Steve Jackson's Sorcery! Bundled Set
Call of Cthulhu Starter Set
The Curse of Katiki-Mu
Hoard of the Dragon Queen
Rockalypse
Waterdeep: Dragon Heist
Android: Shadow of the Beanstalk
Magic Cards
Rêve de Dragon, jeu de rôle d'Onirique Fantasy (Third Edition)
Bean! The D2 RPG (Second Edition)
Tales from the Loop
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
Escape the Underdark
Mothership Player's Survival Guide
Odd Soot
Realm of Chaos: The Lost and the Damned
Masks of Nyarlathotep (3rd & 4th edition)
Universe (2nd Edition)
The Drenslaar Quest
Old School Reference and Index Compilation (OSRIC) v2
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Core Set
Polyhedron (Issue 11 - Mar 1983)
Black Fire Pass
Tome of Adventure Design
Pathfinder Pawns: Bestiary Box
Numenera
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Tech Support
Doors to Darkness
Genesys Core Rulebook
Realms of Terrinoth
Ironsworn
Shattered: A Grimdark RPG
Masks of Nyarlathotep (5th edition)
The Solo Adventurer's Toolbox
Ubersreik Adventures: If Looks Could Kill
Project Powerpunk Demo Adventure
Chopsticks and Dropkicks / 37th Chamber of Shaolin
Yaztromo 35mm Figure
Star Frontiers
Mutants & Masterminds Second Edition
Unearthed Arcana
A Penny for My Thoughts
GURPS High-Tech (Fourth Edition)
BSOLO: Ghost of Lion Castle
In The Labyrinth
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,409 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
sos1 wrote:
Cooperate or die! (Well, perhaps that "or" is hyperbole.)

Cooperate. As long as The Computer notices others more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
shiva666 wrote:
I've yet to find a system that handles teamwork in a way I find playable. But my expectations are way way up there: 1000 mooks and their overpowered tyrant fight your 5 pcs (which are 5 teams of 3-5 different scale individuals.) resolve this SIMPLY in one roll per player.

Wushu Open
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy
France
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Mouse Guard does very well the job for me. Not in the sense of explicit mechanics for teamwork (it boils down to, if I'm not mistaken : every helper gives one additional die for the test, provided they have a skill related), but rather by adventure design: the dangers that the group will face are high and the odds are heavily stacked against the Patrol. Everymouse has to throw everything they have if they want to prevail.
Plus, the players, if they want to help, have to come up with a justification. It's not just " Yeah, I'll help with that " from every player
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience...

The Burning Wheel (Revised Edition), The Burning Wheel Gold, Mouse Guard - all have a help mechanic where the player physically hands one of their dice to the player making the check.
Mouse Guard further has actions in conflicts resolved team vs team, 3 actions per round, no character allowed to act twice in a row.

Legend of the Five Rings Roleplaying Game (5th Edition) - The system is a roll Att black & Skill white, keep (att) dice of choice. Help adds one die, White if helper skilled, black if not, and one extra kept die. So it not only improves the odds by available dice to pick from, but also an extra kept die. On top of that, one helper may apply an advantage to the roll in addition to the acting character. It's really powerful.

The One Ring - The combination of the Travel Rules, the fellowship point mechanic, and the fellowship focus mechanic really help tie the group together. The Lower difficulty for splitting a task into multiple rolls is also explicitly allowed for a help mechanic - 3 successful rolls needed reduces the TN by 2, IIRC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Messersmith
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
admin
designer
With your head held high and your scarlet lies You came down to me from the open skies It's either real or it's a dream There's nothing that is in between
badge
Twilight, I only meant to stay awhile Twilight, I gave you time to steal my mind Away from me.
mbmbmbmbmb
sos1 wrote:
And at this point it's on to Laser skills, repeat as necessary, and eventually they'll learn to get along because they're on their last clones. See how the mechanic creates teamwork? Perfection!
Steffan, I had never really thought of Paranoia in this fashion, but based on my few experiences with it I'm convinced you have nailed its basic essence. Those extra clones are really a smoke screen, the illusion that you have time to figure out what is going on, time to screw over the other player characters, time to indulge in gonzo craziness. And then...those clones nearly all evaporate in the first hour or two of play and suddenly the game gets more "serious".

I wonder if this was intentional on the part of the designers, or if it is an emergent property of something that was thrown in simply because it fit well with the theme of the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:
shiva666 wrote:
I've yet to find a system that handles teamwork in a way I find playable. But my expectations are way way up there: 1000 mooks and their overpowered tyrant fight your 5 pcs (which are 5 teams of 3-5 different scale individuals.) resolve this SIMPLY in one roll per player.

Wushu Open

Wushu Open is PERFECT if you want a narrative story (generally railroady into go to location A or B though) AND a team of wushu / kungfu fighters that will join together to fight a boss in as cinematic and improvised a way as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fate Accelerated (and probably Fate Core) has some pretty good mechanics around creating advantages for other players to make us of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Daumen
United States
The Triangle
flag msg tools
designer
(Tennessee and Wisconsin in between)
badge
I think you should realize these wings are really hot
mbmbmbmbmb
Mallet wrote:
The Fall of Delta Green has rules that explicitly model characters helping each other.

Specifically, both this and Night's Black Agents allow PCs to spend experience to benefit each other's skill rolls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.