Hoard of the Dragon Queen
Tech Support
Escape the Underdark
Dark Elves' Lair
The Great Pendragon Campaign
The Space Gamer (Issue 15 - Jan 1978)
Drunken Bear Fighter
Tales from the Loop: GM Screen
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
Realms of Terrinoth
Into the Jungle
RuneQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha
Forbidden Knowledge
Mutants & Marvels 1.0
Book 01: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain
Book 04: Starship Traveller
Book 05: City of Thieves
Book 01: Dungeon of Dread
Masque of the Red Death and Other Tales
Griffin Mountain
The SKETCH System Core Rulebook
Dragon (Issue 72 - Apr 1983)
Heart of Ice
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box
Dark Heresy Second Edition Core Rulebook
Fragged Empire: Core Rule Book
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Monster Manual (D&D 5e)
Dungeon Master's Guide (D&D 5e)
Blades in the Dark
Volo's Guide to Monsters
Orbital 2100
Tales from the Loop
Tales from the Loop: Map
Tomb of Annihilation
Ironsworn
Shattered: A Grimdark RPG
Mothership Player's Survival Guide
Pathfinder #136: Temple of the Peacock Spirit
Pathfinder #137: The City Outside of Time
Rangers of Shadow Deep: A Tabletop Adventure Game
Android: Shadow of the Beanstalk
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,203 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
136 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 

RPG» Forums » Site Related » RPGGeek News

Subject: Announcing the 2018 24 Hour RPG Contest rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: 24-hour_rpg [+] RPGG_design_contest [+] [View All]
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
meeple Announcing the 2018 RPG Geek 24-Hour RPG Contest! meeple

I've run this contest the last two years. No one's asked me about it, but my reminder went off saying, "Hey Robb, why don't you put up a thread for the 2018 24 hour RPG contest?"

That's a good idea, Outlook. Let's do that.

It's that time of year: time for a 24-hour RPG contest! As in previous years, we'll follow the traditional format (details below if you've not heard of this sort of thing before). For those that enjoy creative constraints or thematic challenges, there is an optional random theme generator.

There will be fabulous prizes for the four best entries, as voted for by the users! All entries will be added to the RPG Geek database, preserved for all time!

Pass the word around the site. Go forth and spread the word of 24 hour RPGs, that we may have many interesting entries.

What's it all about?

The challenge is to design and produce a complete role-playing game in a single continuous 24 hour block of time. This is a strict time limit. As soon as you start, you have exactly 24 hours to do your work, and at the end of that time it's done and you should submit it.

There must be no advance preparation work. All of the work (designing a system, a setting, creating fiction, artwork, typesetting) must be done within the 24 hour block of time.

It must be original work. Don't use anything you've worked on previously. And definitely don't use anyone else's work (which means you'll have to think up of your own system).

It must be all your own work. You must not get any help (whether that be design, editing, production, or artwork) from someone else. The sole exceptions to this are:
that you can use public domain / Creative Commons art for your document
that you can include a small amount of public domain / Creative Commons text for mood setting only (any quoted text must be properly attributed, and must not be a substantial portion of the entry's text)
and that you may include this logo if you so desire (click on the image for higher resolutions):

By entering the contest, you consent to having your work loaded onto RPG Geek as a downloadable file. The preferred file format is PDF, but if you have other more creative ideas then that's probably fine too. If you can't create PDFs, send your document as is to robbbbbb and he'll convert it for you.

Optional Random Theme Generator

Many people find it more interesting to work under an additional thematic constraint; often this helps spark creativity, or to give you direction in which to initialise your thinking.

The tables below are optional. Use them as you like. You may want to roll once on each, or to pick from one and roll on another. Perhaps you might roll multiple times on a table, or not at all. You may indeed roll and decide you don't like what you get and discard it or re-roll. It's all up to you.

I've deliberately kept the entries rather vague so that they may be interpreted in multiple different ways. For example Craftsmen / Illumination / 19th Century may inspire you to write about steampunk inventors in the Wild West, Victorian wizards seeking arcane knowledge through esoteric means, or samurai achieving illumination through swordplay in the Tokugawa shogunate.

d20
Focus
Animals
Artists
Businessmen
Children
Craftsmen
Criminals
Families
Leaders
Objects
Outcasts
Places
Rulers
Scholars
Servants
Soldiers
Strangers
The Dead
The Religious
Travellers
Visionaries
Theme
Absolution
Apotheosis
Desire
Despair
Disaster
Duty
Faith
Glory
Greed
Hate
Honour
Hope
Illumination
Loss
Love
Madness
Power
Revenge
Terror
Wrath
Period
Weird
Fantastic
Mythic
Stone Age
Bronze Age
Iron Age
Classical
5th - 10th Century
11th - 13th Century
14th - 15th Century
16th - 17th Century
18th Century
19th Century
1st half of 20th Century
2nd half of 20th Century
Present
Near Future
Far Future
Extreme Future
Time-Travelling

Why would I subject myself to this?

