World of Gor: Gorean Roleplaying World Encyclopaedia
These Weird Breads Are Sad
The Solo Investigator's Handbook
Wollstonecraft The Role-Playing Game
Maze of the Blue Medusa
The Two-Headed Serpent
Slaves of the Machine God
The Forsaken Kingdom of Fungithrill
Dungeons & Dragons Basic Set (Second Edition)
Labyrinth Lord
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook
Apocalypse World
Microscope
Vornheim: The Complete City Kit
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Monster Manual (D&D 5e)
Kids on Bikes: Deluxe Edition
Forbidden Lands Core Boxed Set
Passion Guides My Hand
Book 01: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain
The Flood
Warhammer Adventure
B1: In Search of the Unknown
Masks of Nyarlathotep (3rd & 4th edition)
The Deryni Adventure Game
Eyes Only
B10: Night's Dark Terror
Deadlands
The Great Pendragon Campaign
T1: The Village of Hommlet
Forgotten Realms Campaign Set
Book 1: The War-Torn Kingdom
Faction Guide
Swords & Wizardry Complete Rulebook
The One Ring: Adventures over the Edge of the Wild
Gildenbrief (Issue 25 - Jul 1992)
Monster of the Week
The Covetous Poet's Adventure Creator and Solo GM Guidebook
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
The Strange
Microscope Explorer
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

RPG» Forums » General Discussion » Game Masters

Subject: Is it ok by asking players to help fill in some gaps .. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ed
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Get yer finger off my head!!
mbmbmb
I decided to start running DnD at work every month and it's been a great experience so far. The group that I have is fresh to the RPG scene. I have GM'd before but only for 1shots that lasted an hour or two. My co-workers have enjoyed the sessions so far and want to continue to play as long as we can.
My question is, would it be fine to ask the players for some input for world\town building? For example, asking our monk player what he sees when he goes into an unknown town( ie giving him the moment to improvise a shop or temple) I know this seems lazy in a sense but I would like to get the cooperation of the players so they feel like they have a say in how this world looks. So in the end is this ok or should I scrap the idea and have everything preset?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I do it all the time, but this depends on group consensus.

Try it and see how people feel about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'Cause we know what we feel...
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
Asking for that is not lazy. It's a good thing. It will get the players thinking about things and get them invested in the campaign. Plus, they'll invent stuff you would never think of on your own, leading to a richer campaign experience.

Make sure you retain "final say" though. It's not going to work well if a player comes up with a town and then tries to run the town when the characters show up. Players can help create, but the GM is still the GM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Fantastic! Thanks :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Messersmith
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
admin
designer
With your head held high and your scarlet lies You came down to me from the open skies It's either real or it's a dream There's nothing that is in between
badge
Twilight, I only meant to stay awhile Twilight, I gave you time to steal my mind Away from me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I do this all the time myself, so there is nothing wrong with it. It works great for me.

The only caveat I would add is that there are some people that won't like this, for all kinds of reasons:

* They can't think on their feet very quickly.
* They are easily embarrassed or not very confident
* They want to only come up with stuff about their own character, coming up with stuff outside their character is not of interest or actively puts them out of the mood

So one thing I do is make it clear to the players that they can always turn the question back around to me if they don't want to answer it. In other words, they know if I ask the Monk "What does the town look like?" the Monk is completely ok to say "I don't know, Hans, what DOES the town look like?" and then I answer as the GM.

But yeah, some (many? most?) players really enjoy this kind of input in my experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
ZOMBIFIED ed wrote:
My question is, would it be fine to ask the players for some input for world\town building?

Not just fair, but an excellent part of "best practices" for RPGs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Unwin
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's great to see the positive responses here. As noted, not everyone sees this as permissible. We can't say whether or not it will work with your players, but it definitely can work.

If you're looking for advice on the practice, I have some I'd be happy to offer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I'd say spill the beans on what you know!
I have a session on Friday and hope to put em to use
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Unwin
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Alright then. I'm on my phone, so I'll give an overview and you can ask for details if you want.

Ask leading questions that leave room for unusual answers.
Try to default to accepting the first answer you get, and then adding on to it.
Encourage players to be definite, rather than hesitant.
Encourage players to modify via addition, rather than negation.
Advise avoidance of absolutes.
Try to use newly established facts immediately and put the focus on them.
Be prepared to let go of your own ideas in favor of player ideas.
Don't force anyone to add ideas - but encourage them to if they're not enjoying your ideas.
Try to interconnect what the players establish, rather than having each player off on a different direction.
Discuss with the players the ways in which they like to be challenged and what they like to have at stake, and work with what they tell you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
To riff off Pauls excellent list...

Explain Paul's guidelines, especially hitting "Add, not negate."

