Legacy of Dragonholt
Xas Irkalla
Call of Cthulhu Starter Set
Blades in the Dark
Paranoia: Red Clearance Edition
Fall of Magic
Forbidden Lands Player's Handbook
Forbidden Lands Gamemaster's Guide
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
Good Society: A Jane Austen Role-Playing Game
Knights & Legends
Complete Gunslinger
Fey Folio
SPACERS Core
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Mouse Guard (2nd Edition)
Curse of Strahd
The Skeletons
M-Space
Kids on Bikes
Woodfall
Knights & Legends the Rogue Priest Expansion and Campaign
Changeling: The Lost Second Edition
City
Red Bat Cthulhu
The Santa Lands
Book 01: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain
MJ1: Media Junkie: Take One
On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Clash of the Princes
Dungeon World Roleplaying Game
Horror on the Orient Express (2nd Edition)
Assault on the Goblin Hold
The One Ring Roleplaying Game
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Adventurer's Guide
Index Card RPG Core
Tiny Dungeon 2nd Edition
Adventure Kit: Oath of the Frozen King
Maria in Three Parts
Waterdeep: Dragon Heist
Scum and Villainy
The Vaults of K'Horror
Dungeon Delve Adventure #2: Dungeons of the Dread Wyrm
Rangers of Shadow Deep: A Tabletop Adventure Game
El Tesoro de Córdoba
All That Glitters is Palladium: A Short History of Palladium Books
Monarchies of Mau Guide's Screen
Mother's Maze
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
25 Posts

RPG» Forums » General Discussion » General Role-Playing

Subject: B1 & B2 Into the Borderlands for 5E rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: borderlands [+] 5E [+] B1 [+] B2 [+] Goodman [+] [View All]
Karl Wobbe
Canada
Pickering
Ontario
flag msg tools
I searched and saw some things about this and I have posted before but figured a new topic about it was the better way to go.

Goodman Games is redoing the original B1 and B2 modules for 5E and released some new info on how it's all going.

We are targeting April release date, hardcover format, 384 pages, $49.99.

http://goodman-games.com/blog/2018/01/21/into-the-borderland...

http://goodman-games.com/blog/2018/01/10/the-latest-news-on-...

*edit*
They are also releasing a PDF version of it though I do not know at what price.

*edit #2*
Pre-Orders are up

http://goodman-games.com/blog/2018/01/28/into-the-borderland...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the update. This one is definitely on my "must buy" list for this year. I want to run it with my kids, and am vacillating between good old Basic and 5e. Knowing that they're planning on an April release is a huge help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Hardy
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
It will be interesting to see how it plays in 5E. TSR era games tend to have a lot of PC deaths on low-levels. The challenge was to survive. 5E doesn't have that. Makes me wonder if things will be as deadly for 5E players or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Pennisi
United States
Lawrenceville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
B1 In Search of the Unknown was 32 pages and B2 The Keep on the Borderlands was 28 pages. Making a total of 60 pages between the two.
Goodman's version is 384 pages.
What makes up the other 324 pages?
5e mechanics and art?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
DadsAngry wrote:
B1 In Search of the Unknown was 32 pages and B2 The Keep on the Borderlands was 28 pages. Making a total of 60 pages between the two.
5e mechanics and art?

They discuss that in the first link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Bailey
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
“I would have made this instrumental, but the words got in the way...” —XTC, “No Language in Our Lungs”
badge
“Self-discipline isn’t everything; look at Pol Pot.” —Helen Fielding, _Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason_
mbmbmbmbmb
Very happy to see this:
Goodman Games wrote:
…for now the format is a typical 8.5 x 11 book.

Some of Goodman's previous releases have been so large-format that they won't fit on any shelf that I own, and are unwieldy at the table. I much prefer a standard-sized book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Hardy
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
DadsAngry wrote:
5e mechanics and art?

They are printing the original first published adventures of each using original rules. Then they are doing a version of each. They are fleshing out the undeveloped territories and adding in some new encounters. There is 30+ pages of new items, spells, henchmen, etc.

But yes, based on their statement and the Table of Contents the 5E conversion is mostly to play.

