Dungeon World Roleplaying Game
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Ninth World Guidebook
Storm King's Thunder
The Cthulhu Hack: Convicts & Cthulhu
The GameMaster's Apprentice Instructions
Tiny Dungeon 2nd Edition
Adventure Kit: Oath of the Frozen King
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
Alone Against the Dark (2nd edition)
Ironsworn
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
Play by Forum Preventative Etiquette: What to do to prevent GMs or players from vanishing from PbFs without a trace without any explanation whatsoever?

The main point (in reality, the only point) of the question I was asking was about this aspect:

without any explanation whatsoever?

I believe that is there should be some kind of etiquette that GMs and Players should adhere to, before committing to a RPG.

I think I will be adding a paragraph about this issue (precise wording to be determined) when I start my next RPGs as a GM in 2019.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
Emperors Grace wrote:
aramis wrote:
There really isn't a good way, IMO, that doesn't involve payments.

Wait, like GG escrow accounts? or cash?
To get me to run another PBF RPG, I'd want cash or books...

... Which I'm unlikely to get, because I suck at PBF.

My only successful PBFs have been boardgames. Specifically, Star Explorer (FGU/Goblinoid)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried two PbFs and both met this fate - GM vanishing without a trace. I can totally understand deciding you can't keep up with a PbF/don't have the energy/whatever, but a "Oops, sorry, need to cancel" would be nice.

I'm left with the impression that PbF is just really not a great medium for most RPGs, and maybe people don't realize it until they're partway into it?

Personally I think chat RPGs would be a better fit, but there doesn't seem to be as much enthusiasm for those - they require scheduling, which is a challenge all of its own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey! Stop poking me!
mbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
I've tried two PbFs and both met this fate - GM vanishing without a trace.

Ouch. I'd love to have you join in one of my PbFs so we can fix that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Very Stout
United States
Back and to the Left-
Up a Bit, Perfect
flag msg tools
An old liberal optimist
badge
An Elf, a Human, and a Dwarf walk into a bar...
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
I've tried two PbFs and both met this fate - GM vanishing without a trace.

You are not alone. I sometimes worry it was my participation that lead to the ghosting, because they didn't know how to tell me they didn't want me in the PbF.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing a good number of games here on the Geek, I have had this happen sometimes as well; in all sorts of ways - obliquely hinted at before, or without any warning. Actually, come to think of it, in two games, some intense role-playing followed once the GM had left - like, "oh, the adult has left the room, let's take this game into a direction we think is cool", but that never lasted.

As a GM, I have had periods when I needed to take breaks even in the middle of my games, but I think I have never fully abandoned any one game.
The advice given above on how to prioritise when running PbF games seems solid; still, I do like the long-running and sprawling games, to which forum-posting actually seems well suited once people adapt their expectations on how long something like this can take. On a forum, even when energy is low, nothing is really ever forgotten.

Fiasco was already mentioned; but maybe more generally gm-less games (like our sessions of the Protocol Game Series) can help with the phenomenon - if you want to organize a game but not bear full GM-responsibility, just set up something GM-less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
Currently Playing 2 games: Star Wars Edge of the Empire and Labyrinth Lord (Barrowmaze)
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think there is a way to ensure that no one bugs out and ends the game.

I'll be honest - I am really bad at sticking with pbf games. I get really gung ho, excited, super invested, and run wild with it for several days or weeks (sometime months) and then... it just doesn't go fast enough for me and so it drops down the priority list. At that point all it takes is one really busy week and I check out for several days, then if anything else happens, it is a death knell for my participation. So much time passes that I can't catch back up, and it's done.

This just happened again in December - I became very ill and it kept me away from RPGGeek for several days. When I started to recover I was behind in my work, behind in my household duties, behind in all other aspects of my life - so the pbf fell further and further down the priority list until it basically fell off. No matter how much I want to stick with it, and no matter how much I want to give people a good gaming experience, and no matter how much I DO really hate letting people down... it just happens.

There isn't a one-size-fits-all solution to this.

[edit to say that I do try to keep in touch and let people know what is happening. But sometimes that ends up just stringing people along for a while until the thing crashes for good.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.