Dragons Conquer America: The Dawn of a New World
Realms of Terrinoth
Eriador Adventures
Stranger Things Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Dark Streets & Darker Secrets
The Witch of Underwillow
Volo's Complete Subrace Handbook
After þe Haunt
Alarums & Excursions (Issue 522: May 2019)
A Wolf at the Door
Heroes of Baldur's Gate
Iconic Encounters: B6 - The Veiled Society
Iconic Encounters: X8 - Drums on Fire Mountain
Book of Tomorrow (Issue 5 - Jul 2005)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles & Other Strangeness
Dungeons & Dragons Set 1: Basic Rules
GB1: Trouble Brewing
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook
Alone Against the Wendigo
Ultimate Toolbox
Legendary Duck Tower and Other Tales
Microscope
Vornheim: The Complete City Kit
Vampire: The Masquerade (20th Anniversary Edition)
BB2: Elgar Fletch and the Dark Army
Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game
The Quiet Year
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Monster Manual (D&D 5e)
Dungeon Master's Guide (D&D 5e)
Sorcerers of Ur-Turuk
Starfinder Core Rulebook
Pathfinder Society Scenario 8-99: The Solstice Scar
Stone Dragon Mountain
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
390 Posts
[1]  Prev «  12 , 13 , 14 , 15 , 16  Next »  [16] | 

RPG» Forums » Community » The Tavern

Subject: MLS (Soccer) Fantasy League 2018 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I listened to the ExtraTime interview on my way to work yesterday as well, and I quite liked it. He's definitely articulate. He seems to have a philosophy, but it's fairly broad (disorganize the other team to create goal-scoring opportunities) so I can see him adjusting his particular tactics to the situation or players available.

I've been thinking that in CONCACAF it's going to be tough to stick to one game plan. So often you're playing the teams that pack it in and defend at all costs, but eventually you want to compete with the good teams in the world, where you'll have far less possession. I'm hopeful Berhalter is bright enough to come up with a system that adjusts in both directions.

A new era...I don't expect much for the January camp, so many of the big players are in Europe now. But we'll see!

Anyone know who the third coach Stewart couldn't interview is? I presume Osorio?

Meanwhile I'm trying to get excited for MLS Cup, but that international break really killed my momentum for MLS. I'm also not sure I'm for. Hard to root for ATL with it just making Martino look better!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So Tired
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey you kids, get off my Avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
vestige wrote:
Anyone know who the third coach Stewart couldn't interview is? I presume Osorio?

We should know. The whole thing was SO transparent.

I kind of thought it was Tata? By the time the US called him, he was already Mexico bound?

Or... I kind of thought it was BS. If I'm hiring someone and want three people to interview, um, I'll give #4 a call. IIRC, he said there were five who made the "profile" cut?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So Tired
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgot to mention... I don't have a horse in the MLS Cup, but I'm pulling for Atlanta. Part of it is Jasen, part is Parkhurst, and part is the way they play and do business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper van der Meer
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Whelp, this take aged like a fine wine.

... And I'm glad it was raining last night in Atlanta, lest this whole damn railroad town would've burnt down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So Tired
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MLS Cup was a thing, right? The best part was the atmosphere... crazy.

Since I'm now a FC Cincinnati fan, I've been eagerly watching their signings and the upcoming expansion draft. They are definitely going the Minnesota route. I hope they have better results.

vestige wrote:
I don't expect much for the January camp, so many of the big players are in Europe now.

I keep thinking it's a huge advantage for the domestic players to be spending a camp with Berhalter. But... I'm probably over-thinking it. I'm just eager to move forward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So Tired
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Caleb Porter went from a shoo-in for Columbus to being very close to the Galaxy gig.

Zak Steffan will be announced for Manchester City today.

Silly season is awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So Tired
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim Parker just got a three year contract with NYRB. That's good business.

FC Cincinnati yesterday was interesting. The way head coach Alan Koch has been gushing about Darren Mattocks has me wondering if he likes him more than Adi. Ndam sounds like a good low risk pick. Lamah? Blech. Alexander? Not sure.

