Steve Jackson's Sorcery! Bundled Set
Call of Cthulhu Starter Set
The Curse of Katiki-Mu
Hoard of the Dragon Queen
Rockalypse
Waterdeep: Dragon Heist
Android: Shadow of the Beanstalk
Magic Cards
Rêve de Dragon, jeu de rôle d'Onirique Fantasy (Third Edition)
Bean! The D2 RPG (Second Edition)
Tales from the Loop
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
Escape the Underdark
Mothership Player's Survival Guide
Odd Soot
Realm of Chaos: The Lost and the Damned
Masks of Nyarlathotep (3rd & 4th edition)
Universe (2nd Edition)
The Drenslaar Quest
Old School Reference and Index Compilation (OSRIC) v2
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Core Set
Polyhedron (Issue 11 - Mar 1983)
Black Fire Pass
Tome of Adventure Design
Pathfinder Pawns: Bestiary Box
Numenera
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Tech Support
Doors to Darkness
Genesys Core Rulebook
Realms of Terrinoth
Ironsworn
Shattered: A Grimdark RPG
Masks of Nyarlathotep (5th edition)
The Solo Adventurer's Toolbox
Ubersreik Adventures: If Looks Could Kill
Project Powerpunk Demo Adventure
Chopsticks and Dropkicks / 37th Chamber of Shaolin
Yaztromo 35mm Figure
Star Frontiers
Mutants & Masterminds Second Edition
Unearthed Arcana
A Penny for My Thoughts
GURPS High-Tech (Fourth Edition)
BSOLO: Ghost of Lion Castle
In The Labyrinth
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,394 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A question suggested by

Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Have you ever run or play in a scenario where the characters were at high risk of catching a deadly infectious disease, and how did that play out?

Do you have a question you want asked as QOTD? Post here!

And if you want to find an old QOTD: The big QOTD Summary and Subscription Thread Volume 3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Azukail Games
msg tools
designer
publisher
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume that doesn't really mean zombie apocalypse games. Which are essentially based around a deadly infectious disease.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"All history is made up. Good history is made up by good historians; bad history is made up by the others." -David Macaulay
badge
When I retired, I decided to explore the Seven Deadly Sins. Perhaps I shouldn't have started with Sloth. It's been four years and that's as far as I've gotten.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not that I can remember. The situation isn't something I'd enjoy playing out, to be honest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
badge
Made you look!
mbmbmbmbmb
A guy in the D&D 5e game I was in carried around a severed mummy hand for a bit. He contracted mummy rot but that was D&D so the outcome was pretty obvious - visit a cleric, magic happens, get told "what possessed you to do that, don't do it again."

I still think we should have weaponized it somehow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lawing
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there is a 5e actual play podcast, Turncloaks maybe?, where the world is going through a plague and victims bleed out of every orifice. I didn't listen for very long, so I can't give any further detail or recommendation, but that might be of interest.

While interesting to ponder, I don't know that it's something I'd be interested in playing. Mechanically I wonder how you'd handle pc's avoiding getting sick, getting better without a cleric/hand waving, or making the threat seem real without massive pc casualties. Maybe a short adventure makes the most sense in those confines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
During a D&D campaign, one of the PCs got the disease mummy rot. After a courageous battle and many attempts on the saving throws he ended up dying. That is the only scenario that I can think of involving diseases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Like as the infection of becoming a Zombie or Vampire or a Werewolf? Most definitely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a campaign of Red Markets, a zombie apocalypse game, where the threat of infection is ever-present. It's written into the game mechanics in a good way, too. You know if you've been exposed to the Blight, but you hide information on whether the PC has contracted it. That can lead to some delightful in-game tension regarding whether or not to put down the guy who may or may not be turning into a zombie cannibal.

(Another nice thing about RM is that it has two types of zombies. They start "fast" and later metabolize to the usual "slow" walking undead type. This makes the spread of the zombie apocalypse much more explainable.)

Twilight: 2000 (1st Edition) also includes rules on disease, and is very sensible about things like typhoid. And you can certainly include Nurgle's Rot in any of the Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay family.

tdphillips's point about how relatively easy it is for characters in a D&D game to get healed from diseases is on-point. When the game system makes it fairly trivial to get rid of a disease, then it stops being a dominant part of the game system and just becomes another minor obstacle to be waved away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Natural disasters are underused in RPGs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Robben
Belgium
Antwerp
Antwerp
flag msg tools
And here...
badge
I should really add something smart and sparkly here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes. Mostly they found the cure, a few times someone died or became a Chaos creature or whatever the disease entailed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Merry Christmas Geeks
mbmbmbmbmb
Only The End of the World: Zombie Apocalypse, if you count that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
Several times. Only once was it a lethal result for PC's. But the details escape me at present.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played WFRP, so, it must've happened at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I had in mind something more like this:

A movie that is very well done from a scientific point of view, BTW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Abbott
Canada
GTA
of Confusion
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There was always a risk of our characters experiencing disease or parasitic infection in AD&D 1e games, especially if we were traipsing through swamps or mucking about in the poorest quarters/sewers of a city. However, I cannot recall any instance which was more than an inconvenience requiring the intervention of a cleric.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
henry proctor
United Kingdom
Corfe Mullen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Disease hasn't played a major factor, but I have played with radiation.
I GM'd a game in the fallout setting, so radiation was very important.
It wasn't a single major illness risk, it was lots of small doses building up over time. Added an interesting touch of caution to player actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
henry proctor wrote:
Disease hasn't played a major factor, but I have played with radiation.
I GM'd a game in the fallout setting, so radiation was very important.
It wasn't a single major illness risk, it was lots of small doses building up over time. Added an interesting touch of caution to player actions.

Great idea !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Doppelgänger
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'Cause we know what we feel...
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
My first Fluffy Bunny campaign ended in a total loss to myxomatosis. Awful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ctimmins wrote:

Thanks for pointing out this game.

I had a good laugh out of it. Hilarious !

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Woodman
Canada
Coaldale
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Boo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not yet, but soon...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mavis
England
A Fine City
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. The last character death in our Hell on Earth: Reloaded campaign was due to a PC contracting a highly contagious, fast acting, deadly disease.

The PC's were investigating a ruined megaplex and discover beneath it an the abandoned secret research laboratory of a mad scientist. It is obvious that the scientist was experimenting with biological weapons. They find a door marked with a big biohazard sign and 'DO NOT ENTER: DANGER OF DEATH'.

Whilst half of the PC's are off exploring elsewhere in the complex the 'undead' PC, who is immune to any form of disease or poison, decides it would be fun to open the door. Behind the door is a room full of experimental 'plague' zombies who quickly swarm around the two PC's who are present at the door. A third PC manages to remotely shut the door again and the two surrounded PC's kill all the zombies but in the process the vulnerable PC is wounded and becomes infected. After a few minutes the PC is bleeding from multiple orifices and within a few more minutes dies a particularly gruesome death.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
This has happened a number of times in our Eclipse Phase (First Edition) game, in no small part because my character has Ph.Ds in genetics, biology, and has a love of ancient diseases.

You can read one of our episodes where curing disease was a major plot point here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.