World of Gor: Gorean Roleplaying World Encyclopaedia
These Weird Breads Are Sad
The Solo Investigator's Handbook
Wollstonecraft The Role-Playing Game
Maze of the Blue Medusa
The Two-Headed Serpent
Slaves of the Machine God
The Forsaken Kingdom of Fungithrill
Dungeons & Dragons Basic Set (Second Edition)
Labyrinth Lord
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook
Apocalypse World
Microscope
Vornheim: The Complete City Kit
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Monster Manual (D&D 5e)
Kids on Bikes: Deluxe Edition
Forbidden Lands Core Boxed Set
Passion Guides My Hand
Book 01: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain
The Flood
Warhammer Adventure
B1: In Search of the Unknown
Masks of Nyarlathotep (3rd & 4th edition)
The Deryni Adventure Game
Eyes Only
B10: Night's Dark Terror
Deadlands
The Great Pendragon Campaign
T1: The Village of Hommlet
Forgotten Realms Campaign Set
Book 1: The War-Torn Kingdom
Faction Guide
Swords & Wizardry Complete Rulebook
The One Ring: Adventures over the Edge of the Wild
Gildenbrief (Issue 25 - Jul 1992)
Monster of the Week
The Covetous Poet's Adventure Creator and Solo GM Guidebook
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
The Strange
Microscope Explorer
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
104 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

RPG» Forums » General Discussion » General Role-Playing

Subject: QOTD FEB 4: What's your balance between combat and roleplaying per session? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: qotd [+] Game_Master_Experience [+] [View All]
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
E Decker wrote:
enduran wrote:
It bears repeating: Combat is not the opposite of roleplaying.

Sure. But we all know plenty of people who do play as if that were the case, right?

I know plenty of people who use minis games as RPGs.
I know plenty of people who use RPGs as minis games.

All three are irrelevant to the spirit of the question, unless you're one of those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
Because they have no body to go with.
badge
Why don't skeleton ever go trick or treating?
mbmbmbmbmb
I took the combat vs roleplay to mean combat vs social interaction (as opposed to other non-combat activities).

I like Mark's "three pillars" approach to D&D. And I agree that roleplay could (should?) happen during the entire game and that combat is not an excuse to fall out of roleplaying.

Some have said it depends on the system, the game, and the group. I am certainly inclined to agree. My group consists of a handful of wargamers, so I tend to run a more combat oriented game. Unfortunately, I do not have a player who actually role plays in character (IF that be the purest definition of roleplaying). Every now and then, I will get one who speaks in character (as opposed to paraphrase) and will describe their character's action in wonderfully theatrical narratives, and those are golden moments during the game. -- But I think I am deviating from the question at this moment.

Combat is a large portion of my D&D game. There is a strong narrative told by both me and my players, but it is generally a narrative that leads to the conflict (with smaller conflicts along the way). It is a rare exception that my session does not have combat, so my game is probably closer to 60% combat.

My social interaction in the game is closer to 10% and the rest is exploration. so 60:10:30 combat:social:exploration using Mark's pillars.

We also use miniatures, but is because of both our combat focus and the wargamer background.

My latest adventure was very different for my group. Most of it was social interaction, then exploration, and finally combat (they were itching for it by the time it happened). so 30:50:20 (combat:social:exploration). I had to mentally prepare them ahead of time for the social heavy game. They were out of their comfort zone, but they really enjoyed it.

I'm not 100% sure that the system is a pure driver of combat:non-combat ratio in a game. I am certain that a game that is combat focused could be played socially focused, and vice versa. D&D is probably considered as combat focused game, but I known groups who have had surprisingly little combat in their adventures. D&D 4th Edition was known for its skill challenges that could turn any social engagement into a contest resolved by more than a single die roll. I do not know a whole bunch of different systems, so I could be wrong about any RPG supporting both combat heavy and social heavy styles of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I consider social interaction in an RPG to be a kind of combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Indeed, some people consider social interaction on RPG Geek to be a kind of combat. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
Because they have no body to go with.
badge
Why don't skeleton ever go trick or treating?
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
I consider social interaction in an RPG to be a kind of combat.

"Verbal jousting" if you will.

Reminds me of the rhetorical stance, Everything's an Argument.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Silva
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Combat vs non-combat is still pretty tricky for me, because rules wise I like resolving everything with combat mechanics & setting wise DBZ is combat or combat training which still has combat in it. They use fighting styles as means of transportation...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vincent
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the question was pretty obviously intended to be what percentage of the session do you spend on combat vs. everything else. That said, I have no idea.

The "three pillars" comments piqued my interest, though. Is that a generally accepted framework? In my mind it seems to leave some things out.

Where do skill challenges fit in?

Some games have a lot of Investigation, which may overlap with Social Interaction or Exploration, but may involve something completely different.

