World of Gor: Gorean Roleplaying World Encyclopaedia
These Weird Breads Are Sad
The Solo Investigator's Handbook
Wollstonecraft The Role-Playing Game
Maze of the Blue Medusa
The Two-Headed Serpent
Slaves of the Machine God
The Forsaken Kingdom of Fungithrill
Dungeons & Dragons Basic Set (Second Edition)
Labyrinth Lord
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook
Apocalypse World
Microscope
Vornheim: The Complete City Kit
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Monster Manual (D&D 5e)
Kids on Bikes: Deluxe Edition
Forbidden Lands Core Boxed Set
Passion Guides My Hand
Book 01: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain
The Flood
Warhammer Adventure
B1: In Search of the Unknown
Masks of Nyarlathotep (3rd & 4th edition)
The Deryni Adventure Game
Eyes Only
B10: Night's Dark Terror
Deadlands
The Great Pendragon Campaign
T1: The Village of Hommlet
Forgotten Realms Campaign Set
Book 1: The War-Torn Kingdom
Faction Guide
Swords & Wizardry Complete Rulebook
The One Ring: Adventures over the Edge of the Wild
Gildenbrief (Issue 25 - Jul 1992)
Monster of the Week
The Covetous Poet's Adventure Creator and Solo GM Guidebook
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
The Strange
Microscope Explorer
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
Because they have no body to go with.
badge
Why don't skeleton ever go trick or treating?
mbmbmbmbmb
A question suggested by

Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Do you prefer to design your own characters, or are you willing to submit to the tyranny of random dice rolls?

Why do you prefer one over the other?

Do you have a question you want asked as QOTD? Post here!

And if you want to find an old QOTD: The big QOTD Summary and Subscription Thread Volume 3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bokser
Israel
Pardes Hanna
flag msg tools
designer
Guess What?
badge
You Rock.
mbmbmbmbmb
pdzoch wrote:
A question suggested by

Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Do you prefer to design your own characters, or are you willing to submit to the tyranny of random dice rolls?

Why do you prefer one over the other?

You make that sound so appealing.

Character creation is an essential part of the experience for me. If I can avoid rolling dice during this stage, I avoid it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Curato
France
Albi
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The only moment I would consider rolling dice is in L5R when you can make Heritage rolls (for the unitiated, these rolls can give you either a virtue of your ancestry, or a curse from the ancient past).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bxrrr wrote:

You make that sound so appealing.

I liked Roger's turn of phrase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Azukail Games
msg tools
designer
publisher
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
mbmbmbmbmb
For D&D and derived games, not really either. The old method of roll 3d6 and use in the order rolled could create some rather odd characters, but such as "here is an array of numbers, assign them how you like" seems to create characters who are, for want of a better terms, bland. Their stats are above average, but in a rather average way. You don't get any truly exceptional characters with 18 scores (unless using a system that allows upping scores for lowering others more).

I think I prefer rolling, but in a more heroic way. Such as 4d6, take the three highest and assign as liked. Or perhaps 2d6+6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Silva
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me the best character creation is choose OR roll, at every step...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Clason
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer to submit to the tyranny of random dice rolls for character creation. I don't start character creation with a notion of what type of character I want to play. I enjoy fleshing out a character based on random dice rolls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
badge
Made you look!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to go with option 3, point-based system, occasionally roll on custom tables if I don't have a concept in mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
3rik de πrik
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no preference, though char gen ideally shouldn't take very long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is something about rolling dice to make a character I just like. It feels more unique.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
via Imgflip Meme Generator
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Ahr
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
It starts like hello and ends like goodbye...
badge
The spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a bit of both for me. I always have an idea going in but some times I don't always know what additional bits I want to add to flesh the character out. I also find it a fun challenge to figure out how to best distribute state rolls because I like to think in terms of both practicality for my class/role and how it would fit the character's personality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
Currently Playing 2 games: Star Wars Edge of the Empire and Labyrinth Lord (Barrowmaze)
mbmbmbmbmb
My preference depends on the kind of game that is being run. It doesn't depend on system, though, for me, it depends on the GM and the setting and the theme of the game. I've played and run 4e D&D games that used random rolls during character generation because that suited the campaign. I've also done point buy or set attribute arrays in that system, because it fit the campaign.

