Esper Genesis Core Manual
Kids on Bikes
F.A.T.A.L.
Fate Core System
Princes of the Apocalypse
Blades in the Dark
HEX: Health Endurance XP
Mothership Player's Survival Guide
Dungeons & Dragons Basic Set (Second Edition)
It Came from the Late, Late, Late Show (with Adventures)
Apocalypse World
Book 1: The Legion of Shadow
Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game
Rappan Athuk (Pathfinder Version)
Everything is Dolphins
Hulks & Horrors
KULT: Divinity Lost
Starfinder Core Rulebook
Spores of the Sad Shroom
Vampire: The Masquerade 5th Edition Core Book
The Witcher
She Bleeds
On Sheepskin Like Clouds
Ariadna
Segment: Sho-Caudal "Timelines"
MCC #009: Evil of the Ancients
The Enemy Within Campaign Volume 1: Shadows Over Bögenhafen
Dogs in the Vineyard
A Song of Ice and Fire Roleplaying
Arabian Adventures
Universe (2nd Edition)
The Sorcery Spell Book
Ancient Odysseys: Treasure Awaits!
Dungeon World Roleplaying Game
Primeval Thule Campaign Setting (13th Age)
Curse of Strahd
Tomb of Annihilation
Babbage's Engine
The Fantasy Trip: Legacy Edition
Uprising: The Dystopian Universe
Infinity the Roleplaying Game Gamemaster's Guide
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
1 Posts

Dusk City Outlaws» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tormod Digre
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Firstly; I´m a role-player through 25+ years. Mostly I´ve played D&D, Call of Cthulhu, Deadlands, Numenera and a smattering of other systems with a firm and fast group of friends.

I got hooked on the kickstarter of Dusk City Outlaws (DCO) with the promise of ease of use and elements from both Role-Playing Games (RPG) and boardgames. Through the kickstarter I got introduced to the different concepts of the game - and really liked watching the playthroughs on video. I can recommend this one for a good intro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqNmh7XfG5o.

After a couple of jobs (adventures) I can say that the game delivers. It merges the ease of boardgames (15 min prep time) with an intensity of role-playing and creativity that is partly absent in more rules-intensive games. I could go into the details of the rules here, but that defeats the true purpose of this review. I can say, however, that the rules are well thought out and melds perfectly with the heist genre.

Dusk City Outlaws shine a light into a new way of thinking RPG´s which is deeply fascinating: They don´t need to be complicated, as long as they are focused. DCO sets the stage by limiting the role-playing to one enormous, relatively undefined city and gives the players roles as criminals that adhere to rules set by a council of cartels. This limitation would stifle most of the big games out there, but DCO thrives within these limits.

The props are magnificent. They are meticulously stacked in the box and are all of high quality which I think will stand the test of many jobs.

This game is one of the great ones. I guess RPG purists would hammer the game for every conceivable wrong reason. But when the chips fall and dice settle this game is about giving a wonderful frame for collective storytelling of the best heists you´ll ever participate in.

Buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.