It's fun! It's an interesting challenge, and you're constrained to the same limits as everyone else. The time limit also ensures that you don't have to spend too much of your time on the project if you have a busy lifestyle.

There are also PRIZES for the top four winning entries, as voted for by you, the users of this site. The initial prize fund is 100 bag from my own earnings which will be split amongst the winners thusly:
40 for first place
30 for second place
20 for third place
10 for fourth place
All tips to this post will be added to the prize fund, with the prizes remaining in proportion (so 40% of the collected pot will go to the first placed winner, 30% to the second placed winner, 20% to the third placed winner, and 10% to the fourth placed winner).

Check the first reply to this post for the latest update on the prize fund.

Further, all entrants will receive the perk of being added to the database as RPG designers and producers, with all that entails (including the option to wear a "GAME DESIGNER" badge!)

robbbbbb will also pass on to the relevant entrants all bag gained for adding the game information to the database (typically 7 in total for the RPG and item submission, 1 for a new designer, and 1 each for relevant images).

If we get someone to help Robb with the microbadge, then all entrants (and Robb for running the contest) will further receive an exclusive microbadge. This is available solely through this particular contest. Any future contests run here will have their own unique microbadges. Collect the set! (Anyone want to take on Microbadge creation?)

Timescales

The contest is open for entries through to Monday, November 12th, 2018. Send your completed entry by e-mail to robbbbbb at rminnema@yahoo.com. I'll hang on to them until the end of the entry period.

All entries received before the end of 12 November will be valid for entry into the contest, regardless of whether they have been fully completed or not (we appreciate that 24 hours is a very short space of time to create a full RPG). That gives you six full weekends to find the time.

When the entry period has closed, I'll create database objects for all the entries and ask the designers to upload their files to the appropriate entry for other users to access. If any designer has not uploaded their file within a couple of days, I'll upload it myself (so that the voting doesn't get delayed) but will delete my upload if the designer eventually does get around to uploading it themselves.

Then when they've all been checked and sorted, the entries will be announced to everyone and I'll set up a poll for voting. The poll will use a single transferable vote system (which, briefly, means that you rank the entries in order of preference which makes choosing a top three more representative).

Voting will be open for roughly three weeks, after which the results will be announced and the prizes distributed! Party on!

After the contest, you may decide that you want to take your work, polish it up, and make it into something greater. Go ahead! We'd love this contest to inspire you to design.

Eligibility for Entry

All registered users of the site are eligible to enter the contest, unless they are running the contest (so that's everyone except me then).

If you're not a user yet, but you'd like to enter, then sign up for an account! It's free and we don't ask any awkward questions! We're very friendly to new users, whether this is your first time here or you've been lurking for years.

Please: only one entry per person. If you're mad enough to make more than one, let me know which you would like to be considered for the competition.

For details of previous competitions, and all of the entries that were created, see:

2017 RPG Geek 24 Hour RPGs
2016 RPG Geek 24 Hour RPGs
2010 RPG Geek 24 Hour RPGs
2011 RPG Geek 24 Hour RPGs / 2011 RPG Geek 48 Hour RPGs
2012 RPG Geek 24 Hour RPGs
2013 RPG Geek 24 Hour RPGs / 2013 RPG Geek 48 Hour RPGs
2014 RPG Geek 24 Hour RPGs
2015 RPG Geek 24 Hour RPGs

Good luck. And may The Force be with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Total entries received: 17

729 AD, from cocuzzi
Alien, Texas, from ZOMBIFIED ed
At the Corner of Mean and Meow, from catcubed
Austen: The Promenading, from regency_rhi
Backyard Bullies, from sdonohue
Convocation of Zwolanie, from ctimmins
Erendrake, 878, from sos1
Fortune's Favored, from vialick
Grunts and Gore, from robbbbbb
Hit Them Hard and Fast Before the World Burns, from quarkyphysicist
In the Dark Place, from dumwytgi
Live Through the Night, from lawingm
Tallywags, from Spleen23
The Curious Mansion, from purplewurple
The Dreamships of Karthan Roh, from adularia25
The Mission, from Wired_Wolf
The Weave, from shawnssica

Current prize fund: 4000 bag

1600 geekgold for 1st place
1200 geekgold for 2nd place
800 geekgold for 3rd place
400 geekgold for 4th place

Tippers, in order of awesomeness:
1001 from Badger242
1000 from vestige
300 from Kafka
265 from sdonohue
254 from robbbbbb
200 from Kattvippa
200 from sos1
150 from regency_rhi
111 from jasri
100 from HGBlob
100 from dumwytgi
50 from shawnssica
50 from purplewurple
42 from cocuzzi
20 from Mulligans
5 from ZOMBIFIED ed
5 from AndersGabrielsson
1 from Tiggz

