Dungeon World Roleplaying Game
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Ninth World Guidebook
Storm King's Thunder
The Cthulhu Hack: Convicts & Cthulhu
The GameMaster's Apprentice Instructions
Tiny Dungeon 2nd Edition
Adventure Kit: Oath of the Frozen King
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
Alone Against the Dark (2nd edition)
Ironsworn
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

RPG» Forums » General Discussion » Game Masters

Subject: Plants and Robots (help) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Baker
msg tools
new user
Hey

We can use some help.
Recently my girlfriend and I picked up the rpg's again. We play a one-person sci-fi adventure with very simplified Runequest (d100) rules. It will take place in Holland in 5 years and the story has been stolen from They Live so far because I was pretty sure that she did not see that movie and I have a little bit of space to write a nice story in the weeks that are still going to play here on earth. In other words, an alien race is undercover as humans and has hijacked politics and the media. In this case for raw materials.

My girlfriend, however, has created a character who studies botany and has robots as a hobby. Her only combat style is self-defense. This is therefore not a combat heavy campaign.

In the first session she has already found stuff in a vacant engineering school to be able to make a robot herself, so 1 skill is already covered nicely but botany is rather far from my bed for me.

Do you have nice space or sci-fi ideas and hooks for the story? For when we are here on earth or already in space. Pros if they have anything to do with plant or robotics.

Thanks

Pascal

Edit: They Live has been replaced with Invasion of the Body Snatchers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Azukail Games
msg tools
designer
publisher
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
mbmbmbmbmb
Plants make me think immediately of stuff like Invasion of the Body Snatchers and The Day of the Triffids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Baker
msg tools
new user
Azukail wrote:
Plants make me think immediately of stuff like Invasion of the Body Snatchers and The Day of the Triffids.

Body Snatchers could well be a far better species than Ghoul/ Fascinators for this player. Alienplants that are grow into the minds of people are a lot harder to beat than just blowing up some satellites though and I don't know why the unimportant people are still not alien when it's body snatchers doing the snatching. Cool idea though, maybe I can find a way to make the switch in time.

Edit: She could offcourse use her botany skill to find a cure of the snatchers and go full Pandemicstyle. She loves that game. Thanks for the advice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Constantin
Canada
flag msg tools
for starters

http://breadthofpopsanity.blogspot.com/2018/08/killer-plants...

I wrote a 3 part article on killer plants. it should have something you can work with to give your killer plants something fun.

2ndly, I once built a species for my own world that is best described as a cross between a mad scientists colonies and the Hutterites.

here's a link to a free book with them (that includes a map of their farm)
https://play.google.com/store/books/details/C_N_Constantin_D...

but yeah, have your plant species seed the filthy creatures so they can control them for their own nefarious schemes (even if it's just so they can have more fertilizer.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Curato
France
Albi
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Plants are also the villains in Asimov's Explorers All! novel. Two human explorers find a pair of planets inhabited by different species with a common thing : they tend large fields of the same plants, without eating them. Deciding that something is amiss, the two men head straight to Earth to warn that a third, more powerful species must be travelling around.

In fact, the plants use telepathy to enslave animals, spread and remove technological threats. They chose the explorers to spread to Earth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Thesixtdoctor wrote:
Do you have nice space or sci-fi ideas and hooks for the story?

Enemy aliens are plant-based, using plant technology. Triffids as shock troops or sentinels. Fight them with invasive species from Earth suped up with their technology.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Baker
msg tools
new user
I really like the idea of the plant enemies like in the body snatchers. It gives me a lot of motives for these pods, giving my campaign more depth and color. Like; how are they terraforming the planet to better suit their needs. Why did they invade earth? How are the pods behaving?

Things like: Making us eat food from their planet so we produce better fertilizer, actively causing global warm to better suit their climate. Making lots of room for plantations. Keeping us poor so we don't use much space and raw materials. Being overly nice to plants.

It is starting to live in my head now. Thank for the help, and that awesome plant bestiary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Curato
France
Albi
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thesixtdoctor wrote:
Keeping us poor so we don't use much space and raw materials.

