Dungeon World Roleplaying Game
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Ninth World Guidebook
Storm King's Thunder
The Cthulhu Hack: Convicts & Cthulhu
The GameMaster's Apprentice Instructions
Tiny Dungeon 2nd Edition
Adventure Kit: Oath of the Frozen King
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
Alone Against the Dark (2nd edition)
Ironsworn
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

RPG» Forums » General Discussion » RPG Design

Subject: Facing the Titan - WIP of a Story-Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicolas Ronvel
msg tools
designer
Hi all !

I'm a french game-creator, and I'm putting in the public my first draft in english of the game I'm working on : Facing the Titan.

http://www.gulix.fr/blog/2019/01/02/facing-the-titan-the-fir...

It's a story-game about Companions who will face a Titan, and possibly slay it. It's not about finding a way to kill it, it's about discovering who are the Companions, who is the Titan, why do the world need saving and how it will end.

Godzilla and Shadow of the Colossus are the main sources of inspiration.

The mechanics are based on Swords Without Master / Sorceress Bloody Sorceress, with dice rolls setting the Tone for the scene.

It's GM-Less, with zero-prep, for 2-3 hours of play.

I'm currently in the "draft part" of the project. The rules are made up, but may still vary a little bit. Explanations could be enhanced, and I'm collecting feedbacks from readers & playtesters. Feel free to comment / criticize / test / question it !

Goal is to go Kickstarter (to raise money for illustrations) in a few months.

Here's a test for the illustrations, by Roger Heal :

Thanks for reading !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esteban Manchado Velázquez
msg tools
new user
For the record, I saw this game somewhere else and it seems really interesting!

I seem to recall that I was confused about some things regarding the game mechanics, so I'll try to read it again and give some useful feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
new user
Some feedback:

* I think it would be helpful to provide a Motifs sheet, and a Titan sheet. Are the titan sheets the last pages, or something else? I think seeing them early on would help bring context to the rules, make would make everything easier to understand (eg. at first I thought the Motifs sheet was a list of motifs to use; and seeing the different empty columns upfront would have helped understand the game better). It's like seeing the structure upfront. Probably having a summary at the start, and/or a reference sheet of some kind, would help, too.
* It's not clear to me what the text at the end of page 7 is: simply inspirational? Something you are supposed to say when you start the game (possibly adapted, as this sort of assumes a fantasy setting)?
* I'm confused about the "The Doubles call the Titan" on page 9. At first it wasn't clear to me what the "questions" were, and it only became clear when I kept reading (and, considering there's already a "The Doubles restore the Truth" section, what's even the use of mentioning the questions in "The Doubles call the Titan"?). How do you choose the Titan tone? Freely, from the list?
* The examples of answers and introductions make me doubt that I will have enough imagination to come up with interesting answers. I have the impression that part of it is the use of so many made-up names, which are usually hard to come up with on the spot. Maybe this is not a problem, though.
* Personally, I find it somewhat irritating to constantly read "he" and "him" throughout the text.

I think I understood the rest, although I skimmed around the end. If I play this some day I'll post again with my experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Ronvel
msg tools
designer
First, thanks for taking the time to read and make a feedback ! It's greatly appreciated !

emanchado wrote:
Some feedback:

* I think it would be helpful to provide a Motifs sheet, and a Titan sheet. Are the titan sheets the last pages, or something else? I think seeing them early on would help bring context to the rules, make would make everything easier to understand (eg. at first I thought the Motifs sheet was a list of motifs to use; and seeing the different empty columns upfront would have helped understand the game better). It's like seeing the structure upfront. Probably having a summary at the start, and/or a reference sheet of some kind, would help, too.

The rules provided here are the rough first draft of the rules. And a Motifs Sheet is in the work. A prototype one is available on the french post (game is written in french first), and I don't know why I didn't provide it on the english one. Will correct than soon.

Look for "Feuilles de Motifs"

Regarding the Titan Sheets, the last pages contain the data of them. I didn't provide them in another format cause I don't have yet illustrations for the Titans (I use copyrighted material for my demos, waiting for proper illustrations).

I'll see to add link to those documents at the start of the rules, or at least description of them. Thanks for the input on the Motifs sheet.

Quote:

* It's not clear to me what the text at the end of page 7 is: simply inspirational? Something you are supposed to say when you start the game (possibly adapted, as this sort of assumes a fantasy setting)?

Yep, that's that. May not be clear indeed, and could cause confusion with a non fantasy setting. Will look to it.

