True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Teoro made a great point in the geeklist when he said that the Chain of Generosity geeklists have formed a community over the years. So let's get a discussion thread going. To start things off, what kind of RPGs do you play?

I play OSR RPGs exclusively now though I used to play others and I'm not opposed to playing non-OSR RPGs. They just need to be really special for me to use a non-OSR system.

What about you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Right now, I GM a heavily modified version of Shadowrun: Anarchy - Alternate Ruleset. I also play in a game Old School Reference and Index Compilation (OSRIC) v2.x, although we do rely heavily on AD&D supplements to add material not found in the OSRIC book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Pennisi
United States
Lawrenceville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great question quozi but what I really like to know is what do people want for offerings?

I see it time and time again people having to switch out offerings or continually add to get people to go in. When all else fails it's usually resolved by a gift certificate to Drivethru or another online retailer. What are people looking for? Are your Want in Trade and Wishlist up to date?

And not to ignore the quozi question I play early versions of D&D, AD&D and OSR derivatives, horror games like Call of Cthulhu, super hero games, and space themed rpgs. But I'm a sucker for odd rpgs from the 70 & 80s. The weirder the better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Not enough" is my default answer right now, I haven't played in months.

Normally I enjoy Fate as my go-to, quickly followed by Genesys Star Wars and Apocalypse engine games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DadsAngry wrote:
Great question quozl but what I really like to know is what do people want for offerings?

I was hoping the answer to your question and mine would be similar. As for me, I don't really know what I want. I already have more than what I use, However, if it's OSR and I don't have it and it looks cool, I might.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gen Con is rebooting.
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey you kids, get off my Avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing: Dungeons & Dragons (5th Edition)

That's it. I don't really consider myself to be a D&D person, but it's the group preference. I do enjoy it... don't get me wrong. If the DM doesn't have D&D ready, we're currently defaulting to board games. This Saturday it will be Gloomhaven.

There's a small possibility that Symbaroum could get a trial soon.

I'm currently researching The One Ring and Robert E. Howard's Conan: Adventures in an Age Undreamed Of. I haven't run anything in close to three years, but I might be ready to try again. We'll see.

What would I like to see in the Chain? I'd go "in" on anything One Ring related. Other than that, I'm not sure. I recently went "in" on 13th Age but was glad I didn't win. I guess that proves I'm subject to whim.

Like other people in the chain - I think - I'm a hard sell right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am currently playing in a weekly AD&D 1e game. We are playing the module UK2: The Sentinel. I started as a 5th-level dwarven thief, who died due to failing a poison save. I was trying to extract venom from a dead cobra. The DM called for a save to see if I accidentally poisoned myself. I failed, and in 1e all natural poisons are fatal. I had a minor issue with the DM's ruling on that -- savings throws aren't skill checks. But, it wasn't that big of a deal. The game has been full of lots of old-school shenanigans:

The fighter finding a Bag of Holding and deciding to keep it in his codpiece, creating the appearance of constantly reaching into his pants and pulling greatswords (etc.) from his crotch.

Hiring multiple NPCs and drilling them on formations for proper dungeon delving and wilderness exploration. Many of them have died heroically.

A crazy amount of moral arguing and non-murderhoboing.

-----

I am running a monthly Dungeon World game for some RPG n00bs I work with. We did a shared-world creation, which they'd never seen nor heard of. Blew their minds.

I've had my issues with DW in the past -- mostly because it's so rules-light and I tend to like crunchier games. But as a side game to my main one, it's working really well. The lightness and low-prep mean it doesn't take much out-of-game time at all.

-----

For Stephen's question of what people want -- for me, not much. I am trying real hard to only have things I have a good chance of getting to the table. So I don't go in on things just to have them. A corollary is that my formerly-sprawling collection has been pared down so much over the last few years that even if I were to win, I have little I want to get rid of to continue the chain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Followup question:

Is it a violation of the spirit of the CoG to sell something you've won?

I have done this sometimes, rather than read and return to the chain.

