Hoard of the Dragon Queen
Tech Support
Escape the Underdark
Dark Elves' Lair
The Great Pendragon Campaign
The Space Gamer (Issue 15 - Jan 1978)
Drunken Bear Fighter
Tales from the Loop: GM Screen
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
Realms of Terrinoth
Into the Jungle
RuneQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha
Forbidden Knowledge
Mutants & Marvels 1.0
Book 01: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain
Book 04: Starship Traveller
Book 05: City of Thieves
Book 01: Dungeon of Dread
Masque of the Red Death and Other Tales
Griffin Mountain
The SKETCH System Core Rulebook
Dragon (Issue 72 - Apr 1983)
Heart of Ice
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box
Dark Heresy Second Edition Core Rulebook
Fragged Empire: Core Rule Book
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Monster Manual (D&D 5e)
Dungeon Master's Guide (D&D 5e)
Blades in the Dark
Volo's Guide to Monsters
Orbital 2100
Tales from the Loop
Tales from the Loop: Map
Tomb of Annihilation
Ironsworn
Shattered: A Grimdark RPG
Mothership Player's Survival Guide
Pathfinder #136: Temple of the Peacock Spirit
Pathfinder #137: The City Outside of Time
Rangers of Shadow Deep: A Tabletop Adventure Game
Android: Shadow of the Beanstalk
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,199 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

RPG» Forums » Community » The Tavern

Subject: Soccer Injuries rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Is it me or are soccer injuries are that bad? Is it just acting or is it legit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McGeorge
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey you kids, get off my Avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoffreyB wrote:
Is it just acting or is it legit?

Sometimes it is acting (aka diving or simulation). Sometimes it's embellishment. Sometimes it's legit.

While soccer is the sport most often ridiculed for the practice, it's everywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Savage Josh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brumcg wrote:
GeoffreyB wrote:
Is it just acting or is it legit?

Sometimes it is acting (aka diving or simulation). Sometimes it's embellishment. Sometimes it's legit.

While soccer is the sport most often ridiculed for the practice, it's everywhere.

I'm not sure how the Refs don't die from paper cuts from the cards they gotta throw
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
msg tools
badge
I think there’s an easy fix: any injury so severe that it stops play requires that the injured player sit out for the rest of the game.

Since, if they’re really hurt that badly, they should be resting to prevent further injury.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McGeorge
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dysjunct wrote:
I think there’s an easy fix

Madness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dysjunct wrote:
I think there’s an easy fix: any injury so severe that it stops play requires that the injured player sit out for the rest of the game.

Since, if they’re really hurt that badly, they should be resting to prevent further injury.

I'm not sure additional incentive to injure the other team's best players is really needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Southall
United Kingdom
Norwich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's nothing like the good old days, when Vinnie Jones would drive a large Mercedes to a fight and occasionally a game of football would break out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is the gentleman with the BroStache invited to this party?
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, there's a lot of acting at the professional level because the reward for earning a free kick is much greater than embarrassing yourself by overreacting to barely getting touched.

Looking at last Summer's World Cup, 42% of goals were scored off of set plays or set-pieces (free kicks, corner kicks, and penalties). For comparison, that was the highest ever: 1998 (36%), 2002 (29%), 2014 (27%), 2010 (24%). Basically professional players have gotten much better offensively from a set play. If you know that 30 - 40% of your goals are going to come from a set-piece, it certainly benefits you to attempt to "earn a foul call."

You notice I said "at the professional level" in the first sentence. That's because at that level, the players are so good the earning a free kick or penalty from "flailing" on a foul offers tremendous chance to score rather than simply attempting to score through the course of play. Kids and high schoolers just flail and act because they see it on TV. They'r not going to score from 35 yards out.

All that being said, I did play soccer from age 5 - 18, and when someone kicks you hard or pushes you down, it does hurt. Often times it hurts a lot. You're not wearing any pads except for shin guards. But it does go away pretty quick by walking it off. Still, you're going to react when someone steps on your toe or heal while you're running full speed.

One time as a sophomore in high school, I had a knee-to-knee collision with the goalie and it was probably the most painful thing that had happened to me in my life to that point. In my mind, I thought I had fractured my kneecap. I definitely rolled on the ground in pain. My teammates even scored on the play, but the ref called it back and gave our team a free kick where I fell (Probably due to my legitimate antics.) Interestingly enough, my knee stopped hurting within 5 - 10 minutes and I was good to go. (I also felt pretty foolish.)

So there you have it. The acting on fouls is (unfortunately) part of the game. But know that the higher end federations are trying to clean that up. They know fans don't want to see idiots rolling around on the ground (nor do they want to see players getting fouled or injured). People want to see good soccer actually being played. Therefore, referees are being trained to not be fooled by flagrant acting, and even use the Video Assistant Referee (VAR) to verify if there was a legitimate foul or not. Players can get a yellow card for flailing.

Hopefully the acting diminishes over the years because it's stupid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmb
Compare this to pro cycling. Dudes will get up and race with broke bones, missing teeth, concussion, whatever. Soccer falls are 99% bad acting for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
msg tools
badge
E Decker wrote:
dysjunct wrote:

I'm not sure additional incentive to injure the other team's best players is really needed.

This also has an easy fix. I first saw this proposed for American Football but it would work for Association Football as well:

Before the game, each coach submits a ranked list of players to the head referee. (E.g. your best player is #1, second is #2, and so on to the end of your roster.
If one of team A’s players leaves due to injury, then team B must permanently remove (for the rest of the game) one of their players of an equal or higher rank than the player on team A.

So if you take out the other team’s star player, you lose your own as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McGeorge
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dysjunct wrote:
This also has an easy fix.

More madness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
I play football on Mondays, just a friendly kick around, and you wouldn't believe the number of injuries we get

But yeah, as for professional footballers and their over-reactions to the slightest knock - it does my head in and is the main reason I could never get into watching football in a serious way. Rugby all the way for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Always in season
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've posted this elsewhere, but it's soooo good:

There's no easy answer to this, despite dysjunct's breezy solution. Players get injured in contact sports (and, yes, soccer is a contact sport) all the time. Usually it's something you can work out in a minute or two; in American football, the game stops constantly to allow that, or you can substitute out. In soccer, the clock keeps going, and once you sub out you are out for good. If I'm a player who rolls an ankle, or gets tackled spikes-up, I need a few minutes to recover.

Worse, if there's a head-to-head collision, the game needs to stop to protect the players. That's a lesson we've certainly learned from American football!

That said, the acting is very aggravating. It's the #2 reason my wife dislikes soccer (#1 being over-intense parents at games for six-year olds...).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.