Quote:
[T]here is a 5E conversion of the original modules. The 5E conversions of course take up quite a bit of space, because there are many rooms and creatures to stat up. The 5E stat blocks for new creatures and NPCs take a lot more room than 1E stat blocks. There is more art than in the original 1E editions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
DadsAngry wrote:

I too miss the good old days of modest length filled with summarized content. I was annoyed with almost every 5e product I've seen so far; I don't need hundreds of pages for adventure prep. And what I did need was inline stat blocks for monsters to prevent me having to flip through books constantly.

But clearly the market wants tomes of content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Jones
United Kingdom
Surbiton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a newly returning DM (red box in the mid eighties) who never ran these modules - or certainly can't remember them! - I'd be interested to know: are people interested in this mainly because of nostalgia, because they remain great adventures or both?

In the marketing blurb, the publisher refers a lot to the collectible / historical value - I'm wondering if that's an indication that they're designed more as a coffee table purchase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Bailey
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
“I would have made this instrumental, but the words got in the way...” —XTC, “No Language in Our Lungs”
badge
“Self-discipline isn’t everything; look at Pol Pot.” —Helen Fielding, _Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason_
mbmbmbmbmb
Edmonton911 wrote:
As a newly returning DM (red box in the mid eighties) who never ran these modules - or certainly can't remember them! - I'd be interested to know: are people interested in this mainly because of nostalgia, because they remain great adventures or both?

I want to see how they adapt the adventures to 5th edition, but I also want to see whether Into the Unknown would be more interesting to me if it came with pre-stocked monsters instead of being a "the solution is left to the reader" exercise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Doupe
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:
DadsAngry wrote:

I too miss the good old days of modest length filled with summarized content. I was annoyed with almost every 5e product I've seen so far; I don't need hundreds of pages for adventure prep. And what I did need was inline stat blocks for monsters to prevent me having to flip through books constantly.

Yep. In defiance of my experience with modern adventures, I recently bought a D&D Next/5E adventure (the Legacy of the Crystal Shard) and immediately had buyer's remorse. Walls of text full of content the PCs will never interact with - history, NPC backgrounds, etc. Important game content buried in these walls of text, requiring me to either memorize 100 pages of content, or create my own notes summarizing the content for practical use at the table.

I want adventure and setting content to be 80 per cent stuff that the PCs will see and touch, and 20 per cent background and plot of interest only to the DM. To be written with utility at the table in mind, rather than as fantasy fiction to be read for its own sake. But the market seems to want the opposite.

As for this product, as a nostalgic DM who ran these back in the day and would like to play them with my kids, I should be the target customer for something like this. But it seems like a weird hybrid of collectable reprint and modern conversion. Why would I need not just two, but three versions of each module?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Hardy
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Edmonton911 wrote:

I am not really sure who the audience is for this. In terms of usefulness, it is only useful for 5E players who want to play B1 and B2. If you liked those adventures, and still play, then I think you are more likely to be playing an older edition or retro clone than 5E.

So I guess it is being targeted at older players who have played 5E, but want to run these old modules. Beyond that, I would assume collectors. It does have the first printing of the modules. That might be appealing to some.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Wobbe
Canada
Pickering
Ontario
flag msg tools
SteamCraft wrote:
Edmonton911 wrote:

I am not really sure who the audience is for this. In terms of usefulness, it is only useful for 5E players who want to play B1 and B2. If you liked those adventures, and still play, then I think you are more likely to be playing an older edition or retro clone than 5E.

So I guess it is being targeted at older players who have played 5E, but want to run these old modules. Beyond that, I would assume collectors. It does have the first printing of the modules. That might be appealing to some.

That's me...old time gamer with kids getting into it.

$50 for a module is is sadly the way of things and this one is nostalgic.

B2 was the first module I ever played and I still own the original copy.
I actually posted a review of the 5E Starter that mentioned it before even discovering this new version.

https://rpggeek.com/thread/1889248/it-truly-started-it-my-7-...

It will be neat to see how they have reworked the originals into the new version and it was simply a fun dungeon crawl before dungeon crawls even existed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Edmonton911 wrote:

In the marketing blurb, the publisher refers a lot to the collectible / historical value - I'm wondering if that's an indication that they're designed more as a coffee table purchase.

B2 is still eminently playable, and still a good module. I ran it using the Basic ruleset at the local game store about five years ago, and had a screaming good time. I still pull it out and run it now and then for folks as a throwback experience.

Remember it was written as a "how to" guide for DMs, and so it's written to help them learn the ropes. It's a much more difficult adventure for players, and playing it as-written with beginning players can lead to a high body count. It's also very much in the dungeon-crawl mode. You have to have players who want that kind of experience.

