Legacy of Dragonholt
Xas Irkalla
Call of Cthulhu Starter Set
Blades in the Dark
Paranoia: Red Clearance Edition
Fall of Magic
Forbidden Lands Player's Handbook
Forbidden Lands Gamemaster's Guide
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
Good Society: A Jane Austen Role-Playing Game
Knights & Legends
Complete Gunslinger
Fey Folio
SPACERS Core
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Mouse Guard (2nd Edition)
Curse of Strahd
The Skeletons
M-Space
Kids on Bikes
Woodfall
Knights & Legends the Rogue Priest Expansion and Campaign
Changeling: The Lost Second Edition
City
Red Bat Cthulhu
The Santa Lands
Book 01: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain
MJ1: Media Junkie: Take One
On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Clash of the Princes
Dungeon World Roleplaying Game
Horror on the Orient Express (2nd Edition)
Assault on the Goblin Hold
The One Ring Roleplaying Game
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Adventurer's Guide
Index Card RPG Core
Tiny Dungeon 2nd Edition
Adventure Kit: Oath of the Frozen King
Maria in Three Parts
Waterdeep: Dragon Heist
Scum and Villainy
The Vaults of K'Horror
Dungeon Delve Adventure #2: Dungeons of the Dread Wyrm
Rangers of Shadow Deep: A Tabletop Adventure Game
El Tesoro de Córdoba
All That Glitters is Palladium: A Short History of Palladium Books
Monarchies of Mau Guide's Screen
Mother's Maze
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

What genres do you enjoy reading and/or watching, but not playing?
Conversely, what genres do you enjoy playing but not reading and/or watching?

Hard question to answer.

I read +++++ all year round, mostly about history and the social sciences, and about the natural sciences and progress in those fields also.

My perception for the moment is that most of the RPG settings are pretty much all the same, driven by market forces, rather then designer creativity (the most creativity being more often then not driven to invent 'something new' within the same old).

My perception might be incomplete, but if there is more to find somewhere out there, it is remarkably well hidden, I can tell you that.

There is an untapped pool of great ides that are still vastly untouched.

If, for instance, someone created an super-intelligent RPG covering the philosophical and theological debates during the medieval times in Europe (Nominalists vs Rationalists, Abelard vs Bernard de Clairvaux, etc.), I would snap up such an RPG in an instant !

Or, you could conceive an RPG taking place in the Art world (dance, theatre, fine arts, etc.), with forgers, socialites and nouveaux riches (think 'The Moderns').

The palette of existing RPG settings appears to be relatively poor, compared to the richness of social life and human history, and that of the Natural Sciences and Social Sciences.

Why so much energy has been invested to create all these imaginary worlds in the past 40 years, when there is a real goldmine of so much interesting stuff to be integrated from the real world, is truly beyond me.

These Philosophical considerations are eminently related to the passing of the old year, and the beginning of the new one ... cool

TL;DR: I believe players would be attracted to a much greater variety of different genres if there were a greater number of well conceived games about them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mixu Lauronen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The revolution lasted six minutes and covered one hundred and twelve meters.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would try playing anything, except the genre represented by the Game That Should Not Be Named.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Mixula wrote:
I would try playing anything, except the genre represented by the Game That Should Not Be Named.

Sorry, I missed the reference. Which game is the one that should not be named?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebus Carnival
United States
Da Burbz
DC METRO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oh, you can stand it alright.
mbmbmb
robbbbbb wrote:
Mixula wrote:

The one you just lost?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Curato
France
Albi
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
robbbbbb wrote:
Mixula wrote:

Why of course, it's... aaaargh nooo get it off meeee jbnvspbzro;pbgpsdf?jbvopgubl!!!os!jkv%bnosbg

////
//////////////////////////
R/Command
Cmd/FTAGHN

...server error...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Hardy
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Comedy

Paranoia (5th Edition) can be funny to play. However, I would not consider it a comedy in the way that I would a TV or movie comedy.

Fiasco is a party game, it is not an RPG. So while fun to play, it does not fit.

I have never played Toon, which comes the closest to what I would think of as a comedy RPG that I am aware of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mixula wrote:

Risk.

Other: "Oh, you play Wargames ? You mean, like Risk ?"

