Dungeon World Roleplaying Game
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Ninth World Guidebook
Storm King's Thunder
The Cthulhu Hack: Convicts & Cthulhu
The GameMaster's Apprentice Instructions
Tiny Dungeon 2nd Edition
Adventure Kit: Oath of the Frozen King
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
Alone Against the Dark (2nd edition)
Ironsworn
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The shovel was a ground-breaking invention.
mbmbmbmbmb
A follow up to yesterday's question suggested by

Paul Unwin
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb

Do you look at the microbadges a person displays? What, if anything, do you look for? What conclusions do you draw from microbadges?

Do you have a question you want asked as QOTD? Post here!

And if you want to find an old QOTD: The big QOTD Summary and Subscription Thread Volume 3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mb
Sometimes, specially if it's a special arrangement or unusual microbadge. I also end up looking at them for people I read a lot online. For those, I usually notice when they change a microbadge, unless they do it every week.

As for conclusions, hard to say. It adds a little layer to the mental portrait I have of the person. It does provide some context to what they say. I can't pin point to any specific conclusion I would have derived from mircobadges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lev
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
Duck and Cover!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes I look at an individual's microbadges. I think I do this to see what sorts of things I have in common with them. Basically, I agree with what Alexandre said (above). I suppose I could have quoted Alexandre, that would have been more efficient.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebus Carnival
United States
Da Burbz
DC METRO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oh, you can stand it alright.
mbmbmb
More or less what Alex says.

I appreciate thoughtful selection of microbadges for theme or aesthetics. Likewise I notice when you didn't iron your pants or wear a dress shirt without a tie like your mom made you get dressed up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"All history is made up. Good history is made up by good historians; bad history is made up by the others." -David Macaulay
badge
"If I have any lasting worth, it will be because I have tried to make people remember what the Earth is meant to look like." -Mary Oliver, 1935-2019, RIP
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I always notice microbadges. I enjoy mousing over ones I don't recognize and even old favorites. They can definitely induce positive emotions, much more so than negative ones. I tend to be more charitable towards people who sport microbadges I empathize with. I suppose that's very tribal of me, sorry.

But I also love learning about new things through microbadges. If I have no idea what an interesting badge is referring to, I'll often research it. I've learned a lot that way.

I don't change mine often; mostly when certain moods strike. But if you're reading this on January 3, you may notice I'm celebrating a favorite author's birthday...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McGeorge
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey you kids, get off my Avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
I frequently look a microbadges. We only have so many elements that we can display (name, username, geekbadge, avatar, and microbadges).

Sometimes I just look for the heck of it (time permitting, of course). Sometimes I'll look if someone says something unusual or if something catches my eye.

Of course, conclusions can be dangerous, but I make them all the same. For example, if someone is knocking Splendor and they are sporting all heavy board game microbadges, I can make a snap judgment and move on.

I swap mine out when the mood strikes. I might just do it right now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Curato
France
Albi
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pdzoch wrote:
Do you look at the microbadges a person displays?

Yes, always. And even more at the ones on their profile.

pdzoch wrote:
What, if anything, do you look for? What conclusions do you draw from microbadges?

I look for preferred games (rpg and boardgames) to see if we share common interests or, the opposite, if she likes something I hate.

I look at personal interests to know what might tickle this person and should be avoided.

if the "site contribution" or "contests" sections are loaded, I know this is someone who can be trusted to stay online... but also someone very outgoing, which is not always my case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
I'll hover over things out of curiosity, sure. They're a cool way to customize. I'm never really looking for anything though, nor do I draw conclusions outside of ones that are nigh-tautological (e.g. "He's sporting a GM screen; he must be a GM."). As someone who's sported nothing but a nonsensical dog as his lone microbadge for the better part of a year, with no plans on changing, I try not to judge, lest I be judged myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Lee
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, I do! I try not to draw too many conclusions from microbadges alone, though - much like looking at someone's book or record collection, seeing their microbadges might give you the beginning of a sense of what someone might be like, but to try to draw any more information than that can be pretty presumptive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I look at them but rarely draw conclusions about the wearer. Usually, I scan them to look for cool or interesting micro-badges I'd like for myself, being too lazy to search through them on my own...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Messersmith
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
admin
designer
With your head held high and your scarlet lies You came down to me from the open skies It's either real or it's a dream There's nothing that is in between
badge
Twilight, I only meant to stay awhile Twilight, I gave you time to steal my mind Away from me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I will sometimes notice them on other people's avatars, especially if it seems they were chosen to convey a particular message or if they are visually interesting. I will look more deeply at them if I am in a discussion with that person and am looking for points of common interest or perspective to bring in to the conversation.

