Dungeon World Roleplaying Game
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Ninth World Guidebook
Storm King's Thunder
The Cthulhu Hack: Convicts & Cthulhu
The GameMaster's Apprentice Instructions
Tiny Dungeon 2nd Edition
Adventure Kit: Oath of the Frozen King
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
Alone Against the Dark (2nd edition)
Ironsworn
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

RPG» Forums » General Discussion » General Role-Playing

Subject: Looking for a free RPG to try with my wife rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Schroth
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My wife is really itching to try a tabletop RPG. She has never played one before although we did just start Gloomhaven which she likes. I'm a huge board game geek and pretty familiar with RPGs and how they work although I only ever played a few sessions of a Star Wars RPG many years ago.

We're looking for something not too complicated that we could print and play to try with just the two of us. Any suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Hardy
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend the D6 system. It was what was used for the Star Wars (WEG 2nd Edition), but became generic and eventually free after the license was lost. You can download them here:

https://ogc.rpglibrary.org/index.php?title=OpenD6
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice Tousignant
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not go with the big one, Dungeons & Dragons.

The basic rules are completely free.

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The Call of Cthulhu Quick-Start Rules PDF is free, and it is as simple as can be.

https://www.chaosium.com/cthulhu-quickstart/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schroth
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
thanks, I didn't realize the big ones like D&D and Cthulhu were freely available.

If we try to do it just the two of us, should the player create and control multiple characters?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Dylan
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrivethruRPG sorted for 'Quick Start' and 'Free'...

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?filters=0_2144_0_0_0...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Emryys wrote:

Very useful for me also !

Thank's a million !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Dylan
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mallet wrote:
Emryys wrote:

Very useful for me also !

Thank's a million !

NP
just went through it and found things I'm interested in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Hardy
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Emryys wrote:

FYI, people are charging for the D6 rules on Drivethru for some reason. However, they are available at other places for free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
BagelManB wrote:
thanks, I didn't realize the big ones like D&D and Cthulhu were freely available.

If we try to do it just the two of us, should the player create and control multiple characters?

If you and your wife are just starting out, controlling more than one charger little character might be more complexity than needed.

I think the most important thing will be picking a genre/theme the excites both of you. There are free games or quicksets from across the genres, so you'll be covered.

If you find a game you like and have questions, don't hesitate to ask questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Hardy
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely forgot, but I have a free one. I thought it was hosted in RPGGeek somewhere, but can't find the right link. If you are interested in joining groups or eventually buying more products, then D&D 5e might be a better option, but here is a different style of fantasy RPG for you.

http://www.perilousjourneys.com/downloads/PJreleasev2.pdf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pruitt
United States
Denver
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SteamCraft wrote:
I would recommend the D6 system. It was what was used for the Star Wars (WEG 2nd Edition), but became generic and eventually free after the license was lost. You can download them here:

https://ogc.rpglibrary.org/index.php?title=OpenD6

I agree with this suggestion (D6), and would point you to Mini Six, a free download that distills the D6 rules into about 4 pages. Very easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
With just one player, you don't want a game with niche protection... with 3 or more D&D would be a reasonable choice, but with 1, not so good.

D6 system is a good, solid engine; the Ncturnal Media editions aredirectly based upon Star War D6 2R&E (think 3rd edition WEG Star Wars), and it s still a very popular choice. The books are available free from SRD, but last I checked, Nocturnal had made the cores about $3 each.

The Chaosium BRP option is also a solid system, been around for decades (1978 onward, in one edition or another), but Call of Cthulu (which uses the BRP engine) is only a good choice if a Lovecraft fan or a horror fan.

Modiphius has playable quickstarts for all thier 2d20 system games. This really only is relevant because of two big ones: Conan and Star Trek Adventures.

As for multiple characters for the one player? I'd suggest not at first. Which is why games with Niche protection (D&D is the archetype's standard for this) are a suboptimal choice. It's not that the mechanics are harder, it's that characters are more limited in ability by the game's niche protection to be only able to be 1-2 niches of 4-7...

SteamCraft wrote:

FYI, people are charging for the D6 rules on Drivethru for some reason. However, they are available at other places for free.

Because the "SRD" released was in fact the corebook PDF by "New WEG".
New Weg sold or licensed off the IP to Nocturnal, but the SRD was already out.

Nocturnal wants to see some profit, and some people don't feel right grabbing an SRD that happens to literally be the full PDF of the released game, and so will pay that nominal charge.

Edit: also, being charged for on DTRPG ancourages using PoD on DTRPG, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wincing in horror at the thought of a lot of these games being used to introduce new people, but honestly I've got no good suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
I'm wincing in horror at the thought of a lot of these games being used to introduce new people, but honestly I've got no good suggestions.
Why?

Many people, including Ugavine, started RPGing with WEG Star Wars. I've started a few with FFG Star Wars, too.

I've known several people whose first experience was with BRP derivatives; several played CoC because of being Lovecraft fans.

FASA Trek, LUG Trek, Starships and Spacemen, and STA all draw Star Trek fans and are often the first game.

Not a few people came to RPGing via WFRP in one edition or another, having crossed over from WFB, or from Talisman; the BI/FFG 40K RPGs from the various 40K minis games.

Mechanically, none of the suggestions are overly hard, despite not being to your tastes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aramis wrote:

Mechanically, none of the suggestions are overly hard

Agreed.

Besides, you will never get anything out of RPGs, if you are not willing to put some time and effort on your part, IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aramis wrote:
Why?

