Dungeon World Roleplaying Game
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Ninth World Guidebook
Storm King's Thunder
The Cthulhu Hack: Convicts & Cthulhu
The GameMaster's Apprentice Instructions
Tiny Dungeon 2nd Edition
Adventure Kit: Oath of the Frozen King
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
Alone Against the Dark (2nd edition)
Ironsworn
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
One Squirrel to rule them all, One Squirrel to find them, One Squirrel to bring them all and in the darkness TPK them.
mbmbmbmbmb
I often look at people Microbadges just to see if there are any cool ones I might like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Ahr
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
It starts like hello and ends like goodbye...
badge
The spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised!
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely look at other peoples' badges but not for anything in particular. It's fascinating to get a little flyby biography of other users on this site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Heth
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
I've been accused of being a grim bastard once or twice in my life.
badge
Absolutely Barbaric!
mb
Yup. I always notice them and get a good chuckle if they are arranged in a funny/special way.

I also have a soft spot for people who use festive MBs for holidays such as Halloween or Christmas. It really helps me get in the spirit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugavine wrote:
I often look at people Microbadges just to see if there are any cool ones I might like.

What he said, if by "like" he meant "swipe".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

What conclusions do you draw from microbadges?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Eisenhauer
India
New Delhi
Delhi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I automatically take in which microbadges a user displays. Depending on the content of their post I might go down the rabbit hole and look at their profile.
Microbadges are the BGG equivalent of peoples Book- / Vinyl-/ DVD-/ LD- / CD-cases in their home. I can't help being curious about what shaped / shapes people I interact with. Like most humans I look look for communality. We all want to belong
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grinch
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'Cause we know what we feel...
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I look at 'em. Not sure that I draw "conclusions" other than thinking things like "Ooh, I gotta get that one"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerry B.
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, another microbadge question.

I'll frequently look at microbadges, sure, mainly to satisfy my what-the-hell-is-that curiosity about the obscure ones and be mean to my eyeballs. I try not to draw too many conclusions about a user, since judging people by a series of reductive, self-selected signifiers probably doesn't do either party any favors (though I suppose that applies to the internet in general).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
When will the die stop rolling? What face finishes showing?
mbmbmbmbmb
I look at microbadges fairly often, mostly to discover new things but also to see what the person likes. I try to not draw conclusions from them, there are tens of thousand badges and only five can be displayed at a time.

I do appreciate artful arrangements and sequences that (I think) display some meaning.

Pauli

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Azukail Games
msg tools
designer
publisher
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to look at awards, the microbadges you can't buy, more than anything else. (Incidentally, why do some badges go so much higher than gold? There should be more above gold for such as RPG collecting etc. I'm in no way mentioning this because I'd get some more badges. )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grinch
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
Azukail wrote:
Incidentally, why do some badges go so much higher than gold?

I totally agree. They should all run Copper, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Herculean, Ultimate, Unobtainium.

I started rabble rousing about that a year or two ago and got a stern talking to. Apparently, back when the geek was young, the system awarded badges were hard-coded for the automatic awards. The badges that existed at that time are the ones that exist today. There are (a tiny few) extensions to the auto-awards, but you have to buy them. For example, there are:

mbmbmb

Followed by:

mbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmb

And I've asked for the 60K but nobody is interested.

The "problem" is, that you can just buy the non-system-awarded ones, so they're not as cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Azukail Games
msg tools
designer
publisher
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
mbmbmbmbmb
ctimmins wrote:
Azukail wrote:

I totally agree. They should all run Copper, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Herculean, Ultimate, Unobtainium.

I started rabble rousing about that a year or two ago and got a stern talking to. Apparently, back when the geek was young, the system awarded badges were hard-coded for the automatic awards. The badges that existed at that time are the ones that exist today.

I have a feeling that the higher RPG uploader ones aren't hardcoded (given that I don't have my Ultimate uploader badge yet ). I also thought Unobtanium RPG uploader was simply created for you and Steve.

I admit my mind boggles at the highest board game collector badge. 3,000 games? Where do they fit them? Have they lost their house entirely to board games? I know how much space I've lost to printed books, and many board games I have are significantly larger. Or are these games digital.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
msg tools
badge
ctimmins wrote:
Azukail wrote:

I lost interest in these badges when I realized that there was no Electrum badge. Inexcusable for an RPG site IMHO.
whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dysjunct wrote:
ctimmins wrote:
Azukail wrote:

I lost interest in these badges when I realized that there was no Electrum badge. Inexcusable for an RPG site IMHO.
whistle

Also, not enough Trans-Uranium Elements.

I call this discrimination against the weight-challenged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Messersmith
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
admin
designer
With your head held high and your scarlet lies You came down to me from the open skies It's either real or it's a dream There's nothing that is in between
badge
Twilight, I only meant to stay awhile Twilight, I gave you time to steal my mind Away from me.
mbmbmbmbmb
ctimmins wrote:
Followed by:

mbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmb

And I've asked for the 60K but nobody is interested.

The "problem" is, that you can just buy the non-system-awarded ones, so they're not as cool.
I had no idea those existed. I'm tempted, although I'm not remotely in your weigh class on this, Clark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Gorski
United States
Prescott
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Get my Mac and iOS software for Traveller at http://naasirka.weebly.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
Azukail wrote:
I admit my mind boggles at the highest board game collector badge. 3,000 games? Where do they fit them? Have they lost their house entirely to board games?

An old friend of mine is one of the top board game collectors in the US. I toured his home once and he showed me one unused bedroom that had floor to ceiling shelving units covering the entire surface area of the room except for narrow aisles to get to stuff. Like one of those small used bookstores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grinch
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
dysjunct wrote:
I lost interest in these badges when I realized that there was no Electrum badge.

There, have half a gold for you comment!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Azukail Games
msg tools
designer
publisher
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
mbmbmbmbmb
agorski wrote:
Azukail wrote:
I admit my mind boggles at the highest board game collector badge. 3,000 games? Where do they fit them? Have they lost their house entirely to board games?

An old friend of mine is one of the top board game collectors in the US. I toured his home once and he showed me one unused bedroom that had floor to ceiling shelving units covering the entire surface area of the room except for narrow aisles to get to stuff. Like one of those small used bookstores.

Sounds like one of my bedrooms. Only mine is filled with books and bookshelves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
Displayed? not really. Owned? yes. If I find someone annoying or intriguing, I use them to get a feel of where their heaspace may bem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Robben
Belgium
Antwerp
Antwerp
flag msg tools
And here...
badge
I should really add something smart and sparkly here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes, but not in a Going-out-of-my-way kind. Mostly to see if there's a nice shiny I might spend my GG on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really look at them for individuals, though some stick out more than others. I love them as a site feature though! Thumbs and ratings are good and all but having to actually expend something to express your opinion or signal your approval carries a bit more weight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger
United States
Montgomery
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so that is what those things are. No I Very rarely look at them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McKinney
United States
Lone Jack
Missouri
flag msg tools
evil appears as good in the minds of those whom gods lead to destruction
badge
The Battle on the Ice, ending in a major defeat in the Northern Crusades.
mbmbmbmbmb
I occasionally check the ones out under the avatar if it catches my eye, however I usually don't look at ones profile just to see what microbages they have, unless they have said something that caught my interest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.