World of Gor: Gorean Roleplaying World Encyclopaedia
These Weird Breads Are Sad
The Solo Investigator's Handbook
Wollstonecraft The Role-Playing Game
Maze of the Blue Medusa
The Two-Headed Serpent
Slaves of the Machine God
The Forsaken Kingdom of Fungithrill
Dungeons & Dragons Basic Set (Second Edition)
Labyrinth Lord
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook
Apocalypse World
Microscope
Vornheim: The Complete City Kit
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Monster Manual (D&D 5e)
Kids on Bikes: Deluxe Edition
Forbidden Lands Core Boxed Set
Passion Guides My Hand
Book 01: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain
The Flood
Warhammer Adventure
B1: In Search of the Unknown
Masks of Nyarlathotep (3rd & 4th edition)
The Deryni Adventure Game
Eyes Only
B10: Night's Dark Terror
Deadlands
The Great Pendragon Campaign
T1: The Village of Hommlet
Forgotten Realms Campaign Set
Book 1: The War-Torn Kingdom
Faction Guide
Swords & Wizardry Complete Rulebook
The One Ring: Adventures over the Edge of the Wild
Gildenbrief (Issue 25 - Jul 1992)
Monster of the Week
The Covetous Poet's Adventure Creator and Solo GM Guidebook
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
The Strange
Microscope Explorer
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
83 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

RPG» Forums » General Discussion » General Role-Playing

Subject: QOTD FEB 7: What makes a role playing game "old school"? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: qotd [+] RPG_Design [+] RPG_Hobby [+] [View All]
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
Because they have no body to go with.
badge
Why don't skeleton ever go trick or treating?
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than being an old RPG (there are numerous new RPGs that taut being an OSR), what makes a role playing game "Old School"?

Do you have a question you want asked as QOTD? Post here!

And if you want to find an old QOTD: The big QOTD Summary and Subscription Thread Volume 3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lev
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
Duck and Cover!
mbmbmbmbmb
The constant threat of a TPK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
fixed level advancements. meeple
too much hack'n'slay
d20
(now ducks and runs off ...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger
United States
Montgomery
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pdzoch wrote:
Other than being an old RPG (there are numerous new RPGs that taut being an OSR), what makes a role playing game "Old School"?

Do you have a question you want asked as QOTD? Post here!

And if you want to find an old QOTD: The big QOTD Summary and Subscription Thread Volume 3

This is a non question. Until YOU define "old school", I can not answer this question. On Enworld someone posted an article of Old School vs New School. Trouble was half of what was listed as New School I was seeing in 1980. And half of what was listed as Old School is currently happening in my Adventure League group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Azukail Games
msg tools
designer
publisher
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that really depends on who you ask. Different people seem to have different ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
henry proctor
United Kingdom
Corfe Mullen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jasperrdm wrote:
This is a non question. Until YOU define "old school", I can not answer this question. On Enworld someone posted an article of Old School vs New School. Trouble was half of what was listed as New School I was seeing in 1980. And half of what was listed as Old School is currently happening in my Adventure League group.

Then the question is effectively how do you define "Old School". Clearly you disagree with the Enworld poster. Why? Please elaborate.

I think people will agree that at least 1st ED D&D is "Old School".
How far beyond that, will likely vary.

Given when/where I've seen comments like "how Crom intended" and the like, I would say rolled stats over point buys have a more "old school" feeling.
A hard HP cutoff between living and dead is also a sign. (No death saves)

Sometimes it's easier to define what it isn't. So I'd say the usage of dice with symbols on them is certainly not Old School.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
henry proctor wrote:

How about until Dragonlance?

Dragonlance changed a lot, from adventure design (for better and for worse) right down to the game's genre, which shifted from sword and sorcery to high fantasy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
If someone at least 10 years my elder can look at me with slight bemusement and start a sentence with "In my day we used to have to deal with..."

Then it's old-school.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
jk I have no idea
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebus Carnival
United States
Da Burbz
DC METRO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oh, you can stand it alright.
mbmbmb
henry proctor wrote:

Chainmail or bust.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Unwin
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
For me, "old school" is anything played for how it "feels" rather than for any functional design goals it intentionally achieves (or, at least, tries to achieve).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Messersmith
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
admin
designer
With your head held high and your scarlet lies You came down to me from the open skies It's either real or it's a dream There's nothing that is in between
badge
Twilight, I only meant to stay awhile Twilight, I gave you time to steal my mind Away from me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can only talk about what I perceive as common practice around this term in my own conversation and reading circles. Others will obviously have different perceptions. Too much text follows...

