Dungeon World Roleplaying Game
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Ninth World Guidebook
Storm King's Thunder
The Cthulhu Hack: Convicts & Cthulhu
The GameMaster's Apprentice Instructions
Tiny Dungeon 2nd Edition
Adventure Kit: Oath of the Frozen King
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
Alone Against the Dark (2nd edition)
Ironsworn
Curtis Gibson
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Every genre I play, I enjoy reading.

When I game I like Larger than Life heroes, good triumphing over evil.. that sort of grand scope. It's escapism for me - so while I read dystopian literature, gritty science fiction, dark cyberpunk - I would not enjoy playing in those kinds of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
sdonohue wrote:
I don't mind watching post-apocalyptic shows and movies but I rarely like games with that theme.

I think it's because I like to build things as a character and it feels like rpgs in the genre typically feel kind of hopeless and so building is pointless.

I think you can absolutely do a post-apocalyptic game that is about rebuilding from the ashes, but it has to be a focal point of the game. A great take-off point would be from the old D&D/AD&D rules about building a stronghold. That's not far off from the type of game it would include, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugavine wrote:
Super Hero's.
mb mb mb mb mb mb mb

I'm a big comic fan; I subscribe to the Eaglemoss DC Graphic Novel Collection and have shelf-fulls of Super Hero DVDs.

Now I do play Super Hero games, mainly Heroclix. But as for RPGs, well they have all fallen flat.

The Judge Dredd Roleplaying Game (Mongoose) - D20 is not right for this setting. Poor GMing also didn't help. One of the worst games I've played in.

DC Adventures - I tried running this, but I just couldn't feel the system.

HERO System (5th Edition) - No. Just... no.

But... I have just had Sentinel Comics: The Roleplaying Game – Starter Kit turn up today. So maybe...

Interesting. I've found that four-color type super hero stuff translates very well into RPGs (though whether the mechanics do well with it is a different story). Just, very easy to play. You've got clear cut goals, lots of action...easy stuff to game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Silva
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy watching crappy b series movies and don't enjoy to play those... so I run them instead ...shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerry B.
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Karkared wrote:

I feel okay leaving that link blue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robbbbbb wrote:
Mallet wrote:
aramis wrote:

Nature shows: Love to watch. RPGing them? Good heavens, no. I could see a boardgame, tho'.

Blue Planet (Revised).

Totally impressive setting, but ... where are the scenarios, after all these years ?

The designer and I game together regularly. (We played Twilight Imperium (Fourth Edition) two weekends ago.) He still comments on Blue Planet pretty regularly, and has made the books available by electronic means. However! He's spent the last few years working on Upwind, a narrative game of steampunk and skyships.

And he has a day job, which consumes a bunch of his time.

I think he got what he wanted out of Blue Planet and has moved on to other things.

That said, Jeff is a guy whose passions come out in his gaming. Part of the foundation of Blue Planet is the fact that he has a marine biology degree. The skyships in Upwind are heavily informed by his sailing pastime. (He also loves to play Wooden Ships & Iron Men.

Well, please tell him that I find the setting of Blue Planet completely amazing !

He's never heard of me, but it doesn't matter !

I must add that it took me a lot of searching to track down and finally purchase the Player and GM Revised Rulebooks (and I am pretty sure that there must be a story behind their 'disappearance' from plain sight ...).

Again, certain market forces will either help or hinder innovative ideas, unfortunately, no matter their intrinsic qualities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Curato
France
Albi
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mallet wrote:
robbbbbb wrote:
Mallet wrote:
aramis wrote:

Nature shows: Love to watch. RPGing them? Good heavens, no. I could see a boardgame, tho'.

Blue Planet (Revised).

Totally impressive setting, but ... where are the scenarios, after all these years ?

The designer and I game together regularly. (We played Twilight Imperium (Fourth Edition) two weekends ago.) He still comments on Blue Planet pretty regularly, and has made the books available by electronic means. However! He's spent the last few years working on Upwind, a narrative game of steampunk and skyships.

And he has a day job, which consumes a bunch of his time.

I think he got what he wanted out of Blue Planet and has moved on to other things.

That said, Jeff is a guy whose passions come out in his gaming. Part of the foundation of Blue Planet is the fact that he has a marine biology degree. The skyships in Upwind are heavily informed by his sailing pastime. (He also loves to play Wooden Ships & Iron Men.

Well, please tell him that I find the setting of Blue Planet completely amazing !

Totally agree, I had Ancient Echoes printed on demand just so I could read it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
Mallet wrote:

He's never heard of me, but it doesn't matter !
While I've only skimmed it, Blue Planet was memorable as a skim-through. (I was broke at the time, and looking at a friend's copy before game.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like science and science fiction but don't really have any desire to play simulation-heavy hard SF RPGs.

Conversely, I have no desire to read/watch romance or romantic comedies (but usually enjoy them if roped in), but would totally be down to play romance/romantic comedy RPGs. I'm not big on religious texts/media but totally down for games that explore religion.

I have no desire to read/watch comedies in general and I'm leery of RPGs that set out to be funny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.