The Hotness
Games|People|Company
Legacy of Dragonholt
Joan of Arc
Monster of the Week
Being a role-playing game on the topic of the High-Flying adventures of Beatrice Henrietta Bristol-Smythe, DBE, daring Aviatrix and accomplished Exploratrix, and her Gentleman Companion, who for a Modest Fee, accompanies Beatrice ... [truncated]
The Starship From Hell
Fate Core System
Starfinder Core Rulebook
Realms of Terrinoth
Tales from the Loop
Delta Green
Keeper Rulebook
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Tales from the Yawning Portal
Genesys Core Rulebook
Wet Hot American Summer: Fantasy Camp
The Sunless Citadel
Fiasco
Fate Accelerated
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
DDEX1-04: Dues for the Dead
Star Wars: The Force Awakens Beginner Game
Volo's Guide to Monsters
Star Trek Adventures Core Book
Xanathar's Guide to Everything
Implausible Deniability
Our Friends the Machines & Other Mysteries
Fish F***ers
Ambarquenta Core Rulebook
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game
GURPS Basic Set: Characters (Fourth Edition)
Dungeons & Dragons Basic Set (First Edition)
Ars Magica (5th edition)
Sweet Agatha
Diaspora
Book 1: The War-Torn Kingdom
The Winds of Magic
Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game
Dungeon World Roleplaying Game
Horror on the Orient Express (2nd Edition)
Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
The Quiet Year
Qelong
Investigator Handbook
Monster Manual (D&D 5e)
Dungeon Master's Guide (D&D 5e)
Monster of the Week (Revised)
Star Wars: Force and Destiny Beginner Game
Mutant: Year Zero Core Book
Princes of the Apocalypse
Epées & Sorcellerie
Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
622 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [25] | 

Out of the Abyss» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: [IC] Out of the Abyss--The Darklake rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: PbF_started_2017 [+] [View All]
Jason Panella
United States
Beaver Falls
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shuushar talks some things over with the party and explains that traveling in the Underdark can be dangerous. Very dangerous. Tunnels often disappear, there are threats aplenty, and sometimes there are weird fields of wild magic that mess with how reality is perceived.

"I think the first question," he asks, "is if you want to speed along, travel steadily, or take it slow? If we go a normal pace, we can make it to my community--Sloobludop--in eight days."

So, there will be lots of traveling from this point on.

What this means:
--I will roll on a random encounter chart twice a day for the party.
--Your pace has an effect on things. Traveling normal pace means everything is treated normally. Traveling at a fast pace cuts down on total time, but it also makes it much easier to surprise the party (-5 penalty to Passive Perception), and it's harder to forage for food (yes, you need food). Moving at a slow pace means it will take longer to get to your destination, but you can use Stealth, AND you get a bonus on foraging.
--The drow are following you. I'm quietly and creepily keeping track of where they are behind the party.
--This section is VERY freeform. I'll try to run it as such. Getting to the surface isn't going to be easy.
--Someone will have to make a Survival check each day to make sure you don't get lost. Decide who that person is--it can be a player or an NPC. You can change it up each day or stick with one person. You can also use Guidance and Help the guide as well. For the NPCs, Eldeth and Sarith are the best guides.
--All of the NPCs have knowledge down here. Getting that information--true or not--out of them is part of the fun.

Any questions?

8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


Faldîr | CG Male Elf Ranger / 4th | HP 36/36 | AC 16 | Init +6 | Perc +4 | PP 14 | Hunter's Mark [2], Cure Light Wounds [0], Goodberries [0]

Couple of questions...do we start with our max HP or are do we stay at the HP we ended with from the previous scenario? And, as for the Survival roll, could we use the one I used as we started out for the Kuo Toan village (at the end of the last thread) for the current day's roll or do we need to roll a new one?

otha62 wrote:


The ranger will travel stealthily, keeping his eyes open for hidden foes/traps, and looking out for signs of any tracks they might come across...

Stealth: otha62 previously rolled 1d20 + 6 = (14) + 6 = 20

Perception: otha62 previously rolled 1d20 + 4 = (6) + 4 = 10

Survival: otha62 previously rolled 1d20 + 4 = (12) + 4 = 16



7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rueben S
Canada
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ruus 'Cutter' Uhl, Eldritch Knight 4
12/40, AC 17(19), Second Wind [0/1], Action Surge [0/1], Saving Face [0/1] Spell Slots [1/3], 6 Javelins, Perc +3, Init -1

I'd vote for normal pace.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Woodman
Canada
Coaldale
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Boo!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


Saeirnin

Perhaps 2 days fast to gain some distance and then regular pace?
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Panella
United States
Beaver Falls
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
otha62 wrote:



Couple of questions...do we start with our max HP or are do we stay at the HP we ended with from the previous scenario? And, as for the Survival roll, could we use the one I used as we started out for the Kuo Toan village (at the end of the last thread) for the current day's roll or do we need to roll a new one?




We can totally use that old roll, Mitch. Thanks for the reminder.