I usually only hear "old-school" on its own, without qualifier, with respect to D&D-like games. Like, if you wanted to play GURPS 1st Ed, people would say "we're doing GURPS 1st Edition", but if people were playing 1st Ed D&D, they would just say "we're going old-school", if that makes sense. So that would be the first element. Just being old is not "old-school", it has to be old D&D.

Given the above, "old school" is both a description of system, and a description of a style of play, and sometimes is used inconsistently along those dimensions.

For style of play, it easier to consider it by example. My friend Justin is running the Rappan Athuk megadungeon using D&D 5E, but he is purposely going for an "old-school" style of play. By this he means play that has the following elements (among others)...
* No level/encounter security - you could easily blunder in to an area of the dungeon far more dangerous than you can handle
* Expectation of a lot of player-level strategy and tactics - players will speak openly about the challenges they face and try to develop plans to handle those challenges
* An actual map to crawl - not a series of chained encounters
* "rulings not rules" - an expectation that players will try to do all kinds of stuff that the rules don't account for, and the GM rolls with that and adjudicates.
But he is using D&D 5E, which is definitely not old-school.

For system, the most obvious old school games are things like Old School Reference and Index Compilation (OSRIC), which are literally re-written versions of some old form of D&D. But in addition, there are games like The Black Hack that are inspired by old-school ideas. System features I have encountered that I've seen described as old school include...
* Simple characters, with relatively few traits and special feats/powers/etc.
* Simple monster descriptions; monsters usually take up no more than a few lines of text, as opposed to entire blocks of space in later versions.
* Race = class constructions - e.g. you play an Elf, or a Cleric, but you can't play an Elf Cleric.
* A lot fewer rules in general
* Contradicting that, a lot more rules on certain things that had a lot of rules back in the day. (I think this differentiates two distinct streams of "old-school" to some extent, those that are looking to simple early versions of D&D versus those looking to somewhat later more complicated versions for inspiration).
* a focus on random generation of story elements (people, places, things, character features, etc.).
* a focus on "crawls" - dungeon, hex, point, etc.

Again, all of the above is meant to be descriptive, not creating a definition. I don't think the term really has a useful definition, it is more useful in describing the desires and aesthetic preferences (as Paul suggests above much more succinctly than I do) of the person using it than it is in describing anything about the games themselves. If someone says they want "old-school" I can fairly reliably guess they mean at least some of the following:
* a focus on player and GM choices, not rules systems. That is, if they are facing a dangerous situation they will be disappointed if that situation is resolved through some skill checks, and happier if the situation is resolved through some kind of player creativity.
* a focus on dangerous situations, not interpersonal ones. Anything that gets in the way of kicking down doors, killing things, and taking treasure will be considered a distraction.
* interacting with a detailed situation instead of telling a story. That is, they will be perfectly happy to crawl two hours through a dungeon room by room, but will find any kind of major "plot" development as a bit of a distraction, or actively try to subvert it.

Not everyone who loves old-school likes all of those things, obviously. But those are some of the things I have seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bokser
Israel
Pardes Hanna
flag msg tools
designer
Guess What?
badge
You Rock.
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it interesting that age-old cultural phenomena aren't usually referred to as being "old school", but more recent phenomena (relatively speaking) are often divided into "old school" and "new school".

Is Bach's music "old school"? Nah. 80's/90's hip hop? Def old school.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Lee
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I've trotted this out before, but in the words of Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart, "I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material I understand to be embraced within that shorthand description, and perhaps I could never succeed in intelligibly doing so. But I know it when I see it..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Messersmith
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
admin
designer
With your head held high and your scarlet lies You came down to me from the open skies It's either real or it's a dream There's nothing that is in between
badge
Twilight, I only meant to stay awhile Twilight, I gave you time to steal my mind Away from me.
mbmbmbmbmb
As another way to look at "old-school", I think it is worth mentioning two games that I have heard described as the antithesis of old school. Its sometimes easier to understand a concept by looking at what it is not. I'm not judging either of these games below, one is one of my favorite games ever and the other I think is quite solid. Again, I'm trying to be descriptive, not defining something.

Fate Core - Fate has one big feature that a person who loves "old-school" is likely to hate; an underlying system that can be used for every kind of interaction. This means that every situation can be solved by the mechanics: skills+fate points+aspects. This can be illustrated by the example of solving a fiendish trap. In an old-school style game, players are either encouraged to find some clever solution to get around, deactivate, or deal with the trap or alternatively spring the trap and get hurt because they didn't notice it. They have to come up with this solution AS PLAYERS, by poking and prodding the situation and asking the GM questions and proposing solutions. In Fate, they could roll "Trap Expert" or similar to Create Advantage to make an Aspect "Good scheme to disarm the trap", then roll to disarm it, spending fate points along the way and invoking the aspect. That aspect, "Good scheme to disarm the trap" will, in my experience, make someone who says they love the Old School run screaming from the room.

