Welcome to the 2018 RPG Geek Secret Cthanta Gift Exchange. 10th Year!
Marqos ran the Cthanta Claus Gift Exchange (brilliantly) from 2009 until 2014. I've had stewardship since. It hasn't been without its hickups and evil bar-stewards being total goints to others by taking gifts while not giving. Thankfully RPGGeek has a beautiful set of users, some of whom stepped up as Dread Angels to give that little bit extra and provide extra gifts for those found unworthy by the great Cthanta (let down by their appointed giver).
I want to thank all of the trustworthy and honest users of RPGGeek who did give as well as receive, or just gave with no thoughts to receive anything themselves. THANK YOU!
Here we are, near the start of October! I once again present to you the (2018) RPGGeek Cthanta Claus Gift Exchange!
What is the Cthanta Gift Exchange?
* This is an INTERNATIONAL gift-giving 'secret santa' style affair for everyone on the Geek.
* You gift someone gifts; and in return you are gifted something back. All anonymously. It is more about the gifting than the receiving!
* The "Cthanta" theme is OPTIONAL. If you are not a fan of Cthulhu, jokes, taunting etc, rest assured you do NOT have to partake in that side of things!
* The "Cthanta Claus" account can be used to talk to/taunt your target if you wish. This can be as simple as "What one RPG thing do you really want?"
* You report to the "Look what Cthanta Claus got me" Geeklist with a single Geeklist entry (even for multiple items) so your gifter knows you received the goods and everyone can see what you got. Update this post if you need to - do Not make a 2nd list item!
* Everyone (and I mean **EVERYONE**) is in this to have fun and get a nice gift. If you don't hold up your end of the bargain the chain breaks down and people don't have fun.
The last day to join is Sunday, 18th November 2018.
1. VERY IMPORTANT RULE: Please join only if you are serious about sending a present to a fellow gamer, potentially 1,000s of miles away from you. There are NO restrictions on where you might be asked to ship the gifts to!
1a. Please read Rule 1 a second time. If you join, it is possible, even LIKELY that you will need to ship a gift to another continent. Learn it. Know it. Live it.
2. It is in your interest to fill out the form with all necessary shipping information. This is the information your gifter will use to send you a gift. If you think you might be travelling provide a safe haven address where you know someone will be in and who can tell you it has arrived!
3. Make sure your wish list is updated! Do it now! Shoot for 20 items, but make sure there are at least 10 solid things on it. Try to include items in as wide a price range as make sense. Be as informative as possible with wish list comments.
3a. Please consider the *availability* of items on your list. If possible, put something on your list that can be obtained from a store in your own country.
4. We're using $40 USD (£30 UKP) before shipping as an approximate budget for how much to spend on your target. In return you will receive gifts amounting to the same.
5. Try your best to make sure your gift reaches its destination by Dec. 24th. If it is likely to be late use the Cthanta Claus account to let them know!
6. You may use the Cthanta Claus account to tease, taunt and/or communicate with your target. The password is "password". Taunting is optional but can take many forms if you choose to do it. Remember to log out of the Cthanta Claus profile once you are done. (I recommend using a second browser for Cthanta.)
7. Contact me, Bifford, with any problems you encounter.
8. Remember, the more energy you put into it, the more fun you'll get out of it.
* This exchange is supposed to be fun. You can send physical rpg items, you can send PDFs (though by themselves these are not such great gifts, they do make great bonus items), you can send rpg paraphernalia, you can send something totally unrelated as long as it is in addition to the above!
* The main gifts that you send should be something you think your target will want, either because it is on their WISHLIST (click that for mine as an example) or because it is something similar to items on their list. If you are going off piste be sure to check the users COLLECTION so you don't send them an item they already have!!
* Your gifts should total at least $40 USD (£25 UKP). This is the amount your Cthanta will be (hopefully) spending on you. If you want to spend more please feel free, but know you probably won't get the same service back.
* If you need help please ask for it here.
* Should the unimaginable happen and your Cthanta lets the team down (ie you don't get any gift and you don't hear from Cthanta to say it's on its way) let me know. Each year a generous few "Angels" let it be known they will go above and beyond by sending extra gifts to those whose fingers got burnt by Cthanta. If you want to be a "Give Only" Angel, please choose that option on the form, or Geekmail me.
* Use the Cthanta Claus account (password="password") to taunt your recipient. Read the past years taunts/messages for ideas. If a message is in BOLD, and is NOT addressed to you please do not read it! If the temptation is too much and you just HAVE to read a post that is not meant for you then please mark it "UNREAD" again once you are done.
* Go and edit your profile in order to include a "Letter to Cthanta". In this you can say if you would like PDFs or Dead Tree objects, give ideas for local/regional stores that you know will ship to you cheaply and easily or even suggest another user who might be able to help with the "personal touch". Edit your profile by clicking "My Geek ~ Profile" and then on the pencil icon next to "User Profile for ####". Check out my Profile for an example.
Re: The 2018 Cthanta Claus (RPG Secret Santa) Gift Exchange
I'm thinking of joining, not a hard core RPGer but I've been playing Hero Kids with my kids and collecting FFG Star wars RPG books.
Waffling about participation should I join?
To go a bit more in depth. I really recommend it. Even if you're not a hard core RPGer, you can get someone to help fill out your collection or introduce you to a new game you may love. And Cthulhu is always so much fun. I've gotten Cthulhu holiday cards and lots of great taunty geekmails. I always look forward to the sign up because that's my start of the holidays. It's how I get into the spirit.