The Hotness
Games|People|Company
Legacy of Dragonholt
The Elf Archaeologists Are Saying Hurtful Things About Your Skeleton
Paranoia: Red Clearance Edition
StoryCube: The Roleplaying Game
Steve Jackson's Sorcery! Bundled Set
Call of Cthulhu Starter Set
The Curse of Katiki-Mu
Hoard of the Dragon Queen
Rockalypse
Waterdeep: Dragon Heist
Android: Shadow of the Beanstalk
Magic Cards
Rêve de Dragon, jeu de rôle d'Onirique Fantasy (Third Edition)
Bean! The D2 RPG (Second Edition)
Tales from the Loop
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
Escape the Underdark
Mothership Player's Survival Guide
Odd Soot
Realm of Chaos: The Lost and the Damned
Masks of Nyarlathotep (3rd & 4th edition)
Universe (2nd Edition)
The Drenslaar Quest
Old School Reference and Index Compilation (OSRIC) v2
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Core Set
Polyhedron (Issue 11 - Mar 1983)
Black Fire Pass
Tome of Adventure Design
Pathfinder Pawns: Bestiary Box
Numenera
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Tech Support
Doors to Darkness
Genesys Core Rulebook
Realms of Terrinoth
Ironsworn
Shattered: A Grimdark RPG
Masks of Nyarlathotep (5th edition)
The Solo Adventurer's Toolbox
Ubersreik Adventures: If Looks Could Kill
Project Powerpunk Demo Adventure
Chopsticks and Dropkicks / 37th Chamber of Shaolin
Yaztromo 35mm Figure
Star Frontiers
Mutants & Masterminds Second Edition
Unearthed Arcana
A Penny for My Thoughts
GURPS High-Tech (Fourth Edition)
BSOLO: Ghost of Lion Castle
In The Labyrinth
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,388 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
22 
 Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

RPG» Forums » Site Related » RPGGeek News

Subject: 2018 24 Hour RPG Contest - RESULTS rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: 24-hour_rpg [+] [View All]
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The voting is done and the results are in. Drumroll, please.....

In fourth place, adularia25 for The Dreamships of Karthan Roh.

In third place, sdonohue for Backyard Bullies.

In second place, regency_rhi for Austen: The Promenading.

And this year's winning entry purplewurple for The Curious Mansion!

I should note that the voting at the top was very close, and I'll make an honorable mention for Convocation of Zwołanie, which just missed placing in the top four. It was really, really close at the end.

Congratulations to all of our entrants. I'm planning to write reviews of a couple of notable entrants in the coming days, and I'd encourage you to do the same. And I'll have some commentary on the votes later on in this thread.
24 
 Thumb up
2.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
whiskey tango foxtrot
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
One Overtext To Rule Them All
badge
One Overtext To Rule Them All
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome!

...

so, when's the next one?
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"All history is made up. Good history is made up by good historians; bad history is made up by the others." -David Macaulay
badge
When I retired, I decided to explore the Seven Deadly Sins. Perhaps I shouldn't have started with Sloth. It's been four years and that's as far as I've gotten.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent results, congrats to the winners!
17 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cocuzzi wrote:
so, when's the next one?


In a year.

However, I've put a reminder on my calendar for April. We'll do the 24 hour RPG supplement contest then.
17 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Doppelgänger
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'Cause we know what we feel...
badge
I'm #2
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats to the winners - well deserved. Fun contest, too. Thanks all for the good times.
15 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Man Unmasked
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
www.inkshares.com/books/the-professional-corpse
badge
My Prepping to Publish Happy Dance
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations! Some excellent entries and deserving winners!
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey! Stop poking me!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Congrats to the winners!
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lawing
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats everyone! This was a fun learning experience.
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Always in season
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations to the winners, and to everyone who entered!
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
robbbbbb wrote:
The voting is done and the results are in. Drumroll, please.....

In fourth place, adularia25 for The Dreamships of Karthan Roh.

In third place, sdonohue for Backyard Bullies.

In second place, regency_rhi for Austen: The Promenading.

And this year's winning entry purplewurple for The Curious Mansion!

I should note that the voting at the top was very close, and I'll make an honorable mention for Convocation of Zwołanie, which just missed placing in the top four. It was really, really close at the end.

Congratulations to all of our entrants. I'm planning to write reviews of a couple of notable entrants in the coming days, and I'd encourage you to do the same. And I'll have some commentary on the votes later on in this thread.


Thanks for running this contest and to all of the contestants! I have been inspired by them!

I enjoyed these selections...especially The Dreamships of Karthan Roh and Austen: The Promenading which were high ranking on my list. Personally, I was disappointed not to see either the Weave or In the Dark Place in the top 4 though. I really like these two as well.
17 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have made it a policy over the years to not comment on where each of the entrants finished, aside from the top 4. I bent that this year because Convocation of Zwolanie was so close to a top four finish that I felt it deserved mention. So I won't be saying who finished in 6th-17th place.

