The Hotness
Games|People|Company
Legacy of Dragonholt
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
Fiasco
She Bleeds
Waterdeep: Dragon Heist
Project Powerpunk Demo Adventure
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Princes of the Apocalypse
URC3-02: The Mystery of Mystmoor
The Solo Adventurer's Toolbox
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Dungeon World Roleplaying Game
Blades in the Dark
The Orc in the Well
Jovian Despair
Knights & Legends
Woodfall
Fantasy World Creator
Gothnog's Blasphemous Abominations: The Lich
Vampire: The Masquerade (2nd Edition)
Savage Worlds (Revised Second Edition)
Dragonlance Campaign Setting
Red Hand of Doom
Champions (First Edition)
A Spy in Isengard
Adventure Gaming (Issue 2 - Aug 1981)
Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game
Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game
The Long Arm of the Hutt
The Quiet Year
King for a Day
Beyond the Rim
The Sundered Land
The One Ring Roleplaying Game
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying: The Assembled Edition
Cold Steel Wardens
World Wide Wrestling: The Roleplaying Game
The Sprawl
Agent's Handbook
The Alchemist of Istanbul
Xanathar's Guide to Everything
Sentinel Comics: The Roleplaying Game – Starter Kit
Genesys Core Rulebook
Forbidden Lands Player's Handbook
Forbidden Lands Gamemaster's Guide
Raven's Purge
Realms of Terrinoth
Masks of Nyarlathotep (5th edition)
Legend of the Five Rings RPG: Core Rulebook
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,506 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A question suggested by

Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb

What RPG does a good job of encouraging teamwork between PCs? And what game mechanisms help to encourage teamwork?

Do you have a question you want asked as QOTD? Post here!

And if you want to find an old QOTD: The big QOTD Summary and Subscription Thread Volume 3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Curato
France
Albi
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nefertiti Overdrive does. One single character cannot overcome an encounter, we need all the help ; each player adds one cumulative die.

Good mechanisms are, for example, the ability to give points between characters, such as HeroQuest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"All history is made up. Good history is made up by good historians; bad history is made up by the others." -David Macaulay
badge
"We talked a little more of Milesians and Firbolgs; but I do not write what he told me here, as it is at variance with things I have written already, as is often the case with legend, whence comes a pleasing variety." -Lord Dunsany
mbmbmbmbmb
It takes some people repeated lasering to learn to cooperate, so I'd say the clone mechanic in Paranoia does a great job of encouraging teamwork. It gives strong incentive as well as time to learn. Cooperate or die! (Well, perhaps that "or" is hyperbole.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teh Slipperboy
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Pathfinder tries with a host of teamwork feats, but in my group no one ever seems to take any of them unless they have an animal companion they can "force" to take them so they can use them.

Champions has teamwork rules, but I've only very rarely seen them used and then usually only by villain groups.

Steffan is probably right. Maybe DCC should also count, at least during the funnel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Silva
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've yet to find a system that handles teamwork in a way I find playable. But my expectations are way way up there: 1000 mooks and their overpowered tyrant fight your 5 pcs (which are 5 teams of 3-5 different scale individuals.) resolve this SIMPLY in one roll per player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Bailey
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
“I would have made this instrumental, but the words got in the way...” —XTC, “No Language in Our Lungs”
badge
“Self-discipline isn’t everything; look at Pol Pot.” —Helen Fielding, _Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason_
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy The One Ring's Fellowship-pool mechanism, which lets characters draw Hope from the group as a whole when they're under the threat of Shadow, and really like the way the game lets you spend extra successes to make up for failures of other party members; if your party is making a Stealth test to sneak up on an orc camp, and you get two successes but another PC fails, you can give them your extra success (representing your PC pointing out the dry leaves they're about to step on, say) to help the group succeed. I wish more games used this approach.

The 2d20 Conan game lets any PC pull Momentum (metagame currency) from a pool that's populated by all party members' actions. This lets you set up "one-two specials", where PC #1 performs an action to generate Momentum that PC #2 can use for an attack or other action.

5th-edition D&D lets you give your Inspiration (automatic advantage on a chosen roll) to another player's character so they can have a better shot at making a vital roll. We use this rule all the time at my table.

All of these revolve around mechanisms that allow PCs to share success or metagame resources. But there are other mechanics which support team planning, such as Marvel Heroic Roleplaying's "choose who goes next" initiative system which lets players plan team actions ("I'll tackle this guy out of the way, then you pick up Wolverine and throw him through the door!") that are difficult or impossible in pure random-initiative systems.

(Edit: I forgot about The Burning Wheel's version of help, where you lend another player one of your dice representing your assistance, and can tell from the roll whether you actually helped or not. Simple and a bit more flavourful than games where assistance just provides a flat bonus.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blades in the Dark
Assisting is the most common: Player says that they want to help and describes how. Helper pays Stress. Helped gets an extra die.
There's also a Group Action manoeuvre: One player leads an action (we sneak past the guards), everyone rolls, best result stands and the leader pays extra stress for every member of the group that fails.
And a Setup manoeuvre: Do a thing that will make someone else's task less risky or more effective.
There are also Long-Term Projects which multiple characters might contribute to.

