The Hotness
Games|People|Company
Legacy of Dragonholt
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
Fiasco
She Bleeds
Waterdeep: Dragon Heist
Project Powerpunk Demo Adventure
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Princes of the Apocalypse
URC3-02: The Mystery of Mystmoor
The Solo Adventurer's Toolbox
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Dungeon World Roleplaying Game
Blades in the Dark
The Orc in the Well
Jovian Despair
Knights & Legends
Woodfall
Fantasy World Creator
Gothnog's Blasphemous Abominations: The Lich
Vampire: The Masquerade (2nd Edition)
Savage Worlds (Revised Second Edition)
Dragonlance Campaign Setting
Red Hand of Doom
Champions (First Edition)
A Spy in Isengard
Adventure Gaming (Issue 2 - Aug 1981)
Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game
Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game
The Long Arm of the Hutt
The Quiet Year
King for a Day
Beyond the Rim
The Sundered Land
The One Ring Roleplaying Game
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying: The Assembled Edition
Cold Steel Wardens
World Wide Wrestling: The Roleplaying Game
The Sprawl
Agent's Handbook
The Alchemist of Istanbul
Xanathar's Guide to Everything
Sentinel Comics: The Roleplaying Game – Starter Kit
Genesys Core Rulebook
Forbidden Lands Player's Handbook
Forbidden Lands Gamemaster's Guide
Raven's Purge
Realms of Terrinoth
Masks of Nyarlathotep (5th edition)
Legend of the Five Rings RPG: Core Rulebook
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,506 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A question suggested by

The Ry
New Zealand
Henderson
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

If you could play an RPG at any place in any current time or in the past, where would you play and why would you want to play there?

Do you have a question you want asked as QOTD? Post here!

And if you want to find an old QOTD: The big QOTD Summary and Subscription Thread Volume 3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Curato
France
Albi
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would play in an Egyptian tomb and lengthily explain our game to the people decorating the place. Possibly involve the owner while he still lives.

Then I would go back to my time and couch, and happily watch a TV doc about the strange scenes and pictures on the walls of a recently unearthed tomb.

Either this, or play on the Mary Celeste just before its crew disappeared, so that the boarding crew will find "coke still fizzling and dice still rolling". (I know, false story)

more seriously, I would ask for a first-class ticket on a 1920s liner and spend two weeks playing on the Atlantic, or even longer on the Pacific.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Robben
Belgium
Antwerp
Antwerp
flag msg tools
And here...
badge
I should really add something smart and sparkly here.
mbmbmbmbmb
ISS.

'cause weightless...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McGeorge
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey you kids, get off my Avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
This has turned out to be a thought provoking question for me. I wasn't ready to think this early.

Let's try this...

I'd go back to my parents' basement any of those bajillion times we played Talisman instead of an RPG. Two reasons.

First, while we had fun with Talisman back in the day (take a drink), it's a pretty terrible game. Sure, sure... hindsight is awesome.

Second, those were my opportunities to run something. My bad habits formed early. I would lose confidence in the games I was running and would bail. If, instead, I had forged ahead and run more stuff, well, with practice comes confidence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Benevolentgamemaster wrote:
ISS.

'cause weightless...

How would you determine dice rolls?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
I would go back to when Nigel Findley was still alive and play Shadowrun with him because he was one of the original writers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Azukail Games
msg tools
designer
publisher
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
mbmbmbmbmb
mawilson4 wrote:
ISS.

'cause weightless...

There's an app for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Azukail wrote:
mawilson4 wrote:
ISS.

'cause weightless...

There's an app for that.

Bah, nonsense! How would you determine dice rolls with actual dice, like RPGs are meant to be played?!

I'm being sarcastic, of course, but I'm actually trying to figure out a fair way to do rolls in space without an app. An interesting problem...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Dee
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mawilson4 wrote:

Bah, nonsense! How would you determine dice rolls with actual dice, like RPGs are meant to be played?!

I'm being sarcastic, of course, but I'm actually trying to figure out a fair way to do rolls in space without an app. An interesting problem...