As for HP, this is treated as a new session, so EVERYTHING is back to normal--you regain your HP, spell slots, abilities, etc.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rueben S
Canada
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
2 days fast to keep the drow at bay is fine, does that leave us with 4 normal after that?
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Weston
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
iamrubocop wrote:
2 days fast to keep the drow at bay is fine, does that leave us with 4 normal after that?

I would also favor this plan.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul T
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
https://www.youtube.com/c/Catweazle00
badge
CatWeazle
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Kord Rukh: Half Orc Barbarian 4
HP 41/41 | AC 14 (17) | Javelins 3/4 | Inspiration 0/1 | Init +2 | Perc +1
Rage Slots: 3 | [ ] [ ] [ ]


Kord raises his eyebrows and shrugs. "Have care if move fast. Long Dark not forgive reckless. But... Drow scum follow."


7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Achin’ Jimmy rubs his torso and winces.

"So here’s a secret for y’all... falling eighty feet as a friggin Begonia still hurts like the nine hells."

[Smokin Jimmy | HP: 27/27 | Sorcery Points: 4/4 | AC: 12 | Save DC: 14]
Spell Slots: 1st [][][][] | 2nd [][][]
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


Faldîr | CG Male Elf Ranger / 4th | HP 36/36 | AC 16 | Init +6 | Perc +4 | PP 14 | Hunter's Mark [2], Cure Light Wounds [0], Goodberries [1]

Faldîr ponders a moment. "I wonder how many Drow follow us? Perhaps we could set up an ambush?"
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Panella
United States
Beaver Falls
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jimjar shakes his head. "Set up an ambush? Maybe that works topside, but down here, when the drow want someone, they send their best. You can bet that priestess who runs the place is personally leading the recovery efforts, with all of her elite warriors in tow. If we try to ambush them, I bet you three gold coins that we're toast within a minute."

7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

”Well, that’s a shit idea, then. From one Jim to another Jimjar, I gotta agree. As a former sorta-Drow by special definition, my kith prefer to, uh, overcompensate for perceived failure.”

[Smokin’ Jimmy | HP: 27/27 | Sorcery Points: 4/4 | AC: 12 | Save DC: 14]
Spell Slots: 1st [][][][] | 2nd [][][]
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


Faldîr | CG Male Elf Ranger / 4th | HP 36/36 | AC 16 | Init +6 | Perc +4 | PP 14 | Hunter's Mark [2], Cure Light Wounds [0], Goodberries [1]

Faldîr nods and bows to Jimjar. "Then I defer to your experience..."
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rueben S
Canada
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ruus 'Cutter' Uhl, Eldritch Knight 4
12/40, AC 17(19), Second Wind [0/1], Action Surge [0/1], Saving Face [0/1] Spell Slots [1/3], 6 Javelins, Perc +3, Init -1

"It's settled then, let's get some distance between us and our pursuers and then slow things down."
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Panella
United States
Beaver Falls
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
All right, I'll roll for some random encounters shortly here!
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Panella
United States
Beaver Falls
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)

1d20 = (4) = 4
1d20 = (13) = 13
D1


The first day of travel goes by quickly. You're able to make good time, especially with Eldeth and Faldir working together to find the best paths. Though there's not clear indication of what time of day it is, you put in what feels like a hard day's worth before settling down for camp.

You build a small fire to keep warm, since the Underdark is shockingly cold. There's a small hollow in the cave wall that provides lots of cover, and you take turns keeping watch. So far, so good.

7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1217389. jasonpanella
  • 1d20 =
  • (13) =
  • 13
  • Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:42 pm
  • [+]
  • 1217390. jasonpanella
  • 1d20 =
  • (4) =
  • 4
  • Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:42 pm
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Jimmy checks the group’s belongings to make sure none of the other prisoners nicked anything, all while mumbling a few stanzas of “Ain’t No Lark (It’s The Underdark!)” to himself.

Investigation 1d20+1 = (15) + 1 = 16

[Smokin Jimmy | HP: 27/27 | Sorcery Points: 4/4 | AC: 12 | Save DC: 14]
Spell Slots: 1st [][][][] | 2nd [][][]
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1217744. Annowme
  • 1d20+1 =
  • (15) + 1 =
  • 16
  • Investigation
  • Mon Jan 1, 2018 6:32 pm
Jeff Woodman
Canada
Coaldale
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Boo!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


Saeirnin bundles some more arrows and wraps them in rope and fabric again and lights the makeshift torch off the dying fire, we could really use something better for light, I’m sorry Rat, I never learned the song that makes it, there never seemed a need before.

Saeirnin HP 23/23, AC 14
Spell Slots: 1st ( )/( )/( )/( ); 2nd ( )/( )/( ), Inspiration:0
Bardic Inspiration given: ( )/( ) Cutting Words - uses bardic inspiration slots
Pipes of the Sewer charges ( )/( )/( )
Song of rest, add 1D6 HP to any ally spending a hit die during a short rest
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Panella
United States
Beaver Falls
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jimmy:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
All of the gear seems to be accounted for.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Panella
United States
Beaver Falls
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)

1d20 = (17) = 17
1d20 = (4) = 4
1d20 = (4) = 4
1d4 = (3) = 3
1d4 = (2) = 2
D2
P3


The second day, you're able to eat a quick meal from rations you found in the drow towers. You realize you have just enough for the day--from this point on you'll have to rely on either what you have in your personal inventory, magic, or what you find while foraging.