Some games have clearly defined Maintenance phases/scenes, like camping in Torchbearer or domain management in Pendragon. Even those games without a formalized maintenance structure will have some amount of time taken up by maintenance activities (choosing daily spells in D&D, for example).

How do you classify Planning and Analysis? It may not be a separate scene or interaction with the GM, but I know in my groups there have been times we've spent a significant amount of time discussing how clues fit together to solve a mystery or planning how to accomplish a difficult task.

And if we're talking about how time is actually spent at the table, there's always a certain amount of out-of-game banter.

I'm sure I've missed a few major activities. Hmm... maybe this is better as a separate QOTD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Dylan
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If my players would just comply with my villains unreasonable demands we could cut combat almost in half!

Otherwise it's as others have said... depends primarily on the group, then probably the genre...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
pdzoch wrote:

I like Mark's "three pillars" approach to D&D. And I agree that roleplay could (should?) happen during the entire game and that combat is not an excuse to fall out of roleplaying.
It's not Mark's, per se; it's in the D&D 5E rules, PHB, p. 8. I don't know if he used those terms prior or not, but they became common parlance in D&D 5E.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
When will the die stop rolling? What face finishes showing?
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on the group. Some groups are happy with 3-4 hour combat sessions. Others and we gloss over the combat to get on with the rest of the game.

So long as there isn't too much down time, I don't mind either approach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Robben
Belgium
Antwerp
Antwerp
flag msg tools
And here...
badge
I should really add something smart and sparkly here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends. Sometimes we have interaction and planning for sessions on end, sometimes we have a 5-minute combat that takes an entire evening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
Currently Playing 2 games: Star Wars Edge of the Empire and Labyrinth Lord (Barrowmaze)
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread kind of mimics my answer... it depends - there are different preferences for different systems and situations and groups.

For me personally, I like combat AND I like non-combat situations, including interactions with NPCs (perhaps a shopping scene and perhaps a scene in the throne room of the castle) as well as wilderness exploration (with or without combat), puzzle solving, and big picture strategics (i.e. trying to suss out the major plans of the main villain and who seems to be their allies).

So I guess I would rate all of those equally - I enjoy them all to some extent and they are all appropriate at different times depending on the game/group/genre/campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is easy to add unscripted rpg scenes into any game but it is not always easy to go the other way.

Apocalypse World is a system where an entire battle could be decided by 1 roll or at least each one on one combat is and everyone will likely take a little damage regardless of the role without PC buffs. In addition, a PC is likely to be dead with 2 -3 bad combat roles in 2 sessions because healing is realistic. So, you have to really work to make that game more than 1/3 combat.

Meanwhile, Dungeon World can have a whole session of conflict but it is not nearly as likely as D&D as the fights generally take half as long (and are usually more dynamic AND characters don't increase much in HP throughout the game).

So, yeah, systems where HP are not increased at leveling should probably have less combat.

Generally, I prefer 1 major battle and 1 - 2 minor skirmishes and play about 5 hours. This would be between 1/3 to 1/2 in D&D, and 1/6 to 1/4 in grittier, more deadly combat systems.

So, Supers: 2/3 battle, 1/3 everything else
D&D: 2/5 battle, 2/5 exploration, 1/5 social interaction
Dungeon World: 1/3 battle, 1/3 exploration, 1/3 social interaction
AW: 1/6 battle, 1/3 exploration, 1/2 social interaction
Uncharted Worlds (AW meets Traveller): 1/4 battle, 1/4 exploration, 1/2 social interaction

But always at least one significant physical / space fight per session and always a little exploration and social interaction. The ratio depends more largely for me based on how violent and deadly conflict tends to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SabreRedleg wrote:
I thought the question was pretty obviously intended to be what percentage of the session do you spend on combat vs. everything else. That said, I have no idea.

Woudn't that be 'balance between combat and non-combat'?

Seriously, not sure. I know of players that don't roleplay in any situation, combat or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mallet wrote:
Indeed, some people consider social interaction on RPG Geek to be a kind of combat. whistle

Wait, you mean some people are raised so that social interactions are not the opening salvos in skirmishes?

I can only dream of what such a childhood would have been like...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rebuscarnival wrote:
combat vs boring

But you are playing Microscope on forum right now?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We tend towards very little combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Blood makes the grass grow! KILL KILL KILL!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
aramis wrote:
pdzoch wrote:

It's not Mark's, per se; it's in the D&D 5E rules, PHB, p. 8. I don't know if he used those terms prior or not, but they became common parlance in D&D 5E.

It should be noted that WotC started using the "3 pillars" approach to D&D as part of their research into what people wanted from playing RPGs, with a specific emphasis on D&D. They saw the negative reaction from some quarters to 4e and then went out and did a bunch of market research among their players. They condensed that down to, "These are the three things that people are most commonly looking for in games: Combat, Exploration, and Interaction." It's a good shorthand for creating adventures that satisfy a broad population.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd think Combat and Exploration are kinds of interaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
I'd think Combat and Exploration are kinds of interaction.