One word. Magnets. Ok, two more... Metal Dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Curato
France
Albi
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mawilson4 wrote:

Use magnetic dice near a metallic surface (or the opposite). Spin the die in the air before blowing it softly toward the panel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Lee
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brumcg wrote:
I'd go back to my parents' basement any of those bajillion times we played Talisman instead of an RPG.

Yeah, my immediate thought was to go back and run something for my younger self. Like a lot of folks, I kind of learned how to play RPGs in tandem with my friends, and we didn't have anyone else to model what other possibilities there were for that kind of play. There's value to that, too, but it would have been nice to see what a focused and, uh, socially functional game looked like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lawing
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a nostalgia for a time before I was old enough to experience things (I'm 31). I'd like to go back to the early days of DND and experience it in that form. That pure dungeon exploration, no frills state without the knowledge or want for the full story. To see what it was like firsthand.

To take it a step further, playing in a game with Gygax and Arneson would be wild. Especially to get to explore these places we've heard about but that never made it to press as a fully compiled adventure/map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Abbott
Canada
GTA
of Confusion
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Back to the early 80s into the basement of the guy who got me into RPGs.

Where the pool table rails kept our dice from rolling onto the floor, and the felt surface protected the dice’ edges and miniature’s paint from chipping.

When we didn’t know all of the various monster’s stats & weaknesses, and hadn’t yet been told that we were “doing it wrong”.

Before the time when members of our merry band dispersed to different cities and countries, or reached the farthest shore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Doppelgänger
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'Cause we know what we feel...
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably on the wide deck of the Ark after it'd stopped raining. All the jerks were dead (hence, not in the game). Probably a nice, glassy sea. Nothing to do but float around for a long time - no distractions - do the game. Probably a good breeze to keep the animal stink wafted away.

Then again, no Mtn. Dew...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With all due respect to RPGers, if I could be any place at any time, I wouldn't be playing an RPG there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebus Carnival
United States
Da Burbz
DC METRO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oh, you can stand it alright.
mbmbmb
Any Current Time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them."
mbmbmbmbmb
At Jack Chick's house, but only if I could have some of my Catholic and Mormon friends play with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
In a quiet smokey bar in Cuba surrounded by tables of old men playing dominoes. I just finished my novel and am reminiscing with old friends from School after a full day fishing for drum. I light a Cohiba, and down my second shot of Añejo, pull out paper, pencils, rule book, and a leather bag of dice and exclaim..."Gentlemen, it's time to get our mental juices stirring with a session of Call of Cthulhu. The place, Cairo, 1924. You are all mulling over a small papyrus that little Hadyid delivered to you from the latest dig. One of you notice the symbol of Krang. Impossible, you think...and go.". Your fiends smile and I order another round. It's going to be a good evening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I would go back in time to the early 80's and play again for the first time my very first ever RPG:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerry B.
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mallet wrote:

I would go back in time to the early 80's and play again for the first time my very first ever RPG:

Never heard of it. Is there a Kickstarter or something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to play an RPG with HG Wells. I think 1889 would be right up his alley thematically. So might Star Wars; I know the idea of dice shaping a story isn't entirely outside his phronema based upon how he relates the results of playing miniatures games.

mawilson4 wrote:
ISS.

'cause weightless...

Steel dice spun and landed on a magnetic plate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
Greece
Marousi
Athens
flag msg tools
Game on!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karkared wrote:
mawilson4 wrote:

Use magnetic dice near a metallic surface (or the opposite). Spin the die in the air before blowing it softly toward the panel.

A kickstarter sooner or later, I guess
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I would change history just for the sake of playing an RPG in an "authentic" setting (depending on the game)... I mean, wouldn't going back in time to say, ancient Egypt, basically be a high-stakes LARP where you can't speak because you'd give yourself away? As thrilling as that sounds, I'm a fan of modern medicine, not to mention I have no idea how we'd get back from the past...

I like the current amount of gaming I've been doing - though I would like work to be slightly less busy so I have more time to post during the day (I'm at work right now, sadly).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:

not to mention I have no idea how we'd get back from the past...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.