Should I be tarred and feathered? Or, once having won, is the item mine to do with what I wish?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver S
United States
Stafford Springs
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently playing Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game (I'm running Dungeon Crawl Classics 2016 Holiday Module: Twilight of the Solstice, complete with scratch-off characters - it's been a blast). I think that probably has one more session in it, after which I'll be running Dungeons & Dragons (5th Edition) for the same group. Going for kind of a weird/pulp/acid fantasy vibe, but we'll see how it comes off.

I also semi-regularly play one-shot games like Fiasco, The Quiet Year, etc., and I'm prepping to play Cthulhu Confidential with a friend.

As for what I want...I'm always looking for indie games or OSR-friendly supplements. I need to sift through my stuff and see what else I can put in the pile for the Chains, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Williams
United States
Maple Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am currently running Starfinder. I have several games of D&D 5e paused and I am about to start up an Adventures in Middle Earth game. Personally I love RPGs, I don't care what I play as long as I get to play. Been DMing for 25 years running.

The only exception to that has been some of the stuff Fantasy Flight came out with. The End of the World series didn't run well and the Star Wars system was not great. It wasn't terrible but it wasn't good either. I sold both books as soon as I tried running them. Which sucks for me because I bought all of the Star Wars core books, several dice sets, the screen, etc. lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gen Con is rebooting.
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dysjunct wrote:

Hoping the answer is "no" since I suspect that I've done this. My memory isn't great, I often don't remember how I acquired something: Math Trade, Chain, impulse buy, etc...

That said, I think it's probably bad form if you acquire something for the sole purpose of selling it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Williams
United States
Maple Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brumcg wrote:
dysjunct wrote:

Hoping the answer is "no" since I suspect that I've done this. My memory isn't great, I often don't remember how I acquired something: Math Trade, Chain, impulse buy, etc...

That said, I think it's probably bad form if you acquire something for the sole purpose of selling it.

I think the latter is the only real taboo, the rest is not that big of a deal. At 300+ books I often don't remember where I got what or when either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emperors Grace
United States
Rexford
New York
flag msg tools
Hello!
badge
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;The old that is strong does not wither,Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
mbmbmbmbmb
I GM Star Frontiers and Gamma World (1st) currently but I'm hoping to drag out AD+D 2nd again soon for my son.

I like to read/play mainly SciFi/SciFantasy and occasionally some Pulp/Spy or High Fantasy. I read far more than I play due to lack of a good local group.

I recently picked up FrontierSpace, Fear Agent (Savage Worlds), and some old TS/SI books. I'm in on the new Top Secret and the Princess Bride Kickstarters.

I generally put in for anything that completes an old collection (like the TS/SI) or that makes me go, hey that's cool (like the Amazing Adventures offer).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gen Con is rebooting.
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brumcg wrote:

Although... if someone needs the cash and it's worth going through the hassle of listing something else and sending it out to gain the profit... who am I to judge?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emperors Grace
United States
Rexford
New York
flag msg tools
Hello!
badge
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;The old that is strong does not wither,Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
mbmbmbmbmb
You'd probably get a better rate going directly to market with some of this older stuff in any case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
dysjunct wrote:

Should I be tarred and feathered? Or, once having won, is the item mine to do with what I wish?

Yes to both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
The grace of Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting ready to try D&D 5e - last played Mutant Chronicles and Dungeon Crawl Classic.

I've been around the RPG Generosity list from the beginning (I think!) and have had nothing but great experiences with it. I've received some great games and hopefully given away some great games in return.

I don't believe I have sold anything I have received from the list but one thing I am hesitant to do - and it's probably just me - is offer an item I received from the list if I can help it.

I know - after all these years - I probably have done so, but I like to keep the items fresh and one way to keep from recycling old games is to try to offer something different. Just something I'm cognizant of and nothing I would expect others to do but -Lord knows - I have the games to spare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
DadsAngry wrote:

I see it time and time again people having to switch out offerings or continually add to get people to go in. When all else fails it's usually resolved by a gift certificate to Drivethru or another online retailer. What are people looking for? Are your Want in Trade and Wishlist up to date?

