World of Gor: Gorean Roleplaying World Encyclopaedia
These Weird Breads Are Sad
The Solo Investigator's Handbook
Wollstonecraft The Role-Playing Game
Maze of the Blue Medusa
The Two-Headed Serpent
Slaves of the Machine God
The Forsaken Kingdom of Fungithrill
Dungeons & Dragons Basic Set (Second Edition)
Labyrinth Lord
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook
Apocalypse World
Microscope
Vornheim: The Complete City Kit
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set
Monster Manual (D&D 5e)
Kids on Bikes: Deluxe Edition
Forbidden Lands Core Boxed Set
Passion Guides My Hand
Book 01: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain
The Flood
Warhammer Adventure
B1: In Search of the Unknown
Masks of Nyarlathotep (3rd & 4th edition)
The Deryni Adventure Game
Eyes Only
B10: Night's Dark Terror
Deadlands
The Great Pendragon Campaign
T1: The Village of Hommlet
Forgotten Realms Campaign Set
Book 1: The War-Torn Kingdom
Faction Guide
Swords & Wizardry Complete Rulebook
The One Ring: Adventures over the Edge of the Wild
Gildenbrief (Issue 25 - Jul 1992)
Monster of the Week
The Covetous Poet's Adventure Creator and Solo GM Guidebook
Player's Handbook (D&D 5e)
The Strange
Microscope Explorer
Kerry B.
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
trystero11 wrote:
I've posted before, repeatedly, about playing Dread, though oddly neither Google nor I can find those posts at the moment.

The short version: I hated hated hated hated hated this resolution mechanic and as a result hated hated hated hated hated the game.

See, I feel just the opposite: the tension of resolving the mechanic should enhance the tension of the narrative and vice versa.

Oh! And I just remembered Deadlands's use of a standard deck of playing cards, which was both novel and thematic (especially if you were playing a huckkster).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'Cause we know what we feel...
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
Roleplaying involves a vast suite of impedimenta that most gamers don't think much about. But, seeing (particularly) a GM hauling in a crate of stuff isn't an uncommon sight.

Dice and character sheets, check

Books aplenty
More books
Magazines
Books for other RPGs
Board Games
Card Games
Graph paper/hex paper pads/loose
Player handouts (paper/physical)
Photocopies/binders/sheets
Sketchpads
Dice bags/boxes/tins/towers/rolling pads
More dice than can be used (x10)
Random randomizers (spinners, tops, rings, coins, printed tables)
Pencils, pens, markers, erasers (pencil/dry/wet)
Battlemaps, mats, terrain tiles, Tact-tiles, dungeon components
Miniatures, tokens, markers, status tokens
Spell area-of-effect templates, ruler, string
Dungeon dressing/terrain items (flats/3-D)
Cards (either integral or used for crits, equip, etc)
Junk food, soda, burrito, dinner, deep-fried Twinkie
"Mini office kit" (stapler, sharpener, scissors)
Smart phones, tablets, chargers, power packs, cables
Show-and-tell randomalia (anything from rare coin to sword to funny picture to full plate mail)
Kitsch clothing items (usually t-shirts)

Played with one guy who always wore his "DM Hat" when he was DMing - it was like an old jester cap, except filthy and disgusting

And all of that above would be for a game that everybody considers a "traditional tabletop game" that you only need "this book, paper, dice, and your imagination" to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Bailey
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
“I would have made this instrumental, but the words got in the way...” —XTC, “No Language in Our Lungs”
badge
“Self-discipline isn’t everything; look at Pol Pot.” —Helen Fielding, _Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason_
mbmbmbmbmb
Birmy wrote:
trystero11 wrote:
I've posted before, repeatedly, about playing Dread…the short version: I hated hated hated hated hated this resolution mechanic and as a result hated hated hated hated hated the game.

See, I feel just the opposite: the tension of resolving the mechanic should enhance the tension of the narrative and vice versa.

(first fifteen minutes of the game)
GM: "If you want to (open the door|go up the rotting stairs|peer in through the window), you'll have to pull from the tower."
Me: "Okay, then I don't do that."

(after fifteen minutes)
GM: "<something bad> happens. Pull a block from the tower."
Me: "…well, predictably, I die. That was fun."

Annoyance I certainly felt; tension, not so much. It might have been tense if I didn't already know I was a klutz who's bad at Jenga
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the time, the physical objects tend to be pieces of paper with things written on them, honestly, or cards:

• I've used handouts of what NPCs look like.
• I've used minis and maps, both drawn with markers as play progresses and printed maps with rooms already created.
• I've used various types of cards (part of a Tarot deck for a the Deck of Many Things) not to mention some RPGs are played with standard playing cards.
• I've handed out hand-drawn images for a unique magic system created for a game.
• I've played in a game where the GM handed out actual journals filled with information at certain points in the game to players with high enough Int/Wis to read them.

