Legacy of Dragonholt
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
Fiasco
She Bleeds
Waterdeep: Dragon Heist
Project Powerpunk Demo Adventure
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Princes of the Apocalypse
Knights & Legends
Woodfall
Fantasy World Creator
Gothnog's Blasphemous Abominations: The Lich
Vampire: The Masquerade (2nd Edition)
Savage Worlds (Revised Second Edition)
Dragonlance Campaign Setting
Red Hand of Doom
Champions (First Edition)
A Spy in Isengard
Adventure Gaming (Issue 2 - Aug 1981)
Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game
Forbidden Lands Player's Handbook
Forbidden Lands Gamemaster's Guide
Raven's Purge
Realms of Terrinoth
Masks of Nyarlathotep (5th edition)
Legend of the Five Rings RPG: Core Rulebook
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,495 Supporters

Subject: Join the 2018 RPGgeek review challenge rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Review_Challenge [+] [View All]
designer
Whoever the five of you are who nominated me for Citizen Recognition I am truly touched
I'm running this again, you should join. If you've posted a review already - you've already joined!

The 2018 review challenge is the fourth year this challenge is being run in its current format. I understand the prior years had an iron reviewer competition.

The challenge started at the beginning of the year (1 Jan) and continues until 31 Dec 2018. The closing date will be using the geek timestamp, (Review must be submitted before 2400 hours 31 Dec 2018) but as I'm in NZ you may see my monthly posts a day early (if efficient) or several days late (if inefficient)

The gig is this, you read the rules, you head over to the Sign up list

The Goal

In this challenge your goal is to accrue points by writing reviews of any item or listing on RPG Geek with a review forum.

This 2018 is similar in the 2017 review challenge has some changes to prior years. In particular bonus points are being awarded for reviewing an item with at least one other review.

The Prizes

We will award a "victory" microbadge for reaching 100 points:
I promise I'll manage to coax someone into organizing a microbadge

AS WELL AS a participant badge for those who earn at least 10 points while also writing at least one review:
I promise I'll manage to coax steve into organizing a microbadge again

The top three OVERALL point totals will also split any geekgold tipped to this post, with 1st getting 50%, 2nd getting 30%, and third 20%.

I'll also be financing four seasonal awards for the top point finishers in each month of the year. The entrant who accumulates the most points during each of these periods will receive 100 GG from my coffers.

Whilst I will writing reviews for this challenge I will be ineligible for any geekgold

See the main thread for an accounting of the current prize fund.

How do you score points?

The basics: you score 1 point for each review you write between now and December 31, 2018. Your review can be attached to any element of the database (RPG system, item, issue, periodical, series, setting) except for a single article. The only condition is that the review must be posted first to this site. No fair recopying everything from your blog to win the competition!

There are lots of ways to score more points on your reviews. You can earn an additional point in any (and all!) of the following ways:

d10-1 Ranking – You will score one additional point for ranking the rpg item you have reviewed in the rpg database and for making a comment on the item in the ranking system. If you've read this far you will realise that every review should be able to score two points, one for the review, one for ranking the item.

d10-2 High-level: By reviewing an RPG, periodical, series, setting, or system. (Anything aside from an RPG item or issue.) NOTE: If you review an RPG that has only a single item (and will only ever have a single item), and you choose to place your review at the item level, you may still claim this bonus. Keep in mind that RPG (rather than item) reviews are meant to be comprehensive and based on actual play. Just be honest with yours self about whether your review merits the bonus. We trust you!

d10-3 Homegrown: By reviewing an entry produced during one of RPG Geek's design contests or events.

d10-4 Theme: Each month will have two theme. Get an extra point for reviews that fit either theme (max 2 per theme). Get a review that fits both themes get 2 points (and street cred, sweet sweet street cred) You get to decide whether you hit the theme. But don't be a jerk about it.

d10-5 Consistency: Claim a bonus point for each of the first two reviews you post during each calendar month.

d10-6 Session: If you submit a review AND session report for the same item/RPG/etc. Both must be listed under the same database object to count, and both must be posted in 2017!

d10-7 Depth – Prior years have focused on expanding the total number of reviews. This year I would like to see a greater depth of opinion on items – Score one additional point if the item you are reviewing has at least one prior review.

d10-8Length – Score 1 additional point if the item you are reviewing is over 32 pages in length. The idea is to count printed pages as you would find in a physical item, most pdfs count pages like this. If you find a very unusual item ask. Score a further additional point if the item is over 200 pages

d10-9 Temporary Bonuses: I reserve the right to institute temporary point bonuses throughout the year to connect with other events on RPG Geek. These will be announced in this thread.

