Legacy of Dragonholt
Xas Irkalla
Call of Cthulhu Starter Set
Blades in the Dark
Paranoia: Red Clearance Edition
Fall of Magic
Forbidden Lands Player's Handbook
Forbidden Lands Gamemaster's Guide
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
Good Society: A Jane Austen Role-Playing Game
Knights & Legends
Complete Gunslinger
Fey Folio
SPACERS Core
Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Mouse Guard (2nd Edition)
Curse of Strahd
The Skeletons
M-Space
Kids on Bikes
Woodfall
Knights & Legends the Rogue Priest Expansion and Campaign
Changeling: The Lost Second Edition
City
Red Bat Cthulhu
The Santa Lands
Book 01: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain
MJ1: Media Junkie: Take One
On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Clash of the Princes
Dungeon World Roleplaying Game
Horror on the Orient Express (2nd Edition)
Assault on the Goblin Hold
The One Ring Roleplaying Game
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Adventurer's Guide
Index Card RPG Core
Tiny Dungeon 2nd Edition
Adventure Kit: Oath of the Frozen King
Maria in Three Parts
Waterdeep: Dragon Heist
Scum and Villainy
The Vaults of K'Horror
Dungeon Delve Adventure #2: Dungeons of the Dread Wyrm
Rangers of Shadow Deep: A Tabletop Adventure Game
El Tesoro de Córdoba
All That Glitters is Palladium: A Short History of Palladium Books
Monarchies of Mau Guide's Screen
Mother's Maze
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

RPG» Forums » General Discussion » RPG Design

Subject: Lands of Plenty QS rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
catty_ big
United Kingdom
London (sort of)
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey y'all!

Around this time last year I posted some stuff about a game I'm working on that's set in a pseudo-Mediaeval game world, called Lands of Plenty. I received some very useful feedback on the setting and system, as a result of which I made a number of changes. Since then I've run an intro scenario at a con here in the UK, with extremely positive results, and I'm now ready to start thinking about putting together a QS. My question for the good folks on this forum is this: given what I've got already, what work do you think I need to do in order to get the game to a point where it can be run by external GMs? Obviously the cartography will need to be a lot more professional-looking, but my question about that is how much of it there will need to be for external GMs, and how much of the setting will need to be worked up? Forex will they need a pharmacology, and flora and fauna etc., or can they just make stuff up for now?

Draft doc
Cheat sheet
Char sheet
Cartography

Have at it!
c_b
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Dee
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious... what is a QS?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
chuckdee68 wrote:

Quick Start

It's a demo with the needed rules for that demo included. Usually, they include pregens, but some include character generation instead.

If you search for Quickstart you'll find at least half-a-dozen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Dee
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen QS mean a few things in relation to gaming, so I appreciate the clarification
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
catty_ big
United Kingdom
London (sort of)
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
aramis wrote:
Usually, they include pregens, but some include character generation instead.

Interesting that you should mention char gen, bc that (specifically the lack thereof in my current draft) was a major thing that a user on another forum picked up on. However, you seem to be saying here that having pre-gens is enough for a QS? That would make the writing a lot easier for sure.

chuckdee68 wrote:

It's become a very popular way of putting out demo games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
BigCat97 wrote:
aramis wrote:
Usually, they include pregens, but some include character generation instead.

Interesting that you should mention char gen, bc that (specifically the lack thereof in my current draft) was a major thing that a user on another forum picked up on. However, you seem to be saying here that having pre-gens is enough for a QS? That would make the writing a lot easier for sure.

QS as alpha or beta is unusual, but not unprecedented.

The standard QS is pregens, but several (T&T specifically comes to mind, as do Mongoose Traveller's QS, and another I grabbed but can't recall the name of) have had limited character gen. (T&T only provided 2 of the 4 types from 5th ed, and the XP Table was only a few levels.)

Exemplars of large portion of the mechanics in the QS, but with pregens...
Modiphius Robert E. Howard's Conan Quickstart Rules & Adventure and Star Trek Adventures Quickstart Guide
Catalyst's The Eiger Agenda
Atlas' Hong Kong Task Force 88

Note that the first few drafts of Star Trek Adventures Public Beta were pregens-only, too.

So, yeah, a QS having only pregens isn't a big issue, especially if it's also a public alpha or public beta.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
catty_ big
United Kingdom
London (sort of)
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
aramis wrote:
QS as alpha or beta is unusual, but not unprecedented.

The standard QS is pregens, but several (T&T specifically comes to mind, as do Mongoose Traveller's QS, and another I grabbed but can't recall the name of) have had limited character gen. (T&T only provided 2 of the 4 types from 5th ed, and the XP Table was only a few levels.)