One thing I've noticed is that what people are interested in changes over time. There have been times I've offered up something only to have to replace it after lack of interest. A few months later, I offer up the same item that didn't get taken and I have a couple people go in for it.

I think getting the word out about the chain will help. And quozl's discussion thread is a great way to do that because it's a forum posting, not a trade geeklist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
I hide behind the pile of dead bards...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm running D&D 5e every other weekend - honestly I am getting a bit tired of it. I would rather be running Basic Dungeons & Dragons.

I am also trying to run a pbf of Traveller (Mongoose 2nd Edition) but some things changed at work and I am having a hard time making it to RPGG until late in the evening when I am mentally fatigued and don't feel lucid enough to make a coherent post. As a result the game is barely limping along.

The same has happened to my 4e D&D game, but I am afraid that one is dead rather than still limping along like my Trav game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Unwin
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
I continue to run 4th Edition D&D exclusively. I'm open to other stuff, but when I step outside the structure of D&D characters and scenarios tend to get loonier than I like.

Right now I have PBF 2 games going on two different sites. I'd like to get another one going, actually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Hudak
United States
North Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I mostly play Call of Cthulhu (7th Edition), but have tons of other games that I'd like to actually play or run like Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game, Hollow Earth Expedition, and Tales from the Loop. I run a monthly CoC game at a gaming cafe, and will sometimes jump into online games.

As for what I look for in the chain, it depends on my mood. If its something I'm interested in, I'll jump in for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Saxon
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, right now I'm kinda in a drought for gaming. I pop into the local shop for Starfinder OP, but the only issue is that I need to wake up at 4 in the morning for work so those games are taxing.

In regards to selling, go for it. I throw stuff up I no longer have an interest in or want rid of. What you do with it, do it.

In regards to what I look for, whatever strikes my fancy. 40k, nuWhite Wolf, LotFP, 3.5, Pathfinder, nuDelta Green, and Shadowrun 5e are my big targets right now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer older RPG items from my formative years, but anything that looks worthwhile or has lots of favorable reviews I will go for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haverty
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
My group hadn't played an RPG in several years so one of us declared we would start playing Friday nights via roll20.net and Google Hangouts.

He's running a 5E scenario for us and we got several weeks in a row done. Then some life intervened and he had to back out of GMing for a while so I ran Gunslingers and Gamblers as a quickie one night and we liked it. I expect one or the other will resume soon.

As has happened with my general boardgame collection and narrower sub-genres (CCGs, wargames, solo games), my RPG collection is pretty well curated at this point. I've been seeing some stuff I hadn't heard of catch my eye on the list lately but otherwise I'm not looking for much in particular.

I'm actually edging toward downsizing. I'm never going to get the majority of these played so I might be slowly letting some of them go back to the list, maybe just keep the ones I played or coveted the most in my youth (1E and 2E, Rolemaster) or various modern ones like Dragon Age and 13th Age.

I've also found my collector's addiction to "series" bit me just as hard in RPGs as in wargames. For example, I think I own five! games that use the Apocalypse World Engine... but I still haven't played any of them. The more time goes by the more I doubt it's up my group's alley...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kailey O
United States
ASHLAND
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just started playing RPGs and am trying out a variety of things to see what we like best. I play with my husband and daughter (my son will hopefully join us in a few years). I'm also in a PBF game here on BGG and I hope to participate in more PBF games I the future. Right now I am playing Woodland Warriors with my family. We're looking forward to playing Epyllion whenever that arrives. I'm also planning to buy a bunch of the Hero Kids stuff to play with them.

As to what I am looking for on the list, anything that is a good family RPG, beginner/complete box sets (or just an assortment of things that make up everything needed to play a game) that look interesting to us, or 2 player things to play with my husband. We like a wide variety of themes (fantasy, steam punk, sci fi, Discworld, Firefly, and much much more) but nothing violent or horror related.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |