Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
dumarest123 wrote:
yup very Banks-inspired

I had to have Gravitas on a couple of the tables. It was a nice running gag with the ship names throughout the Culture, and it wouldn't be a Banks-inspired generator without it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed! Proud owner of every Iain M. Banks novel there is and I can well see the amount of work you put into that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. J. Hastings
United States
Shelton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ThroughTheDeckGlass wrote:
He has an everfull 'quiver of many things'.

Quiver of Many Things

Roll 1d20:

1. Slow Arrow: A magic arrow that moves extremely slowly through the air. It can't be deflected or stopped. However, it doesn't reach the target until your next combat round. Very effective if you can get your enemy to hold still until it arrives.

2. Beacon Arrow: Sticks into a creature without doing noticible damage. All spells cast by anyone in the vicinity now target that creature, regardless of what the caster intended.

3. Quill Arrow: Fletched with goose feathers and tipped with a pen nib. It does exatly one point of damage more than the highest amount of damage done by a sword in the current encounter.

4. Fire Arrow: It's on fire. The entire arrow. Burns you when you fire it, but if it hits it sets the target on fire.

5. Ice Arrow: An arrow made of ice. It does cold damage, but it is melting rapidly, so subtract 1 from the damage roll for every 10 feet the arrow travels.

6. Silver Arrow: Range is reduced by 25%, but it's worth it because of how cool it makes you look.

7. Healing Arrow: Does regular damage when it hits, but then heals the target for half that amount at the start of each of the target's subsequent turns.

8. Sparkly Arrow: Leaves a trail of sparkles as it flies, giving other archers a bonus to hit either you or your target.

9. Seeking Arrow: Automatically seeks out the nearest invisible creature, whether friend or foe. If there are no invisible creatures in the vicinity, you watch the arrow fly out of sight and hope there's not a powerful invisible wizard in the next county over.

10. Headless Arrow: Has feathers on both ends. If it hits, it tickles the target, causing it to drop everything and fall prone with laughter.

11. Screaming Arrow: Wails as it flies. Potentially demoralizing and impossible to ignore.

12. Robin Hood Arrow: Automatically targets another arrow, splitting it in half before entering the target. Effectiveness depends on whether previous arrows are mainly sticking out of enemies or out of trees.

13. Cupid's Arrow: If it hits, the target falls hopelessly in love with whoever he or she is currently looking at. Still does regular damage.

14. Infinity Arrow: Has unlimited range. If it misses and there are no obstructions, it will continue to fly out of sight over the horizon until it eventually hits something. The only kind of arrow that's safe to shoot straight up.

15. Boomerang Arrow: If it misses the target, it circles back and tries to hit you. If it misses you, it circles back to the target, and keeps going back and forth until it finally hits someone.

16. Touchy Explosive Arrow: Explodes in a massive fireball either when it hits the target or when fired (if you fail your "don't joggle the explosives" roll).

17. Beehive Arrow: An arrow with a small beehive on the end. When it hits, the hive breaks open and releases 1d6 bees, who continually attack the nearest creature until they are killed or winter comes.

18. Grappling Arrow: Attaches to the target, and then retracts a cable running from the arrow to your belt. Pulls you to the target, or the target to you, depending on who is bigger.

19. Double Arrow: You accidentally pull two arrows out of the quiver, so you go ahead and fire them both. One hits (or misses) your target as normal; the other flies off at a wild angle and hits a random creature in the knee.

20. Illusionary Arrow: Not an actual arrow, but it looks and feels like one and does regular damage if the target is fooled by the illusion. Of course, you'll only be able to shoot it if you're fooled by the illusion yourself.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
DJHastings wrote:
1. Slow Arrow: A magic arrow that moves extremely slowly through the air. It can't be deflected or stopped. However, it doesn't reach the target until your next combat round. Very effective if you can get your enemy to hold still until it arrives.

It's the old Jamie Moyer changeup!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
No boxing glove arrow. /pout
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
And so this challenge comes to an end!

Thank you all for participating! I'll be divvying out the geekgold today and I'll hopefully get a pdf made up of these within a couple of months, rather than the 12 it took me last time! (I have templates set up now... so in theory it should be faster!)

Thanks again for all who participated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lawing
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for running it! This was a blast to read and I look forward to using a lot of these tables!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lawingm wrote:
Thanks for running it! This was a blast to read and I look forward to using a lot of these tables!

I still use tables from the 2017 and 2016 challenges - they are so useful! I find I can never have too many random tables!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I either didn't have enough time or enough inspiration (more likely the latter). So I'm a bit bummed that I didn't have anything worthy to contribute this time.

edit: oh, I forgot I did the time travel one. But I still didn't do a table I would have much use for.
Maybe time to start planning for next year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

It will be back next year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, everyone who participated should have 12 shiny geekgold!