The "How to DM" advice in the front of B2 is very good advice. Some of the best written advice Gygax ever put out. I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to hand it out to a beginner and say, "Here. Work from this and come back to me with questions."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Per Robb's, points, I think the target audience is both collectors and new players--which is a weird mix.

I've still got the original B2, and could do my own conversion in an hour or two, or even on the fly, if I wanted to run it in 5E. So I don't need the product on either count. It would need to be marked down severely to be worth it to me, especially given the format in which it is presented.

For a budding GM I know, part of this would be an excellent product. The original modules with advice and 5E stats is exactly what he needs. It's a shame he has to overpay for that to also get the collectible aspect, which is irrelevant to his purpose. Though I suppose a PDF would be more useful in that regard, since it would be cheaper, and you could print only the parts you care about.

The willful, obtuse drive to make 5E things half-baked is starting to annoy me more than just a little.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Samathi wrote:
Per Robb's, points, I think the target audience is both collectors and new players--which is a weird mix.

I may be the only guy on the planet who is the target market for the whole thing. The collectible/historical aspect is fascinating and interesting to me, but I'm likely to make use of the 5e conversion with my kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am the Scherb
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
Old school RPG, Back in the game!
badge
Programmer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto. Target market also..

I may even run parts of it here in the PbF.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Wobbe
Canada
Pickering
Ontario
flag msg tools
robbbbbb wrote:
Samathi wrote:

I may be the only guy on the planet who is the target market for the whole thing. The collectible/historical aspect is fascinating and interesting to me, but I'm likely to make use of the 5e conversion with my kids.

I'm right there with you and the target market, and I think there is an unusual number of us like that frankly.

We all started when we were 8-10...now we got 8-10 year olds.

Plus we've got jobs and money to reminisce and splurge on things with our kids.

It's true $20 B1&B2 module for 5E would be fine...but $50 for this is not a bad deal all things considered from my point of view.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobey_333 wrote:

It's true $20 B1&B2 module for 5E would be fine...but $50 for this is not a bad deal all things considered from my point of view.

Don't get me wrong. It's not all bad. Half-baked is better than raw.

I'm aggravated because it is considerably less than it could be, with even a little thought and effort. In particular, a hard-back book is a terrible means to do any adventure. OK, you got to do that, because it is what sells. Fine. Then make some of those pages/extras be things that help run the blasted adventure. NPC interaction maps. Players aids. Indexes. If you can't put it in a good format, at least add 10-20 pages at the back that organize it six ways to Sunday. (Or even better, do that, and then include the same material in a companion PDF.) Those 10-20 pages are considerable work, but they would make that $50.00 a lot better value.

They write adventures the way Microsoft writes documentation. It's not impossible to use, but annoying as hell.

Edit: I want to give them some money, and they are working overtime to drive me away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Wobbe
Canada
Pickering
Ontario
flag msg tools
they are releasing a PDF version of it.

And hopefully Goodman has some decent index and appendix stuff they do a LOT of these things and know what and how people play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:
DadsAngry wrote:

I like the general look and utility of the 5E adventures so far. I stopped running them not because the modules suck (they're fairly linear, but rather good), but because 5 campaign years in 3 years is a bit much for someone like me.
I prefer a different game every 3-12 months.

Note that the big book modules are just that 3-6 months of regular play, 12 if you have extensive RPers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Wobbe
Canada
Pickering
Ontario
flag msg tools
Just another update on this...they started pre-orders.

http://goodman-games.com/blog/2018/01/28/into-the-borderland...

$30 shipping is a big letdown mind you...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am the Scherb
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
Old school RPG, Back in the game!
badge
Programmer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just pre-ordered.. It will look good on my Coffee Table..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fee
United States
Corning
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No fair! They're using brains against us! We removed our brains to make room for guns and explosives!
mbmbmbmbmb
Curious how this will compare to Classic Modules Today B1: In Search of the Unknown and Classic Modules Today B2: The Keep on the Borderlands. Especially at the $50 vs total of $4 (though you need the original modules for the Classic Modules Today series).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a Borderlands playtest back when 5th ed. was Next, and found it to be very disappointing. The early levels of the new game simply aren't comparable to low-level play in BECMI, and attempting to redcreate that feeling just didn't work.

Color me somewhat skeptical here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.