The Cypher System
Player says that they want to help and describes how. Helper uses their Action to help. Helped has their action eased (or is faster or bigger or stronger or their opponent's action is hindered or whatever makes sense). When the difficulties get up to the 8-10 range, making things easier for the PC best suited to the situation is probably more effective than attempting a virtually impossible task of your own.
Also, any player at the table can use an XP to allow a reroll of any failed check regardless of who made the check. When a GM Intrusion is made, the GM gives the targeted player 2 XP, one to keep and and one to give to another player. Typically, if someone has given another player a reroll, it will be repaid.

Both games also have a Take the Hit manoeuvre, allowing you to take damage intended for another character, but that's a less common option. If it is used, it's often by one specific heavily armoured character, and not something that might be generally used by anyone.

So, how do these encourage teamwork?
They are easy to do. The rules are simple and straightforward.
They work. Helping works. You say that you help and you do. There's no extra rolls to see if the helping works, it just does.
They're effective. In both games, you're better off making fewer, higher probability rolls than you are if you make lots of low-probability rolls hoping to get lucky. You will expend fewer resources (Stress, Effort, Harm, Damage).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
We tend to think of D&D characters in a different light, but it's very, very possible to craft a spellcaster whose purpose is almost entirely to support other party members. The fact that this is a rare type of build speaks more to gamer mentality than the system, imo. Just a couple weeks ago, a friend lamented his lack of contribution to a fight, when his Twinned Haste on two other party members likely contributed more to the fight than anything we did.

Specifically cooperative RPGs are another obvious candidate. The Quiet Year, for an example I own. There's conflict at times, yes, but it's ultimately a cooperative endeavor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The PbtA game The Fellowship is ALl about teamwork. The mechanism that presses this most is the point of the game. The GM plays as the Overlord. The Overlord's focus is to complete their goal. If the Fellowship gets in the way, then the Overlord focuses on destroying their bonds. If all of their bonds are destroyed, The Fellowship splits up and loses. So, the group focus is on building bonds and teamwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Twilight: 2000 (1st Edition) because of the military chain of command.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Robben
Belgium
Antwerp
Antwerp
flag msg tools
And here...
badge
I should really add something smart and sparkly here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Star Trek 2D20 nailed this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Silva
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benevolentgamemaster wrote:

Enlighten-me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Lee
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I love the synergies that can emerge between the different characters in 4th edition D&D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Messersmith
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
admin
designer
With your head held high and your scarlet lies You came down to me from the open skies It's either real or it's a dream There's nothing that is in between
badge
Twilight, I only meant to stay awhile Twilight, I gave you time to steal my mind Away from me.
mbmbmbmbmb
shiva666 wrote:

Enlighten-me...

I'll step in on this, because I agree with Peter. The game encourages teamwork in three ways.

* Extra successes a player's roll over their target number can be put into a resource pool called Momentum, which can then be spent for other things by other players, instead of being used immediately.

* Aid on a roll is handled very easily by each person who can aid just rolling an extra d20 into the main acting player's roll, using their own attributes and disciplines.

* Advantages can be created by one player that then reduce difficulty of rolls by others.

The system itself helps encourage teamwork as well because the GM advice plus the difficulty numbers makes it such that maybe 50% or more of the rolls a player makes will need assistance from someone to be able to succeed.

None of it is revolutionary, every element has been seen in other games, its just put together in a neat and efficient package that works very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Bailey
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
“I would have made this instrumental, but the words got in the way...” —XTC, “No Language in Our Lungs”
badge
“Self-discipline isn’t everything; look at Pol Pot.” —Helen Fielding, _Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason_
mbmbmbmbmb
EnricPDX wrote:
Personally, I love the synergies that can emerge between the different characters in 4th edition D&D.

I remember enjoying this aspect of 4th edition, but I tend to prefer mechanics that make the teamwork explicit, as per the games I listed in my answer above, to the more implicit "these abilities work well together if you think to use them that way" approach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Hardy
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Most if not all of the examples given, I would not count as teamwork.

To me, teamwork would be cooperatively working on a single task together. Most of the examples are how, mechanically speaking, player A can do something mechanically that helps player B with B's rolls.

Now, it is possible that this is what the OP is asking about. It is just now how I would conceive of teamwork.

With that said, I am surprised no one has mentioned Star Wars: Edge of the Empire. It has rules for things like the other games mentioned, e.g. you use your rolled advanatage to give a boost to the next player's roll, there are certain abilities that can also give boost to other player's rolls, and initiate is a pool. Thus, the initiative pool allows the players to decide on the order their PCs go in rather than the person who rolled the highest going first.