You move quickly through the darkness. The blackness of the Underdark stretches in all directions. As Eldeth and Faldir lead the way, they turn the corner and run smack into two ragged-looking humans--a man and a woman, both middle-aged. They look beaten and bruised, and both have chains around their ankles. It seems like they'd been feeling along the wall in the dark, and--being humans--they realize they're others near them solely because they ran into them.

The both give small screams, and the man pleads, "Please! Don't kill us!"
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1218453. jasonpanella
  • 1d20 =
  • (17) =
  • 17
  • Tue Jan 2, 2018 8:17 pm
  • [+]
  • 1218454. jasonpanella
  • 1d20 =
  • (4) =
  • 4
  • Tue Jan 2, 2018 8:17 pm
  • [+]
  • 1218467. jasonpanella
  • 1d20 =
  • (4) =
  • 4
  • Tue Jan 2, 2018 8:48 pm
  • [+]
  • 1218468. jasonpanella
  • 1d4 =
  • (3) =
  • 3
  • Tue Jan 2, 2018 8:51 pm
  • [+]
  • 1218469. jasonpanella
  • 1d4 =
  • (2) =
  • 2
  • Tue Jan 2, 2018 8:51 pm
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


Faldîr | CG Male Elf Ranger / 4th | HP 36/36 | AC 16 | Init +6 | Perc +4 | PP 14 | Hunter's Mark [2], Cure Light Wounds [0], Goodberries [1]

At the beginning of each day, Faldîr will cast Goodberries and hand them out to his friends first and then Eldeth since she's leading the way. The other two he'll alternate among the others; he figures since they're denizens of the Underdark, they'll be more used to the forage that can be found down here...

Faldîr readies his bow but keeps it pointed down. "Who are you and what is your business here?"
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Panella
United States
Beaver Falls
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When you're moving at fast speed, no one can forage. So be careful--no eating = a level of exhaustion, which begins a slippery slope into Bad Newsville.

The man says. "I...we're...." It's clear that without being able to see you, he's at a loss. He begins to cry.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul T
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
https://www.youtube.com/c/Catweazle00
badge
CatWeazle
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Kord Rukh: Half Orc Barbarian 4
HP 41/41 | AC 14 (17) | Javelins 3/4 | Inspiration 0/1 | Init +2 | Perc +1
Rage Slots: 3 | [ ] [ ] [ ]


Kord brings out a torch from his pack along with a packet of rations. "You two humans. Cover eyes. Will be bright. Look away. Who you escape from? Drow? Fish men? How?" Kord lights the torch. "Answer - Kord has food." Kord studies the humans and their responses intently.

Insight: 1d20+1 = (15) + 1 = 16

Kord is loathe to light the torch. Light and the smell of burning brings... bad things.

7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1218494. Withywindle
  • 1d20+1 =
  • (15) + 1 =
  • 16
  • Insight:
  • Tue Jan 2, 2018 10:00 pm
Jason Panella
United States
Beaver Falls
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The couple shield their eyes, and when the torch is lit, the stare in awe at you. Probably from the racial diversity, but also because there are over a dozen people staring back at them, most of them armed to the teeth.

The woman stammers a bit before finding her voice. "We were part of a drow chain gang. It was us and some other villagers, plus some dwarves from the Shield Mountains. We'd been working on the chain link that held us to the rest and we...managed to snap it free."

The man stops crying. "I feel bad leaving them. But we were going to die from exhaustion. We'd been on that slave detail for...a year? Two years? We just want to see home."

Kord:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
They don't seem like they have the mental fortitude at this point to lie.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul T
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
https://www.youtube.com/c/Catweazle00
badge
CatWeazle
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Kord Rukh: Half Orc Barbarian 4
HP 41/41 | AC 14 (17) | Javelins 3/4 | Inspiration 0/1 | Init +2 | Perc +1
Rage Slots: 3 | [ ] [ ] [ ]


Kord nods. "Come with us. Very angry Drow follow," Kord grins fiercely then points to Rat. "This is Rat. She human like you. From surface." Kord looks around. "Cannot keep pace and find food. Torches bring bad things. Not only Drow. Can we leave false trail?"

Kord decides he will start to look for choke points in the tunnels as the party travels. The barbarian is thinking that the time will come where he might have to stay behind and buy the party some time. As he muses he catches something moving in the periphery of his sight. He spins around but his dark vision sees only the dark greys and deep blues of the empty cavern stretching back the way they have come. The half-orc shrugs but stays alert. Kord has been having strange dreams and visions since he desecrated the statue of Lolth in Gruumsh's name. Shadows of battling warriors in the corner of his eye, half hearing sounds alike to the crashing of the sea in a shell, but rather of clashing metal and the roars and screams of battle wreathed in the low rumble of deep laughter...


7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [25] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.