146 from submissions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Doppelgänger
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'Cause we know what we feel...
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know how to type the sound of a long sigh that expresses hope and pain at the same time. yuk

Edit: I am not starting now. Just playing.

d20 1d20 = (6) = 6d20 1d20 = (8) = 8d20 1d20 = (5) = 5

Criminals - Glory - Bronze Age

Yeah... glad I'm not starting now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1350103. ctimmins
  • 1d20 =
  • (6) =
  • d20
  • Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:41 pm
  • [+]
  • 1350104. ctimmins
  • 1d20 =
  • (8) =
  • d20
  • [+]
  • 1350105. ctimmins
  • 1d20 =
  • (5) =
  • d20
Hans Messersmith
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
admin
designer
With your head held high and your scarlet lies You came down to me from the open skies It's either real or it's a dream There's nothing that is in between
badge
Twilight, I only meant to stay awhile Twilight, I gave you time to steal my mind Away from me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to be clear, these are RPGs, not RPG items, right? That is, it needs to be separate game playable on its own and not an adventure/supplement/whatever for an existing RPG, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skalchemist wrote:
Just to be clear, these are RPGs, not RPG items, right? That is, it needs to be separate game playable on its own and not an adventure/supplement/whatever for an existing RPG, right?

Traditionally, yes.

Perhaps I'll run another one six months from now for the 24 hour RPG supplement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
robbbbbb wrote:
skalchemist wrote:

Traditionally, yes.

Perhaps I'll run another one six months from now for the 24 hour RPG supplement.

Ooo... I'd like that. Moar RPG contests!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Flory
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I'm rather aggressively multitasking here, so please forgive me if I'm missing something obvious.
Doesn't this, technically, mean that someone could spend the next 40+ days developing their "24 Hour RPG?"
As in, they could be working on it from today until the entry deadline?

This question, naturally, assumes that such a person is a scoundrel and should not be trusted to date a treasured sibling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Potential Themes:

1d20IMG + 1d20IMG + 1d20IMG -> (7) + (17) + (4) ->
+
+
= 28 [+]
= Families, Power, Stone Age
1d20IMG + 1d20IMG + 1d20IMG -> (4) + (6) + (18) ->
+
+
= 28 [+]
= Children, Duty, Far Future
1d20IMG + 1d20IMG + 1d20IMG -> (18) + (2) + (5) ->
+
+
= 25 [+]
= The Religious, Apotheosis, Bronze Age

Option 1 Remixed:

Families, Despair, Near Future
The Dead, Faith, Stone Age

Option 2 Remixed:

Criminals, Revenge, Stone Age
Criminals, Despair, Far Future

Option 3 Remixed:

Artists, Disaster, Far Future
Craftsmen, Revenge, Fantastic
Craftsmen, Apotheosis, Far Future
The Religious, Disaster, Fantastic

A nice mix, we'll see what comes to me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1350135. adularia25
  • 1d20IMG + 1d20IMG + 1d20IMG =
  • (7) + (17) + (4) =
  • iid:2631546 + iid:2631536 + iid:2631549 = 28
  • Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:54 pm
  • [+]
  • 1350136. adularia25
  • (4) + (6) + (18) =
  • iid:2631549 + iid:2631547 + iid:2631535 = 28
  • [+]
  • 1350137. adularia25
  • (18) + (2) + (5) =
  • iid:2631535 + iid:2631551 + iid:2631548 = 25
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jimflory wrote:
I'm rather aggressively multitasking here, so please forgive me if I'm missing something obvious.
Doesn't this, technically, mean that someone could spend the next 40+ days developing their "24 Hour RPG?"
As in, they could be working on it from today until the entry deadline?

This question, naturally, assumes that such a person is a scoundrel and should not be trusted to date a treasured sibling.

It means you have 24-consecutive hours to complete your 24-hour RPG sometime in the next 40 days, so that you can schedule the optimal time to have all those hours free at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Shellito
United States
Hollister
California
flag msg tools
designer
no, not the Hollister on the tee shirts. that place does not exist.
badge
Ia! Ia! Shub-Niggurath! The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young!
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my favorite events here. My life is chaos right now. Hopefully I can put together enough time to submit something this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Been awaiting for this moment...gotta get a kick start to my creative writing again as NaNo looms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Messersmith
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
admin
designer
With your head held high and your scarlet lies You came down to me from the open skies It's either real or it's a dream There's nothing that is in between
badge
Twilight, I only meant to stay awhile Twilight, I gave you time to steal my mind Away from me.
mbmbmbmbmb
robbbbbb wrote:
skalchemist wrote:

Traditionally, yes.

