Steve Jackson's Sorcery! Bundled Set
Call of Cthulhu Starter Set
The Curse of Katiki-Mu
Hoard of the Dragon Queen
Rockalypse
Waterdeep: Dragon Heist
Android: Shadow of the Beanstalk
Magic Cards
Rêve de Dragon, jeu de rôle d'Onirique Fantasy (Third Edition)
Bean! The D2 RPG (Second Edition)
Tales from the Loop
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
Escape the Underdark
Mothership Player's Survival Guide
Odd Soot
Realm of Chaos: The Lost and the Damned
Masks of Nyarlathotep (3rd & 4th edition)
Universe (2nd Edition)
The Drenslaar Quest
Old School Reference and Index Compilation (OSRIC) v2
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Core Set
Polyhedron (Issue 11 - Mar 1983)
Black Fire Pass
Tome of Adventure Design
Pathfinder Pawns: Bestiary Box
Numenera
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Tech Support
Doors to Darkness
Genesys Core Rulebook
Realms of Terrinoth
Ironsworn
Shattered: A Grimdark RPG
Masks of Nyarlathotep (5th edition)
The Solo Adventurer's Toolbox
Ubersreik Adventures: If Looks Could Kill
Project Powerpunk Demo Adventure
Chopsticks and Dropkicks / 37th Chamber of Shaolin
Yaztromo 35mm Figure
Star Frontiers
Mutants & Masterminds Second Edition
Unearthed Arcana
A Penny for My Thoughts
GURPS High-Tech (Fourth Edition)
BSOLO: Ghost of Lion Castle
In The Labyrinth
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,404 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A question suggested by

Alain Curato
France
Albi
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

What is the one best thing about being a nerd/geek like we mostly are?

What is the one worst thing?

Do you have a question you want asked as QOTD? Post here!

And if you want to find an old QOTD: The big QOTD Summary and Subscription Thread Volume 3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Curato
France
Albi
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's being able to read almost any book, or jump into nearly conversation, whatever the level, and understand at least a bit of it (as long as it is not maths or advanced physics).

Sometimes I can participate, maybe offer advice. I might also end up being wrong, but the result is always instructive, and often fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
badge
Made you look!
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost everyone is a geek of some type. We're a diverse bunch. RPG geeks. Board game geeks. Video game geeks. Car geeks. Fitness geeks. Fashion geeks. The list goes on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebus Carnival
United States
Da Burbz
DC METRO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oh, you can stand it alright.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a cool kid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Knowing you are in good company...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
The best thing about being a nerd is the piles and piles of money I make.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Robben
Belgium
Antwerp
Antwerp
flag msg tools
And here...
badge
I should really add something smart and sparkly here.
mbmbmbmbmb
We tend to be smart. Smart means marketable skills. AKA money to spend on geeking out...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
We tend to be smart. But intelligence is - at best - only loosely correlated with income level across various studies on the subject. AKA I'm not sure there's a takeaway here.

Putting aside the gentle ribbing of some posts above me, it's probably more good than bad. I've been told to hide the fact that I attend Ren. Faires for the sake of my career, had a girl break up with me bc I play(ed) WoW, and have had more than a few condescending smile/nod combos from those who are involved in more "serious" endeavors and personal projects. But I've also cultivated passions across the majority of my lifetime, discovered mediums of artistic endeavor that I wouldn't have otherwise, and have a robust network of friends as a result of my "nerd" hobbies.

So there. My least and most favorite aspects. Cheers, fellow geeks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
rebuscarnival wrote:
I'm a cool kid.

...if I get nit-picky, I'm actually not a huge fan of the message the video sends, which seems to just trade one form of belittling for another. But I don't think it's meant to be taken too seriously, and it's catchy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Geeks and nerds are two different categories, with some overlap, however.

The main advantage for me is that I find that all topics under the sun can be found to have an interesting aspect, either within the topic itself, or how it connects with other topics.

You can always learn something new every day if you have an open mind.

cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Lee
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oof. I actually have a cordial dislike for "nerd" or "geek" as an identity. At its best, I think it signals that someone has a generous, openhearted, infectious enthusiasm for something they enjoy - but I think it's important to realize that almost everyone has something they could love in that way. At its worst, unfortunately, I think it's been an excuse for gatekeeping and snobbery, which we've seen more and more of in recent years...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
The company of others with similar interests. Fellowship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
msg tools
badge
Best: growing up in a subculture that prioritized knowledge and deep learning.

Worst: as Harry mentions, the gatekeeping that’s grown up around the subculture as it’s become more mainstream.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EnricPDX wrote:
Oof. I actually have a cordial dislike for "nerd" or "geek" as an identity. At its best, I think it signals that someone has a generous, openhearted, infectious enthusiasm for something they enjoy - but I think it's important to realize that almost everyone has something they could love in that way. At its worst, unfortunately, I think it's been an excuse for gatekeeping and snobbery, which we've seen more and more of in recent years...

My Arnis de Mano (filipino stick and knife fighting) instructor is a tatted-up Harley-Davidson motorcycle mechanic who would have no idea what to do with a computer, would probably be amazed at the sight of a 12 or 20-sided die, and likely could not emotionally comprehend even the idea of an RPG. Yet, he refers to himself and others in our group as martial arts geeks because of our deep knowledge of our and other systems, our tendency to discuss minutia of technique, and a general, deep and abiding love of knowing how to beat the crap out of people.

