Dungeon World Roleplaying Game
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
Ninth World Guidebook
Storm King's Thunder
The Cthulhu Hack: Convicts & Cthulhu
The GameMaster's Apprentice Instructions
Tiny Dungeon 2nd Edition
Adventure Kit: Oath of the Frozen King
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition)
Alone Against the Dark (2nd edition)
Ironsworn
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mawilson4 wrote:
Mallet wrote:

Who remembers this ?

That's actually a tech-generation or two later than what I remember (Sim City 2000). I'm not used to feeling TOO old on this site, but if this is your nostalgia, then I'm about to shake my cane at you to get you off my lawn.

Actually, I was playing the first version of Sim City, but I couldn't find an image of it on the internet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebus Carnival
United States
Da Burbz
DC METRO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oh, you can stand it alright.
mbmbmb
Cicely, Alaska.

It is a convergence of modern myth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan, "Son of Hett"
United States
The Triangle
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sdonohue wrote:
I think I like Sanctuary as a fantasy city.
+1 to that.

—photograph by Patrick Sponaugle

I read Tolkien first, but, as noted, the urban descriptions are paltry. Sanctuary was the first fantasy city I could imagine myself walking around. Plus, it has all the best scoundrels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
sos1 wrote:
I'm surprised people are listing Tolkien cities. There are some from the Silmarillion, true, but there's really nothing in Lord of the Rings that is fleshed out enough to have a good sense of.

I love Gondolin before the fall, that city is more fleshed out, since it fell from betrayal within (and had tunnels!) But it doesn't make it into my top ten list of best fictional cities.

Númenor would be in that list, but as it is an allegory of Atlantis it is a city and an island and a nation. Since it is more than just a city, I left it out of this QOTD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Spleen23 wrote:
simon r green's nightside

I actually prefer his Haven from the Hawk & Fisher series. It's a very nice city that mixes bits of Lankhmar and Ankh-Morpork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan, "Son of Hett"
United States
The Triangle
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pdzoch wrote:
chuckdee68 wrote:
What is your favorite fictional city (from novels, games, or anywhere), and why?
(emphasis added)

Ah well, from anywhere? In that case, I choose any number of the cities in my D&D fantasy world. They are the best cities in all the multiverse, for I have created them. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Terhune
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
This is a blatant example of frivolous geek gold spending.
badge
I spent 100 geek gold and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
Roanapur from the anime Black Lagoon.

It has at least three major organized crime groups, a distinct lack of non-corrupt police, and a church full of gunrunners. It has everything a group of characters on the edge of lawlessness needs for adventure (much like the lead characters in the show).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
The FOQNEs (Franchised Organized Quasi-National Entities) of Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash are such a vivid picture of a post-modern civilization. It's an apocalyptic setting without the apocalypse.

And then he further refines that in The Diamond Age with his phyles, which are a maturation of the concept. It's a full realization of anarcho-capitalism, with all of its benefits and warts. New Chusan is a beautiful and realized city, and old Shanghai is portrayed beautifully.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Azukail Games
msg tools
designer
publisher
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
Spleen23 wrote:
simon r green's nightside

I actually prefer his Haven from the Hawk & Fisher series. It's a very nice city that mixes bits of Lankhmar and Ankh-Morpork.

Hawk and Fisher once had a drink in Strangefellows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul T
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
https://www.youtube.com/c/Catweazle00
badge
CatWeazle
mbmbmbmbmb
Nessus from Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun series.

"A few of the rooms into which I looked held walls in which there had once ticked a thousand or more clocks of various kinds, and though all were dead now, their chimes silenced and their hands corroded at hours that would never come again, I thought them good omens for one who sought the Atrium of Time."

A close second is the city castle of Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake.

“The castle was round and about them, widespread and as un-chartable as a dark day.”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Very Stout
United States
Back and to the Left-
Up a Bit, Perfect
flag msg tools
An old liberal optimist
badge
An Elf, a Human, and a Dwarf walk into a bar...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ankh Morpork, City State of the Invincible Overlord, and TunFaire.

All for different reasons of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
One Squirrel to rule them all, One Squirrel to find them, One Squirrel to bring them all and in the darkness TPK them.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it's between Gotham City (Batman) and Mos Eisley (Star Wars).

Mos Eisley just steals it. I've ran that many RPG adventures around Mos Eisley I feel I know the city like I live there. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Dee
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Some background on the question- I was creating a city for a campaign that I was starting, and just looking through the options in doing so brought the question to mind.

For me, I love the cities that are a strange melange of different ideas and stretch the idea of how a city is defined, so Sigil, Sharn, London in Mortal Engines, and Nexus are my front-runners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Silva
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From anime
Metropolis

Manga
ZALEM/Tiphares (gunnm)
Olympus (appleseed)
The city (Blame)

BD
Urani
Olh (La clé des confins) this one is really detailed.(rpg ready)

From cartoons:
Bregna (Aeon Flux)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Bailey
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
“I would have made this instrumental, but the words got in the way...” —XTC, “No Language in Our Lungs”
badge
“Self-discipline isn’t everything; look at Pol Pot.” —Helen Fielding, _Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason_
mbmbmbmbmb
Imrryr the Beautiful, the Dreaming City. Not least for inspiring one of my favourite Hawkwind songs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
junkers doll
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Gulix wrote:
I really love New Crobuzon from Perdido Street Station. Its weirdness, the way it is described in the book. When I read it, it was the first time I really "smelled/heard/sensed" a fictive city.
It's been a while since I've been back to it, but I recall loving Mieville's world-building a heck of a lot more than his characters, and I think Armada from The Scar was his crowning glory: a constantly moving city comprised of disparate commandeered naval vessels, all soldered and lashed together in aesthetically erratic but entirely functional ways, with increasingly excessive means to power such a huge construct across the ocean. Gorgeous.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The shovel was a ground-breaking invention.
mbmbmbmbmb
junkers wrote:
Gulix wrote:
I really love New Crobuzon from Perdido Street Station. Its weirdness, the way it is described in the book. When I read it, it was the first time I really "smelled/heard/sensed" a fictive city.
It's been a while since I've been back to it, but I recall loving Mieville's world-building a heck of a lot more than his characters, and I think Armada from The Scar was his crowning glory: a constantly moving city comprised of disparate commandeered naval vessels, all soldered and lashed together in aesthetically erratic but entirely functional ways, with increasingly excessive means to power such a huge construct across the ocean. Gorgeous.

Another newcomer to the RPGG QOTD! Have some GG for an avatar!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grinch
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'Cause we know what we feel...
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
Atlantis, of course, would be excellent. El Dorado is, by all accounts, a great place.

For gaming, Talismonde would be superb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike D.
United States
Metairie
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now for just plain weirdness I love Scorch One from Wizards...That Ian Miller art is brilliant and Bakshi is a sick genius.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Champlin
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotham City. This came to me first since I am watching Batman TAS right now with my son. Never would I want to live there but that place sure has some personality and great stories.

Another shoutout to Hobbiton. It may not be a city per se but that is a place I would want to live. Hanging out with people all day and eating food? Yes please.

Menzoberranzan. Another place I would stay as far from as possible but the culture is fascinating.

Cloud City. Now that would be a hip place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Champlin
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah, I also really love Sunnydale from Buffy. I love cities and towns that seem like they would be a happy place to live with lots of sunshine but turns out to have some kind of dark and evil secret.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Washington, D.C., while purely fictional, is based on a real place. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford the Youngest (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
"The City" from A|State is pretty well constructed and a very good gothic/noir place to grab ideas from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.