To top it off, there are rules for actions that I describe as teamwork. That is, there are rules that allow people to pool their PC actions together to complete a task faster/better.

Paranoia 25th Anniversary, has mechanics that get in the way of teamwork. I mean, when your team is filled with commie mutant scum, you have no choice but to kill them. It is all for your friendly computer overlord.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The Fall of Delta Green and Traveller (Mongoose 2nd Edition) have rules that explicitly model characters helping each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Azukail Games
msg tools
designer
publisher
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
mbmbmbmbmb
SteamCraft wrote:
It is all for your friendly computer overlord.

The Computer is your friend. Use of the term overlord suggests you are a subversive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Merry Christmas Geeks
mbmbmbmbmb
SteamCraft wrote:
I am surprised no one has mentioned Star Wars: Edge of the Empire. It has rules for things like the other games mentioned, e.g. you use your rolled advanatage to give a boost to the next player's roll, there are certain abilities that can also give boost to other player's rolls, and initiate is a pool. Thus, the initiative pool allows the players to decide on the order their PCs go in rather than the person who rolled the highest going first.

Yes, it was FFGs Genesys system that instantly sprung to my mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skalchemist wrote:
shiva666 wrote:

Enlighten-me...

I'll step in on this, because I agree with Peter. The game encourages teamwork in three ways.

* Extra successes a player's roll over their target number can be put into a resource pool called Momentum, which can then be spent for other things by other players, instead of being used immediately.

* Aid on a roll is handled very easily by each person who can aid just rolling an extra d20 into the main acting player's roll, using their own attributes and disciplines.

* Advantages can be created by one player that then reduce difficulty of rolls by others.

The system itself helps encourage teamwork as well because the GM advice plus the difficulty numbers makes it such that maybe 50% or more of the rolls a player makes will need assistance from someone to be able to succeed.

None of it is revolutionary, every element has been seen in other games, its just put together in a neat and efficient package that works very well.

Further, the whole flavor of Star Trek Adventures is teamwork in that characters are typically part of a bridge crew and must work together to accomplish their goals. Different characters need to do different tasks to, for example, navigate and pilot through an asteroid field while scanning for an alien power source while under attack, which itself may require ship repairs and/or medical treatment of crew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Hardy
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Azukail wrote:
SteamCraft wrote:

The Computer is your friend. Use of the term overlord suggests you are a subversive.

Accusing the most devoted ally of friend computer of being subversive is a treasonous action deserving of immediate execution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"All history is made up. Good history is made up by good historians; bad history is made up by the others." -David Macaulay
badge
"We talked a little more of Milesians and Firbolgs; but I do not write what he told me here, as it is at variance with things I have written already, as is often the case with legend, whence comes a pleasing variety." -Lord Dunsany
mbmbmbmbmb
SteamCraft wrote:
Azukail wrote:
SteamCraft wrote:

Accusing the most devoted ally of friend computer of being subversive is a treasonous action deserving of immediate execution.

And at this point it's on to Laser skills, repeat as necessary, and eventually they'll learn to get along because they're on their last clones. See how the mechanic creates teamwork? Perfection!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Good thread and examples, guys. Thanks!

I was interested in the question because I've got a 5e D&D group running right now. Dads and kids from my Cub Scout unit, including two of my boys. I like that RPGs tend to put the crew together as a team to confront and defeat enemies. But I also think that the mechanisms in RPGs that help to reinforce that "team" mechanism can leave something to be desired. So I was looking for good examples of ideas to pull into my games. And there are some good ones here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One other example I thought of is Marvel Heroic. This game allows you to use your team die (which could be the better die) if you partner up with someone to do something like a "fastball special". This only applies though if you are playing a hero that is known for teamwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Do: Pilgrims of the Flying Temple has teamwork built in, and when you draw certain color combos of stones (2 white and 1 black or 3 white) you are able to aid other players and get them out of trouble (though with one black stone, you'll be putting yourself in trouble to help them!)

Nefertiti Overdrive does have aiding other players built in, though you can only add one die to what they are doing. It helps that the challenges are pretty challenging so that players need to work together to overcome them. And since the mechanics are based on Marvel Heroic Roleplaying, that RPG probably has something very similar in place (though I haven't played it, so I don't really know).

For games that don't innately have it built in, I like to use group successes. Say you are playing Call of Cthulhu (2nd - 6th Edition) with party of five, and they are all using Library Use in order to find a specific book. If three of them succeed or if one gets a crit success and one gets a normal success, they find the book! Otherwise, they have bad luck at that library.

Cooperative games do not necessarily lead to teamwork. The Quiet Year often produces factions that splinter off and do their own thing, the rest of the group be damned. Yes, the overarching story is cooperatively built, but the individuals within the story do not have to be cooperative at all! And often aren't, at least in the games I've played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.