Getting Garza, Waston, and it looks like Ulloa? I think they might have overpaid, but... wow. I like/love all three.

My uneducated guess is that the starting XI looks like:

Adi
Lamah Albadawi Ledesma
Ulloa Alashe
Garza Waston Lasso Hoyte
Richey

Hoyte sticks out as a target for replacement. He's 34. I think age is the issue with the roster right now. They need some younger players. The USL players are all 25+. Ndam (20) is the youngest player on the roster by five years.

Ledesma was the USL MVP, and Lasso was the USL defender of the year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So Tired
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New rumors...

FCC interested in Fabian Johnson. Eh.

Almiron to Newcastle.

FCC to sign Polish GK Tyton. He's expected to be the #1, but Richey will get the chance to compete for the job.

FCC rumored to be acquiring Alvas Powell from Portland.

Ali Curtis (formerly GM of NYRB) reportedly interviewed with the Crew. Just last week the rumor was Bruce Arena.

I'll just update this post today instead of adding another one every 10 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, first, congrats to Atlanta! I missed the game, unfortunately, but it sounded like they thoroughly deserved it. Quite a two year run!

And now, the team gets broken to pieces...interesting to see if they maintain momentum next year!

"Silly season" is right. Soccer journalists seem particularly prone to rumor-mongering. 90% of what I read on ESPN FC ends up completely untrue. I think maybe I should start a soccer journalism site...with no intention of doing anything other than random postings! Ought to be just as accurate.

My attention has shifted to Americans in Europe. For whom things have been...interesting. Sargent scoring after two minutes in the Bundeliga? Awesome! McKennie randomly assigned his position each week for Schalke? The kid played striker last week for heaven's sake! Not so great. Pulisic barely getting off the bench at Dortmund? Scary - I hope he gets out of there in January. At least I think I do. Not sure Chelsea or Liverpool (much less Man U) will be any better!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So Tired
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vestige wrote:
I think maybe I should start a soccer journalism site...with no intention of doing anything other than random postings! Ought to be just as accurate.

I remember that someone had a random rumor generator and would post the results on Twitter a few years ago. It was pretty funny... and sometimes believable!

vestige wrote:
Pulisic barely getting off the bench at Dortmund? Scary - I hope he gets out of there in January. At least I think I do. Not sure Chelsea or Liverpool (much less Man U) will be any better!

Yeah. That's what can happen when you get injured. Next person up steals your job.

If he does move to the EPL, Liverpool would be my preference due to Klopp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So Tired
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 12/13 thru 12/15 batch of nonsense...

FCC reportedly interested in Tim Parker(!), Ryan Meara (GK, NYRB), CJ Sapong, and David Accam. Only Accam makes any sense to me.

FCC did sign Polish GK Tyton.

So Caleb Porter chooses Crew SC over Galaxy. Huh. Update: Not official yet. I never understand when a team hires (or might hire) a coach before they hire a technical director or general manager.

Rumor is that FCC is signing Ligue 2 RB Mathieu Deplagne. If true, I have to imagine the Alvas Powell rumors are dead?

Schelotto has officially left Boca Juniors. It's assumed that he's heading to Atlanta, but there have been rumblings. First, his style may not fit. Second, Pity Martinez - rumored to be coming to ATL as Almiron's replacement - evidently doesn't get along with Schelotto. Galaxy is another possible landing place.

Tons of moves this week, but it just feels like players are shuffling around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So Tired
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mourinho out at ManU. I think I'll start a rumor that he's Galaxy bound.

The Pulisic rumors are fantastic. He's either going to Chelsea or Liverpool. It is either a done deal or hasn't happened. The transfer will be effective in January or June (or never). Pulisic prefers Chelsea... or maybe Liverpool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's actually quite plausible that the Galaxy would consider Mourinho. He likes LA (has taken his teams here for preseason for several years), Ibrahimovic is here, and, let's face it, he's damaged goods in Europe now. A couple of years away might suit him.

Or, maybe I'm just hoping LA would get both Mourinho and Ibrahimovic to be the most entertaining soccer media market in the world!!!

