook
The One Ring: Adventures over the Edge of the Wild
Gildenbrief (Issue 25 - Jul 1992)
Monster of the Week
The Covetous Poet's Adventure Creator and Solo GM Guidebook
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
The Strange
Microscope Explorer
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
41 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

RPG» Forums » Actual Play » Play by Forum

Subject: Recruiting: Partner wanted for fantasy game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joao Lima
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking for a writing partner for a game using some kind of plot-generating engine to drive the game (Mythic, Solo Zozer type of thing...). The setting would be Mythic Europe, ie, real medieval Europe but with traditional mythical elements thrown in. The sort of general theme would something like Gavriel Kay's 'Sailing to Sarantium'.

The mechanics plan, is to use a rules light system (say The Window, or even Runequest 6, BRP...) to provide a framework for task resolution, together with a plot-generating-assistance tool (Mythic, Solo Zozer type of thing...) to introduce unexpected elements into the tale being told by the two chars.

Happy to discuss further with any interested party!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'Cause we know what we feel...
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Subject: Recruiting: Partner wanted for fantasy game

Sounds like a personals ad from craigslist ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Lima
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ctimmins wrote:
Quote:

Ermmm. not that kind of fantasy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andre d.
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
jmlima wrote:
ctimmins wrote:
Quote:

Ermmm. not that kind of fantasy.

Count me out then. devilsoblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rat Tooth
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy a bit of writing in my free time. What exactly are you proposing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Lima
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me try to summarize, using bullet points:

- Players decide setting, create chars, and decide on a starting scene.
- Use some kind of GM-emulator to decide outcome, roleplay the outcome, potentially introducing new elements and driving the plot forward.

From the description of a similar game:

This game is designed to be a collection of round-robin stories written by two people. The nature of interaction between two characters will drive the story. Allies, lovers, rivals, enemies, strangers, whatever works for your tale.

In essence, you think of a story and find a partner and then you both write the story between you with alternating posts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rat Tooth
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So are you creating this game yourself? A sort of 2-player GMless storytelling game?
Can't say I get it. I don't know the other systems you refer to. Don't mind if you wanna send me more details explaining what you would need from me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Lima
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cmdaltgamer wrote:
... A sort of 2-player GMless storytelling game?...

That is exactly what this is. This is an example, drawn from another game of the interaction type between 2 players:

Quote:
Against her will, Kelly moved half a step back towards the monolith, as if by accident. She wasn't exactly conscious of it either. "Well... your guess is as good as mine. But it certainly did not directly hurt me, but somehow managed to turn me off. Probably it wasn't exactly meant for human use? But then again... it would make some sense if the comm unit was supposed to patch you into some comm system. Kind of virtual reality, but actually working."

She pursed her lips. "That odd metal planet around the black hole has been bugging me. It's very fast, and its orbit looked way too stable, too circular. If this was placed artificially, it would be a picture-perfect location to use the black hole for energy generation. Yeah, that is possible. Drop matter in, collect X-Rays like crazy."

"I wish I had my instruments to take a closer look." She sighed, but could not take her eyes of the artifact. "Let's for the moment consider that this is actually a comm unit. What do we do with it? It might still be dangerous. But then again, it didn't harm me. Should I try it again?"

Quote:

quote:
"Well... your guess is as good as mine. But it certainly did not directly hurt me, but somehow managed to turn me off. Probably it wasn't exactly meant for human use? But then again... it would make some sense if the comm unit was supposed to patch you into some comm system. Kind of virtual reality, but actually working."

They were now locked in an unconscious dance on which as Kelly moved near to the monolith, dieter would move to position himself between them.

“Yes, that is what I meant, maybe this thing is just a away for whoever placed it here to make a call to their home…”
quote:
"That odd metal planet around the black hole has been bugging me. It's very fast, and its orbit looked way too stable, too circular. If this was placed artificially, it would be a picture-perfect location to use the black hole for energy generation. Yeah, that is possible. Drop matter in, collect X-Rays like crazy."

