Hoard of the Dragon Queen
Tech Support
Escape the Underdark
Dark Elves' Lair
The Great Pendragon Campaign
The Space Gamer (Issue 15 - Jan 1978)
Drunken Bear Fighter
Tales from the Loop: GM Screen
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
Realms of Terrinoth
Into the Jungle
RuneQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha
Forbidden Knowledge
Mutants & Marvels 1.0
Book 01: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain
Book 04: Starship Traveller
Book 05: City of Thieves
Book 01: Dungeon of Dread
Masque of the Red Death and Other Tales
Griffin Mountain
The SKETCH System Core Rulebook
Dragon (Issue 72 - Apr 1983)
Heart of Ice
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box
Dark Heresy Second Edition Core Rulebook
Fragged Empire: Core Rule Book
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Monster Manual (D&D 5e)
Dungeon Master's Guide (D&D 5e)
Blades in the Dark
Volo's Guide to Monsters
Orbital 2100
Tales from the Loop
Tales from the Loop: Map
Tomb of Annihilation
Ironsworn
Shattered: A Grimdark RPG
Mothership Player's Survival Guide
Pathfinder #136: Temple of the Peacock Spirit
Pathfinder #137: The City Outside of Time
Rangers of Shadow Deep: A Tabletop Adventure Game
Android: Shadow of the Beanstalk
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,196 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
361 Posts
[1]  Prev «  11 , 12 , 13 , 14 , 15  Next »  [15] | 

RPG» Forums » Community » The Tavern

Subject: MLS (Soccer) Fantasy League 2018 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce McGeorge
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey you kids, get off my Avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
vestige wrote:
The games last night were crazy. I should have stuck with the Crew, but I got swung by home field advantage. I'm happy for the Crew, but annoyed that this probably means an even longer wait on an announcement about the USMNT coach. Nov. 1 has passed, people!

Right?

I really enjoyed the game. Well played, tense. Good stuff.

vestige wrote:
LAFC-RSL was pretty insane. I saw the second half

Yeah, I saw 10 minutes before I was toast. Damn it.

The crowd... yeah, that sounded pretty terrible. It doesn't take much to turn passion into something bad. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McGeorge
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Atlanta United FC; 59/0), Ethan Horvath (Club Brugge/BEL; 2/0), Zack Steffen (Columbus Crew; 6/0)

DEFENDERS (10): John Brooks (Wolfsburg/GER; 35/3), Reggie Cannon (FC Dallas; 1/0), Cameron Carter-Vickers (Swansea City/WAL; 6/0), Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls; 1/0), Matt Miazga (Nantes/FRA; 10/1), Shaq Moore (Reus Deportiu/ESP; 3/0), Antonee Robinson (Wigan Athletic/ENG; 6/0), Jorge Villafaña (Portland Timbers; 19/0), DeAndre Yedlin (Newcastle United/ENG; 56/0), Walker Zimmerman (LAFC; 3/1)

MIDFIELDERS (13): Kellyn Acosta (Colorado Rapids; 21/2), Tyler Adams (New York Red Bulls; 7/1), Luca de la Torre (Fulham/ENG; 1/0), Marky Delgado (Toronto FC/CAN; 5/0), Romain Gall (Malmö/SWE; 0/0), Julian Green (Greuther Fürth/GER; 14/4), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy; 3/1), Weston McKennie (Schalke/GER; 6/1), Darlington Nagbe (Atlanta United FC; 25/1), Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund/GER; 21/9), Kenny Saief (Anderlecht/BEL; 3/0), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC; 9/0), Tim Weah (Paris Saint-Germain/FRA; 7/1)

FORWARDS (2): Josh Sargent (Werder Bremen/GER; 5/2), Bobby Wood (Hannover 96/GER; 43/13)

Cool, I guess. I do wonder where Amon is. It sounds like he is going to be joining the U-20's.

Saief must not have been too deep in the doghouse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McGeorge
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

gulpgulpgulpgulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Always in season
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have any particular issues with the roster...I fully expect Pulisic to get injured against Bayern this weekend! I guess I'm a bit surprised that so many players from MLS playoff teams are going, but I assume they'll rotate them quite a bit so as not to over stress anyone.

