Scarlet Heroes
Genesys Core Rulebook
James Bond 007
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Tomb of Annihilation
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game
Wizards
Trail of Cthulhu
Dungeons & Dragons Basic Set (First Edition)
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook
Fiasco
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Horror on the Orient Express (2nd Edition)
Adventures in Middle-earth Player's Guide
Unearthed Arcana
AMBER Diceless Role-Playing
RuneQuest (2nd Edition)
Star Wars Roleplaying Game: Revised Core Rulebook
Spirit of the Century
Hârn Regional Module
Burros & Bandidos
Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai
Universe (2nd Edition)
Dream Park
The Wheel of Time
Space Opera
Forgotten Realms Campaign Set
Apocalypse World
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box
Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game
Fate Core System
The Quiet Year
Numeria, Land of Fallen Stars
The One Ring Roleplaying Game
Monster of the Week (Revised)
Blades in the Dark
Crypt of Veritas
Star Trek Adventures Core Book
Adventurer's Companion
The Princess Bride Roleplaying Game
Bree
Xanathar's Guide to Everything
Infinity the Roleplaying Game Corebook
Our American Cousins
Cypher System Rules Primer
Star Frontiers
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Adventures in Middle-earth Loremaster's Guide» Forums » General

Subject: First time LM Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daryl Wilks
United States
Peshastin
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Love one another."
mbmbmbmbmb
This winter, I will be running a beginning campaign for my sons and their friend. While I did run a couple of Pathfinder sessions a few years ago, this is my first committed journey into RPG-ing since High School. Got a couple of questions:

1 - I have all of the AiME source books currently available, but it looks like I also need the D&D 5E Core Rules. Is the info in the 5E Starter Box sufficient, or do I need to purchase the DM's Guide?

2 - Is there a place I can find some good advice & tools specifically for running this ME setting?

3 - What tricks or tools have you found to help enrich your players' experience?

Thank you,
Daryl
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe D
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I'd suggest getting the D&D 5e Player's Handbook as well as the DM's Guide, you should be able to find them online for $30 each or so. That being said, I don't think you absolutely have to have them, and you could probably make due with the basic set, or even the free rules online.

2-3. Not sure on your other questions as I'm a PC in a pair of games, but not DM'ing either one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Wilks
United States
Peshastin
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Love one another."
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply, Joe!

How has your experience been as a player in the setting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Clarke
United Kingdom
New Milton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Might want to reread The Hobbit and LotR to get that Tolkien vibe working for you. Descriptive bits about the players surroundings and who they meet rather than 'You are in thick woods' or 'you meet an old man'. Something like 'the woods surrounding you are heavy with menace, moisture drips from the leaves and the smell of rot taints the air' or 'the figure before you is dressed in travelling attire with a heavy, grey, hooded cloak wrapped around his shoulders. You can hear the chink of metal as he moves and can see the tip of his scabbard protruding below the edge of the cloak. His face, although shadowed by the hood, is of a man of middle age, his beard containing a hint of grey."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob M.
United States
College Park,
Maryland
flag msg tools
Its Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
mbmbmbmbmb
Scruffdog wrote:
This winter, I will be running a beginning campaign for my sons and their friend. While I did run a couple of Pathfinder sessions a few years ago, this is my first committed journey into RPG-ing since High School. Got a couple of questions:

1 - I have all of the AiME source books currently available, but it looks like I also need the D&D 5E Core Rules. Is the info in the 5E Starter Box sufficient, or do I need to purchase the DM's Guide?

2 - Is there a place I can find some good advice & tools specifically for running this ME setting?

3 - What tricks or tools have you found to help enrich your players' experience?

Thank you,
Daryl

I have just recently started doing 5e with my kids after a looong time away from RPGs. I am using just the Core Player's, Lore & Monster Manual books for the adventure. I bought the AiME Player's & Lore in hope's of transitioning the campaign to it. I think you can get away with just the Core Player's Handbook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Wilks
United States
Peshastin
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Love one another."
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, thanks Rob!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Scruffdog wrote:

You'll need the Player's Handbook (D&D 5e) for the full experience. But, the freely available basic rules is enough to get you started. If you have the Adventures in Middle-earth Loremaster's Guide then you don't really need Monster Manual (D&D 5e) or Dungeon Master's Guide (D&D 5e). The Loremaster's book has stats for Middle-earth inspired adversaries. It also has plenty of guidance for how things are different in Middle-earth than in standard fantasy. The Adventures in Middle-earth Player's Guide covers a lot of those differences, but I think the Loremaster's book goes even further.

Scruffdog wrote:

Step one is the Adventures in Middle-earth Loremaster's Guide. It goes into detail about how to create a world that rings true for Middle-earth. Another good option is The Eaves of Mirkwood & Loremaster's Screen. It has an introductory scenario with pre-generated characters that is pretty fun and walks people new to the game and/or the setting through the rules.

Scruffdog wrote:

Like Nigel said, read (or re-read) the books if you have the time. If you don't have the time or inclination to invest in those books, at least watch the various movies. There's also some good BBC radio adaptations to listen to.

Since you've played Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, it won't hurt to explicitly spell out the differences between Middle-earth and standard fantasy. Magic is both rare and common place. There are only a handful of Istari who are capable of "showy magic," but even they usually restrain from doing. But almost every race has some ability that another race considers magical: dwarven and elven smithing, hobbit stealth, some of the various singing, etc.

Also, the journey is important. If not the most important thing, it's right up there. That's why there are rules for it.

It also won't hurt to remind new players about the role of treasure. Constantly looking for ancient hoards and looting bodies is a great way for player heroes to get corrupted by the shadow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.