Comments

In addition, you earn one point for commenting (constructively!) on someone else's review. This is limited to one bonus point per month.

But dock yourself a point if you reply to a review to correct spelling errors, grammar problems or typos. If you see those things, send a geekmail to the author.

Taking the Challenge

If you're interested, sign up below!

Fair warning: you will need to:
Write reviews!
Tally your points on your geeklist item entry!
If you wish to be considered for the seasonal bonuses, you must also tally your seasonal points on your geeklist item entry. I'll give fair warning when the award time is reached!

In other words: as organizer, I don't intend to do any math. That's all up to you!

The Themes

Diner Table
Ghostly
Stuffed

Themes for July - Rex & Out of Print
Since the organizer will be participating this year, I'm going to randomly determine the monthly themes
Darren Breidigan
Cleveland
Tennessee
mbmbmb

bhyeti wrote:

And you have a post for the 2019 geek review contest?

This sounds bad but do you have a link to the 2019 one? I was preparing it for the 2018 one but then my computer threw a wobbly and I thought I hadn't posted it (but clearly I was wrong).

You sign up making an item in the geeklist and begin counting your own points like this geeklist from 2017
Bifford the Youngest (Sam)
England

Watford
mb
Bifford wrote:

Thanks, I've deleted that mistake.... blush

Damn. That was my only chance of even keeping up with Steve in the first month.
I'm #2
Wait, what? Dick... esque... what?! I thought this was a family site!

OK, I looked it up.

dickensesque: Resembling or peculiar to the style of Charles Dickens, the novelist.

So, long-winded, prolix, and basically unreadable. Got it.

Edit: Whooo, boy, I am waiting for somebody to claim that bonus point. So I can mock the heck out of their review
ctimmins wrote:
Wait, what? Dick... esque... what?! I thought this was a family site!

OK, I looked it up.

So, long-winded, prolix, and basically unreadable. Got it.

Or you could find an item relating to the oppression of the poor, and the dreadful life of the working man.

I'm waiting for "Anger Management" to come up personally.
M. B. Downey
Suitland
Maryland
designer
Shouldn't that be Dickensian?
The Minister of Sinister
Pennsylvania
Hey! Stop poking me!

This is where we sign up for fame, fortune, and glory? I'm here to honor King Steve. All hail!
Quote:
Themes for March - Mass Combat & Puppies

So I really really want to read the review that scores both of these points together.
0.25
I'm #2
Mass combat and puppies review currently moving through geekmod...

Themes for May - Heavy Metal & Savage

So I really really wish I had purchased
Vaginas Are Magic! now
Bifford the Youngest (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
Bifford the Youngest
I. Am. Failing. Miserably.
So I really really wish I had purchased Vaginas Are Magic! now

Don't miss the upcoming Eldritch Cock
designer
Sorry for the delay but I was sick.

Themes for June- Cuteness & The Last Things
Teh Slipperboy
Allen Park
Michigan
designer
Thanks to some able assistance from
Wurtsboro
NY
designer
We always have time for the things we put first.

We now have badges. There are five participants and one completer so far.
1.00
Theme(s) for July?
Theme(s) for July?

I apologise, this year has been a constant cycle of busyness.

Themes for July - Rex & Out of Print
Azukail Games
msg tools
publisher
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
Okay, going to have to ask - What is Rex? Kings? Dogs? Random people called Rex? T. rex? All of the above?
TTDG
Fairfax
Virginia
Azukail wrote:

Rex is Latin for king, IIRC. But your real answer is probably 'whatever connection to Rex you can make'.
thumbsup

Rex Zinn
Azukail Games
msg tools
publisher
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
ThroughTheDeckGlass wrote:
Azukail wrote:

All of the above it is then!

ctimmins wrote:

I might actually have some of the Polyhedrons he contributed to; I'll have to check.
Themes for August - OSR & Liberalism