World of Gor: Gorean Roleplaying World Encyclopaedia
These Weird Breads Are Sad
The Solo Investigator's Handbook
Wollstonecraft The Role-Playing Game
Maze of the Blue Medusa
The Two-Headed Serpent
Slaves of the Machine God
The Forsaken Kingdom of Fungithrill
Dungeons & Dragons Basic Set (Second Edition)
Labyrinth Lord
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook
Apocalypse World
Microscope
Vornheim: The Complete City Kit
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Monster Manual (D&D 5e)
Kids on Bikes: Deluxe Edition
Forbidden Lands Core Boxed Set
Passion Guides My Hand
Book 01: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain
The Flood
Warhammer Adventure
B1: In Search of the Unknown
Masks of Nyarlathotep (3rd & 4th edition)
The Deryni Adventure Game
Eyes Only
B10: Night's Dark Terror
Deadlands
The Great Pendragon Campaign
T1: The Village of Hommlet
Forgotten Realms Campaign Set
Book 1: The War-Torn Kingdom
Faction Guide
Swords & Wizardry Complete Rulebook
The One Ring: Adventures over the Edge of the Wild
Gildenbrief (Issue 25 - Jul 1992)
Monster of the Week
The Covetous Poet's Adventure Creator and Solo GM Guidebook
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
The Strange
Microscope Explorer
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
140 Posts
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 

RPG» Forums » Community » The Tavern

Subject: Name the TV Series from the Synopsis rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin
msg tools
badge
An enthusiastic but inept cyborg solves crimes with the help of his niece.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thrift Thopter
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Some people call this junk. Me, I call them treasures.
mbmbmbmbmb
Inspector Gadget.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
msg tools
badge
Correct!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thrift Thopter
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an idea that I want to try. This might be easy, but I think it will be fun. Instead of describing the series, I’ll describe some of the characters, like this:
Character 1: In this show, there’s a character who commands a large number of allies, which include a wolf and warriors from a certain northern culture, of various temperaments. This character and some of those close to them are associated with certain old gods that had traditionally been worshiped in a place that has an unusual climate. (I will mention some spoilers, about some characters, but I’ll put a spoiler box underneath each character so that people who haven’t seen the show don’t get worried about specific characters.)
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Something tragic happened to this character at a stone location that can only be reached by bridge, because of something they did for the sake of someone who they were extremely close with.
2nd line, to make everything even.

Character 2: There’s a character who was orphaned at a young age. They grew up with their sibling, in what I’d call a small building, until a rich man came and took them away. Despite their unpleasant childhood, they eventually obtained three dragons that are the last of their kind in the world, and became a highly influential person in their own right.
No spoiler.

Character 3: There’s a character who lives in a castle, that has long hair and distinct eyes.
While they seemed to already be extremely well off, both before and during their marriage, they gained great power after the death of their spouse. When fans of the show think of this character, they remember the various acts of treachery they’ve committed, in order to get what they want. Both Characters 1 and 2 considered this character an enemy, as they both considered them at least partially responsible for lost family members.

Character 4: There’s a male character who goes almost everywhere with his male friend, who they’ve been close with for years. Character 4 commands a large number of warriors and has a sibling whose name starts with the letter S, who had lived in a separate location for a long time. Their sibling begrudged the fact that they lived where they did, while their brother remained in the home of their paternal lineage. While the two siblings couldn’t always see eye to eye, Character 4 decided that if they and their large force of warriors could defeat Character 3, they would bestow upon their sibling the benefits of the glory of the king’s hand.
However, Character 4 never got around to this. A magic user from another continent, whose name starts with the letter M, came up with a plan that could kill the character. The event took place at a location next to the ocean, and the character’s sibling played a part.

Character Group 5: There is a group of characters, who are based (in terms of headquarters,) on one or more islands. They are all proficient in a certain method of transport and serve an entity of great power, which is based (in terms of inspiration,) on a certain kind of sea monster. One of them has a five-letter name, ending in “alon.”
No spoiler.

Character Group 6: There is a family of characters, who come from a land of deserts. The father of the family doesn’t do much. His eldest child is his daughter, who doesn’t get along that well, with the rest of her family for a while.
No spoiler.

There are two brothers, the eldest of which doesn’t do much for a long time. Eventually, however, he travels to another continent and does something very daring to prove himself worthy to someone who is very influential, as he wishes for them to accept him, and allow him to formally become a part of their family.
He does this by trying to control a dragon, but he just ends up angering it, and being blasted by it.

The younger brother is focused on a member of the royal family, from their home continent.
No spoiler.

Character 7: There is an attractive female character whose name starts with M.
They had involvements with Character 4, but their relationship didn’t go as far as it could have. They eventually ended up in the castle of Character 3, which placed them in a position to gain wealth and power.

Character 8: There is a large-chested female character, who never wants to take part in the various conflicts that occur throughout the show. She is attracted to a short character, from a humble background. She also displayed a strong dislike of a different short character. This one is blonde and very intelligent.
No spoiler.