Exemplars of large portion of the mechanics in the QS, but with pregens...
Modiphius Robert E. Howard's Conan Quickstart Rules & Adventure and Star Trek Adventures Quickstart Guide
Catalyst's The Eiger Agenda
Atlas' Hong Kong Task Force 88

Note that the first few drafts of Star Trek Adventures Public Beta were pregens-only, too.

So, yeah, a QS having only pregens isn't a big issue, especially if it's also a public alpha or public beta.

Thanks, that makes me feel a lot better about it. I think I may as well have a stab at char gen though, since I'll have to do it at some point anyway, but I'll go for two or three adventures with pre-gens so it's easy for folks to get stuck in. They can always try the char gen if they want to (or have the time to) play about with it.

As regards public vs private alpha or beta etc., I haven't a hope of getting enough private alpha testing, so public alpha is the obvious (indeed the only) way to go, and I'm fine with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
BigCat97 wrote:
aramis wrote:

Thanks, that makes me feel a lot better about it.

Glad to be of help. Some days, I feel like a reference librarian.

BigCat97 wrote:
I think I may as well have a stab at char gen though, since I'll have to do it at some point anyway, but I'll go for two or three adventures with pre-gens so it's easy for folks to get stuck in. They can always try the char gen if they want to (or have the time to) play about with it.

As regards public vs private alpha or beta etc., I haven't a hope of getting enough private alpha testing, so public alpha is the obvious (indeed the only) way to go, and I'm fine with that.
Public alpha should be noted as such.

For example
+----------------+
| |
| Land of Plenty |
| Quick Start |
| |
| Alpha |
| Draft |
| 1.0 |
| |
| |
| BigCat97 |
+----------------+

(yes, I am an old school nerd, too. I like ANSI art.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
catty_ big
United Kingdom
London (sort of)
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
aramis wrote:

For example
+----------------+
| |
| Land of Plenty |
| Quick Start |
| |
| Alpha |
| Draft |
| 1.0 |
| |
| |
| BigCat97 |
+----------------+

Sorry, ANSI? And, all I'm seeing is some text with a dotted border, should I be seeing something else?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Minister of Sinister
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey! Stop poking me!
mbmbmb

Personally, as a GM, I would prefer to have pregens included with a QS. I'd rather not dig into character building just to try out a new game. I mean, the Q in QS suggests a minimal amount of required effort to get rolling.

Basic rules, a handful of pregens and a short adventure scenario that includes rules tips along the way to make it go as smoothly as possible. That's what I would look for in a QS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
BigCat97 wrote:
aramis wrote:

For example
+----------------+
| |
| Land of Plenty |
| Quick Start |
| |
| Alpha |
| Draft |
| 1.0 |
| |
| |
| BigCat97 |
+----------------+

Sorry, ANSI? And, all I'm seeing is some text with a dotted border, should I be seeing something else?
Was a color text format used in dial-in BBSs in the 90's.
The above is ascii art enhanced with bold. If you brwser pays attention to the code, it should be a rectangle with text upon it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Dee
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I love ASCII Art too

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASCII_art
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
catty_ big
United Kingdom
London (sort of)
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Mulligans wrote:
Basic rules, a handful of pregens and a short adventure scenario that includes rules tips along the way to make it go as smoothly as possible. That's what I would look for in a QS.

Then that's what you'll get! I'm aiming for two-three scenarios: one generic, one with some travel and one with investigation. I'll probably include char gen anyway, bc I'll have to do so at some pint, and GMs can either use it or not as they choose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
catty_ big
United Kingdom
London (sort of)
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
aramis wrote:
If you browser pays attention to the code, it should be a rectangle with text upon it.

Nah, I'm just getting a dotted rectangle with words written in ordinary type, not ASCII characters.

chuckdee68 wrote:

Yeah, that's beautiful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
catty_ big
United Kingdom
London (sort of)
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to some very useful feedback from some folks on another forum, I'm motoring through the QS doc, which I've built from the ground up, cannibalising bits of the main draft doc along the way. So far I've done the How to play section and about half the Character sheet run through; I've started writing up The Harder They Come, the scenario I ran last year, and the first pre-written scenario to go in the book, and put in placeholders for Character creation, Writing a scenario, Game management and Cartography.

I've given brief explanations of the success levels (more detailed explanations of them will go in the Game management section, with probably a list somewhere of examples for all six levels for all the main abilities) and renamed the last column of the results table 'Taking the fail', explaining it in some detail. I've found a nice placeholder image to go on the cover, and will look around for a cartographer or a cartography tool so I can make a start on that too. I'll post the new QS doc when I've got most of the main sections done. But best of all, I'm feeling really energised. W00t!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.