The Hotness
Games|People|Company
Legacy of Dragonholt
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
Fiasco
She Bleeds
Waterdeep: Dragon Heist
Project Powerpunk Demo Adventure
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Princes of the Apocalypse
URC3-02: The Mystery of Mystmoor
The Solo Adventurer's Toolbox
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Dungeon World Roleplaying Game
Blades in the Dark
The Orc in the Well
Jovian Despair
Knights & Legends
Woodfall
Fantasy World Creator
Gothnog's Blasphemous Abominations: The Lich
Vampire: The Masquerade (2nd Edition)
Savage Worlds (Revised Second Edition)
Dragonlance Campaign Setting
Red Hand of Doom
Champions (First Edition)
A Spy in Isengard
Adventure Gaming (Issue 2 - Aug 1981)
Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game
Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game
The Long Arm of the Hutt
The Quiet Year
King for a Day
Beyond the Rim
The Sundered Land
The One Ring Roleplaying Game
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying: The Assembled Edition
Cold Steel Wardens
World Wide Wrestling: The Roleplaying Game
The Sprawl
Agent's Handbook
The Alchemist of Istanbul
Xanathar's Guide to Everything
Sentinel Comics: The Roleplaying Game – Starter Kit
Genesys Core Rulebook
Forbidden Lands Player's Handbook
Forbidden Lands Gamemaster's Guide
Raven's Purge
Realms of Terrinoth
Masks of Nyarlathotep (5th edition)
Legend of the Five Rings RPG: Core Rulebook
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,501 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

RPG» Forums » Actual Play » Play by Forum

Subject: A New Of Mice and Monsters game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: osr_related [+] [View All]
b wallen
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
So I am looking to start a new Of Mice and Monsters games. The game is a mouse fantasy setting I am working on that in look, feel, and play is some mix of osr d&d, the works of Beatrix Potter, JRR Tolkien, and David Petersen. The game itself shall use the same rules but I am looking for a more episodic or dungeon crawl approach to it. The biggest difference in this game will be where it is played. I am looking to try out a new rpg app for android called mRPG. The app is more sms style as opposed to a virtual tabletop. So no set play times and I get notifications when there is activity ...which to me is more or less play by post, hence why it is here. The app can be downloaded from Google Play:https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.adrianocol...

The story

Maplenook is known for its mapale, made from the cooked down and then fermented sweet sap of the numerous grand sugar maples of the area. Many families have passed down and brewed guarded recipes for generations. Across the Leagues mapales with such names as Silversap, Redleaf, Sugarroot, and Sweetdew are sought after. Every year when the maple leaves begin changing color Maplenook holds the Scarlet festival near Firstharvest. The festival is a celebration of the breweries and their craft. This year there is indeed a large gathering . The breweries throw open their doors and let visitors sample their mapales. While at the Sugarroot Brewery, you overhear the proprietor, a grey mouse named Orrin, complaining to another patron, "...they probably have a nest in that hollow log that weasel bandit used for a hideout. Those hornets hurt my sap harvest badly this year I would pay anyone good money to get rid of them...."

The logistics

I would like 3 or 4 characters. Character generation will be done in this thread. All required info is found on my blog....The Chi rules are here:https://w00tgames.files.wordpress.com/2016/04/chi_rpg1.pdf and the Of Mice and Monsters supplement is here:https://w00tgames.files.wordpress.com/2018/10/ryn.pdf. This is for noobie adventurers with limited experience looking to make a name for themselves. So have that show in your synopsis. All characters will start with 6 dice and three adjectives. Character personal belongs are assumed with Chi feel free to give your character whatever you think they would carry on such a journey. Food and water are supplied.
I will select players as I like them. Once your in yall can determine if and how the characters know each other. Then find the game listing in the app and I will invite the selected players into the game through the app.
I try to run a friendly game so players please be willing to share a little about yourself. Nothing to steal your id with just first name and some gaming experience. If you are willing to deal with all of these stipulations then I would love for you to join

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Davis
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi there

I would like to register my interest for the game.

I'm Tom and I'm really new to tabletop RPGs. I have the pathfinder beginner box at home but havent managed to arrange a date with friends to actually play.

I've played a little bit of the star wars edge of the empire system (one PbF game that didn't get finished due to the GMs schedule becoming an issue).

Ive also listened to a couple of RPG podcasts so I have some understanding from these too.

I probably should say due to childcare/work commitments I would be trying to post 5 to 10 times a day if that is ok. If the game is running at a set time then I would probably struggle to attend so would have to count myself out.

Fingers crossed there is space for a newbie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I checked out the app. Looks interesting. I'm down to give it a go as it seems like it would fit with my busy schedule.

What's the minimum post frequency that you're looking for?