That said, the best way you can talk about entries that you thought deserved mention, and to draw attention to them, is to write reviews on them and start dialogues with the creator and your fellow geeks. I know that I'm interested to see a critical review of Grunts and Gore, and see what my fellow geeks did and didn't like about it.
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So, a few tidbits about the voting:

We received twenty-three votes. Eleven entries received a first place vote.

No ballot had all four of the top finishers. Two ballots named three of the top four finishers. Not every ballot included one of the top four finishers; one ballot did not include any of the top four finishers in the top four positions.

I've built a spreadsheet to track the voting (of which I'm quite proud). It keeps the actual election votes up-to-the-minute. This year's results were very unstable. The top finishers were all very close, and results wobbled back and forth quite a bit as the voting came in.

This is the first year I had an entry in, and so watching as the votes moved the entries around was more interesting than usual. And there was a lot of movement all over the results this year. Of the three years I've done this, I think the results were more tightly spaced this year than in any other year.

Look to the spring, when I hope to run a 24 hour contest for an RPG supplement.
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teh Slipperboy
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Avatar
I a m very honored to have finished third. I did not have Backyard Bullies nearly that high in my ranking.

Thanks to Rob, all the entrants and of course, the voters. Another great year of new games!
18 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knock knock open up the door it's Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
It's wurples all the way down.
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to all who voted, and congratulations to all who entered!

I'm incredibly honored and thrilled that people liked my design. Thanks for running the contest, Robb!
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Rees
South Korea
Daegu
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations to everyone.

Boy was that a tough contest.
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn McCarthy
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
designer
https://rpggeek.com/blog/6320
badge
Avatar
mb
Congrats Purple (Riel?) and Rhi and Steve and Caroline and everyone!

Inkwan wrote:
...
Personally, I was disappointed not to see either the Weave or In the Dark Place in the top 4 though. I really like these two as well.


And thanks Inkwan! I honestly think The Weave is my best 24/48 offering to date.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhiannon D
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
Crafts keep me sane.
badge
New recruit to the spoonie army.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that was amazing, I did not expect to finish 2nd! Thanks to all who voted. It was so nice to get back to writing something after a long break.
I enjoyed many of the entries as well, such a variety. And some people with some kickarse layout skills. I seem to remember I said exactly the same thing and vowed to upskill in that area after the 2012 competition!

shawnssica wrote:

Inkwan wrote:
... Personally, I was disappointed not to see either the Weave or In the Dark Place in the top 4 though. I really like these two as well.


And thanks Inkwan! I honestly think The Weave is my best 24/48 offering to date.


I agree, I had both The Weave and In a Dark Place in my top four. The Weave had some very interesting ideas.
17 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Cool, congrats to all! I'm a bit sad I didn't get around to reading/voting. I'll try to rectify that in the coming months, because I'm genuinely interested in the submissions.
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Great results! I'm really happy to have read them all and voted in this; a fantastic initiative.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
robbbbbb wrote:
So, a few tidbits about the voting:

We received twenty-three votes. Eleven entries received a first place vote.

No ballot had all four of the top finishers. Two ballots named three of the top four finishers. Not every ballot included one of the top four finishers; one ballot did not include any of the top four finishers in the top four positions.

I've built a spreadsheet to track the voting (of which I'm quite proud). It keeps the actual election votes up-to-the-minute. This year's results were very unstable. The top finishers were all very close, and results wobbled back and forth quite a bit as the voting came in.

This is the first year I had an entry in, and so watching as the votes moved the entries around was more interesting than usual. And there was a lot of movement all over the results this year. Of the three years I've done this, I think the results were more tightly spaced this year than in any other year.

Look to the spring, when I hope to run a 24 hour contest for an RPG supplement.


Thanks also for introducing me to a less intuitive but more moderate method of voting! I live near Chicago and they introduced this in the city alderman race but I had no idea how that worked (and neither did 90% of the voters, I suspect).
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lawing
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope to see some of these coming up on the PbF forum soon! I'm a little overextended right now, but in the new year, I'd like to run a few of these.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh wow, thanks! This is the highest I've ever placed since I started doing these in 2014! surprise

Congrats to all the winners!
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn McCarthy
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
designer
https://rpggeek.com/blog/6320
badge
Avatar
mb
regency_rhi wrote:


I agree, I had both The Weave and In a Dark Place in my top four. The Weave had some very interesting ideas.


Aw thanks Rhi!

I've come to terms with the fact that I write games that resonate with particular people. Next year's plan: a pervasive ARG/LARP that's all about recruiting people to join RPGG and vote for it.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.