The Hotness
Games|People|Company
Legacy of Dragonholt
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
Fiasco
She Bleeds
Waterdeep: Dragon Heist
Project Powerpunk Demo Adventure
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Princes of the Apocalypse
URC3-02: The Mystery of Mystmoor
The Solo Adventurer's Toolbox
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Dungeon World Roleplaying Game
Blades in the Dark
The Orc in the Well
Jovian Despair
Knights & Legends
Woodfall
Fantasy World Creator
Gothnog's Blasphemous Abominations: The Lich
Vampire: The Masquerade (2nd Edition)
Savage Worlds (Revised Second Edition)
Dragonlance Campaign Setting
Red Hand of Doom
Champions (First Edition)
A Spy in Isengard
Adventure Gaming (Issue 2 - Aug 1981)
Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game
Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game
The Long Arm of the Hutt
The Quiet Year
King for a Day
Beyond the Rim
The Sundered Land
The One Ring Roleplaying Game
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying: The Assembled Edition
Cold Steel Wardens
World Wide Wrestling: The Roleplaying Game
The Sprawl
Agent's Handbook
The Alchemist of Istanbul
Xanathar's Guide to Everything
Sentinel Comics: The Roleplaying Game – Starter Kit
Genesys Core Rulebook
Forbidden Lands Player's Handbook
Forbidden Lands Gamemaster's Guide
Raven's Purge
Realms of Terrinoth
Masks of Nyarlathotep (5th edition)
Legend of the Five Rings RPG: Core Rulebook
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,497 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

RPG» Forums » General Discussion » RPG Design

Subject: Alien themed short roleplay? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
after getting in the spirit of space themed horror from the newly released boardgame Nemesis, I wonder if it would work creating a somewhat short Rpg/boardgame mix up of similiar theme and setting..

Im not a roleplayer, have actually never played myself. Never found a group in my area. Altough I love the concept, and listen to many roleplay podcast. Aswell owning, Mutant year zero and Tales from the Loop.

I started thinking about s game design that is in vase an table top RPG but with some bosrdgame influence or help.

A little shorter game style, that is scenario based. Like ”Tales from the Loop” style. Think a somewhat longer movie (3-4 hours?)
The GM get a scenario, or a toolbox creating his own. You either draw your own spaceship, or have some kind of grid where you place tiles to creat a spaceship. The players grt small standies or figures that they place on the board to show where they are and so on.

You spend something like 30-45 min to creat all the characters. Taöking about what kind of person they sre etc.

Maybe get some secrets from the GM. Like secret relationships, hidden agendas etc. stuff that may mKe a twist.

I dont know much about game design, especially not RPG’s.
But I think it would be cool with a game that is a RPG, where you talk about what you do and how you react, but have influnce from games like ”Dark moon”, Battle star galactica, Doom and so on.

Or maybe this kind of stuff already exsist?

Also a choose your own adventur stuff. Based on a simialar setting to Alien would also be cool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Welcome to the world of RPG design... You might never escape. Especially once the design starts growing in your chest before bursting out onto an unsuspecting world! goo

A lot of what you're looking for have been covered in various games over the years. Random starship design, minis, secrets, relationships, hidden agendas, and all that good stuff. Not all games are going to necessarily have it all.

However, there is one game that does Aliens like games perfectly. You should check out Mothership Player's Survival Guide. It's all about the horror aspects of crawling derelict ships with a crew of reprobates "backing" you up. If you want to head in the more, blast all the bugs direction, check out 3:16 Carnage Amongst the Stars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Dee
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There's the Aliens Adventure Game from Leading Edge if you can find it. Leading Edge turns a lot of people off, but this is a simplified version of their ruleset and played a lot faster than their normal system in use. The book is worth it for the background alone, IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tolchock wrote:
I started thinking about s game design that is in vase an table top RPG but with some bosrdgame influence or help.

there are a few board games like that.

Intruder is essentially an evolving alien thing on the loose and the crew trying to handle it.

Aliens is a board game of the second movie.

GunCrawl: A game of Close Quarters Havoc was pretty much made to play out such adventures and can be played solo.

On the RPG side there are several.

Bughunters for the Amazing Engine system.

Star Frontiers can most definitly handle an alien or whatever on the loose on a ship, station or base.

And quite a few others like Traveller.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
chuckdee68 wrote:
There's the Aliens Adventure Game from Leading Edge if you can find it. Leading Edge turns a lot of people off, but this is a simplified version of their ruleset and played a lot faster than their normal system in use. The book is worth it for the background alone, IMO.

Seconded. It's a much easier game to run than Phoenix Command or Rhand:Morningstar Missions. Simpler Char Gen, too. Still, it plays crunchy.

Another, more storygame, option is 3:16: Carnage Amongst the Stars. While it's easily done as a one-shot bughunt, there is a metaplot for campaign play.

While not focused upon the aliens front, Era Ten is a good option - fast to play, fast to generate, and it can do the Alien hunt with the core material. Specifically, Battle Born is the "Marines in power armor" chunk, and it can easily be used to do an Aliens session, and then go further afield.

If you like the Apocalypse World Engine, Burning Wheel HQ has an unlicensed freebie at https://www.burningwheel.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/CM-r... - I can attest only to the writing; I've not run/played it.

If you're a Classic Traveller fan, JTAS #4, page 26, has the "Reticulan Parasite" article, providing the stats for the Aliens in CT terms.

Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game may be a card game, but it's character focused and plays well with groups; I don't know if it will scratch the itch, but it's real easy to slip into RP mode by simply narrating the actions for your card, rather than just playing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Dee
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When you brought up Burning Wheel, it reminded me of one of my favorite Burning type games - Burning Empire (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/50260/Burning-Empires). There's a wealth of good information as it's based on the excellent Iron Empires comic series by Christopher Moeller, and the background of the game is plain creepy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
chuckdee68 wrote:
When you brought up Burning Wheel, it reminded me of one of my favorite Burning type games - Burning Empire (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/50260/Burning-Empires). There's a wealth of good information as it's based on the excellent Iron Empires comic series by Christopher Moeller, and the background of the game is plain creepy.
yes, it's a great game, but it's essentially Stargate + Traveller... (source: Chris Moeller) Not Aliens, nor easily rethemed to aliens, especially given the combat mechanics.

And it's not intended for short-form, either.

All of which is why I didn't suggest it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.