One version this process, especially for those new to the idea, is to hand everyone a 4x6 card. Everyone puts down one kind of setting place of interest.
Pass the cards to the right. Everyone adds some detail. Repeat until everyone gets the card back that they started with. Read it, name it.

Repeat for setting factions.

If appropriate, repeat for personal nemesis.

If you're really brave, have everony write a campaign conceit. Shuffle them, deal them, have everyone add one line of opposition or goal... then shuffle, read them, and vote for which.

What is a campaign conceit? It's a one-liner that explains how and why the characters are together and what kind of adventures to play. Examples are: "Local heroes." "Mercs with hearts of gold." "The King's spies" "random folk united by imprisonment." "crew of a merchant ship."

Opposition or goal... "Dread Pirate Roberts" "We want to become rich and retire" "To become powerful Wizards" "to end the tyrant's reign" "The king's guard is looking for us."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Dutré
Belgium
Leuven; Puurs
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, of course, I do that as well.

Some more narrative-driven rpg's even have invented mechanisms around this, e.g. rotating the role of "narrator", or giving players votes or veto-tokens etc. Some systems even have evolved into GM-less systems, I would consider those more experimental though.

But I think a free-form style works better when coupled with a more traditional rules engine such as D&D.

However, as GM, I always keep the power to veto anything I don't like, but that seldom happens once you have outlined the type of setting and the players accept their role - i.e. co-creating the world, filling in gaps, but not being the master-creator or try to wrestle control of the major plotlines of the campaign that the GM is running :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
enduran wrote:
Ask leading questions that leave room for unusual answers.

Yes, such as instead of asking "why is this town noteworthy" you ask "why do people say to avoid this town?" and then ask another player "what do the people that don't believe in that say is the real reason to avoid this town?"

Now you've established two possible, competing reasons that the town is avoided (or insert adjective of your choice) and that people rumor monger about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also recommend buying a copy of Beyond the Wall: Further Afield. It is an OSR game (1st ed. AD&D style) expansion book but it mostly has FANTASTIC rules for building a home town together, creating rumors by the other players and assigning an accuracy rating to these rumors, and getting inspiration from your players, all of which could work for any version of D&D, and many other fantasy rpgs.

Edited to correct the title of the book
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J White
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Inkwan wrote:
I also recommend buying a copy of Beyond the Wall: Further Afield. It is an OSR game (1st ed. AD&D style) expansion book but it mostly has FANTASTIC rules for building a home town together, creating rumors by the other players and assigning an accuracy rating to these rumors, and getting inspiration from your players, all of which could work for any version of D&D, and many other fantasy rpgs.

Interesting! Why has nobody done a review of this?!

JJW-T.C.H.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jjwhite103 wrote:
Inkwan wrote:

Interesting! Why has nobody done a review of this?!

JJW-T.C.H.

Apparently I should! I couldn't find it before today because I kept looking for Beyond the Wall: Further Afield. I never just searched Further Afield.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Messersmith
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
admin
designer
With your head held high and your scarlet lies You came down to me from the open skies It's either real or it's a dream There's nothing that is in between
badge
Twilight, I only meant to stay awhile Twilight, I gave you time to steal my mind Away from me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Inkwan wrote:
Somehow I missed Beyond the Wall and Other Adventures, Michael, thanks for that tip! I'm going to investigate that game, it looks intriguing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
msg tools
badge
skalchemist wrote:
Inkwan wrote:
Somehow I missed Beyond the Wall and Other Adventures, Michael, thanks for that tip! I'm going to investigate that game, it looks intriguing.

I wrote a review of it here:
Small Is Beautiful

OP: I do this all the time. As many people have mentioned, not everyone is comfortable with this. Some people react very negatively -- they want to explore a world and any amount of worldbuilding pulls them out of their feeling of immersion. But in my experience, most people are okay with at least some of this. you can start small -- most players are comfortable describing their character. You can expand slightly:

- Where does your character come from?
- What is your family like? Your people's culture?
- Have you been to this tavern here? What's your relationship with the bartender?
- What does it look like when your character crits the ogre?

All those you can build off of pretty easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dysjunct wrote:
skalchemist wrote:
Inkwan wrote:

I wrote a review of it here:
Small Is Beautiful

OP: I do this all the time. As many people have mentioned, not everyone is comfortable with this. Some people react very negatively -- they want to explore a world and any amount of worldbuilding pulls them out of their feeling of immersion. But in my experience, most people are okay with at least some of this. you can start small -- most players are comfortable describing their character. You can expand slightly:

- Where does your character come from?
- What is your family like? Your people's culture?
- Have you been to this tavern here? What's your relationship with the bartender?
- What does it look like when your character crits the ogre?

All those you can build off of pretty easily.

Indeed you did! In fact, I might have bought it because of your review!

But, no review for Further Afield...yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.