However, I'm perfectly fine with having just theater of the mind... or posting to a thread with nothing extra.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
One Squirrel to rule them all, One Squirrel to find them, One Squirrel to bring them all and in the darkness TPK them.
mbmbmbmbmb
Only such game I've played is Dredd. I enjoyed it as a one-off gimmick but it is not something I'd want to play regular. I prefer more traditional games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne r
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only rpgs I've experienced that don't use dice were in the Marvel licensed games:

MSHRPG- My first exposure to rpg based on Marvel universe. Loved it! The things I remember most were the stunts which allowed your hero to grow in interesting ways and the doom card which got you out of a sticky situation but knew it woud bite you in the a$$ later on.

MURPG- My personal favorite superhero game. Loved that the powers were so modular allowing you to create any type of superhero. Also loved that it had no randomization but the movement of stones among characters made fights very interesting.

There was also CthulhuTech which had an alternative to dice. The mechanics worked with regular poker decks in place of dice if you wanted. Still waiting for 2nd edition...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter BOSCO'S
United States
Anchorage
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No mention of poker chips?

I've played a number of games that used them. We often used multiple colors of chips for various in-game resources "The blue chips are Fate, the red chips are threat, and the green chips represent the storm outside."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
msg tools
badge
Boscos wrote:
No mention of poker chips?

Ahem.

dysjunct wrote:
Various counters. Glass beads, poker chips, etc. Strongly approve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
When will the die stop rolling? What face finishes showing?
mbmbmbmbmb
I once tried using metal coins instead of tracking money on paper. The players ended up fiddling with the coins instead of playing.

I quite like Throwing Stones as a game -- it uses dice but no character sheet. It was somewhat over complicated by the need to be a competitive dice game in addition to an RPG.

Pauli
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Robben
Belgium
Antwerp
Antwerp
flag msg tools
And here...
badge
I should really add something smart and sparkly here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we used it all at some point. Cards, IT, props, metal money, poker chips, jenga tower, dressing up for a game, toy pistols, maps and terrain full of mini's... We even had a full-on warhammer battle as a campaign finale.
I once got to borrow The Shadowrun City (a massive prop FASA used to demonstrate the game) and ran a few games in 3D until it was needed for the next convention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
pdzoch wrote:

What are your experiences playing an RPG that used physical objects other than dice and character sheets? (e.d Dread which uses a Jenga tower).
[/thread]

I find this ALMOST a non-sequitur...

Non-requisite

I've used Poker chips for damage tracking, expendables tracking, progress on tasks, and even in place of minis.

I've used many a tracking sheet for various purposes. Sometimes I make playmats for the players to use in tracking things

I use an initiative track system I got from Litko in many cases.

I rarely use nice minis, but I often use cubes and meeples.

Maps. Maps galore.

A few other odds and ends. In one group, a talking stick.

Requisite:
Regular bridge/poker decks:
Castle Falkenstein - Cards instead of dice for play, separate for magic. I liked it, player base less so.

Deadlands (Original Edition) - Cards for CharGen and Magic - play uses dice. Never got into campaign.

Starchildren - dice replacement. Never got past CharGen - players couldn't grasp the setting.

Custom Card Decks

Freemarket - resolution system slow but fun for me, setting hard for my players. I liked it well enough. I was part of the playtest. I'd love to have the final version...

Dragonlance: Fifth Age - I LOVE THIS GAME. 9 suits... 8 for the attributes, 9th for dragons (and the GM)... Char Gen is randomized with the cards, but still a lot of choice. Great game.

Marvel Super Heroes Adventure Game - I really like this one. 5 suits - central distribution bulge by multiple cards. Excellent game for supers.

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (3rd Edition) - custom dice for resolution, but non-random cards for abilities... lots of little bits and track pieces. not so much a fan. Lots of good ideas, but in combination, cumbersome.

Everway - never got past rules. Overall reaction of the group: "WTF?"

Epiphany - each magic using character has a custom deck.. Love the setting, mechanics good. 2E is a totally different game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

No physical object other then my faithful laptop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Silva
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried some things like reg card decks for character creation, with some success

upwords, boggle & passtah for visual battle grid, with meh results...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Dee
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used various tokens to allude to certain things in the game- it seems that currency in a game ups the stakes psychologically (i.e. they want to have a big pile to spend).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
I think I remember a deck of cards, lead ridden miniatures, a human skull, and a wizard cap...from time to time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Messersmith
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
admin
designer
With your head held high and your scarlet lies You came down to me from the open skies It's either real or it's a dream There's nothing that is in between
badge
Twilight, I only meant to stay awhile Twilight, I gave you time to steal my mind Away from me.
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
I think I remember a deck of cards, lead ridden miniatures, a human skull, and a wizard cap...from time to time.
I'm hoping the cap was on the skull, that's what I am picturing at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
skalchemist wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
I'm hoping the cap was on the skull, that's what I am picturing at least.

Might be a cursed cap....skull belonged to someone, not saying it was a player. Not not sayin' it. zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

You had the Head of Vecna on your shelf, didn't you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
admin
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'Cause we know what we feel...
badge
I'm #2
mbmbmbmbmb
shiva666 wrote:
...boggle...for visual battle grid, with meh results...

Please, to elaborate? I love Boggle. I've never considered it to be a battle grid, though... how do you implement it as such?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ink
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am trying to convince my wife to play this Once Upon a Full Moon which uses poems, the hearts suit, and a string.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.