Quote:

* I'm confused about the "The Doubles call the Titan" on page 9. At first it wasn't clear to me what the "questions" were, and it only became clear when I kept reading (and, considering there's already a "The Doubles restore the Truth" section, what's even the use of mentioning the questions in "The Doubles call the Titan"?). How do you choose the Titan tone? Freely, from the list?

I reread the section, and it could be put in another way. "First roll that get a Double introduce the Titan". The "Questions" do not need to be put here.
For the Titan Tone, there's a FRAMED later on on the Tones section of the Titan Phase. Should be put in the general Tones section of the game, I think. The basic mode is you select a Tone freely in the Titan Tones list when you need a Titan Tone. In the expert Mode, the higher dice you roll set the Tone as each Titan Tone is matched with a number from 2 to 6. With a double 1, you choose.

Quote:

* The examples of answers and introductions make me doubt that I will have enough imagination to come up with interesting answers. I have the impression that part of it is the use of so many made-up names, which are usually hard to come up with on the spot. Maybe this is not a problem, though.

That's not the first time this issue is brought up to me. And with less impro-inclined player, I experienced blocks (? don't know if it's the correct word) of imagination. I'm currently gathering random list of items to help with this issue.

Quote:

* Personally, I find it somewhat irritating to constantly read "he" and "him" throughout the text.

That's quite an issue for me. I don't know what is the general use for english. In french, male is the neutral gender. For clarification purpose, I'm currently thinking of making players female, and characters male. He / She to differenciate the Player from the Character. But it makes more sense in french as the adjectives are also gendered. Also, I often read the use of them in english text.
Anyway, I've planned to get a native english proof-reader to correct the final text.

Quote:

I think I understood the rest, although I skimmed around the end. If I play this some day I'll post again with my experience.

Thanks again for the feedback !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
new user
Gulix wrote:
First, thanks for taking the time to read and make a feedback ! It's greatly appreciated !

No problem! It's an interesting game, and I know how hard it is to get feedback (especially written) from people, so I wanted to help a bit :-D

Gulix wrote:
emanchado wrote:
Some feedback:

The rules provided here are the rough first draft of the rules. And a Motifs Sheet is in the work. A prototype one is available on the french post (game is written in french first), and I don't know why I didn't provide it on the english one. Will correct than soon.

Look for "Feuilles de Motifs"

Regarding the Titan Sheets, the last pages contain the data of them. I didn't provide them in another format cause I don't have yet illustrations for the Titans (I use copyrighted material for my demos, waiting for proper illustrations).

I'll see to add link to those documents at the start of the rules, or at least description of them. Thanks for the input on the Motifs sheet.

Ah, it would have made much more sense like that. Cool, sounds great.

Gulix wrote:
emanchado wrote:

I reread the section, and it could be put in another way. "First roll that get a Double introduce the Titan". The "Questions" do not need to be put here.
For the Titan Tone, there's a FRAMED later on on the Tones section of the Titan Phase. Should be put in the general Tones section of the game, I think. The basic mode is you select a Tone freely in the Titan Tones list when you need a Titan Tone. In the expert Mode, the higher dice you roll set the Tone as each Titan Tone is matched with a number from 2 to 6. With a double 1, you choose.

Oh, I don't see any reference to an expert mode in the text :-/

Gulix wrote:
emanchado wrote:

That's not the first time this issue is brought up to me. And with less impro-inclined player, I experienced blocks (? don't know if it's the correct word) of imagination. I'm currently gathering random list of items to help with this issue.

Yeah, that should definitely help! Names might be interesting, too.

Gulix wrote:
emanchado wrote:

That's quite an issue for me. I don't know what is the general use for english. In french, male is the neutral gender. For clarification purpose, I'm currently thinking of making players female, and characters male. He / She to differenciate the Player from the Character. But it makes more sense in french as the adjectives are also gendered. Also, I often read the use of them in english text.
Anyway, I've planned to get a native english proof-reader to correct the final text.

Many people use the singular "they" in these cases, but I'm sure in many cases you can just rewrite the sentences to not need so many pronouns (I was doing some of these rewrites while reading).

He/She for player and character might be a good convention, I seem to recall I've read a game with a similar split.

Then again, I'm not sure how many people find it as irritating as me :-D Anyway, good job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Ronvel
msg tools
designer
Thanks to some feedback (thanks emanchado !), I've made some revisions to my draft of "Facing the Titan". It can be found here : http://www.gulix.fr/blog/2019/01/16/facing-the-titan-first-r...

And here's a first overview of the illustrations, by Roger Heal :

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.