The same is true for other modern games that I run/play. If I play an older version, like B/X D&D (or Labyrinth Lord) or 1e AD&D, then I prefer rolling IF it fits the campaign. I've played 1e campaigns where the premise was that we were already big damn heroes, and so we had (non-rolled)stats to match - as odd as that sounds in 1e, it worked for the campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford the Youngest (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.seaxeandsorcery.co.uk
badge
Bifford the Youngest
mbmbmbmbmb
It really depends on the game and what I want from the game.

Some games, such as DCC and Fiasco are so much more fun with random rolls.

But games likes D&D, Pathfinder, Exalted, etc I want to be able to dictate what my character is going to be.

Having said that, I quite often employ a 50/50 version. So for example with the D&D game we've just genned characters for I started off by choosing my race and character type via a dice roll but then honed that character into someone I would be happy to play via personal choices rather than randomness - though it was slightly dictated by the STATs rolls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
I pride myself in believing I can play any character as successfully as I can create them for my stories. So to that end, I like the challenge of rolling up a random arch-type and playing it as the dice fall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
msg tools
badge
3rik wrote:
I have no preference, though char gen ideally shouldn't take very long.

This is me, exactly. Just get to playing already!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Trudeau
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer to design my own characters. Some of that may be random, of course, like rolling attributes, but I like having control over the rest. I'm the one who has to play the character, so yeah, I'd like a heavy hand in creating the character.

That being said, I've had a lot of fun creating a couple of Traveller characters (the first one died during the game, not during character creation!) and it was really cool to see how the character developed through the creation process (which is definitely submitting to the tyranny of random dice rolls!). However, most games don't have the kind of character creation depth Traveller does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"All history is made up. Good history is made up by good historians; bad history is made up by the others." -David Macaulay
badge
"We talked a little more of Milesians and Firbolgs; but I do not write what he told me here, as it is at variance with things I have written already, as is often the case with legend, whence comes a pleasing variety." -Lord Dunsany
mbmbmbmbmb
Random dice rolls for character creation have zero appeal to me. I'll play a character that is randomly drawn from a batch of pre-gens, but I really dislike rolling dice during character creation.

I associated with lots of players who loved random character creation when I was university game club advisor. They seemed to throw out half their randomly rolled characters because they were no good. The few times I joined them in such games (Gamma World, mostly), I kept what I got - and they always protested I was hurting the party because my characters were useless! What's the point of randomly rolling if you're not going to use what you get?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer designing as you play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Definitely design my own characters so I can mid-max.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
msg tools
badge
GeoffreyB wrote:
Definitely design my own characters so I can mid-max.

Ah yes, the well-known gamer practice of paying the most average possible price for high stats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lev
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
Duck and Cover!
mbmbmbmbmb
I love random character generation especially when nearly hopeless characters are the result. It makes role playing so much easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
For one-shots, I prefer random. It's a great way to try something out that you wouldn't come up with on your own, or would be hesitant to play for a full campaign. Anything longer, it's all me.

But really, how often are we truly connected to a character before play? I bet I - and others - would be fine with entirely randomized characters more often than we realize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like both and my preference depends on the game system and what others are doing. For D&D I like the roll 4d6 and keep the best three dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Terhune
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
This is a blatant example of frivolous geek gold spending.
badge
I spent 100 geek gold and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
I started to type this answer up about three or four times with varying degrees of dislike for random character generation, only to come to the realization it doesn't quite matter as much as I thought it did.

As a general rule, I prefer to design my characters, especially if I'm going to be playing them in a long-term campaign. But there are exceptions to every rule, and I've had several characters that were mostly the result of random rolls that I enjoyed very much.

So while it's a preference, it's not so strong as to prevent me from playing a game with some amount of randomness in character creation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.