Character 9: There is a character whose family is associated with fish and wants to maintain their family’s way of life the way their father did, but they are nowhere near important as any of the other characters that I’ve mentioned.
No spoiler.

Group 10: There are evil beings from a land of a very different climate from the one where most of the characters on the show live. Almost no one is aware of them early on in the series, and even those who do learn of them during the series can do basically nothing about them, until much later on.
No spoiler.

There is a part of this series that is so different that it’s practically its own show. (It may or may not actually be a separate show.): There is an isolated place in this world where certain types of people are sent. People can go there willingly if they want to, but normally, only those committed to do something for the rest of their life would choose to do this. In this place, the previously mentioned old gods have more presence than in most of the rest of the world, but even here, there are few that worship them.
Eventually, a group that is devoted to ”The Light” arrives and begins trying to get people to convert.

Character B1: There is a character whose first name starts with J. and their last name can refer to a certain wintertime precipitation. This character is known for being told that they know nothing (or something like that). They have a companion that’s an unusual variety of creature to begin with, but is even more unusual, in that it has notably more white than others of its kind.
This character bonds with a strong woman and gains great authority.

Character B2: This character is the youngest of three brothers. The family is well off, considering the standards of the times, but this character has left the relative luxury of their family home and come to this place. However, not long after the show starts, they set out for the cold north.
No spoiler.

Character B3: One of the characters whose job involves training the new arrivals takes an immediate disliking to Character B1 and is a thorn in their side for most of their time in this place.
No spoiler.

Character B4: This is a notably fat character, whose father doesn’t have much confidence in them, but Character B1 accepts them as a friend.
No spoiler.

Character B5: After a while, a female character is introduced, who comes from a people of a barbarian-warrior culture.
She becomes romantically involved with a certain scholarly character.

Note: It’s not Game of Thrones.devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I guess that it is probably an asian anime tv series that I have never heard of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thrift Thopter
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is an anime T.V. series, but I believe that most people have heard of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerry B.
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That was a staggering amount of work on your part!

Hail-Mary-pass of a guess: Avatar: The Last Airbender?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thrift Thopter
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It isn't Avatar. This is a Japanese anime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
msg tools
badge
Record of Lodoss War?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thrift Thopter
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No. I haven't heard of that anime.

Since I'm only listing facts about characters that make them comparable to Game of Thrones characters people are probably getting thrown off, but this is a very widely known show. If you've entered a Walmart at any point after the early 2000's, you should have seen merchandise for this show, there. This show is popular enough that multiple board games and video games have been based on it, so considering the nature of this website, I'm surprised that it's taking people a while to think of this. I guess it's because we're in the RPG domain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Well, I was nonplussed two weeks ago by the non-reaction of RPG users following the death of the widely known film music composer Michel Legrand, so ...

I guess that the cultural divides on this forum are much wider then I thought, but then I have only been on RPG Geek for about a year.

More info about Michel Legrand here:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/26/obituaries/michel-legrand...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/michel-legra...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thrift Thopter
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In this case, I'm not sure I'd say that it's a matter of cultural divide (though it could be generational divide, considering the fact that I'm not sure what the average age range is, here). I think that it's a matter of me trying not to be too obvious about something that has been everywhere, (at least in my area,) for the past two decades.

I'm not sure of the exact years that this show aired in Canada, but when it did, Wikipedia says that it was on YTV. In America, it aired on Kids' WB from 2001-2006. During this time, it also aired on Cartoon Network.

Keep in mind that while everything that I said above is true, not everything that I said is important, and not everything that's important was said. If I get too specific about a show like this, most people (that I know) could probably name it, regardless of whether they've watched it.

I'm sorry if this has been annoying for anyone. As I said, I thought that this was well-known enough, that someone would get it sooner than this. Let me know if you need more hints.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McKinney
United States
Lone Jack
Missouri
flag msg tools
evil appears as good in the minds of those whom gods lead to destruction
badge
The Battle on the Ice, ending in a major defeat in the Northern Crusades.
mbmbmbmbmb
Does it have the word dragon in it's title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thrift Thopter
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, but the main character's name is in the title.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
msg tools
badge
I got nothing. Maybe I'm too old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Abbott
Canada
GTA
of Confusion
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe I know, but did not come by the title in what I would consider an acceptable fashion for the spirit of the quiz. So I'm not making an official guess.

For the benefit of demographers, I am 52 but a fan of animation in general.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thrift Thopter
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris has found the right show.

I was about to give up, and give one final, and very obvious clue, but now, I've invited him to try to think of a hint that he would consider to be helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thrift Thopter
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright. This will be my last attempt to give a clue for this. I'll start with a redacted version of my geekmails with Chris:
bobcatt wrote:
Thrift Thopter wrote:
bobcatt wrote:
[Series Name]?

If it's true, I didn't obtain the answer by means which I would consider acceptable for this contest, it's just bugging me to know if I'm on the right track.

Good timing. I just logged on, and checked on the thread, a minute ago.

It is [Series Name.] Would you like to help me, by giving hints to the other RPGGeekers in the thread, that you think they might get? I was almost ready to give up, and give one final, extremely obvious hint.