I meant to post about the new playoff format - what do you all think? I am definitely in favor. The international break really killed my momentum this year. I don't really see any need to expand the field, but for single elimination games it still moves pretty quick, so I don't mind it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So Tired
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vestige wrote:
I think it's actually quite plausible that the Galaxy would consider Mourinho. He likes LA (has taken his teams here for preseason for several years), Ibrahimovic is here, and, let's face it, he's damaged goods in Europe now. A couple of years away might suit him.

Or, maybe I'm just hoping LA would get both Mourinho and Ibrahimovic to be the most entertaining soccer media market in the world!!!

LOL!

I don't watch ESPN FC very much these days, but I did catch the weekend show. They suggested he might want to go to a National team.

vestige wrote:
I meant to post about the new playoff format - what do you all think? I am definitely in favor. The international break really killed my momentum this year. I don't really see any need to expand the field, but for single elimination games it still moves pretty quick, so I don't mind it.

I'm very much in favor of it. The two-leg format was nonsense (in practice).

I think every American-based professional (and sometimes "amateur"!) playoffs lets in too many teams. So... I'm not shocked.

The league is too big now, but I really wish the Supporters' Shield would be balanced (each team playing each other team the same number of times - basically one conference). Oh, well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So Tired
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 3-way trade yesterday... Wow.

New England gets Edgar Castillo. Even though he's 32, I won't sleep on a quality LB.

Colorado gets Diego Rubio. Okay. Goalscorer who sometimes seems unbeatable and then seems completely average.

Sporting KC gets Kelyn Rowe who Friedel didn't rate. And $300k.

So Vermes gets rid of a forward that lost time to Khiry Shelton, gets a starting player, and gets $300k? Happy Holidays!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So Tired
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What's going on with Galaxy, Vestige?

The job that was so attractive that Berhalter might pick it over the USMNT can't seem to find a coach. According to reports, Kinnear first rejected a one year deal, and then the Crew outbid(!) the Galaxy for Porter.

Weird...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So Tired
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
January Camp roster announced...

U.S. ROSTER BY POSITION (Club; Caps/Goals):

GOALKEEPERS (4): Alex Bono (Toronto FC/CAN; 1/0), Sean Johnson (New York City FC; 5/0), Tyler Miller (LAFC; 0/0),
Zack Steffen (Columbus Crew SC; 6/0)

DEFENDERS (10): Reggie Cannon (FC Dallas; 2/0), Greg Garza (FC Cincinnati; 10/0), Justen Glad (Real Salt Lake; 0/0), Nick Lima (San Jose Earthquakes; 0/0), Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls; 2/0), Daniel Lovitz (Montreal Impact/CAN; 0/0), Mark McKenzie (Philadelphia Union; 0/0), Keegan Rosenberry (Colorado Rapids; 0/0), Auston Trusty (Philadelphia Union; 0/0), Walker Zimmerman (LAFC; 4/1)

MIDFIELDERS (10): Kellyn Acosta (Colorado Rapids; 23/2), Paul Arriola (D.C. United; 17/2), Corey Baird (Real Salt Lake; 0/0), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC/CAN; 142/17), Russell Canouse (D.C. United; 0/0), Marky Delgado (Toronto FC/CAN; 6/0), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy; 5/1), Djordje Mihailovic (Chicago Fire; 0/0), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders FC; 5/0), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC; 11/0)

FORWARDS (3): Jeremy Ebobisse (Portland Timbers; 0/0), Christian Ramirez (LAFC; 0/0), Gyasi Zardes (Columbus Crew SC; 40/6)

It's entirely MLS.

Surprise inclusions... Daniel Lovitz who had a very good year in Montreal. Marky Delgado... sigh. Six of the younger players are eligible for the Olympic Team.

Surprise exclusions... Tim Parker (CCL), Nagbe (CCL), Kelyn Rowe, Dom Dwyer, Villafana, Altidore (injury, CCL), Brooks Lennon... I'm assuming that - like Altidore - we'll hear about injuries at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brumcg wrote:
What's going on with Galaxy, Vestige?

The job that was so attractive that Berhalter might pick it over the USMNT can't seem to find a coach. According to reports, Kinnear first rejected a one year deal, and then the Crew outbid(!) the Galaxy for Porter.