We're an odd bunch...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Learning, always learning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Having a higher intelligence quotient than most other people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pdzoch wrote:

" like we mostly are? "

What is the one worst thing?

I had to think a bit to identify a "worst thing".

One I thing I have noticed, after having been on RPG Geek for a year now, is that there appears to be a higher proportion of "thin-skinned" individuals, compared to other forums on BGG.

Specifically, people who are very quick to be greatly offended at the smallest slight, either real, or, much more often, imaginary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoffreyB wrote:
Having a higher intelligence quotient than most other people.

Speak for yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
I actually wonder if the intelligence thing has any merit. I'm familiar with studies that track intelligence and other variables, like religious adherence, income levels, etc. But - as nebulous as "geek/nerd" can be - aren't we just patting ourselves on the back without any empirical justification? The humor columnist Dave Barry used to be fond of saying that every driver thinks they're an above average driver, but half of them have to be wrong. And anecdotally, I'm not sure I can make the claim. Insofar as most of the gamers I know are college-educated, sure, they're likely above average intelligence. But I'm not really sure it has anything to do with being geeks specifically. I'd put money on my coworkers having higher average intelligence than my gamer friends, for example (with no slight intended to the many smart gamer-friends I have) and there are only maybe a handful of "geeks" in the office, by any coherent definition, out of ~150 employees.

Happy to be proven wrong myself, mind you; I'd be delighted to see data on the subject. I'm just not sure any exists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McGeorge
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey you kids, get off my Avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mallet wrote:
One I thing I have noticed, after having been on RPG Geek for a year now, is that there appears to be a higher proportion of "thin-skinned" individuals, compared to other forums on BGG.

Specifically, people who are very quick to be greatly offended at the smallest slight, either real, or, much more often, imaginary.

We must be going to different parts of BGG...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not know if there was a best thing about being labeled either. I was who I was, did the things I wanted to do, and had friends that I enjoyed hanging out with. Geek, nerd, or not. I straddled several circles in college: jocks, social clubs, leadership positions, arts, several academic clubs (sciences and liberal arts), and gaming of several types. Each came with a label or two and I do not recall any off them conferring a benefit over another.

I'm glad that geek may be considered chic now, and I am glad that some geek hobbies are becoming mainstream.

But I've never considered myself a geek or nerd even if many of my hobbies have caused others to label me as such.

I think the worst thing is that it (geek/nerd life hobbies) has NOT been as accepted as much as it pretends. My career field is filled with alpha types who all share common conception of manliness and professional traits. Gaming is not one of them, and definitely not role play gaming. So, I keep that hidden from my co-workers, supervisors, and subordinates. Which is a shame. I am not labeled or perceived as a geek or nerd, but I have often be called a wonk. Somehow, I am a little proud of that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
brumcg wrote:
Mallet wrote:

We must be going to different parts of BGG...

Yeah, the RPG side is chill as hell compared to the internet at large. Imo, at least. It's nice.

I've seen some heavy-handed gatekeeping over on the BGG side, including when I first joined. Which sucks. But you also have to take these things in context, i.e. internet discussion boards. A board doesn't exist without some less-than-ideal elements to it. On the whole, I think the mods do a very good job. But individual experiences may vary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teh Slipperboy
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Mallet wrote:

I'm pretty sure I've made this list over a poll posted last year.

I'm not offended. I'm protective of our community and when I think something is or could become an attack on our community, I call it out. This is partly personality and partly learned behavior as I feel there are still some on BGG who disrespect RPGG and VGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teh Slipperboy
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
I'm not sure I could identify a best/worst thing about being a geek. I don't think I've ever been anything else to be able to compare it.

I think maybe being an RPG geek has given ma better lateral thinking and problem-sovling skills than average. Not sure though. Tabletop might also have helped me to know a little about a lot of things.

Worst thing might be the social stigma that comes with being an RPG player who works in IT and at Renaissance Festival. I get the "Peter Pan" reference for being immature a lot. I'm okay with it though -- it turns out being able to sit down with a group of scouts and play Everyone is John goes a long way in establishing trust with them. (Even if every single one of them had the "John likes to kill" plan).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Intelligence. I am objectively, verifiably smart. I got good grades in school. I scored well on my SATs. I attended an elite college*, from which I actually managed to graduate. I'm an aerospace engineer, which is not a career that selects for people of below-average intelligence.

Spending a lot of time around really, really smart people has taught me a few things. The first is that there's always someone smarter. Another is that intelligence doesn't mean much if you don't have the will to apply it. And still another is that while it's nice to be smart and engage with ideas, connecting with the people around you is more important in the long run.

My kid brother was never very good at school. An indifferent student, at best. He lived in the world of physical objects, and was at his best when he had a wrench in his hand and a machine that needed repair. My Dad is the same way. It's funny that I had to go off to school around a bunch of really smart people to get an appreciation for the skills they have, and their love of the practical.

It's nice to be smart. It's fun to talk about ideas, and to grasp complex subjects quickly. I wouldn't trade it away for anything. (Much like Miles Vorkosigan my great fear is not physical incapacity, but an accident or disease that drains my intellect.) But it isn't the most important thing. The people around me matter more than how much they've got between their ears. And most everyone has something to bring to the table when you interact with them.

*Harvey Mudd. No, not Harvard Med. Wrong coast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.