Dieter looked upwards. He had forgotten about a lot of what they found before their planet fall. The black hole was almost omnipresent but the other subtleties, like the metal planet had vanished from his mind. What Kelly just said was certainly suggestive.

“…I wonder if we moved into someone else’s backyard… If that is a giant energy harvesting device, and this is a comm device, we may be getting visitors soon… they would not let us play around their energy source just like that… unless… perhaps they are not around any more…”
quote:
"I wish I had my instruments to take a closer look." … "Let's for the moment consider that this is actually a comm unit. What do we do with it? It might still be dangerous. But then again, it didn't harm me. Should I try it again?"

“I commend you for your scouting courage, remind me to recommend you for a raise…” he said with a smile. He then went and grabbed the stick he previously used. “If you really want to do it, go for it. But keep this in mind, I will nudge you away of it if anything seems wrong, or if you seem unresponsive…”

Quote:

"Strangely enough, I've got a good feeling about this" Kelly replied, strangely actually feeling confident. She returned towards the monolith, slowly extending a hand. This time, she expected the strange, cold feeling as she touched it, before her mind started draining away into the cold, still void.

Kelly returned to the seemingly-oblivious state as soon as her hand touched the surface of the monolith, vacantly looking into Dieters general direction. She did not seem to be in any kind of pain, but obviously she was not conscious at that point. She kept on her feet, she was breathing regularly, she did not seem distressed. Only... absent.

And so on...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Lima
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone potentially interested in this? I'm even up for a change in theme, not necessarily fantasy, but sci-fi, espionage...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Payne
United Kingdom
Wellingborough
Northamptonshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just want you to know, since sometimes it feels empty when no one responds, sounds like an awesome, fun idea.

I’m just not a prolific enough writer considering married, 2 kids, job, lots of PbFs ongoing, to take you up on it. Otherwise I would totally be in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Lima
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another year, another try. Anyone up or this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Curato
France
Albi
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I might be interested if the rules are really light enough.

How long would you like each story to be? How many posts per week minimum?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jones
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmlima wrote:
Another year, another try. Anyone up or this?

Sounds interesting but I do not have the time at the moment. You may want to take a look at the free Ironsworn rules set - it seems like it might be a perfect fit for what you are trying to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Lima
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karkared wrote:
I might be interested if the rules are really light enough.

How long would you like each story to be? How many posts per week minimum?

I don't really care too much about rules. But to introduce an element of uncertainty , maybe something like the window?

As to minimum posts, certainly 1 per week! As to more than that, I would prefer we would enjoy and play at a pace that suited whatever happened than committing to a random number of posts that could be defeated by life commitments later on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolette Tanksley
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played a game like this before, over discord. We did some freeform and also used shorter rules like Microscope to do worldbuilding. It was enjoyable, so I think if someone has time that this is an interesting experience. Unfortunately, I am stretched too thin to offer to roleplay at the current moment...but surely someone here would want to try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Curato
France
Albi
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually I think freeform would fit fine for me. I do not mind self-inflicted failure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Lima
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karkared wrote:
Actually I think freeform would fit fine for me. I do not mind self-inflicted failure.

Any thoughts on what type of setting you would prefer, I offered a fantasy option, but also:
Quote:

I'm even up for a change in theme, not necessarily fantasy, but sci-fi, espionage...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Curato
France
Albi
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No real preference, just I would rather not play in a licensed setting (too many things to remember, less surprises).

How about we play like this - we decide on the chances that a character can make it through an action on a D100, depending on abilities and circumstances. Then we do the roll and go with the results. Automatic success/failure is also an option if we feel like it makes the story more interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Curato
France
Albi
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re sci-fi : you would not happen to know Santiago by Mike Resnick? See the French page https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santiago_(roman) for the full story.

Also the Culture cycle by Iain M. Banks.