If anyone who participated didn't get any, let me know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BFL's going down (under)
Australia
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, for the GG and for running the challenge!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for participating!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Rees
South Korea
Daegu
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot

Is it possible to make a few revisions to my chart?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vialick wrote:
Thanks a lot

Is it possible to make a few revisions to my chart?

Sure! I won't have time to start making it into a pdf until later this month, and even then I probably won't really have time to delve into it until November - so feel free to edit away!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Can we/I amend this to a d6?

Timmy joins the party and gets fragged:
Azukail wrote:
ThroughTheDeckGlass wrote:

1, You encounter a plain room with a desk. Mr. Johnson, who strangely cast bat winged shadows, has 2 metal skulled troll enforcers flanking him. He says he's heard of your current circumstances and insist that you accept an additional party member who will be reporting back to him later.

2, A nun tumbles into your room pointing a crossbow at everyone. Her eyes betray a lack of sanity, and something is writhing under her robes. She insist however that you are about to face forces beyond your comprehension, and that she needs to join you in order to 'save the world'.

3, An ever burning torch lights up the orifices of a magic mouth. "Friend" insist that he knows all and that you will soon need the services of "Timmy 9" who has been given use of a sword of wonder.

4, A great and impressive wizard appears prophesying doom unless you accept the elf Legless, who rides a 1 man magic carpet and is indeed legless. "Legless is a renowned archer who mumble mumble..." He has an everfull 'quiver of many things'. By the way, he'd like to visit a particular volcano sometime.

5. A growth appears on the shoulder of a character. When examined, it is an eye that blinks. The growth rapidly increases in size, turning into a full sized duplicate of the character, who rips themself free.

6. Timmy 'The Hood' shows up in the next room/area and insist on always wearing a helmet/mask. That one time someone took off the helmet/mask, there was a helmet/mask underneath it. Timmy is otherwise unremarkable, and yet that helmet/mask nags at you.

Aside: my intention behind quiver of many things was to replicate the Deck of Many Things, with a random draw per arrow, which should be enough to TPK. But, I like the other random list of the quiver of many things, though I do think that a 'green arrow' could grant temporary martial arts skills. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
Portugal
flag msg tools
designer
Check my profile to learn more about these...
badge
I'm thinking of something intelligent to say... this may take a while!
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
And so this challenge comes to an end!

Thank you all for participating! I'll be divvying out the geekgold today and I'll hopefully get a pdf made up of these within a couple of months, rather than the 12 it took me last time! (I have templates set up now... so in theory it should be faster!)

Thanks again for all who participated!

Darn, late again!

cry cry

I don't even need a random table to have this happening to me everytime...

blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas (he/him)
Germany
Bovenden
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
admin
designer
so many plans...
badge
irregular guest for a couple of days - mostly offline
mb
Thanks for a fun challenge!

I had about a quarter or third done for random books/document types but didn't get round to finish it. Hopefully I'll remember (and find the file) when the next random table challenge comes around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pfrsantos wrote:
Darn, late again!

cry cry

blush

Aw... some year you'll make it!

jasri wrote:

I had about a quarter or third done for random books/document types but didn't get round to finish it. Hopefully I'll remember (and find the file) when the next random table challenge comes around.

You're welcome!

Yeah, this year saw less entries than last year - but I had to end it when I did, since I'll be going on vacation soon and wanted to hand out the rewards before I got too busy.

I hope you remember the file for next time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
Portugal
flag msg tools
designer
Check my profile to learn more about these...
badge
I'm thinking of something intelligent to say... this may take a while!
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
pfrsantos wrote:
Darn, late again!

cry cry

blush

Aw... some year you'll make it!

jasri wrote:

You're welcome!

Yeah, this year saw less entries than last year - but I had to end it when I did, since I'll be going on vacation soon and wanted to hand out the rewards before I got too busy.

I hope you remember the file for next time!

Well, I never! I must say, I find it awfully rude of you, ending this contest so soon, just because you're going on a vacation! Really, a vacation?! That shows no regard for anyone who only now finds this thread! I think it's quite selfish of you, to end the contest instead of postponing your vacation until everyone has the chance to enter!

So there!

Spoiler (click to reveal)

J/K, of course! There'll be plenty of opportunities to enter plenty of contests! Enjoy your vacation!

coollaughmeeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've already pushed taking a vacation back twice this year, any longer and it will be next year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Like Carrie isn't going to spend her vacation gaming and designing games anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robbbbbb wrote:
Like Carrie isn't going to spend her vacation gaming and designing games anyway.

I'm not! I won't even have a computer or internet access where I'm going.

I'll be visiting petroglyphs, sites of historic and/or geologic significance, collecting fossils, and possibly rockhounding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Azukail Games
msg tools
designer
publisher
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
robbbbbb wrote:

I'm not! I won't even have a computer or internet access where I'm going.

I'll be visiting petroglyphs, sites of historic and/or geologic significance, collecting fossils, and possibly rockhounding.

Or, as I would call it, research for Call of Cthulhu ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.