The Hotness
Games|People|Company
Legacy of Dragonholt
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
Fiasco
She Bleeds
Waterdeep: Dragon Heist
Project Powerpunk Demo Adventure
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Princes of the Apocalypse
URC3-02: The Mystery of Mystmoor
The Solo Adventurer's Toolbox
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Dungeon World Roleplaying Game
Blades in the Dark
The Orc in the Well
Jovian Despair
Knights & Legends
Woodfall
Fantasy World Creator
Gothnog's Blasphemous Abominations: The Lich
Vampire: The Masquerade (2nd Edition)
Savage Worlds (Revised Second Edition)
Dragonlance Campaign Setting
Red Hand of Doom
Champions (First Edition)
A Spy in Isengard
Adventure Gaming (Issue 2 - Aug 1981)
Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game
Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game
The Long Arm of the Hutt
The Quiet Year
King for a Day
Beyond the Rim
The Sundered Land
The One Ring Roleplaying Game
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying: The Assembled Edition
Cold Steel Wardens
World Wide Wrestling: The Roleplaying Game
The Sprawl
Agent's Handbook
The Alchemist of Istanbul
Xanathar's Guide to Everything
Sentinel Comics: The Roleplaying Game – Starter Kit
Genesys Core Rulebook
Forbidden Lands Player's Handbook
Forbidden Lands Gamemaster's Guide
Raven's Purge
Realms of Terrinoth
Masks of Nyarlathotep (5th edition)
Legend of the Five Rings RPG: Core Rulebook
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,516 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

RPG» Forums » General Discussion » General Role-Playing

Subject: Great rule book reads? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Halsey
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. Long time RPG guy here from the old days of Star Frontiers, Paranoia, Chill, and Gang Busters.

I never get to role play anymore but I remember the best past for me was reading the rule books. I read more rule books than I ever played.

I’ve been out of the loop for a long time. I’m not necessarily looking to get back to the table but I’d love a recommendation for a rule book read.

Any new RPGs out there that stand out as a cool systems or entertaining reading at least?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe one of the Dresden Files books - either The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game, Volume 1: Your Story for the big game with lots of rules or Dresden Files Accelerated for the smaller more manageable rules. Both are written in a somewhat conversation tone with quips and asides from characters from the book series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Messersmith
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
admin
designer
With your head held high and your scarlet lies You came down to me from the open skies It's either real or it's a dream There's nothing that is in between
badge
Twilight, I only meant to stay awhile Twilight, I gave you time to steal my mind Away from me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Its nothing like any rule-book you have read in the past, but I found Night Witches to be a great read. Its an incredible historical tale encoded into a set of rules for a game. I read it like a novel on my first read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Doppelgänger
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'Cause we know what we feel...
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
Maze of the Blue Medusa was a popular choice for reading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
msg tools
badge
1st edition AD&D Dungeon Master's Guide is a popular choice.

For a more modern equivalent, I find myself constantly leafing through The Burning Wheel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
solipsist gaming
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything from Over the Edge (1st & 2nd Editions) is a great read but obviously one has to be invested in the setting.

I also recommend The Supercrew. Although I've yet to actually play the game, I've read the (very short comic-book-style) rulebook many times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paranoia books are fun to read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coriolis: The Third Horizon
Spire
Blades in the Dark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Trudeau
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Symbaroum and HackMaster 5e Player's Handbook are great reads and overall just beautiful books. Symbaroum's setting is fantastic. HackMaster's system is a much more in-depth and interesting version of older D&D and while it's a good read, the author does come off sounding like an arrogant ass on occasion. Still worth getting though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
Burning Wheel or Burning Empires are conceptual monsters. BE is the prettier... the comics it's based upon (The Iron Empires series) are also an excellent read.

Mouse Guard, despite Luke Crane's claims (with profanity) to the contrary, feels and works as if it's "Burning Wheel Light." Plus, it's visually gorgeous, plays really well, is mechanically readily accessible to new players, and it's based upon the most excellent comics of the same name.

If you're into Star Wars, any of FFG's Star Wars games are mechanically interesting and have a decent (about 1/5 of the book) amount of setting, plus foes and vehicles (about 1/5 each), and some of the best art in the Industry.