Me: angry

(The reference to Risk gets really irritating after the thousandth time ... )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mostly realistic space exploration/science - ala Apollo 13 or The Martian. Granted, I can't think of many other examples of the genre - it isn't common. And I actually would enjoy playing it conceptually, but I just couldn't see how it could work as a good RPG.

Not really a genre, but I enjoy stories where a series of really strange things gets rolled together into one cohesive tale at the end. You see it in some Sherlock Holmes type mysteries, occasional time travel plots, the TV series of Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (NOT the book though), etc. It would take a level of pre-plotting that I don't think would work well in a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Karkared wrote:
Why of course, it's... aaaargh nooo get it off meeee jbnvspbzro;pbgpsdf?jbvopgubl!!!os!jkv%bnosbg

////
//////////////////////////
R/Command
Cmd/FTAGHN

...server error...

You just opened a portal to Hell, didn't you? It's my fault the world is ending?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
msg tools
badge
Mallet wrote:
Mixula wrote:

Risk.

Sounds like you need to switch to Euros, so everything can be like Monopoly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mallet wrote:

Risk : The Games I Play :: Pong : Skyrim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McGeorge
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey you kids, get off my Avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mallet wrote:
Risk.

Root has replaced Risk as my favorite wargame.

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Hard question for me to answer, tbh. I'm down to watching almost no TV. And my reading is very directed toward things that relate to personal projects or self-improvement. Not much fiction these days, basically.

I think I'd love playing in an early 2000s dramedy though. RPing - say - Gilmore Girls would be the dumbest guilty pleasure of my life, but a pleasure nonetheless.

"She's dating who?! That won't do. We have to put a stop to it. There's a school dance this Saturday. You'll need to dress up as one the faculty, and I'll pretend to be with the lighting crew. Make sure you have at least half a dozen pop culture references ready to work into small talk, or they'll know something's up..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mallet wrote:
Mixula wrote:

Risk.

While playing From Cape to Cairo (a railroad game) in a public place we had someone stop and ask if it was Dungeon and Dragons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Curato
France
Albi
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
While playing From Cape to Cairo (a railroad game) in a public place we had someone stop and ask if it was Dungeon and Dragons.

Well to the untrained eye, D&D may look like railroading!

My stepnephew got Risk last xmas. I am teaching his family the rules (they thought they knew!). Now, every game I tell him about, he asks "is it like Risk?" or he says "oh, so it's a Risk-like!".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Hardy
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
brumcg wrote:
Mallet wrote:
Risk.

Root has replaced Risk as my favorite wargame.

ninja

Is it like Risk?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McGeorge
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karkared wrote:
My stepnephew got Risk last xmas. I am teaching his family the rules (they thought they knew!). Now, every game I tell him about, he asks "is it like Risk?" or he says "oh, so it's a Risk-like!".

Family friend heard that our family was playing games. Gifts us Funemployed over the Holidays. Um, next year just donate that money to the Human Fund in our name, please.

Yes, I know, it's the thought... etc... etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McGeorge
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SteamCraft wrote:
Is it like Risk?

It's like half Risk, half Advanced Squad Leader. I assume.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Karkared wrote:
StormKnight wrote:

Well to the untrained eye, D&D may look like railroading!

Underrated comment right f---ing here. I chuckled in my cubicle.

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Bailey
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
“I would have made this instrumental, but the words got in the way...” —XTC, “No Language in Our Lungs”
badge
“Self-discipline isn’t everything; look at Pol Pot.” —Helen Fielding, _Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason_
mbmbmbmbmb
brumcg wrote:
It's like half Risk, half Advanced Squad Leader. I assume.

Reminds me of one of my favourite wargaming quotes:
Louie Manios wrote:
When I was 13, I played Risk. I wanted to conquer the world.

When I was 16, I played War and Peace. I wanted to conquer Europe.

When I was 17, I played The Russian Campaign. I wanted to conquer Russia.

When I was 18, I played The Battle of the Bulge. I wanted to break through into Belgium.

When I was 19, I played Panzer Leader. I wanted to conquer Hill 268.

