Dungeon World Roleplaying Game
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Ninth World Guidebook
Storm King's Thunder
The Cthulhu Hack: Convicts & Cthulhu
The GameMaster's Apprentice Instructions
Tiny Dungeon 2nd Edition
Adventure Kit: Oath of the Frozen King
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
Alone Against the Dark (2nd edition)
Ironsworn
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

And, as was mentioned earlier, the authors of the Valerian series of books, Pierre Christin and Jean-Claude Mézières, were major pioneers and highly influential, as far as Bande Dessinée Science Fiction is concerned.

Highly recommended !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The shovel was a ground-breaking invention.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gulix wrote:
I really love New Crobuzon from Perdido Street Station. Its weirdness, the way it is described in the book. When I read it, it was the first time I really "smelled/heard/sensed" a fictive city.

Nick - get yourself an avatar .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Unwin
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
I didn't originally think much of it, but I now really like Sharn, in the Eberron setting. I don't think I like it as it's usually envisioned, though, as sort of a fantasy New York, bustling with activity.

After reading "Sharn is a virtual ghost town!" I decided to take the numbers and illustrations literally and give the city a very low average population density, with pockets of higher population, but with large volumes that could not be said to have many regular inhabitants. This allowed me to think of Sharn as its own "points of light" setting, thereby making it darker and more dangerous, and generally easier (for me) to imagine adventuring in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel
Poland
Valley of Dragons
flag msg tools
"Blut Aus Nord is an artistic concept. We don’t need to belong to a specific category of people to exist. If black metal is just this subversive feeling and not a basic musical style, then Blut Aus Nord is a black metal act. But...
badge
if we have to be compared to all these childish satanic clowns, please let us work outwards from this pathetic circus. This form of art deserves something else than these mediocre bands and their old music composed 10 years before by someone else."
mb
Locus Eyrie - from the fiction created by the band The Axis of Perdition. A mix of Silent Hill and H.P. Lovecraft. It's like the street where Erich Zann lived, but it's a whole city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Now I'm doing Google image searches of a bunch of these. It's great. Excellent QotD!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
Mega City One..Everywhere else is the wasteland.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Wakanda from the movie Black Panther because it portrays a good image of the continent Africa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mixu Lauronen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The revolution lasted six minutes and covered one hundred and twelve meters.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not the first, but Lankhmar. Especially the Street of Gods (the Gods in Lankhmar and the Gods of Lankhmar), and the underground city, inhabited by rats. I like rats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't think of a lot of fictional cities that stand out to me, but Republic City from Avatar: Legend of Korra comes to mind. An interesting mix of technology and tradition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"All history is made up. Good history is made up by good historians; bad history is made up by the others." -David Macaulay
badge
"If I have any lasting worth, it will be because I have tried to make people remember what the Earth is meant to look like." -Mary Oliver, 1935-2019, RIP
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised people are listing Tolkien cities. There are some from the Silmarillion, true, but there's really nothing in Lord of the Rings that is fleshed out enough to have a good sense of.

Minas Tirith? I couldn't name one shop there. There's a lot of walls, a gate, the steward's palace, and um, maybe a barracks and a stable? That's all I remember, and I've read LotR more than twenty times. It's not a very well detailed place. (Edit: oh, I forgot we also know the Houses of Healing there.)

I don't consider Rivendell a city - it's barely a town. And can you name one shop there? No, I'll bet you can't.

Laketown is a decent town, but not a city. Bree is a very nice town - but no city. And the Shire! It's a collection of delightful hamlets and villages and there may be a town somewhere in there, but definitely no cities. I live where I do because it's as close to the Shire as the USA has.

Tolkien was much better at giving life to his smaller communities. I suspect he didn't much care for cities either, given how little he actually describes them. There's not one that has as much life as Lankhmar, for example. I know more about Vogelsang (from the excellent book The Wicked Enchantment by Benary-Isbert) than I do about Minas Tirith. Heck, I know more about the 100 Aker Wood than I do about Minas Tirith!

Don't get me wrong - I love Tolkien. But giving life to cities is not his strong point. And, since I'm not a city person, I'm okay with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Hardy
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Space: Babylon 5 or Deep Space 9. I know that B5 would qualify as a city, but I am not sure if DS9 would. On the other hand, living on DS9 would seem safer. I also think DS9 is more developed in terms of major players one would interact with. However, B5 was a better show.

