Hoard of the Dragon Queen
Tech Support
Escape the Underdark
Dark Elves' Lair
The Great Pendragon Campaign
The Space Gamer (Issue 15 - Jan 1978)
Drunken Bear Fighter
Tales from the Loop: GM Screen
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
Realms of Terrinoth
Into the Jungle
RuneQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha
Forbidden Knowledge
Mutants & Marvels 1.0
Book 01: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain
Book 04: Starship Traveller
Book 05: City of Thieves
Book 01: Dungeon of Dread
Masque of the Red Death and Other Tales
Griffin Mountain
The SKETCH System Core Rulebook
Dragon (Issue 72 - Apr 1983)
Heart of Ice
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box
Dark Heresy Second Edition Core Rulebook
Fragged Empire: Core Rule Book
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Monster Manual (D&D 5e)
Dungeon Master's Guide (D&D 5e)
Blades in the Dark
Volo's Guide to Monsters
Orbital 2100
Tales from the Loop
Tales from the Loop: Map
Tomb of Annihilation
Ironsworn
Shattered: A Grimdark RPG
Mothership Player's Survival Guide
Pathfinder #136: Temple of the Peacock Spirit
Pathfinder #137: The City Outside of Time
Rangers of Shadow Deep: A Tabletop Adventure Game
Android: Shadow of the Beanstalk
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,201 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
361 Posts
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [15] | 

RPG» Forums » Community » The Tavern

Subject: MLS (Soccer) Fantasy League 2018 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce McGeorge
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey you kids, get off my Avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
If I have Maxi Moralez in my lineup, be sure he isn't in yours. Vice versa, of course.

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McGeorge
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monday... gulp

Points User Name
314 vestige
289 littlechandler
267 brumcg
244 sanmcg
217 jaspermeer
198 enoch777
194 thomashbeach

Vestige had the best week with 89 points.

USMNT plays tomorrow Tuesday night!

Be careful... there's a Friday night game this week (Toronto v RSL). Every team is in action except for FC Dallas.

Good luck! I won't be going with Maxi Moralez this week, so be sure to roster him!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper van der Meer
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Ok, I think I've grokked this. I'mma try to finish fourth out of this field.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McGeorge
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a bit of advice that I haven't been using.

If you stick a field player with a very low cost who you know is not playing this week, the highest scoring player on your bench (that would result in a valid formation) will auto-sub into your lineup.

Personally, I hate this being part of the rules, but there's no reason not to use it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Always in season
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brumcg wrote:
Zlatan. Discuss.

Yes! It's going to be great!

In general I think it's good that MLS has moved away from being a retirement league. But there are exceptions - Villa has been fantastic, and Zlatan is Zlatan. Hooray!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Always in season
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brumcg wrote:
Here's a bit of advice that I haven't been using.

If you stick a field player with a very low cost who you know is not playing this week, the highest scoring player on your bench (that would result in a valid formation) will auto-sub into your lineup.

Yeah, I've been doing this. Choose one or two players who have bye weeks and are priced at $4M. Then fill your bench with players who may or may not have good games, usually at moderate prices. The top two of the three will get auto-subbed in. It seems like a good strategy if you are fishing for clean sheets on defense.

Quote:
Personally, I hate this being part of the rules, but there's no reason not to use it.

It's really dumb. The "keeperoo" is even dumber: make your starting goalie someone who definitely won't play (and is cheap). Your sub is someone who you think should do well and plays in an early game. If they get a bunch of points, you don't touch anything. If they do poorly, you trade out your "starter" for a keeper who is going to play later in the round.

I did this on Saturday: I had Kempin on the bench. When he didn't get many points, I traded out my "starter" for Marinovic, who played the last game. Fortunately, he did great.

The rules are dumb, because they reward people who are able to watch their phones all weekend instead of doing research and thinking ahead. But they are the rules...and when I can watch my phone I figure I might as well take advantage of them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McGeorge
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vestige wrote:
"keeperoo"

Oh, wow. I haven't thought about that.

I've always felt like these things are bugs/exploits, but they've baked it into things now. A feature, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McGeorge
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone have any wishes for the USMNT tomorrow?

With Sarachan still interim (he was recently extended through June), it's really all pointless until the General Manager is hired. At least I'll be able to watch without stress.

I hope Kenny Saief gets a good run. I liked what I saw from him in his one appearance. I'm also very curious about Novakovich.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McGeorge
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool.

I have two takeaways from the USMNT v Paraguay game.

1 Tyler Adams should always be in the lineup. I mean even when he's 45.

2 Dave Sarachan doesn't understand what his job is. I predicted 10 out of the 11 starters (missed on Delgado - I had Roldan). That's not a good thing. Three subs? Bizarre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Always in season
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked a lot about this game:
d10-1 The intensity of the US players. This didn't look like a friendly to me! I liked how the team rallied around Delgado when he went down (should have been a red card there).
d10-2 The central midfield was great - Adams, Delgado, and Trapp all looked really active. Trapp really seemed like a captain as well.
d10-3 Defense seemed solid. Miazga had one bad giveaway, and Paraguay had some
d10-4 Saief was nice! It was good to see someone willing to try to be creative.
d10-5 From the media and articles, it seems like the team really came together over this week. That's an important first step - even if the coach changes, I think we need a core group of players excited about the experience, and this seems like a step in the right direction.
d10-6 I don't think I've heard a game called by Meola before, or if so I didn't know it was Meola. He was not bad!