I'm not new to RPGs but as the story goes, I don't play as often as I'd like. Usually just at conventions really. I've played homebrew DnD via pbp on the defunct PhantomRPG forums, played and tried running a few games on RPGgeek and other sites like Myth-Weavers and others I can't remember.
All that's spread over a couple decades so my total exp is still low. ;P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
b wallen
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hi Tom and Timothy. Thanks for the interest yall sound a lot like me busy lives still want to do some gaming. I will give yall a run down on me. I am 40 and live in the Blue Ridge Mtns I have been rping close to 30 years. I started with d&d, have played vampire, rifts, deadlands, and a whole plethoraof indie and small press games. I began designing games around 25 and playing them takes up what little game time I have any more.

As to this game there is no set play time post as you can I would love about 5+ posts a day but cell service and my career dont always match. I try to let players lead and hold my posts back till I get enough responses.

The link to the chi rules as is the Of Mice and Monsters setting are above. The rules are short and easy, imo. If yall could post some characters here. Any questions or anything I can do to help feel free to PM me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Davis
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Okay so I was thinking the following:

Tristan Merryweather

Wreckless,gambler, nihilist

Warrior

Tristan is from Eastwatch and so has grown up close to both Riddenheath and Diremire. The constant fighting and hardship endured here has given him a very negative outlook. Better losing everything in a game of cards and lying in the gutter than saving up and buying a home only to have in ransacked by rats.

He is in Maplenook to get absolutely blind drunk and if there is a fight or a game of chance while he is there then all's the better.

Hope this is ok please feel free to give me any suggestions if you think this can be fleshed out a bit more.

I'm assuming decisions on the dice pool will happen separately (We can adjust Tristan's backstory to suit. Either young and out for adventure with a small dice pool or old and grizzled if we wanted him to be more experienced).

Finally, I also had an idea for a cleric and the sneak class sounds interesting so if anyone else was set on being a warrior I'm happy to change.

I think that's everything. Let me know if I've forgotten something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
b wallen
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
That is a great character. Tristan sounds like a typical Eastmarcher you would find wandering away from Eastmarch. The starting pool is 6. sorry I forgot to cover that in the initial post. You are in the game Tom, apply in the app and let me kno your user name here so I dont accidently refuse you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Davis
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
My user name is the same as here tdavis88 I couldn't find the game when I tried to search for English language games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
b wallen
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I added you to the game...not sure why the search did not work others have cound the game through the app..I would like at least to more players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Very Stout
United States
Back and to the Left-
Up a Bit, Perfect
flag msg tools
An old liberal optimist
badge
An Elf, a Human, and a Dwarf walk into a bar...
mbmbmbmbmb
Umm, not much into apps, but I'm willing to try if you can put up with a technophobe. I'd love a chance to join.

Know nothing about apps, Really enjoy RPG's. Will wait to hear back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
b wallen
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
It would be great if you joined. Honestly I would prefer this to be around a table with some beers and dice...but alas life will not afford me the luxury so I play this way...the techie stuff aint too bad with this app..its grassroots and so far seems good..you eill of course need the app, and the above listed stuff. The post a character and a little about yourself and you are good to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Very Stout
United States
Back and to the Left-
Up a Bit, Perfect
flag msg tools
An old liberal optimist
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, can I have 24 hours to get my wife to set me up on the app? Should have a character done much quicker, but will wait until app thing is a known resolution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
b wallen
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Not a problem take what ever time you need. I look forward to seeing your character
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Very Stout
United States
Back and to the Left-
Up a Bit, Perfect
flag msg tools
An old liberal optimist
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It didn't work out. The app was a little to intrusive. Thanks for the invite though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
b wallen
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Thanks for your interest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
b wallen
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I am still looking for 2 or 3 more players any takers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
b wallen
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb

Tristan Merryweather,reckless, gambling, and nihilistic warrior6

That is one this adventure would function better without at least two more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am so sorry that I haven't been responsive! Life has taken a turn for the overwhelming. If you'll still have me this is what I came up with:

Basil Longtooth

friendly, determined, chivalrous

hedge knight6

Basil was born the seventh son of an already impoverished knight of Fairhaven. This knight had nothing left to give his youngest child on his deathbed save for a runt of a rook, Felleye. Left on his own, noble blood largely in name only, Basil made his way around the kingdom selling his services in return for food and the occasional roof over his head.

His wanderings have brought him to Maplenook most recently with an empty purse, the clothes on his back, armor in need of repair and only a tattered cloak to keep him warm at night. The only things of value in his possession are his sword, plain but reliable, a favor (an embroidered blue silk handkerchief) from his love, and Felleye, the runt of a rook left to him by his father.

*Are two warriors too much? I don't mind, but I'm also willing to change things if need be.

**Is this alright? Anything need to be changed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
b wallen
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Basil is great! Definately you are in and two warriors are not too mu h I can accomadate any character types. I am having trouble aquiring players for this game. I would like one more if possible but I can do it with just the two of you. Do you have a mrpg user name?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My username is Fenix. Is the game up on mrpg? I'm also having trouble finding it. Though that could also just be my lack of familiarity with the app. I have only tinkered with it a little bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
b wallen
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Still seeking another player this game will serve as introductory to the world the rules and the app so experience or lack there of is not a problem:-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.