Now at 34, I play Advanced Squad Leader. All I want to do is cross the damn street without getting my head blown off.

https://web.archive.org/web/20151002093808/http://home.comcast.net/~tomrepetti/spud/Spud2001.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
One Squirrel to rule them all, One Squirrel to find them, One Squirrel to bring them all and in the darkness TPK them.
mbmbmbmbmb
Super Hero's.
mb mb mb mb mb mb mb

I'm a big comic fan; I subscribe to the Eaglemoss DC Graphic Novel Collection and have shelf-fulls of Super Hero DVDs.

Now I do play Super Hero games, mainly Heroclix. But as for RPGs, well they have all fallen flat.

The Judge Dredd Roleplaying Game (Mongoose) - D20 is not right for this setting. Poor GMing also didn't help. One of the worst games I've played in.

DC Adventures - I tried running this, but I just couldn't feel the system.

HERO System (5th Edition) - No. Just... no.

But... I have just had Sentinel Comics: The Roleplaying Game – Starter Kit turn up today. So maybe...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugavine wrote:
Now I do play Super Hero games, mainly Heroclix. But as for RPGs, well they have all fallen flat.

But... I have just had Sentinel Comics: The Roleplaying Game – Starter Kit turn up today. So maybe...

I wonder how much the disconnect between literature/film that we enjoy and RPGs in related genres just has to do with the quality of the games in those genres.

I love fantasy literature when it's done well. I'm a big D&D fan, and I love to dungeoncrawl. With a few exceptions, film has been a wasteland for the fantasy genre. In large part, I think that has to do with the quality of the product that's going out the door. Peter Jackson showed that fantasy can be really popular when done extraordinarily well (the Lord of the Rings). He also showed how that can be hard to do, even when you have good source material to work from (The Hobbit).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
High Fantasy : don't enjoy reading, do enjoy watching and running.
Mid-Fantasy (Tolkien in print is in this, Barsoom): Enjoy watching and running, not a fan of reading.
Low Fantasy (Conan, Kull): Enjoy reading and playing, but have only seen one adaptation worth a damn, and it's a severe departure from the novels: John Carter of Mars; note that it also toned down the fantasy level.
Urban Fantasy: so much is hit or miss in the reading and watching... Butcher's Dresden Files works in all three modes.

Sci-Fi, Hard: don't enjoy playing, don't enjoy reading much, but the recent HSF films, such as "The Martian," are right good fun for me.
Sci-Fi, soft: Enjoy reading, watching; would rather not play, as too often it includes romance.
Space Opera, Hard: enjoy much of it. When it blends in romance, however, it blends out my desire to play it, but not my desire to read or watch it.
Space Opera, Soft: I tend not to enjoy reading, but do enjoy watching and/or running it, provided it doesn't blend into the romance genre

Romance: Detest it in all modes on its own; as a blend with others, however, I enjoy reading or watching, but not playing.

"Planetary Romance" - think Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers comics/novels: Love all three modes. Barsoom I don't count here.

Film Noir: Mixed. Not a fan, but don't mind it in play if not too over-the-top. (Spirit of the Century was fun). Hard to make work in play.

Cop Shows: I love watching; I am reticent to run it, tho', as it's a bit constrained. Not a fan of reading it, tho'.

Murder Mysteries, non-forensic: Some play as part of other genres. Don't read. Watch some.

Murder Mysteries, forensic: Love to watch, like to read. Dislike playing or running them.

Nature shows: Love to watch. RPGing them? Good heavens, no. I could see a boardgame, tho'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aramis wrote:

Nature shows: Love to watch. RPGing them? Good heavens, no. I could see a boardgame, tho'.

Blue Planet (Revised).

Totally impressive setting, but ... where are the scenarios, after all these years ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mallet wrote:
aramis wrote:

Blue Planet (Revised).

Totally impressive setting, but ... where are the scenarios, after all these years ?

The designer and I game together regularly. (We played Twilight Imperium (Fourth Edition) two weekends ago.) He still comments on Blue Planet pretty regularly, and has made the books available by electronic means. However! He's spent the last few years working on Upwind, a narrative game of steampunk and skyships.

And he has a day job, which consumes a bunch of his time.

I think he got what he wanted out of Blue Planet and has moved on to other things.

That said, Jeff is a guy whose passions come out in his gaming. Part of the foundation of Blue Planet is the fact that he has a marine biology degree. The skyships in Upwind are heavily informed by his sailing pastime. (He also loves to play Wooden Ships & Iron Men.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.