If you call it Roleplay you get the same response. Yes, any single word that you could use for the concept of, "Talking to NPCs," is going to have overlap with Combat and Exploration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is that what they mean by it? Fightin', explorin', and talkin' seems clearer to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Unwin
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
SabreRedleg wrote:
The "three pillars" comments piqued my interest, though. Is that a generally accepted framework? In my mind it seems to leave some things out.

I only saw that spelled out when 5th Edition D&D was coming out. I saw it as a reaction to the common (and facile) complaint that 4th Edition was highly focused on combat, to the exclusion of other aspects of adventuring.

SabreRedleg wrote:
Where do skill challenges fit in?

For me, in most games, skill challenges cover anything the rules don't cover, and even some of the things they do. I'm familiar with games that have extensive and reasonably functional rules for combat and much looser (or at least much less functional) rules for everything else. I figure this is in part because there's deemed to be only really one way to execute combat, and many ways to execute everything else, making combat the only thing it's reasonable to try to codify. Combat also seems to be a very common event in many games, though it's hard to pick apart whether detailed combat rules exist in response to this, or whether it exists in response to detailed combat rules.

In any case, skill challenges are for when specific rules can't or won't cut it, and simply deciding how something plays out isn't adequate. I commonly use them for situations involving "interaction" and "exploration" and I'd be willing to use them to handle "combat," in certain situations. I think they're also good for travel, crafting and research/investigation.

SabreRedleg wrote:
Some games have a lot of Investigation, which may overlap with Social Interaction or Exploration, but may involve something completely different.

I don't think the "three pillars" are meant to be separate. I think "Investigation" is definitely a mixture of "Interaction" and "Exploration," and possibly even "Combat." Personally, I think Combat should generally involve some Interaction with the enemy, because just pounding on the other side is fairly boring, but Interaction in Combat could also be about rallying troops, or evacuating non-combatants. Exploration and Combat could combine interestingly, too, I think.

What's a "completely different" thing you think Investigation would involve?

SabreRedleg wrote:
Some games have clearly defined Maintenance phases/scenes, like camping in Torchbearer or domain management in Pendragon. Even those games without a formalized maintenance structure will have some amount of time taken up by maintenance activities (choosing daily spells in D&D, for example).

The three pillars were really meant for D&D, but I'd chunk camping and any other survival activities under Exploration. Domain management, doesn't sounds like adventuring at all, so it's outside the scope of the three pillars.

SabreRedleg wrote:
How do you classify Planning and Analysis? It may not be a separate scene or interaction with the GM, but I know in my groups there have been times we've spent a significant amount of time discussing how clues fit together to solve a mystery or planning how to accomplish a difficult task.

It depends what the planning and analysis are for. One can plan for combat, exploration or interaction, and one can also analyze each of those. What worked against those monsters? Are we getting deeper or heading up? We know they were lying, but why?

SabreRedleg wrote:
And if we're talking about how time is actually spent at the table, there's always a certain amount of out-of-game banter.

That's outside the scope of the three pillars. They only refer to the actual adventuring.

That's as I understand it, anyway. I like the concept, but I have never played 5th Edition to see how it might actually be handled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
robbbbbb wrote:
aramis wrote:
pdzoch wrote:

It should be noted that WotC started using the "3 pillars" approach to D&D as part of their research into what people wanted from playing RPGs, with a specific emphasis on D&D. They saw the negative reaction from some quarters to 4e and then went out and did a bunch of market research among their players. They condensed that down to, "These are the three things that people are most commonly looking for in games: Combat, Exploration, and Interaction." It's a good shorthand for creating adventures that satisfy a broad population.

Ha, yeah, I don't make claims to having used the 3 Pillars prior to WotC. I just got it from them. I think Patrick meant that as well, and was just referring to my use of those ideas to answer the OP. I think it's a handy way to break down D&D, at least (and potentially some others?). Everything should feel like one fluid experience, and we could create sub-categories within each of the three. But yes, I think most or all of the game can be put into one of those buckets for comparative purposes.

We do also have to remember the context in which the terms became popular, which Rob mentions, which was in reaction to 4e, which was perceived as combat heavy. It's not perfect, but I think it was a necessary correction to reframe broad areas of gameplay. The more mass market something is, the more it needs easily digested, generalized concepts in which to frame the crunchier stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mawilson4 wrote:
We do also have to remember the context in which the terms became popular, which Rob mentions, which was in reaction to 4e, which was perceived as combat heavy.

As far as I can tell, 4e was perceived as combat heavy because combat was fun and people enjoyed playing combats in it so bothered to do more combat rather than any actual reduction of support for non-combat.

That and a generous dose of "my wizard can't automatically defeat any non-combat problem with a spell anymore, therefore the game doesn't support non-combat problems!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.