On the Air
Aftermath! Technology! (Second edition)
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Flash Gordon Roleplaying Game
Top Secret Box Set (Second Edition)
The Rise of Tiamat
The House Always Wins
Przeklęty Gród
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
Unearthed Arcana
Ironwood
Flash Gordon Kingdoms of Mongo
Realms of Terrinoth
Call of Cthulhu Starter Set
The Adventure Crafter
Dungeon Masters Guide (AD&D 1e)
Player's Handbook (D&D 3.5e)
The Great Pendragon Campaign
Fiasco
Microscope
Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game
Horror on the Orient Express (2nd Edition)
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
No Country For Old Kobolds
The Skeletons
World War Cthulhu: Cold War
Kids on Bikes
Ork! The Roleplaying Game, 2nd Edition
Knights & Legends
Camarilla
Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage
Complete Gunslinger
Footprints (Issue 24 - Jan 2019)
Players Handbook (AD&D 1e)
Monster Manual (AD&D 1e)
The Adventures of Indiana Jones
Savage Worlds Explorer's Edition
Dogs in the Vineyard
Dungeon Master's Guide (D&D 3.5e)
Monster Manual (D&D 3.5e)
Player's Handbook (AD&D 2e)
Trial of Blood
Castles & Crusades Players Handbook
TS 002: Operation: Rapidstrike
Over the Edge
I6: Ravenloft
I10: Ravenloft II: The House on Gryphon Hill
The Black Madonna
On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
1 Posts

Moon over Graymoor» Forums » Sessions

Subject: [LAWINGM] Halloween week one-shot rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Lawing
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoilers ahead! Ye've been warned!

A friend ran this as a one-shot in his own homebrew world for a little Halloween-themed fun. Our party consisted of a barbarian, death domain cleric, and myself playing a Tabaxi ranger.

We are monster hunters from the White Rock Clan. We'd been hired and sent out by the town's magistrate to investigate a series of murders. They'd been going on for several weeks. Upon our arrival, we inspected a fresh body from the night before. There weren't a ton of clues from townsfolk, but we found large claw marks in the ground after following some blood trails. There were a few verbal clues/rumors. In retrospect, I think they were likely distractions, but not too over the top.

We checked the home of the deceased and then the home of the mayor's deceased friend. Both locations gave clues about magic items and/or curses. Darkness brought us back to the inn where we were staying.

The next morning, there was another corpse. We found more clues in her home. Clues that told us a beast was murdering these people. Something with incredible power.

We went to the church to ask since two of the bodies had worked on a large lock for the building. They were preparing for a large festival. The priest was helpful, but not overly able to provide information.

We got caught in a barn, finding the body of the mayor, and someone or something attempted to burn us alive inside. We gave chase, but it ultimately got away.

Our group eventually split up to seek the clues we received. I went to find the carved tree and the magic sword. The others went to find the spooky hag in the woods. We reconvened and went to the festival. Once inside, the doors locked. We'd attempted to enter the side room of the temple on our first visit, but had been swept out by the crowd. This time, Zundar the barbarian beat down the door. We failed an investigation check, but the barbarian started randomly poking the crest and opened the secret passage to the basement!

Downstairs, we found the blacksmith's daughter chained up and the priest with her at an altar to another deity. A fight broke out and we won fairly handily. We were able to return the necklace to the daughter and bring her out, the werewolf priest slain. We were also able to unlock the temple.

This was a decent module. It's hard to know how much of the quality in either direction comes from the material or the dm. I thought it had a lot of calls back to other werewolf mysteries and reminded me a lot of the Gabriel Knight game "The Beast Within," which I grew up playing in the early/mid 90's. Solid game. I think this was my first mystery game for DND, and I very much enjoyed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.