The Hotness
Games|People|Company
Legacy of Dragonholt
Let These Mermaids Touch Your Dick Maybe
Midnight (Second Edition)
Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game 30th Anniversary Edition
The Black Mine of Teihiihan
Arkham Detective Tales (Extended Edition)
Adventures on Dungeon Planet
FAITH: The Sci-Fi RPG – Core Set
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
Graphic Novel Adventures: Loup Garou
Cthulhu Now (1987 Edition)
Emerald Empire (4th Edition)
Luchador: Way of the Mask
The Tools of Ignorance
The One Ring Roleplaying Game
The End of the World: Alien Invasion
Echoes of Glory: Ruritania's World Cup 1966
Tales from the Loop
The Death Knight's Squire: A 5E Solo Gamebook
Original Adventures Reincarnated #1: Into the Borderlands
Pickman's Legacy
Players Handbook (AD&D 1e)
Dungeon Masters Guide (AD&D 1e)
James Bond 007
B2: The Keep on the Borderlands
Prince Valiant: The Storytelling Game
XXXXtreme STREET luge
Xcrawl
Ancient Odysseys: Treasure Awaits!
Microscope
Über RPG: Steampunk
Numenera
Ryuutama: Natural Fantasy Role Play
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Blades in the Dark
Mouse Guard (2nd Edition)
Curse of Strahd
Maze of the Blue Medusa
7th Sea Core Rulebook
Hunger in the Void
King Arthur Pendragon (Edition 5.2)
Starfinder Core Rulebook
Prince Valiant Episode Book
The Fall of Delta Green
Delta Green: The Role-Playing Game
Pathfinder Society Scenario 9-00: Assault on Absalom
We Used To Be Friends
Brandis Seven Strike Craft
Henchmen
Monster Manual (AD&D 1e)
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3862 Posts
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [155] | 

Tomb of Annihilation» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: [OOC] AL Tomb of Annihilation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: 2017-PBF-Game [+] [View All]
Gary Weston
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jim!

Definitely going with a female High Elf Bladesinger. Wizard with a sword is just plain cool, man.

I'll probably lean more toward abjuration and divination spells, rather than evocation. More defense and knowledge than fireballs and explosions. So, if somebody else wants to be the party's chief war mage, that position is available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Woodman
Canada
Coaldale
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Boo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jim, and welcome.
Joe I never knew you, hope I get to play at a table with you someday
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe D
United States
Detroit
Michigan
flag msg tools
One Ring to Rule Them All
badge
I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udûn. Go back to the Shadow! You cannot pass.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jethreal wrote:
Hi Jim, and welcome.
Joe I never knew you, hope I get to play at a table with you someday

I hope so too!

Take good care of Jim! lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Half-Orc Divinination Wizard or Half-Orc Devotion Paladin?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Panella
United States
Beaver Falls
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love all of these ideas, gang. So good!

I'll try to have a geeklist up soon (tonight, at the earliest) for everyone to start slapping ideas down on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Panella
United States
Beaver Falls
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://rpggeek.com/geeklist/230109/dd-5e-adventurers-league...

Hooray geeklist!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Panella
United States
Beaver Falls
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me know what you all think of this:

I won't have the actual Tomb book to start running for another week. So, chances are that the other group was going to get started first (since I do have the AL adventures they released to kick this thing off). That said, early word is that it might be a good idea for the characters playing through the hardcover book to have a level or two under their belt (which is often the case for the hardcovers, it seems).

So, what I'm thinking: both groups can play through the introductory adventure I have. Like every season, it's a set of five mini-adventures that, if played face-to-face, would take about an hour each. Each one is designed to introduce the setting and one of the five factions the players can work with. It'll also get the characters to partway through level two.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sold, Jason!

Annowme wrote:

Ahhh, I still can't choose. The former would be sort of like a nefarious Jaffar character, and the latter something like a tank with lots of irrational phobias.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Weston
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm down for that. Especially as a Wizard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Woodman
Canada
Coaldale
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Boo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds great Jason!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon V
Canada
London
Ontario (ON)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jasonpanella wrote:
Let me know what you all think of this:

I won't have the actual Tomb book to start running for another week. So, chances are that the other group was going to get started first (since I do have the AL adventures they released to kick this thing off). That said, early word is that it might be a good idea for the characters playing through the hardcover book to have a level or two under their belt (which is often the case for the hardcovers, it seems).

So, what I'm thinking: both groups can play through the introductory adventure I have. Like every season, it's a set of five mini-adventures that, if played face-to-face, would take about an hour each. Each one is designed to introduce the setting and one of the five factions the players can work with. It'll also get the characters to partway through level two.