The only conclusion I draw from unearned (e.g. hobby, interest, music, religion, whatever) microbadges is that the person cared enough about the thing to take the minute or so effort to get it. They don't represent deep commitment, but they are a signal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The shovel was a ground-breaking invention.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm always on the lookout for rebuses in the microbadge row (like elfbane's at the moment). Or if they spell something. I appreciate clever and topical microbadge selection (like one of my pbf members who added a beholder mb to his row while we were fighting one).

I also notice well designed or pretty mb's. I may mouse over a mb when my curiosity is piqued, and I admire witty mouseovers.

However, I do not dwell on the meanings of any of theme as a defining statement of the wearer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I year ago, I didn't have any microbadges myself.

I suppose I will eventually get adept at decoding these messages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
I usually don't look at other people's micro badges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"All history is made up. Good history is made up by good historians; bad history is made up by the others." -David Macaulay
badge
"If I have any lasting worth, it will be because I have tried to make people remember what the Earth is meant to look like." -Mary Oliver, 1935-2019, RIP
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I've noticed about my microbadge attitude: those times when I'm traveling and using a mini-tablet to access RPGG/BGG, I'm a lot less curious about microbadges. I have no mouseover ability then, and it's a lot more work to figure out what unknown ones are.

I wonder if there's a big difference in microbadge attitudes based on whether you're accessing the Geek with a computer mouse or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mallet wrote:

I year ago, I didn't have any microbadges myself.

I suppose I will eventually get adept at decoding these messages.

It's simple really. From looking at your microbadges, for example, I can tell that you are an octagenarian woman from the Orient who earned a bronze star in the Greek wars of '17 and likes Golden Grahams cereal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
I often look at other geek's microbadges. More apt to notice if an avatar changes though. One of the reasons I check out others MBs is to search for MBs I might like to add, sometimes I will also go to their profile and read that too. Especially true this time of the year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you look at the microbadges a person displays? What, if anything, do you look for? What conclusions do you draw from microbadges?

Always! I always notice them! And they cause an emotional response, usually. Empathy if someone is dealing with something I can relate to, happiness seeing someone else like something I enjoy, joy at seeing a new microbadge for something I like that I now have to get, revulsion at seeing something I really don't like listed.

I very much judge people based on what their microbadges are. I do try to temper that knee-jerk first reaction by reading their posts, and sometimes I know it is my own prejudices talking and can shove my prejudices to the back of my mind. There nothing wrong with other people liking something I really don't like, after all, we are all different.

There are some microbadges that I truly dislike seeing (though I'm not going to go into details why). Luckily, there are a lot more microbadges I'm neutral or positive about, which I enjoy looking at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Dee
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If a person doesn't have the full amount of microbadges, I'll take a look. If a person has an interesting assortment, I'll look also. Otherwise, I only look if a person posts something that seems particularly insightful about something that I'm interested in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Freerksen
United States
River Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I LOVE looking at microbadges, very fun pasttime before I started posting here when I lurked
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
STRAP IN » BURN ON » BLACK OUT
badge
HIT 'EM FROM ORBIT
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 666 contest microbadges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Gorski
United States
Prescott
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Get my Mac and iOS software for Traveller at http://naasirka.weebly.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes. I like imagining who someone really is based on what they display.

I'm currently rocking a set of non-gaming badges but I'll probably change the whole set eventually to a gaming focus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Freerksen
United States
River Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
agorski wrote:
Sometimes. I like imagining who someone really is based on what they display.

I'm currently rocking a set of non-gaming badges but I'll probably change the whole set eventually to a gaming focus.

I tend to avoid non-gaming badges on my avatar unless it's a game I really, really like
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Price
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
It is pitch black.
badge
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at fellow geeks' microbadges is slightly akin to looking at a new friend's record collection used to be (alas for the disappearance of physical media....). It can often tell you whether you're going to hit it off, whether they're somebody who engages with the world in a similar way as you, and sometimes how well-heeled or educated they are.

Like in most aspects of my life, I look for a sense of a humor almost above all, then for common interests outside of gaming, then for game info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Abbott
Canada
GTA
of Confusion
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Yes, I often look at the badges, usually following back to the user's profile page to see their entire collection.

As most respondents have noted, I'm looking for commonalities and new badges that pique my interest.

Multiple conclusions could be drawn, even without consideration of any preconceived notions or deliberate attempts by a user to mislead a viewer. At best, there's only a superficial sense of the person behind the badges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.