I didn't like:
d10-1 The subs! Why didn't we get more players on the field?!?
d10-2 Wood lacked something. He seemed to be in good places but his first touch failed him. I'm glad he got the goal, hopefully that puts him back on the right track?
d10-3 No creativity! Just take it down the wing and loft in a cross.... They need to find someone besides Pulisic who can contribute.
d10-4 Still no one to take those free kicks!
d10-5 Why was Paraguay so chippy? And why didn't the ref step in earlier?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McGeorge
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vestige wrote:
d10-3 No creativity! Just take it down the wing and loft in a cross.... They need to find someone besides Pulisic who can contribute.
d10-4 Still no one to take those free kicks!

When we have a GM and coach, I think decision #1 is to decide if they are going to use Pulisic as a 10. (Yes, please.) Decision #1.a is to identify his replacements and then use them when Pulisic isn't available.

Oh, and yeah... let's cross in those balls with one of the shortest lineups I've seen the US ever play.

Set pieces are really bugging me. I like me some Wil Trapp, but I'm not happy when he takes corners for the Crew! USMNT history is predicated on working harder than the opposition and dominating set pieces; I haven't seen that in a long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McGeorge
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A friendly Fantasy reminder...

Keep an eye on your International players. While everyone should be back and ready for the weekend, it's not uncommon for some players to sit due to the travel or maybe picking up a knock. The earlier the game, the more it comes into play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Always in season
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZLATAN! That was pretty amazing. The first goal was fantastic; I think he was actually a shade offsides on the second (hello, VAR?), but the man has some skills!

That was quite a show for an MLS game on Fox - I hope it got some people interested in the game! It was far better than the Bayern-BVB game on before it. yuk

Also, I was home all day but didn't bother to check starting lineups for many of the games. Doh! Just too much going on in the kitchen...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McGeorge
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vestige wrote:
ZLATAN! That was pretty amazing. The first goal was fantastic; I think he was actually a shade offsides on the second (hello, VAR?), but the man has some skills!

That was quite a show for an MLS game on Fox - I hope it got some people interested in the game! It was far better than the Bayern-BVB game on before it. yuk

Also, I was home all day but didn't bother to check starting lineups for many of the games. Doh! Just too much going on in the kitchen...

The Zlatan debut was amazing. I was really concerned they weren't going to sub him in when they were down 0-3. And you're right, what a great game for Fox. Welcome to MLZ!

I did pretty good on the starting lineups this weekend - the couple I missed didn't have any effect - but my wife was caught up in Captain Villa's late scratch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McGeorge
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MLZ FantaZy thiZ week:

Points User Name
381 vestige
363 littlechandler
361 brumcg
307 sanmcg
284 jaspermeer
263 thomashbeach
241 enoch777

I had the best week with 94 points keeping with my wildly inconsistent 2018.

sauron WARNING!!! WARNING!!! WARNING!!! sauron

There is currently an error on the schedule within Fantasy. Week 6 goes from Friday 4/6 through Sunday 4/8. There are currently two games listed with dates of 6/13 (NYRB, Toronto, DC, Houston). I'm guessing those were games rescheduled due to CCL matches... Don't pick players from those teams. Right now, you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McGeorge
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McGeorge
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Wow. So USSF wanted to replace Klinsi with Arena before the Hex, but Gulati didn't want to make the move without Dan Flynn who underwent a heart transplant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Always in season
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hrrmph. I'm not sure Arena would have actually done any better than Klinsi...I just don't see this team beating Mexico, or beating Costa Rica in Costa Rica. Kind of an indictment of the US Soccer leadership in any case though (not that we needed another!). Make a decision and stick to it!

CONCACAF Champions League is intriguing. Toronto seems to be in control - though far from having it locked up - with a 3-1 lead. And I think NYRB will take a 1-0 loss in Guadalajara. Next week is going to be very interesting! I will admit I REALLY want MLS to do well in this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McGeorge
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vestige wrote:
Hrrmph. I'm not sure Arena would have actually done any better than Klinsi...

Agreed. Like you, I was mostly dismayed about the decision making.

vestige wrote:
CONCACAF Champions League is intriguing.

I missed both games, but I'll definitely take those results! Fingers crossed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Always in season
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm thinking LAFC needs to work a bit on maintaining focus in the last 20 minutes of games....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper van der Meer
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vestige wrote:
So I'm thinking LAFC needs to work a bit on maintaining focus in the last 20 minutes of games....

As an ATL fan, I was pleased with LAFC's performance. Particularly because I reaped 40pts. from Capping Almirón. Here's hoping Portland and the L.A. Galaxy do well today. This might be my best week yet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McGeorge
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vestige wrote:

It got bad, but the VAR PK call against Zimmerman appeared to be wrong. I certainly wouldn't have overruled the on-field ruling. *Shrug*

I'm just miffed that my captain - Josef Martinez - was pulled before he could get his hat trick! (Well done Jasen.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper van der Meer
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brumcg wrote:
vestige wrote:

It got bad, but the VAR PK call against Zimmerman appeared to be wrong. I certainly wouldn't have overruled the on-field ruling. *Shrug*

I'm just miffed that my captain - Josef Martinez - was pulled before he could get his hat trick! (Well done Jasen.)

Ack, rough break Bruce! But you're the only reason I'm participating in my first fantasy sports league ever!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper van der Meer
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Portland just choked. Grrrr.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McGeorge
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jaspermeer wrote:

Portland just choked. Grrrr.

The West is a mess!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [15] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.