Also, a poor civilization will rely on tech that releases a lot of carbon (such as coal- or wood-fueled heating and transportation) and various carbon-based waste (such as nonhygienic storage and processing of food and body waste). Making even more warming gases and fertilizer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Stevens
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Role playing since the beginning.
badge
You on the list? https://rpggeek.com/geeklist/47027/
mbmbmbmbmb
The alien presence on Earth can be deduced by the effect their own bacteria and exhalations have on the bio sphere. A dedicated biologist may notice plants failing to grow properly and have records available that show this strange "disease" started X years ago at location Y. Other people in the field may agree but for some reason the "top" people say its nothing and urge the researchers to look at something else. (there are 2 clues in this situation)

At the same time a friend, who runs "bird flu" detectors at a major airport is also getting concerned with the number of 1st class passengers that pass through the detectors showing "unusual readings" that again the higher ups at the airport are strangely minimising (2 more clues).

A lab mate, who does stuff with agricultural drones, and is working on harvester robots, mysteriously disappears after leaving a cryptic SMS that she has discovered "something" about the new wheat hybrids that only her specially designed bots can detect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Curato
France
Albi
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Also about birds - some amateur or pro ornithologists discover that the migrating birds no longer use the same paths, because their food sources have been moved/changed.

Or maybe those same birds flock into the cities because the surrounding countryside is no longer inhabitable for them, or the opposite, because they find better food sources around the cities where the invaders are spreading.

Also works for any sort of animals, but birds are most obvious because they catch our eyes. Sometimes literally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Hellar
msg tools
designer
1) garden of evil
A few aliens low on the organization charts decide to make some extra cash by planting alien plants that can be processed for illegal narcotic eye drops.

the plants are grow in old industrial cites since they need what would be toxic soul to grow into

the plants are deadly to animals so the site are guarded by tiny remote control robot insect which produce sub sonic sounds to drive off animal to prevent anyone needing to investigate a sudden rash of mass animal deaths

payoff:
a concentrated form of the drug can knock out a alien if sprayed into their eyes while being harmless to a human

2) tourists
another alien race which can not survive on earth instead uses remote control androids disguised as humans to check out earth before humans get wiped out. They act even more like obnoxious tourist die to not having to worry about getting hurt or arrested.

payoff:
gain information from sympathetic tag a log child / girlfriend of rich tourist

3) invasive species
seeds from illegally smuggled in alien fruit gets into sewar system and begins to thrive.

spores from adult plants float up in toilet and sprout into a mobile form that seeks out places to plant themselves

not wishing to exterminate the plants by entering the sewer and not trusting humans not to collect samples, small robot are sent in to kill off the plants

Payoff:
plant samples, take control of fleet of small lightly armed drones

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Baker
msg tools
new user
The next NPC is so going be be an ornithologist
Thanks for the help. I just got the M-Space book and with your help and some free time, I'm pretty convident that i'm going to rock this.

One more question you could help with:

I'm looking for a anti-pod cure to make pod-people normal people again. If anyone has some ideas I might consider building in the story it would help a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Curato
France
Albi
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mmmh, maybe not cure them immediately (it takes time to remove something from the nerves). Maybe a chemical to sever the link between their neurons and the plants, thus making them able to act on their own again? Then another trick can be devised to cure them completely.

Clue 1: some people react weirdly when close to some specific compound.

Clue 2: someone is working to remove this compound from the city.

Edit: your choice of how long the pre-cure grants freedom, and whether the previous pod-people retain a memory of what they did or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grinch
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'Cause we know what we feel...
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
There are any number of books, movies, and comics that feature animal/robot hybrids (cyborgs). I'm drawing a blank on thinking of the "same thing" but with plants... Like, a mechanoid cactus might be cool?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grinch
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'Cause we know what we feel...
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
Or like, a tree-climbing robot with 50 long, dexterous arms, that is built to rove through the canopy of orchards and pick all the ripe fruit. Industry, baby! And it's got a small laser to zap destructive bugs. And a big laser to zap thieves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Curato
France
Albi
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ctimmins wrote:
Or like, a tree-climbing robot with 50 long, dexterous arms, that is built to rove through the canopy of orchards and pick all the ripe fruit. Industry, baby! And it's got a small laser to zap destructive bugs. And a big laser to zap thieves.

Midnight in the Garden of Evil.

- Hey, what is that huge spider-like thing?
- Oh, it's a fruit-picking robot. Harmless.
- Even when it is aiming a lasgun at us?
- uh-oh... they're not supposed to have these. Did we pick the wrong apple or something?
- RUN!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Baker
msg tools
new user
Robots to work and protect the harvest fields sounds really good. The Pods have already taken over some high tech companies so that would be a really good next step for them. That and the players has knowledge : robots so it's a great place to take take the campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.