Dungeon World Roleplaying Game
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Ninth World Guidebook
Storm King's Thunder
The Cthulhu Hack: Convicts & Cthulhu
The GameMaster's Apprentice Instructions
Tiny Dungeon 2nd Edition
Adventure Kit: Oath of the Frozen King
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
Alone Against the Dark (2nd edition)
Ironsworn
Chuck Dee
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been using a dunjo, in varying mediums as I experiment. I've tried physical books (with and without livescribe), OneNote, Scrivener, and other applications. I recently switched to the Commonplace method, and find that a lot better for my uses. I make heavy use of the sheets from http://www.r-n-w.net/ to help organize the information within the journals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Not-applicable in my case, because I only do PbF for the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Messersmith
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
admin
designer
With your head held high and your scarlet lies You came down to me from the open skies It's either real or it's a dream There's nothing that is in between
badge
Twilight, I only meant to stay awhile Twilight, I gave you time to steal my mind Away from me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Elfbane wrote:
So for those of you who do take notes, do you do so systematically? Do you have a particular method? How do you organize your notes?
I have a file of notes, usually in Google Docs, you can see an example of how I do it in this file for my ongoing Masks game:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yPdGdu72ipvpboW94xM9T0Ze...

Every month before the session I print out the pages of my notes that will be relevant for that game. During the game, I write on those pages, often haphazardly, all the stuff that I think I need to remember for later. After the session, I go over my written notes and add them to the file. When I am prepping for the next session I put my new notes into the file, then, repeat the cycle. That file linked above covers about 16 sessions worth of play.

That cycle interacts with the wiki: http://gaming.memethief.com/Marvel_2033 The wiki contains all the player facing stuff; NPCs, places, things, etc. I also print out the relevant bits of the wiki (usually the whole thing) before every session because I"m old school and what have trees done for me lately?

This is the way I like doing things these days. I've been using that method for maybe five or six years now. Note that in this case, Masks is a fairly low prep game, you don't need any statistics for antagonists, just some notes about who they are and what they want, but I did the same thing for the One Ring and other games that require a lot more stats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Gibson
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I take notes in some campaigns.

For three characters I kept a journal - after each session I would jot down thoughts on the events from the character's point of view - both as a reference to things happened and a way to do deep character immersion without bugging those at the table that aren't into that kind of thing. Usually just a paragraph.

I had one Champions character that was sort of an Iron Man clone, and I'd add in a quick line about what things the suit needed, and what worked well - then would use that as a guide for what to buy next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Bowser
United States
Kernersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Elfbane wrote:
So for those of you who do take notes, do you do so systematically? Do you have a particular method? How do you organize your notes?

It all depends on how prepared I am. Sometimes notes are half-assed little scribbles jotted down on the nearest piece of paper. These types of notes are usually very cryptic and leave me wondering what I intended in the first place. These are usually written in the heat of the moment when I've just created an NPC/event/location ad hoc and came to the conclusion it's going to have to stick around because the players latched on.

Other notes are more comprehensive and better organized. These are usually written down after play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Elfbane wrote:

When playing face-to-face and as a GM I basically type shorthand notes in an e-mail draft on all major or amusing interactions to write up in full later.

When playing through video chat, I have a word document open and when my character isn't center stage I am furiously typing away at what is going on (though often it is colored by asides from my character...)

When playing face-to-face I tend to take full notes longhand in a notebook to type up later.

It helps that I can write/type super fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elfbane wrote:

I go to the dollar store and pick up one of those coilbound notebooks.

Throughout the session take note on where they go, who they talk to, things they learn, things they don't learn.
If there's a fight, track hit points or the like, how was the scenery used? how did the battle flow? who killed what?
If someone says a particularly clever thing, try to preserve it for the summary.
If we decide a barstool does four damage, take a note of any rulings.
If an idea pops into my head about a thing that would be happening elsewhere, make a note.

It's a stream of consciousness thing as the session progresses.
Afterwards, look it over and categorize the fragments.

Pick out the plotty stuff and write a summary.
Pick out the rulesy stuff an add it to a compilation.
Pick out NPCs and make up index cards and flesh them out a bit more.
Maybe set up a clock or the like for world event or faction reactions.

After that, I have no more need for the raw, in the moment notes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Ralya
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Engine Publishing (enginepublishing.com)
badge
The Forgotten Bananas
mbmbmbmbmb
My happy medium seems to be taking notes when I GM (without which I can't remember anything the next time around, and miss all sorts of details), but not when I play.

I used to take notes while I played, but these days I usually prefer to play the types of RPG that don't benefit from that. I'd make an exception for something like an old-school hexcrawl or dungeon crawl game, where you might well need to make your own maps and notes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.