Dungeon World - I think Dungeon World is probably the most divisive game among people who say they like the Old School, because there are some that hate it with a deep and abiding hate, and some that enjoy it tremendously. It is divisive for bunch of reasons, a lot them I would call "cultural baggage", which are honestly tedious and not worth much discussion here, but arise from the indie games movement in the 2000's and the reaction to it. It doesn't help that this system is cloaked, from an old-school perspective, in a lot of new-school language like "agenda", "principles", "moves" and "fronts". So much so that Michael Prestcott of the Trilemma blog felt he needed to write a whole blog post trying to translate the games for old-school folks: http://blog.trilemma.com/2018/10/pbta-for-old-school.html

But there is an important system element that truly divides people. This is the fact that Dungeon World obviates the whole "rules not rulings" element of old school gaming by providing a clear distinction between what things MUST be resolved by rules and what things MUST be resolved by rulings. Is there a Move? Use rules. If not, GM makes a ruling. The old-school paradigm is that there is a continuum, from the GM simply saying what happens, through a simply skill or ability check demanded on the fly, to a series of planned checks/rolls, to combat, etc. for the GM to determine the appropriate way to resolve a situation. But Dungeon World has no continuum, it is dichotomous; Move (a specific set of rules) or no Move (a GM ruling). This really divides people; some see it as a great simplification, a "clearing of the air" as it were, that makes the whole game more straightforward. But others see it as a direct affront to the level of GM authority they believe is necessary for old-school gaming.

As an aside, I've tried using Dungeon World in an "old-world" style, you can see my report about it here: https://rpggeek.com/thread/2098599/devils-molar-mega-dungeon... In practice I think it really works for some things that people would consider "old school" style elements, but not for everything, and it requires a radical adjustment in GM attitude to certain common "old-school" elements, such as traps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"All history is made up. Good history is made up by good historians; bad history is made up by the others." -David Macaulay
badge
"We talked a little more of Milesians and Firbolgs; but I do not write what he told me here, as it is at variance with things I have written already, as is often the case with legend, whence comes a pleasing variety." -Lord Dunsany
mbmbmbmbmb
Old school is so far outside my tastes I've never looked closely at it, so have no idea what it is.

In fact, I simply consider it a form of D&D, and I literally could not tell you a single difference between any edition of *D&D from another, or from any old school game. Because, you know, I don't examine closely anything I have no interest in ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Unwin
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes, Dungeon World is an interesting case. It was obviously designed to evoke some of the feel of "old school" through "new school" mechanics. As someone who tends to avoid the old school feel, the intent of the game often rubs me the wrong way, but because it gives me, as a player, so much control, any real issues with it that I might have in play will be due in no small part to what I establish.

I feel like the intent behind Fate is rather old school, because old school tended to allow for the blending of "fluff" and "rules" that Fate makes explicit. I feel that part of the "feel" of an old school game is players arguing that something should work because it makes sense. For instance, one might claim that a dwarf should get a bonus on dealing with a stone golem, because dwarves know about stone, and an old school GM would be obliged at least to consider that (though there's nothing from stopping any GM from saying yes to something like that). All Fate really does is cut out the middleman, a bit, by saying "If you think something should be true, then it's true... within limits." A dwarf could have an aspect like "Dwarves know about stone," and would be quite entitled to spend a fate point to invoke that aspect for a benefit when dealing with a stone golem.

Fate, overall, is not old school, but it seems clear to me that it's design owes a lot to how some people play in old school games. It's "rulings not rules" but with rules. It can easily be seen as a way to demonstrate how "rulings not rules" can work for people who don't see it. I never liked the "rulings not rules" approach but Fate (really one of it's predecessors, Spirit of the Century) made it clear to me how it could work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Silva
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My old school is palladium, cyberpunk 2020, marvel superheroes, Wod.

When I played them they were already old school for some, completely novelty to others.

I like building my own systems and playing them so whatever comes out feels already old.

The new old is the old new.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'Cause we know what we feel...
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
All ya'll that think Olde Skool can't be reasonably defined are wrong.

You know it's Olde Skool if...