Also, out of curiosity, how widespread is [Series Name] in Canada? In my area, you can find it still being sold in many towns, in various types of stores.

Thanks, now I can stop wondering

I remember seeing the show heavily advertised on YTV, but I was watching other content at the time.

I have no recollection of seeing any merchandise for sale currently, but then I only visit a couple of game stores (infrequently) and I haven't been looking at much of the CCG section content...

There is a collectible card game for this anime. I'll now reduce the first two character descriptions to the most important sentence for each character:
Character 1 and some of those close to them are associated with certain old gods that had traditionally been worshiped in a place that has an unusual climate.

Character 2 obtained three dragons that are the last of their kind in the world, and became a highly influential person in their own right.

Once again, I'm sorry if anyone was bothered by how long this took. As I told Chris, this franchise is still all over the place, where I'm from, so I wasn't expecting people to be so unfamiliar with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
6 out of 7 dwarves are not "Happy"
mbmbmbmb
Thrift Thopter wrote:
Once again, I'm sorry if anyone was bothered by how long this took. As I told Chris, this franchise is still all over the place, where I'm from, so I wasn't expecting people to be so unfamiliar with it.

Nah it's cool! :-)
I'm excited to learn what the answer is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Still totally mystified.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thrift Thopter
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I gave what I said was my final hint, last night, at 9:17 Eastern Time. I'll wait until (my first opportunity after) 9:17 tonight, to give people a chance to think of a show with a trading card game, that they may have seen in their local game stores, or other stores. If no one gets it by then, I'll look through the thread for someone who has either not had a turn, or hasn't had one, in a long time.

Until then, while I have given what I believe is the last helpful hint, I'll give a few more hints, just for the fun of it:
This franchise has 6 main T.V. show installments, the most recent of which is still airing, today. There have been multiple movies, that have aired in theaters, one of which was multi-generational.

In the 1st of these series, while there are several recurring characters, there are three particular characters, who are always important. The protagonist wore something gold and lead various people around on adventures. The 2nd most well-known character wasn't as emotional as the rest of the characters, often wore a blue outfit, was good with technology, and had a brother who appeared in an unpopular movie. The 3rd most well-known character didn't get along with the 2nd one, and their primary motivation involves providing medical care.

In the 2nd series, the next generation of characters have adventures of a similar nature to those in the first series, though their work environment is more luxurious. There is a strict dress code, where most characters need to wear red, yellow, or blue uniforms. The main character has the least noticeable hair out of any of the franchise's protagonists. This show has more recurring friendly aliens than the first one.
There was a time when the good guys had to work against the main character, because he lost his mind and was causing mass-devastation. They were able to get the him back to normal, but he continued to feel guilt about what he'd done. He could remember what happened, even if they hadn't been them-self at the time. This caused some psychological problems for them, later on, though they didn't talk to many people about it.

The 3rd series is darker than the previous ones. The protagonist is darker as well. In this series, there is a place I'll refer to as "the satellite," which is not luxurious, and located at the site of an unnatural aperture, which people weren't aware of until it started to open. "The satellite" is also located near a place with a larger population. Most of the series takes place around these locations, but sometimes the characters will travel to other places. The characters in this series usually use vehicles that are small compared to most other vehicles of the time. The main character has been chosen by one or more supernatural entities to save the world from evil. Other themes in this show include cults and time travel. There is a good character who doesn't know where he came from.
He learns that he's one of the enemy.

In the 4th series, characters physically travel farther from Earth, than those in any other series. There are several hostile aliens.

Fans thought that the 5th series started out average-to-okay. After the escalation of certain events, the show became very compelling, for awhile, but many fans were disappointed with how the end of the series was handled. Characters from the 2nd series made appearances. In this show, something devastating happened to the Earth and unlike most of the previous series, there's a drawn-out war.

The 6th series has many unusual elements. The main character has one of the most unusual back stories of any of the characters in the franchise. Americans can only watch this show on a certain streaming service, but it does air on Canadian T.V., though not on YTV.

In case you were wondering, there sadly is no Star Trek anime with dragons and magic. There's just the animated series form the 70s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
msg tools
badge
Naruto?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thrift Thopter
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not Naruto. There's only one sequel series for that, so far. (Shippuden doesn't count as a separate series to me, because it's just a continuation of the original, after a three-year time skip. It still has the same main character.)

If people want me to reveal the answer and get the thread moving again before 9:17, I can, unless you want me to keep giving clues, whether short and direct, or long and without of context.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
msg tools
badge
Well, at this point I'd probably be reduced to going down the list of CCGs in Wikipedia and guessing each one with a Japanese name in the title. Which doesn't seem very much in the spirit of the thread.

I suspect it's something I have probably heard of, but haven't seen any episodes of the show, any of the movies, or played any associated games. Personally I went through a long phase where I chose not to have or watch TV, which coincided with the explosion of anime on North American TV. So I doubt that offering more details about characters and plots I've never seen will be very helpful.

But if other people want to keep playing that's fine with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Pickel

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Trek fits, but that isn't anime
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.