Dramatic game tonight! I didn't watch much but kept tabs on it and saw most of the extra time (and penalties). I think Lodeiro's bleached hair did him in. Too distracting for me, and probably his teammates too!

And, umm, two more months? I guess they are expecting the Crew to make a deep run through the playoffs, eh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
vestige wrote:

Dramatic game tonight! I didn't watch much but kept tabs on it and saw most of the extra time (and penalties). I think Lodeiro's bleached hair did him in. Too distracting for me, and probably his teammates too!

I turned it off after the handball. Was getting too wound up. Who knows when this Cascadia playoff matchup will happen again. More taking s**t from Portland fans until we finally win a playoff series, because apparently not even making it far enough to get you to the matchup doesn't get you any demerits, at least from Portland logic (like last year when we couldn't play POR because they lost to HOU. We subsequently beat HOU). If RSL can pull the upset against SKC Portland's road to MLS Cup seems pretty clear, given that Petke really doesn't seem to know how to deal with their team.

On one hand, the team I've been rooting for after Seattle lately is Cbus. On the other as you guys have pointed out that means more USMNT coaching wait...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McGeorge
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
littlechandler wrote:
vestige wrote:

Dramatic game tonight! I didn't watch much but kept tabs on it and saw most of the extra time (and penalties).

I turned it off after the handball.

Me, I got to watch the 0-0 first half before going to bed... snore
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McGeorge
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, England 3 - 0 USMNT.

gulp

I watched the whole game, but I was preoccupied the first half.

So, here's my concern.

I said upstream that if there was a game the USMNT needed to win tomorrow, the back line would be Villafana Brooks Miazga Yedlin. Whew, I'm starting to re-think that.

Left back is still a problem, no doubt. Robinson missing this game was unfortunate.

Brooks has been pretty terrible for awhile now. I'm stunned. I think Long deserves another game and probably CCV too.

Miazga, I thought, was okay. He needs to get his club situation sorted though. It's hard to play against England when you are playing for your reserve team.

Yedlin. He's not where I thought he'd be at this point. He's probably still the best option.

And one last thing... hire a effing coach. I think Sarachan is starting to get tuned out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McGeorge
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rumor has it that Claudio Ranieri was offered to Colorado and New England. Both clubs immediately turned it down.

He then accepted the Fulham job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Always in season
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that first half was dreadful. They simply couldn't get the ball! The few times they did, long balls from the back ended it quickly. I don't really understand what the tactical problem was...but in the second half when they decided to press, things went a lot better. So I guess I am leaning more and more toward playing that way.

I agree that, even with the midfield problems, the back line wasn't impressive. It's all in the air now!

Also, it's not like Wood had much service, but he didn't impress either. Green simply isn't up to this level. Weah isn't great at getting himself involved, evidently - he's no Pulisic at making things happen on his own.

And, yeah, get an friggin' coach!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McGeorge
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Okay, interesting. Although I assume this means neither Trapp nor Guzan will be in the starting 11.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
https://www.si.com/soccer/2018/11/20/julen-lopetegui-usmnt-j...

"Meanwhile, a source with firsthand knowledge says that Julen Lopetegui, who coached Real Madrid and Spain this year, recently approached U.S. Soccer through an intermediary to express interest in the U.S. job.

U.S. Soccer, the source said, replied that it was too far down the line in its process to entertain the interest of Lopetegui, who was undefeated in 20 matches (14-0-6) across two years as the Spain coach."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McGeorge
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
littlechandler wrote:
"Meanwhile, a source with firsthand knowledge says that Julen Lopetegui, who coached Real Madrid and Spain this year, recently approached U.S. Soccer through an intermediary to express interest in the U.S. job.

U.S. Soccer, the source said, replied that it was too far down the line in its process to entertain the interest of Lopetegui, who was undefeated in 20 matches (14-0-6) across two years as the Spain coach."

Sigh.

The game this afternoon... Whatever. Points to Horvath. Glad to see him perform like that. Everyone else... forgettable.

Many USMNT pundits are calling out the lack of "earnable" caps. I'm half+ in that camp. If you aren't playing with your club team, what's going on? I've always said... get the most minutes for the best team that you can. I'm not sure 0 minutes with PSG is better than 2000 minutes with MLS.