Almost everyone at the table is wearing readers.
One or more players at the table is using oxygen.
There is a grand-kid also playing in the game.
The game starts in the afternoon so it can conclude before 7:30 PM.
The junk food mostly is a veggie tray.
At least 1/4 of the time is spent using horrific Monty Python accents.
Somewhere in the scenario, there will be a damsel in distress.
The damsel in distress looks much like either Farrah Fawcett or Cheryl Tiegs.
The table in the next room has spouses doing a Ravensburger puzzle.
Occasionally from the next room a spouse will holler something like "remember your diabetes!" or "don't get his blood pressure up!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
Currently Playing 2 games: Star Wars Edge of the Empire and Labyrinth Lord (Barrowmaze)
mbmbmbmbmb
d10-1 No expectation of balanced encounters

d10-2 You may be expected to use modern real-world knowledge to solve a puzzle or riddle

d10-3 PCs do not level up at the same rate

d10-4 Attributes are determined randomly, not selected via point-buy

d10-5 Natural healing is SLOW and magical healing is expensive and hard to obtain at low levels

d10-6 Death rate is high at low levels

d10-7 Player metagame discussions are acceptable when strategizing a way around a dangerous situation

d10-8 Lots of random table usage by the DM

d10-9 Rules are sparse, so the DM must make ruling on the fly because there is often no written rule covering a specific situation

d10-1d10-0 Resource management (e.g. torches, spikes, rations, rope) are likely to become important elements of the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Unwin
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
I agree with DMSamuel's list because I generally dislike all of those things, at least how I've experienced them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it's part nostalgia and part roguelike (yes, the video game genre).

I actually started playing video game RPGs before pen-and-paper RPGs, so for me, Old School will always be Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (2nd Edition) as portrayed by the Gold Box series of video games.

What this boils down to:

• Low Hit Points/High Lethality: character death is a real and present danger and very likely to happen over and over again
• Randomly rolled stats, often assigned in order
• Epic overland adventures (maps!) with terrain and weather conditions as characters travel from one dungeon to the next
• Lots of Dungeon crawls with sweet loot tucked away in hidden rooms
• Powerful Dragons!
• Need for diversified character classes or races: a party of all mages or all elves will not get as far as a party with multiple classes or races.
• Experience leads to gaining levels, which leads to more/better abilities and/or improved ability to survive
• Lots of random tables!
• Need to eat/drink or suffer fatigue
• Weight burdens/carrying capacity/tracking how many of each item you have matters

Granted, not every "old school" game I play will have all of those, but they hit enough of the points to make it feel "old school" to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Silva
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
enduran wrote:
I agree with DMSamuel's list because I generally dislike all of those things, at least how I've experienced them.

Meh, our likes & dislikes are not defining in new school- old school thing.
Genesys combat is the equivalent of always rolling against a difficulty.
My combat is always have opposing rolls.

Both are pretty modern implementations of parts of old systems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Unwin
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
shiva666 wrote:
enduran wrote:

Meh, our likes & dislikes are not defining in new school- old school thing.

No, but it often seems as though the traits of "old school" are chosen specifically to turn me off. In fact, I get a strong sense that the entire concept is meant to send a signal to one's own "kind," to say "Hey, the people you don't like won't play this kind of game, so you can relax."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
d10-1 Minimalistic rules except for combat.
d10-2 either Class & level or very broad skills
d10-3 either published before 1984 or attempting to emulate such games or be compatible with adventures and bestiaries from such games
d10-4 no "balanced encounter" expectation
d10-5 risk of death in combat is high.
d10-6 Usually, save-or-die traps in exemplar adventures
d10-7 Usually, hit-point systems for damage tracking
d10-8 Usually, Either...
1 Combat and magic mechanics only
2 Combat mechanics and non-combat mechanics differ
d10-9 Usually, Experience tracked in large numbers (thousands).

Note that I count Original D&D, AD&D 1E, T&T, S&S, Palladium Fantasy, Mechanoids, Valley of the Pharaohs, WFRP 1E, Classic Traveller, to be genuine old-school.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Messersmith
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
For me it's part nostalgia and part roguelike (yes, the video game genre).

I actually started playing video game RPGs before pen-and-paper RPGs, so for me, Old School will always be Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (2nd Edition) as portrayed by the Gold Box series of video games.

*snip great list*
Granted, not every "old school" game I play will have all of those, but they hit enough of the points to make it feel "old school" to me.
I find that really interesting Caroline. That's the first time I've seen that particular spin on "old-school", with specific reference to the old D&D gold box video games. I think it is possible that far more people played those D&D video games than actually played D&D (although I don't have the data to prove it), so your viewpoint on what counts as "old-school" might be much more common than my own reading would indicate, especially for people who are coming into RPGs now.

Moving a little forward in time, I feel pretty confident in saying that far more people played Baldur's Gate than any tabletop RPG, so I wonder if there will be a new "old-school" trend to try to replicate that experience in tabletop?

Anyway, its an interesting phenomenon. On a related note, I've noticed recently a lot of people who play D&D in our local game cafe scene are coming into role-playing from the eurogame side of things. That is, they have been playing games for a long time, but their first game was Catan or Carcassonne, not D&D or (in my case), Squad Leader. Those people will have a very different idea of what constitutes "old school", I would guess, if they even have a concept of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.