Right, I might be in, just need to find 24 hours straight where I can focus. We'll see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
1d20IMG + 1d20IMG + 1d20IMG -> (14) + (15) + (8) ->
+
+
= 37 [+]
= Servants - Love - 5th-10th century
1d20IMG + 1d20IMG + 1d20IMG -> (5) + (2) + (1) ->
+
+
= 8 [+]
= Craftsmen - Apotheosis - Weird
1d20IMG + 1d20IMG + 1d20IMG -> (20) + (3) + (10) ->
+
+
= 33 [+]
= Visionaries - Desire - 14th-15th century

That second one kind of appeals to me...hmm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1350145. Wired_Wolf
  • (14) + (15) + (8) =
  • iid:2631539 + iid:2631538 + iid:2631545 = 37
  • Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:24 pm
  • [+]
  • 1350146. Wired_Wolf
  • (5) + (2) + (1) =
  • iid:2631548 + iid:2631551 + iid:2631552 = 8
  • [+]
  • 1350147. Wired_Wolf
  • (20) + (3) + (10) =
  • iid:2631533 + iid:2631550 + iid:2631543 = 33
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wired_Wolf wrote:
Wired_Wolf previously rolled 1d20IMG + 1d20IMG + 1d20IMG = (14) + (15) + (8) =
+
+
= 37 [+]
= Servants - Love - 5th-10th century
Wired_Wolf previously rolled 1d20IMG + 1d20IMG + 1d20IMG = (5) + (2) + (1) =
+
+
= 8 [+]
= Craftsmen - Apotheosis - Weird
Wired_Wolf previously rolled 1d20IMG + 1d20IMG + 1d20IMG = (20) + (3) + (10) =
+
+
= 33 [+]
= Visionaries - Desire - 14th-15th century

That second one kind of appeals to me...hmm.

Nice! I'm thinking of craftsmen too - Craftsmen, Revenge, Fantastic seems like a rich topic - thoughts are percolating of what it could mean. Though The Dead, Faith, Stone Age is a close second for me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:

Hey, don't get too excited. You've still got a Starfarm entry to work on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robbbbbb wrote:
adularia25 wrote:

Hey, don't get too excited. You've still got a Starfarm entry to work on!

Yes I do... but I'm usually working on multiple games at the same time. I think I'll finally get a WIP thread up for that this weekend. And when I need a break from that game, I can work on this contest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
Though The Dead, Faith, Stone Age is a close second for me...

That is definitely a good one. I find that some of these give me inspiration for board games rather than RPG's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Z Gosck
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't done this since 2012, maybe I should give it a go again now that I know what I'm doing. Just kidding, I know that will actually make it much more difficult.
I mean it's not like I'm already doing Inktober and 24-Hour Comics Day... oh wait, I am.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Get yer finger off my head!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oooo, I just started an hour ago. Just 23 hours left
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you all know what's great? When we get early entries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Get yer finger off my head!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick question, does the main mechanic have to be a whole new system?
OR is a tweak with d20 acceptable, ie beat this difficulty class by rolling higher than desired number
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Z Gosck
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ZOMBIFIED ed wrote:
OR is a tweak with d20 acceptable, ie beat this difficulty class by rolling higher than desired number

I'm pretty sure the idea is that you're not just lifting an existing system directly and placing it in your game.
If everyone had to invent a radical new system most of them would be incomprehensible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn McCarthy
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
designer
https://rpggeek.com/blog/6320
badge
mb
ZOMBIFIED ed wrote:

You don't have to invent the universe from scratch, but don't re-bake the apple pie!

Think about what Stat+Bonus+d20 vs TN is doing, if that's the way your mind works, and find another way to express it. Numenera's mechanical innovation was turning d20 scale TNs into 1-7 and letting you burn stats to pump rolls, but it's undeniably a different system even if you can see the old wallpaper under the fresh paint.

So why not try something new? At worst, it'll be incomprehensible, but at best it'll be something worth playing.cool And it probably won't be incomprehensible because there are patterns that emerge all over in game design. Grab your weirdest idea, anchor it to something that feels at least a little familiar, and do the thing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teh Slipperboy
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
I don't think I'm ready to start, but what if I were...
1d20 = (19) = 19 Trevellers
1d20 = (9) = 9 Greed
1d20 = (13) = 13 19th century
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 1351614. sdonohue
  • 1d20 =
  • (19) =
  • Tue Oct 2, 2018 3:00 pm
  • [+]
  • 1351616. sdonohue
  • 1d20 =
  • (9) =
  • [+]
  • 1351617. sdonohue
  • 1d20 =
  • (13) =
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdonohue wrote:
I don't think I'm ready to start, but what if I were...
sdonohue previously rolled 1d20 = (19) = 19 Trevellers
sdonohue previously rolled 1d20 = (9) = 9 Greed
sdonohue previously rolled 1d20 = (13) = 13 19th century

I don't know what that is, but it sounds fantastic. You should go with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.