Weird...

Well, clearly, MOURINHO!!! Those "offers" to Kinnear and Porter were just to muddy the waters while they stalk their real target.

Kind of a weird roster. I guess you work with what you have, but it's really making me feel like we aren't in good shape. I mean, Glad wasn't even starting for RSL. I'm surprised about Parker, Lennon, and Dwyer. I can explain away Rowe as needing to adjust to a new team, and Villafana for needing some time off. Parker has CCL but so does Long....

Hopefully Berhalter's meetings in Europe are going well!

Did you notice that in their last game Schalke had an all-American forward tandem (McKennie and Wright - the latter scored). And they are somehow a Champions League team! Can you imagine those two trying to score on Man City in their games in February?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So Tired
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vestige wrote:
Did you notice that in their last game Schalke had an all-American forward tandem (McKennie and Wright - the latter scored). And they are somehow a Champions League team! Can you imagine those two trying to score on Man City in their games in February?

I saw a good chunk of that game. Schalke looked pretty bad... Wright was okay but got on the score sheet. McKennie looked good - especially for someone playing out of position.

I'm still excited for the camp for some reason. If Berhalter is going to have success, he's going to have to get some of these guys to play better than the sum of their parts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brumcg wrote:
I saw a good chunk of that game. Schalke looked pretty bad... Wright was okay but got on the score sheet. McKennie looked good - especially for someone playing out of position.

I'm guessing their coach is getting fired once the holiday break hits. They've looked so disjointed after being so solid last year.

Quote:
I'm still excited for the camp for some reason. If Berhalter is going to have success, he's going to have to get some of these guys to play better than the sum of their parts.

I'm definitely interested to see what they do/what hints at organization we get. And, yeah, these people have to play a role - let's see who steps up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So Tired
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RIP Sigi. soblue

De Boer to Atlanta seems like a good fit to me. I have to think his post-Ajax jobs were an aberration.

Schelotto to LA seems a bit weird for both since it wasn't where they started, but I think it's a good enough fit. I think it's a one-year deal.

FC Cincinnati did get Alvas Powell. According to Twellman, Deplagne (the RB from France) is going to play CB. Huh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So Tired
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's official. Pulisic will be going to Chelsea in the Summer. Fingers crossed!

Edit: Raph Honigstein is reporting that this deal has been in place since "autumn." Chelsea wanted him back in the summer, but Dortmund wouldn't sell then. All sides agreed not to announce until the Winter break.

Silly season indeed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whew! Chelsea has turned it around this season, so it seems their coach is legit. (Sorry, "manager" right?) But will Pulisic break in with them? I'm not sure if I hope Hazard stays or goes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So Tired
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vestige wrote:
Whew! Chelsea has turned it around this season, so it seems their coach is legit.

Now if he would only quit chewing cigarette butts during the game. gulp

Tata to Mexico is now official. I didn't want him for the USMNT, but I sure didn't want him for Mexico either.

The latest FCC rumor is that they made an offer to Ozzie Alonso. Look, I love Ozzie, but the last thing FCC needs is a 33-year old d-mid (they already have four). I guess you never say no to a good player? Update: Within the hour after posting, it was reported that Minnesota has offered more $.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Internet rage goon
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday and today I listened to the complete run (about 4.5 hours) of the American Fiasco podcast. It''s by one of the Men In Blazer guys (which I've never watched) and chronicles the 1998 World Cup fiasco. I didn't know all that much about that one - I was living in a college dorm that summer and didn't have access to a TV, so I really didn't pay attention to it.

Really interesting and well told! Nobody comes off well - except maybe Frankie Hejduk. I was surprised by what spoiled brats many of the players were. Lalas, Harkes, Wynalda - such idiots! At least most of them seem to understand that they acted like morons.

The coach seemed out of his depth but, unlike those players, at least was trying to do the right thing.

Anyway, definitely recommended listening. Hopefully one silver lining of the most recent fiasco is to keep the players from getting too full of themselves...though with a new crop of players maybe that doesn't matter so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  12 , 13 , 14 , 15 , 16  Next »  [16] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.