Fantasy: Republic City from Legend of Korra.

Urban Fantasy: Sunnydale. Sure there are a lot of vampires, but it has a good club scene.

RPG: Night City because 80's Cyperpunk is awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Unwin
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
sos1 wrote:
I'm surprised people are listing Tolkien cities. There are some from the Silmarillion, true, but there's really nothing in Lord of the Rings that is fleshed out enough to have a good sense of.

Not everyone needs something fleshed out to the same degree or in the same way you seem to want. I don't want to live in Sharn and I absolutely don't want my players to shop there, but I'd love for them to have to deal with a gang of Daask skullthumpers who using the rat-infested vastness of a disused tower warehouse as a base for their raids on nearby luxury apartments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"All history is made up. Good history is made up by good historians; bad history is made up by the others." -David Macaulay
badge
"If I have any lasting worth, it will be because I have tried to make people remember what the Earth is meant to look like." -Mary Oliver, 1935-2019, RIP
mbmbmbmbmb
enduran wrote:
sos1 wrote:

Not everyone needs something fleshed out to the same degree or in the same way you seem to want. I don't want to live in Sharn and I absolutely don't want my players to shop there, but I'd love for them to have to deal with a gang of Daask skullthumpers who using the rat-infested vastness of a disused tower warehouse as a base for their raids on nearby luxury apartments.

Actually, this tends to prove my point. You've given more detail about Sharn than we know about Minas Tirith.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
Based upon use? The capital of the Republic of Darokin, in the D&D known world (Mystara).

Actually liked? Tie: Roke, in Earthsea; Siech Tabr, Dune.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Hellar
msg tools
designer
simon r green's nightside
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Gorski
United States
Prescott
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Get my Mac and iOS software for Traveller at http://naasirka.weebly.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
The floating anti-gray palace in Capital on Capital in The Third Imperium is pretty cool. Great articles on Capital in this magazine issue:

It's interesting that Traveller has lots of descriptions of worlds but cities, not so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
msg tools
badge
sos1 wrote:

Minas Tirith? I couldn't name one shop there. There's a lot of walls, a gate, the steward's palace, and um, maybe a barracks and a stable? That's all I remember, and I've read LotR more than twenty times. It's not a very well detailed place. (Edit: oh, I forgot we also know the Houses of Healing there.)

[snip]

Don't get me wrong - I love Tolkien. But giving life to cities is not his strong point. And, since I'm not a city person, I'm okay with that

I am happy to admit that I like the Minis Tirith in my head more than the actual city as described in the books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike D.
United States
Metairie
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
committed hero wrote:
Tanelorn - always been a big Elric fan.

I'm also a Michael Morecock fan and the things about Tanelorn I loved is that it exists in every reality of the Million Spheres and you can find peace there, at least for a little while until the Balance swings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teh Slipperboy
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
I'm a big fan of San Angelo for Champions.

I think I like Sanctuary as a fantasy city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lev
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
Duck and Cover!
mbmbmbmbmb
The City of Greyhawk! Because it's Greyhawk, that's why. Seriously, as a neophyte D&D player it was the setting I played in most often. I just can't ignore my feelings of nostalgia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Abbott
Canada
GTA
of Confusion
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cylinder, from K.W. Jeter's "Farewell Horizontal"

Totally off-the-wall concept. Took me by surprise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Ahr
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
It starts like hello and ends like goodbye...
badge
The spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hrm. I love Waterdeep from D&D lore, because it's packed to the gills with history and intrigue, which is all boosted due to being a port town (I love the sea, pirate lore, etc). It's also loaded with some of D&D's most memorable characters, including one of my all time favorites, Mirt the Moneylender. Honorable mentions: Rapture from BioShock, Innsmouth from The Shadow Over Innsmouth, and Hobbiton from the Lord of the Rings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Silva
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

+

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Who remembers this ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Mallet wrote:

Who remembers this ?

That's actually a tech-generation or two later than what I remember (Sim City 2000). I'm not used to feeling TOO old on this site, but if this is your nostalgia, then I'm about to shake my cane at you to get you off my lawn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.