Thoughts?

thumbsup Sounds good to me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Payne
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Panella
United States
Beaver Falls
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In AL, players can join one of five factions. (Players can also choose to join no faction at all, which is fine.)

If you're not familiar with them, there's a rundown here: http://dnd.wizards.com/dungeons-and-dragons/story/factions

In each adventure, it's possible to get points with your faction and increase in rank. This doesn't always have any immediate benefit, but eventually you can buy a small selection of magic items from your faction, act as a mentor (which has in-game bonuses), or get discounts on learning new languages and other proficiencies.

For story purposes, factions also serve to act motivation for the party to do some of the quests. Sometimes factions want a little more from their members, too, so often secret missions will pop up as a result.

You can learn all of the fun benefits of having a faction here: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/199498/A-Guide-to-the-Factio...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Panella
United States
Beaver Falls
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, also: if you're playing a monstrous race from Volo's, there might be some restrictions. There's a free document here:

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/197432/Volos-Guide-to-Monste...

(If you don't want to download it, just let me know and I'll summarize for whatever race you're looking at.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aloha from the swamps of DC everyone!

I don't have any strong character thoughts yet, is there anything we're missing? It seems like we've got three spell casters already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Woodman
Canada
Coaldale
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Boo!
mbmbmbmbmb
downeymb wrote:

I don't have any strong character thoughts yet, is there anything we're missing? It seems like we've got three spell casters already.

We all be wizards Harry!, well 2 spell casters and a drunk Druid (more cheerful than most druids, but less bath-y too)

I suppose we could use some smacking around types, or getting smacked around types, but I'm good with whatever you want, with the death curse thing I'm trying to be less attached to my character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Panella
United States
Beaver Falls
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jethreal wrote:

We all be wizards Harry!, well 2 spell casters and a drunk Druid (more cheerful than most druids, but less bath-y too)

I suppose we could use some smacking around types, or getting smacked around types, but I'm good with whatever you want, with the death curse thing I'm trying to be less attached to my character.

If Jim plays a wizard, it'll be four spellcasters as of now. Sure, bladesingers essentially double as front-line fighters, but they're still wizards.

EDITED TO ADD: And this is totally fine. I think ANY party combination is do-able. I played in a table a few years back that was all wizards and one cleric. And we made it through just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon V
Canada
London
Ontario (ON)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Annowme wrote:

Annowme wrote:

Ahhh, I still can't choose. The former would be sort of like a nefarious Jaffar character, and the latter something like a tank with lots of irrational phobias.

If you go with the wizard can I play your henchman/muscle as a Kronk like character?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Weston
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
downeymb wrote:

Some frontline help would be good. Also, a rogue that can deal with traps and pour on that sweet, sweet sneak attack damage.

But really, I agree with Jason. Play anything that sounds like fun to you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Woodman
Canada
Coaldale
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Boo!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad we're all of a similar mind, last night I had my druid sell his scimitar to afford a sling, a herbalism (I bet THOSE mushrooms would be fun...) kit, and a gallon of beer. The scimitar hit slightly better than his shillelagh staff but it felt so unthematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just checking in regarding party composition. I'll happily go Paladin if we seem to have an abundance of casters. I can shelve my conspiracy theorist diviner for future use!

Speak now or forever hold your spell slots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Woodman
Canada
Coaldale
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Boo!
mbmbmbmbmb
There's seven of us right, so far we have:
Life cleric
Spellsliger
Druid (I'm going moon so that will push me to the front line at second level through 4-5 ish)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, feel free to call me Matt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Weston
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jethreal wrote:
There's seven of us right, so far we have:
Life cleric
Spellsliger
Druid (I'm going moon so that will push me to the front line at second level through 4-5 ish)

My bladesinger is much more striker (and eventually pretty sweet frontliner) than spellslinger, fyi. But with seven in the party, pretty much all roles are open for the taking.

And yeah, theme and character are much more important to me than min/max'd builds. Selling your scimitar to buy beer is an awesome choice in my book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Woodman
Canada
Coaldale
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Boo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of my Druid and shape shifting, we should think about generating a list of critters that he's seen. I wrote in a bear, wolves and a mouse in my character intro, and his original parents were trappers. But I'm not sure what would have lived in the jungle/forest he grew up in.

After we establish some kind of starting list I'll leave it up to me to track what he's seen through our encounters (maybe there's a circus nearby, just no fortune tellers, things go bad with fortune teller)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [155] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.