Savage Worlds is totally non-setting, but it's much loved, and the PDF is cheap. I enjoyed reading the Pirates of the Spanish Main standalone, even tho' I find SW itself too random.

Deadlands (either the original or the Savage Worlds version) is quite a good setting.

Fate Core is interesting mechanically; many other Fate games are better reads, tho', and I can say that I found several others interesting setting reads, including Bulldogs, Starblazer Adventures (Based upon the british Starblazer, not the Anime Star Blazers aka Space Batleship Yamato), and Legends of Anglierre.

For Gonzo feel, Star Thugs RPG is a little known, quirky, and unusual in both mechanical approach and setting.

If one has never read it, John Wick's Orkworld is an incredible read... but the mechanics are poorly explained and not well mathed...

Wick's Houses of the Blooded is also an interesting read for the settings, and for the action system. His Cat is also an interesting setting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Abbott
Canada
GTA
of Confusion
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second the mention of Coriolis: the Third Horizon.

Sidewinder d20 is proving entertaining to flip through (the original, not "Sidewinder: Recoiled").

More than a few hours of fun in the classic 1980s Traveller rule, supplement, and adventure books, including the hardcover compilation edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
bobcatt wrote:
I'll second the mention of Coriolis: the Third Horizon.

Sidewinder d20 is proving entertaining to flip through (the original, not "Sidewinder: Recoiled").

More than a few hours of fun in the classic 1980s Traveller rule, supplement, and adventure books, including the hardcover compilation.
The hardcover is actually a new subedition, not a compilation. There are 20-some easily missed rules changes... well more than that if coming from the '77 instead of the 81 little black books. Starter is largely the same as The Traveller Book, but has a few additional changes... like finally making pulse lasers sensible.

All of the CT corpus from GDW, except JTAS, is on the CD - for $35, you get a CD or a thumb-drive (the later requires requesting it in that format) with Books 1-3 (1977 edition), Book 5 (1979 edition), Books 0-8 (1981 edition; 1980 for Bk5), Adv 0-12, Sup 1-13, Alien Modules 1-8, Modules 1-4, Double Adventures 1-6, Imperium, AHL, Dark Nebula, Striker, Fifth Frontier War, Invasion: Earth....

A stupendously large bit of reading...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Abbott
Canada
GTA
of Confusion
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wrote in some haste.

The hardcover ‘compiles’ books 1-3, adds an introduction, presents a brief referee’s guide, touches on The Imperium, and offers a couple of short adventures to begin play. I couldn’t think of a more descriptive term at that instant. Noting rule revisions didn’t strike me as critical in this case given the OP’s intent to read rather than play.

Somewhere I have the comparison doc which highlights the ‘77 ‘81 TTB and ST deltas. Very useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
I'll co-sign the Mouse Guard manual. I actually think it fails on several counts as a rules manual, to the point of being difficult to learn the game without outside help. But its lore, character, setting and flavor sections are excellently done. It's better as a coffee table book than a game reference, and thus perfect for OP's purposes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Daumen
United States
The Triangle
flag msg tools
designer
(Tennessee and Wisconsin in between)
badge
I think you should realize these wings are really hot
mbmbmbmbmb
The NPCs in the original Delta Green book were some of the most compelling I've come across, contributing well to the zeitgeist of the setting. I read most of that book the first time with my jaw dropped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford the Youngest (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
Exalted Third Edition is a must-read for a good book. The stories therein are very well made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
Greece
Marousi
Athens
flag msg tools
Game on!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to add

Don't Rest Your Head Great Setting

Polaris: Chivalric Tragedy at Utmost North Melancholic and epic

Thirty It's more like notes of an amazing campaign than an actual rule book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Unwin
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Back before I was weary of Star Wars (and of crappy, illusionistic GMing methods), I really enjoyed the West End Games Star Wars books. I got the sense that the writers loved Star Wars and wanted to promote play that would emulate the movies. The examples and concepts were fun to read, I loved the scratchwork art they must have dug out of Lucasfilm archives, and a lot of their fiction was top notch, and scratched an itch that nothing else did in those days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.