Re espionage: I have read a bit on historical espionage, I am not keen on cinematic James Bond things.

Others I like: urban fantasy/occultism, travel between worlds and time periods, mashups, real History.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Lima
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karkared wrote:
No real preference, just I would rather not play in a licensed setting (too many things to remember, less surprises).

How about we play like this - we decide on the chances that a character can make it through an action on a D100, depending on abilities and circumstances. Then we do the roll and go with the results. Automatic success/failure is also an option if we feel like it makes the story more interesting.

Happy with that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Lima
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me try to summarize my take on the below:

Sci-fi : Had never heard about that one but sounds very interesting.

Banks : Never really managed to go past the first 100 pages of his books...

Espionage : I was think more Alan Furst : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Furst#Night_Soldiers_nove...

urban fantasy / travel between time periods : Never really attracted me.

Occultism, real History : Yes please.

Travel between worlds : Maybe. Depends on who go where! Amber was ok, but the saviour from beyond theme is a bit overdone.

Karkared wrote:
Re sci-fi : you would not happen to know Santiago by Mike Resnick? See the French page https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santiago_(roman) for the full story.

Also the Culture cycle by Iain M. Banks.

Re espionage: I have read a bit on historical espionage, I am not keen on cinematic James Bond things.

Others I like: urban fantasy/occultism, travel between worlds and time periods, mashups, real History.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Curato
France
Albi
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so we might stick with one of those three:
Hard sci-fi
Hard espionage
Real history, maybe laced with occult conspiracy (many good comics in France about this in the 2010s, aka "Napoleon would have done ... by himself, because of his European policy, but it also happened to serve the interests of faction ... so they facilitated it")

I suppose that it sets a serious tone, but there is still room for choices:

- Hard sci-fi : grim setting, or realistic, or wondrous with dozens of strange worlds and races? maybe a bit of epic if huge dreadnoughts prowling the lanes of space.
- Hard espionage : grim (1930s-1940s), or a lighter tone in the XVIIth-XIXth century and the 1920s or 1950-1970s.
- The third choice is a style in itself.

Edit: I now get what you meant about travel between worlds. I also liked Amber, if you wish to do fanfic; otherwise I suspect it might be overdone too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Lima
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As we narrow down the options, I'l throw a few more variants:

- Hard sci-fi : Can also be quite narrow in scope, as in Alien...
- Hard espionage : For the lighter tone, have you ever watched Tales of the Golden monkey (nice 1930's mishmash also): https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083488/

Edit: Just remembered, but for sci-fi, there's also the space opera style, in the spirit of Traveller

Karkared wrote:
I suppose that it sets a serious tone, but there is still room for choices:

- Hard sci-fi : grim setting, or realistic, or wondrous with dozens of strange worlds and races? maybe a bit of epic if huge dreadnoughts prowling the lanes of space.
- Hard espionage : grim (1930s-1940s), or a lighter tone in the XVIIth-XIXth century and the 1920s or 1950-1970s.
- The third choice is a style in itself.

Edit: I now get what you meant about travel between worlds. I also liked Amber, if you wish to do fanfic; otherwise I suspect it might be overdone too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Curato
France
Albi
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would put Traveller* amidst realistic/epic space opera. I like this genre for readings, thanks to all the scifi authors like Asimov, Le Guin, Resnick, David Brin, and some French and Italian ones too.

(* Do not use the word too much, there are Traveller hardcore fans around!)

I am really not fond of Alien (never watched a full movie) unless, once again, we are allowed to break the franchise (different beasts, different good guys, a later time period etc.) to make room for surprises.

Any genre of espionage suits me as long as it does not use super gadgets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Curato
France
Albi
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jmlima wrote:
- Hard espionage : For the lighter tone, have you ever watched Tales of the Golden monkey (nice 1930's mishmash also): https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083488/

Any chance to do it this style? https://www.atomic-robo.com/atomicrobo/v7ch1-cover
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.