For the record, Marky Delgado had 1984 minutes with Toronto this year. Yeah, honestly, I never want to see him get USMNT minutes again. Especially starts. He's spackle. You want him to be the 23rd man on the roster? Okay. If he's on the field, you know there's a problem.

So, just get a frigging coach. At this point, I'm almost beyond caring. Go forward... for a change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McGeorge
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reports are that the Galaxy have made an offer to Berhalter. gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McGeorge
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish Grant Wahl would stop tweeting... soblue

So, that might mean that Pareja, Porter, and Berhalter were interviewed. Pareja is rumored to be going to Tijuana.

This is bananas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McGeorge
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More bananas.

Quote:
Doug McIntyre of Yahoo! Sports reports that no deal has been finalized for Berhalter, though one is close, and former FC Dallas boss Oscar Pareja has been interviewed as well. The pair were two of four final candidates; At least one of the other mystery finalists were international, according to McIntyre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McGeorge
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
13 months without a head coach...

So, Steffan to Manchester City. As usual, that makes me nervous. If he gets some PT, great. Maybe Cup games?

That said, I think he's good enough with the right opportunity to break through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McGeorge
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have a running joke. Whenever anyone does a short corner, I yell "hey, x just did a short corner!" My wife says, "oh, no, did it work?" I say, "of course not." Sure. Once every a bazillion times it works. Most of the time, no. For every time it works, the other team counters.

ATL v POR.

Not surprised.

I expect ATL to win. Unless they do short corners...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brumcg wrote:

I expect ATL to win. Unless they do short corners...

I actually think Portland has a pretty decent chance gulp. Not favorites surely, but I think Portland can dare Atlanta to come out more, and then Portland's counterattacking style lets them go toe to toe with the best of teams. If I counted right they have 8W 5D 4L against playoff teams, which is actually better than their record against non-playoff teams. Or thought another way, think TOR vs. SEA 2016, in terms of matchup disparity and approach, only with the final transition piece to actually put shots on goal gulp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Always in season
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally! Berhalter will be announced today.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/united-states/story/3710251/sourc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McGeorge
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vestige wrote:
Finally! Berhalter will be announced today.

Already?!? laugh

I hope this feeling is due to the coaching situation and the lack of meaningful games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McGeorge
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, it's official.

I've clearly been a proponent of Berhalter assuming that that coaching pool was limited to - essentially - MLS coaches. I like him better than Pareja who was the other finalist according to reports.

The process was horrible. From the delays in hiring Stewart to the delays in hiring Berhalter, it seemed like MLS club teams were more important than the USMNT jobs. It's a bad look.

Fan response that I've seen so far has been overwhelmingly negative. I really don't think Jay Berhalter influenced things, but, sure, another bad look.

So let's go forward. The first interesting decision will be tactical. Does Berhalter bring the Crew system to the USMNT? Or is there a different way forward?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
msg tools
badge
Burkhalter? I’ve told that fucking kraut a thousand times....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McGeorge
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McGeorge
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I watched Berhalter's announcement press conference. The only time I raised eyebrows is when Alexi Lalas asked him to go deeper on tactics, and Berhalter said the 'A' word - attacking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McGeorge
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've listened to a couple of things with Berhalter... including the MLS Extra Time Podcast. Even though I'm a Crew "fan", I really haven't heard him talk very much.

I liked what I heard. He's clearly a planner and has a focused vision.

I can't wait for the January camp. I'll be watching what he does with LB, RB, D-mid, and the #10/attacking center mid/whatever. It's going to be a huge camp for North American players.

My thoughts on a few players...

I think Wil Trapp will be the D-mid safety blanket. He knows what to do. Personally, I'd like to see someone like a Canouse start a succession plan. Bradley scares me; his distribution has been spotty for a long time.

I'm expecting Brooks Lennon to get a strong look at right back. He has the potential to be a Berhalter-style RB. If Graham Zusi is in camp - despite his age - he'll be a factor.

I think Paul Arriola is going to be a factor with Berhalter. He doesn't score goals, but he can whip in a cross. I've heard rumors that it might be a good thing for him to switch to RB.

The AMC... no clue. Maybe Lletget or Rowe get a look? Nagbe? This is the spot that's most interesting. Pulisic wants the spot (according to interviews); I think the camp will show us how Berhalter feels about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  11 , 12 , 13 , 14 , 15  Next »  [15] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.