The Hotness
Games|People|Company
Legacy of Dragonholt
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
Fiasco
She Bleeds
Waterdeep: Dragon Heist
Project Powerpunk Demo Adventure
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Princes of the Apocalypse
URC3-02: The Mystery of Mystmoor
The Solo Adventurer's Toolbox
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Dungeon World Roleplaying Game
Blades in the Dark
The Orc in the Well
Jovian Despair
Knights & Legends
Woodfall
Fantasy World Creator
Gothnog's Blasphemous Abominations: The Lich
Vampire: The Masquerade (2nd Edition)
Savage Worlds (Revised Second Edition)
Dragonlance Campaign Setting
Red Hand of Doom
Champions (First Edition)
A Spy in Isengard
Adventure Gaming (Issue 2 - Aug 1981)
Dungeon Crawl Classics Role Playing Game
Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game
The Long Arm of the Hutt
The Quiet Year
King for a Day
Beyond the Rim
The Sundered Land
The One Ring Roleplaying Game
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying: The Assembled Edition
Cold Steel Wardens
World Wide Wrestling: The Roleplaying Game
The Sprawl
Agent's Handbook
The Alchemist of Istanbul
Xanathar's Guide to Everything
Sentinel Comics: The Roleplaying Game – Starter Kit
Genesys Core Rulebook
Forbidden Lands Player's Handbook
Forbidden Lands Gamemaster's Guide
Raven's Purge
Realms of Terrinoth
Masks of Nyarlathotep (5th edition)
Legend of the Five Rings RPG: Core Rulebook
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,494 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

RPG» Forums » General Discussion » General Role-Playing

Subject: Images for characters? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Players often like to have pictures of their characters. Do you have any good references for finding images of characters that are copyright free? I've used images found with basic search, but I'd like to not rely on that.

Things like pixabay seem good for photos, but characters probably require illustration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Messersmith
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
admin
designer
With your head held high and your scarlet lies You came down to me from the open skies It's either real or it's a dream There's nothing that is in between
badge
Twilight, I only meant to stay awhile Twilight, I gave you time to steal my mind Away from me.
mbmbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:
Players often like to have pictures of their characters. Do you have any good references for finding images of characters that are copyright free? I've used images found with basic search, but I'd like to not rely on that.

Things like pixabay seem good for photos, but characters probably require illustration.
This is tricky, I've never found a good single source for such things. I usually use google searches for a phrase similar to the character, like "woman warrior in armor with pole arm" and then work from there. A sad thing is that any such phrase with the word "woman" in it gets NSFW pretty quickly.

I do find Pinterest is pretty useful, however, if you can "prime" it with images that are in the ballpark of what you are looking for. As you add more images to a particular Pinterest page the image recommendations tend to get better and better for new images. This can work with single characters, but can also work with campaign ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Doppelgänger
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'Cause we know what we feel...
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a general resource thread (not character specific):

Artwork Under Free Licenses (e.g. Creative Commons or Public Domain)

You'll see some free character art products on DriveThru once in a while. Stuff like "108 Terrible Character Portraits". They're not so terrible.

And others are compilations of images for lower prices. I can't speak to quality but there's likely all kinds. If you search e.g. jeshields on DriveThru you'll see tons of options. The spendy ones come with a commercial license (doesn't sound like you need that, though).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel
Poland
Valley of Dragons
flag msg tools
Dragon horns
badge
The Dragon
mbmb
I once used this Creative Commons pack for PBFs:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mungo/60-terrible-chara...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Woodman
Canada
Coaldale
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Boo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mostly I draw my own and have taken a few commissions here to do a character illustration or two for others. (You can search my gallery if you like.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
msg tools
badge
Why copyright free; are you going to publish them?

I usually do a photo search for “silent film stars” and use whatever. Most of the greats from that era, even the marquee names, are now unknown to almost all modern players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john Whyte
New Zealand
Hamilton
None
flag msg tools
designer
Whoever the five of you are who nominated me for Citizen Recognition I am truly touched
mbmbmbmbmb
dysjunct wrote:

I usually do a photo search for “silent film stars” and use whatever. Most of the greats from that era, even the marquee names, are now unknown to almost all modern players.

This, I'm pretty sure printing out / using in an electronic game constitutes fair use.

If you want feel free to browse and link my gallery, I have a number of NPCs I've uploaded there from PbFs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Silva
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Collages with magazines or digital may work, you can also use collage as a model to trace (digital or analog)

Artists will not be frustrated if you link to their own pages: links, shares, clicks and likes are 2018 artists best friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Unsplash and Pixabay, but I use those more for things like backgrounds and setting, not characters.

There's always Fiverr, where you could find a reasonably cheap character artist willing to make things for $5-10 a pop. The only issue is that anything terribly detailed or professional-looking is going to cost more than that, sometimes significantly more. But nearly everything you commission will come with full commercial rights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Messersmith
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
admin
designer
With your head held high and your scarlet lies You came down to me from the open skies It's either real or it's a dream There's nothing that is in between
badge
Twilight, I only meant to stay awhile Twilight, I gave you time to steal my mind Away from me.
mbmbmbmbmb
dysjunct wrote:

THE SHADOW OF THE VULTURE!

Directed by King Vidor

From a story by Robert E. Howard

Starring Mary Pickford as Red Sonya, Ramon Navarro as Von Kalmbach, and Francis X Bushman as Mikhal Oglu.

Featuring Strongheart as Red Sonya's faithful friend Sabre!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
dysjunct wrote:

I have a cross functional project that requires the art used to not be "liberated". So, "yes", though odds are small.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Azukail Games
msg tools
designer
publisher
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Larry Elmore released some of his portraits for use. I have seen them used in commercial projects too. For the life of me, I cannot remember where you can get them from though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.