Seems to me that an intro RPG should be easy to learn and intuitive; small set of rules, NOT a big tome of text, NOT character sheets that look like spreadsheets. Clear rules that accomplish something fun and exciting. I don't think any of these qualify.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
aramis wrote:
Why?

Seems to me that an intro RPG should be easy to learn and intuitive; small set of rules, NOT a big tome of text, NOT character sheets that look like spreadsheets. Clear rules that accomplish something fun and exciting. I don't think any of these qualify.

D6 and BRP have very little the player needs to know.

For d6, the following is all a player needs to know, other than simple table-lookups (such as specific ranges and damages by weapon)

Basics of dice notation Xd+y means X d6's, and Y is added to the total rolled.
1 die = 3 pips, either 3×(+1) or (+1)&(+2)
Split 18 dice out amongst the 6 atts on the sheet. Humans cannot exceed 4d in any attribute, nor have less than 1d.
all skills start equal to the attribute.
Add 7 dice to increase skills above their attributes
On your turn, declare 1 or more actions.
For each action, the base dice is the listed rating, but you lose 1d per action after the first, and for each wound marked.
Base to-hits by range: Short =10+, Medium = 15+, Long=20+
Full round defensese add to the opponent's TN
Reaction defenses replace the opponent's TN.
Rolling high is always better in this game.
Sometimes, the opposition rolls, sometimes the TN is a fixed number.
If using rolled initiative, it's rolled using Perception.
For anything else, ask the GM.

While d6 lacks a demo kit, the book is pretty self explanatory, and points out what's core and what's option. much of the book is options.

CoC and most other BRP games are fairly simple once past Character Gen.

D&D is probably the most complex of the suggestions mentioned in thread by name. And D&D 5 is pretty simple in the basic set form.

Also, many of the simpler mechanics games rely upon knowledgable and experienced GM's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Dylan
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aramis wrote:

While d6 lacks a demo kit, the book is pretty self explanatory, and points out what's core and what's option. much of the book is options.

Aramis' summary is excellent... this could help...

2 page D6 'How the game works' PDF
https://ogc.rpglibrary.org/images/5/5c/D6_How_The_Game_Works...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Herc
msg tools
new user
Fate Accelerated is simple enough to get started with, and it's Pay What You Want over at DTRPG. It requires special dice, and if you don't have Fate dice (no problem) you can use a free dice roller app on your phone or tablet.

Here's a pretty good overview of the Fate system, it makes a great rules reference for a light Fate Accelerated game: https://www.reddit.com/r/rpg/comments/17h3a2/a_mechanical_su...

System rules link: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/114902/Fate-Accelerated...

Fate also has a lot of great worldbuilding products, if you decide this system is right for what the two of you enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
TerryHerc wrote:
Fate Accelerated is simple enough to get started with, and it's Pay What You Want over at DTRPG. It requires special dice, and if you don't have Fate dice (no problem) you can use a free dice roller app on your phone or tablet.
You can also just use d6-d6.
Another option is 2 dark d6 and 2 light d6, and results of lowest light - lowest dark.

Res low-low d6-d6 4df
-5 0.85 2.78 0
-4 3.24 5.56 1.23
-3 6.87 8.33 4.94
-2 11.42 11.11 12.35
-1 16.59 13.89 19.75
0 22.07 16.67 23.46
1 16.59 13.89 19.75
2 11.42 11.11 12.35
3 6.87 8.33 4.94
4 3.24 5.56 1.23
5 0.85 2.78 0

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
One Squirrel to rule them all, One Squirrel to find them, One Squirrel to bring them all and in the darkness TPK them.
mbmbmbmbmb
aramis wrote:
StormKnight wrote:
Why?

Many people, including Ugavine, started RPGing with WEG Star Wars. I've started a few with FFG Star Wars, too.

I've known several people whose first experience was with BRP derivatives; several played CoC because of being Lovecraft fans.

FASA Trek, LUG Trek, Starships and Spacemen, and STA all draw Star Trek fans and are often the first game.

Not a few people came to RPGing via WFRP in one edition or another, having crossed over from WFB, or from Talisman; the BI/FFG 40K RPGs from the various 40K minis games.

Mechanically, none of the suggestions are overly hard, despite not being to your tastes.

Certainly recommend D6 system to start with. Very easy to learn the basics and easy to create NPC stats on-the-fly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Constantin
Canada
flag msg tools
I'd recommend lasers and feelings (or one of the hacks).

It's got a quickie plot, minimal mechanics and it's easy to hack as needed.

(hell, I managed to duplicate star trek with cats with it. )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Stevens
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Role playing since the beginning.
badge
You on the list? https://rpggeek.com/geeklist/47027/
mbmbmbmbmb
Regards "niche protection": if you do go for D&D start with a fighter character and write a little adventure that doesn't require more than that. I have actually GM's lots of solo adventures in D&D for players, of many different character classes, but it requires some experience. Fighter is easiest, a rogue or cleric lone PC probably the next easiest.

For any system you may choose the hardest part will be finding an adventure that copes with a lone PC. So some suggestions here for adventures might also help. For example Call of Cthulhu has an adventure called "Paper Chase" that is designed for a lone investigator, although it has a few design glitches.

As well as published adventures there are probably enough experience game master here to write an adventure for you to GM if you let us know what game you decide to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest not starting with these two. If she finds them complicated, she may never rpg again. I would suggest something simpler like Tiny Dungeons 1 ed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.