Dungeon World Roleplaying Game
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Ninth World Guidebook
Storm King's Thunder
The Cthulhu Hack: Convicts & Cthulhu
The GameMaster's Apprentice Instructions
Tiny Dungeon 2nd Edition
Adventure Kit: Oath of the Frozen King
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
Alone Against the Dark (2nd edition)
Ironsworn
Esteban Manchado Velázquez
msg tools
new user
Hi! This is my first post here.

I wrote a small GM-less game about activism. It could easily be adapted to other activists, but the game is based on the suffragettes specifically. It's for 3 players and it can be played in 2-3h. You could play with only two players but there are always three characters, so you would have to share the third one. You can download from here:

http://hardcorenarrativist.org/deedsnotwords/

I am looking for playtesters that can tell me how the sessions went and how to improve the game. Feedback is appreciated even if you don't get to actually play it, but I'm primarily interested in people playing the game and telling me how it went and how to improve the experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"All history is made up. Good history is made up by good historians; bad history is made up by the others." -David Macaulay
badge
"If I have any lasting worth, it will be because I have tried to make people remember what the Earth is meant to look like." -Mary Oliver, 1935-2019, RIP
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Esteban, I'm not volunteering to play, but having recently visited The Women's Rights National Historical Park I can tell you that the preferred word is "suffragist" rather than suffragette.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sos1 wrote:
Hi Esteban, I'm not volunteering to play, but having recently visited The Women's Rights National Historical Park I can tell you that the preferred word is "suffragist" rather than suffragette.

Not all games are set in the US.

That aside, how was your visit? Seems like quite a place.

The game also looks interesting. I might give it a whirl if I can find the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"All history is made up. Good history is made up by good historians; bad history is made up by the others." -David Macaulay
badge
"If I have any lasting worth, it will be because I have tried to make people remember what the Earth is meant to look like." -Mary Oliver, 1935-2019, RIP
mbmbmbmbmb
E Decker wrote:
sos1 wrote:

I understand that, but if you can appeal to a broader user base with a simple word change, why not do so?

Quote:
That aside, how was your visit? Seems like quite a place.

It's interesting. It's very small - just a single two-story building and the adjoining lot where the 1848 suffragist convention was held - with a lot of well-done historical dioramas, artifacts, gift shop, etc. It's worth a visit if you're near there, but is too small to make a big trip for, unless it's a personal goal.

Of most interest to me was the Harriet Tubman exhibit and gift shop items - she's a personal hero of mine, and lived a few miles away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Hardy
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
sos1 wrote:
E Decker wrote:
sos1 wrote:

I understand that, but if you can appeal to a broader user base with a simple word change, why not do so?

You needed to look at the actual game. The game is about the Suffragettes. This refers to specific "radical" group of women in the UK. The word suffragette was used as a way to belittle those in the suffragist movement. However, like many other marginalized groups, this group of women embraced the term as a way to disempower it.

I believe the game is actually focused on the secret body guards of this group. These women protected other women from arrest, assault, and assassination in the UK.

So, it would be wrong to refer to it as suffragist because it is not about a generic advocate of women's rights to vote. The game is historical and is about playing a game about belonging to a group of women who chose to use the term suffragette and that term is still used to refer to that specific group and not to a general advocacy of a woman's right to vote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SteamCraft wrote:
You needed to look at the actual game. The game is about the Suffragettes. This refers to specific "radical" group of women in the UK.

I stand corrected - I confess I did not look at the game. Ignore my earlier comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
new user
As it was pointed out by Jamie, the game centres around the radical group in the UK.

To be honest, I feel that the rules would work for many different kinds of activists (and of course any suffragists), but the examples and the focus of the game are the women of the WSPU (Women's Social and Political Union). If Harriet Tubman is one of your heroes, I think this could be totally up your alley!

That said, the stories told using this game don't need to turn out historical, and the players don't have to be that familiar with the history of the suffragettes. The examples and prompts on the back of the character sheet (see the second page of http://hardcorenarrativist.org/deedsnotwords/Deeds%20not%20W...) gives ideas for the things you need to come up with.

For reference: when I played I was the only one really familiar with them, and we didn't have any problems (and I didn't have to drive the story). It felt fairly easy for the other players to come up with their bits, and one of them didn't even have that much experience with story games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
new user
E Decker wrote:
The game also looks interesting. I might give it a whirl if I can find the time.

That would be great! Let me know if you give it a try and/or if you have any feedback about the text or mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
catty_ big
United Kingdom
London (sort of)
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
sos1 wrote:

The two are very different: the Suffragists, such as Millicent Fawcett, were mainstream campaigners for votes for women, whereas the Suffragettes, such as Emily Pankhurst, were the more radical ones, who engaged in violent criminal activity in furtherance of their aims. In fact, a propos Esteban's game, Deeds Not Words was the slogan of the radical element, who thought the non-violent suffragists were getting nowhere with their peaceful protests, and believed that more extreme action was called for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
new user
I have updated the main PDF with some historical notes, both to give more context and to give further ideas and inspiration when playing. See:

http://hardcorenarrativist.org/deedsnotwords/Deeds%20not%20W...
http://hardcorenarrativist.org/deedsnotwords/

Not that the games necessarily have to be historical, of course, but many people appreciate the extra historical background.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ld paulson

Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be in for giving it a look and some proofreading.

I was actually JUST thinking about how great it would be to have this as a theme for an RPG. A lot of people don't realize how brutally women in the movement were treated. I'll leave it at that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.